Non-Item Specific DPR king candidates

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
A long time ago there was a thread discussing strategies and builds when either you couldn't rely on getting specific items, or you were in a non-magic world.  Obviously the game breaks if you don't have the boost to-hit offered by magic weapons, and thus we will assume candidates simply have access to a vanilla +X armor, weapon, neck slot item and that's it, no boons.  You get these items at level 1(+1), 6(+2), 11(+3), 16(+4), 21(+5), and 26(+6), so we'll do DPR analysis at level
1(+1), 6(+2), 12(+3), 16(+4), 24(+5), and 30(+6). 

Either post candidates here or on the DPR king candidates.  I'll keep the DPR king candidates thread as up to date as possible.
I think the ranger and avenger will do the best in this arena.

Key
0 Magic enhancement/feat/feature meant for weapon but used on implement (jagged dagger for sorcerer, cunning glaive, disruptive net, sorcerer daggermaster, wizard + polearm momentum)
1 Lasting frost + frost weapon
2 Typed damage confers keyword to power (shocking flame adds lightning keyword to melee attacks)
3 Student of ciaphon PP
4 Windrise ports background
5 off-hand weapon properties w/o off-hand attack( Vanguard,Thundergod, subtle...)
6 Twin strike / Throw and Stab
7 White lotus master riposte
8 Hybrid class
9 (free)
~ Non-RPGA legal material (dragonmarks(mark of Storm...))
+ Versatile master
% Bloodiron
= (free)
? (free)
@ Dragon material in general
^ (Feycharger) Fey Charge + Eladrin Swordmage Advance [+White Lotus Riposte]
& (free)
* (free)
- (free)
# (free)

This legend is not to discourage you from using the following items but to help others find builds that are allowed at their table.  Please don't disuss legality of these items.  I'm simply trying to find a way to remain unbaised allowing for as many candidates in as possible.  This list is not for non-DPR related elements(orb of imposition...).

Template entry

DPR followed by name of build, and author.
Please put in parenthesis the cheese you use.  If you want to separate non-critical cheese please seperate with semicolon(;).  Please refer to normalized defenses as an optional number to report.
If you assume Combat Advantage (Rogues I'm talking mostly to you) Please put 121 DPR(CA), and if you're charging use (Ch).  Unless you're a rogue please explain in your build why you can assume CA, or unless you're a Prime punishing ranger who's built around soloing, please explain why you can comfortably make certain assumptions.  We may come up with other exceptional assumptions later.  I'd like to veer away from needing too many keys and lookups.

138 DPR Stormwarden(30), by LordDuskBlade (1,6;@) [nAC=9, nfort=8, nref=10, nwill=-5]

or simply (minimum)

138 DPR Stormwarden (1,6;@)

DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
without crunching anything, i'm going to throw it out there that I don't think anything will beat a Half-Elf (Twin Strike Dilettante) Avenger/Ardent Champion/Sage of Ages with Two-Weapon Opening and paired Waraxes.

Doesn't rely on any enchantments or keywords. Just... cuts the lawn.
Anything with lots of static damage mods.  Yeah, Twin-Strike Avengers have a lot of potential for this.  I would think a Morninglord would be your best bet if you accept that a Paingul Oath attack is a Radiant keyword attack and Pervasive Light allows all further attacks to benefit from the Radiant Vulnerbility from Morninglord.

Even without items, radiant abuse is possible and potent.

Pit Fighter is the other obvious source of static mods.

Pit Fighter is the other obvious source of static mods.

Son of mercy would do well for a few level 12 candidates
DPR King Candidates 3.0
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
A gith brutal scoundrel would be good during heroic;
4th level
STR 15
CON 10
DEX 21
 INT 8
WIS 13 
CHA 10

Feats;
1 Gith Blade Master
2 Versatile Duelist
4 Backstabber

Equipment; +2 Bastard sword. Nothing else matters.
To hit; +14 (counting CA since the damage also counts CA) 
Damage; d10+2d8+10 (5 DEX, 2 Feat, 2 STR, 2 Enhancement, 1 Versatile)
DPR with Piercing Strike, counting in crit; 24.425

The numbers seem off to me, since he hits on a 2, which seems wrong. But I can't find out what is wrong.
Anyways, this character doesn't care what equipment he gets as long as it is a bastard sword, and it hits pretty hard all through heroic. It lags during Paragon when other rogues go Daggermaster, so Kensei would probably be the best bet. But he'd have to lost some DEX to get his STR up to a point where the Kensei powers are not a waste. 
One-half of the tabletop gaming news podcast Going Last Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.
4th level
STR 15
CON 10
DEX 21
 INT 8
WIS 13 
CHA 10

Feats;
1 Gith Blade Master
2 Versatile Duelist
4 Backstabber

The numbers seem off to me, since he hits on a 2, which seems wrong. But I can't find out what is wrong.
Anyways, this character doesn't care what equipment he gets as long as it is a bastard sword, and it hits pretty hard all through heroic. It lags during Paragon when other rogues go Daggermaster, so Kensei would probably be the best bet. But he'd have to lost some DEX to get his STR up to a point where the Kensei powers are not a waste. 

Wouldn't you get more DPR by making odd str and dex?  
if you doubt the correctness of your to-hit please lay it out as you see it and we can confirm? 
DPR King Candidates 3.0
4th level
STR 15
CON 10
DEX 21
 INT 8
WIS 13 
CHA 10

Feats;
1 Gith Blade Master
2 Versatile Duelist
4 Backstabber

Wouldn't you get more DPR by making odd str and dex?  
if you doubt the correctness of your to-hit please lay it out as you see it and we can confirm? 

You'd get more DPR by getting 16 STR and 20 DEX, but I built this character as though it were in actual campaign play rather than living only in the danger room (which I admit doesn't make sense for DPR calculations). 
To hit with 20 DEX; +5 DEX, +3 Prof, +2 Level, +2 enhancement, +2 CA= 14
Damage with 16 STR and 20 DEX; +5 DEX, +3 STR, +2 Feat, +2 Enhancement, +1 Versatile= 13
Bumps the DPR with Piercing strike to 28.425 
One-half of the tabletop gaming news podcast Going Last Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.
Since when was a bastard sword a light blade, sling, or crossbow, which rogues are proficient with???

The best rogue weapon is the double sword, 1d8, +3 to hit, and +1 AC.  It happens to also be BOTH a Light and Heavy Blade, qualifying for both sets of feats.  Brutal Scoundrels are easily going to have the stats to optimize this item.

A bastard sword, however, is not a rogue weapon.

What is Gith Blade Master and where is it?  I'm guessing it makes Githzerai proficient with Bastard Swords, but you still need a light blade for sneak attack.
Since when was a bastard sword a light blade, sling, or crossbow, which rogues are proficient with???

The best rogue weapon is the double sword, 1d8, +3 to hit, and +1 AC.  It happens to also be BOTH a Light and Heavy Blade, qualifying for both sets of feats.  Brutal Scoundrels are easily going to have the stats to optimize this item.

What is Gith Blade Master and where is it?  I'm guessing it makes Githzerai proficient with Bastard Swords, but you still need a light blade for sneak attack.

Versatile dualist lets you use heavy blades for sneak attacking and powers that require light blades.
DPR King Candidates 3.0

And DOuble Sword is just a d6/d6 light blwde now. No Light/Heavy shenanagins.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I'd respond, but I can't speak with my foot in my mouth...

Sorry, I missed that from the update.  I don't read the darn thing all the way through though.  So, they nerfed double sword into being useless...  it's completely subpar compared to simply dual wielding bastard swords or khopeshes now.  And they each require a feat...

So GBM gives him prof w/ the BS I take it?

BTW, where are those two feats, Gith Blade Master and Versatile Duelist?  I can't find them in any of my books.
BTW, where are those two feats, Gith Blade Master and Versatile Duelist?  I can't find them in any of my books.

D378 (and yes, prof with Bastard Sword and Fullblade) and D381 respectively.

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Sorry, I missed that from the update.  I don't read the darn thing all the way through though.  So, they nerfed double sword into being useless...  it's completely subpar compared to simply dual wielding bastard swords or khopeshes now.  And they each require a feat...

The double sword is still good, rather than being completely overpowered. Marauder rangers who want light blades could use the double sword to good effect, as could melee warlocks, hybrid fighters who can't afford the tempest fighter hybrid talent. Really, any melee classes who can benefit from wielding two weapons and don't have great AC and can't wield any weapons as off hand can still make use of the double sword.
Necro-bump.  Let's see if we can get some more fleshed out builds.  Plenty of people play games where they get random items and cannot rely on specific ones.
DPR King Candidates 3.0

eye for an eye

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 6
Elf, Monk|Ardent
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid): Centered Breath (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk: Hybrid Monk Fortitude
Ardent Mantle (Hybrid): Mantle of Clarity (Hybrid)
Hybrid Ardent: Hybrid Ardent Fortitude
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid): Hybrid Power Point Option
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Spear)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 10, Dex 20, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 10, Dex 17, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 10.

AC: 20 Fort: 18 Reflex: 20 Will: 19
HP: 47 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +14, Stealth +13, Athletics +9, Endurance +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +2, Insight +7, Intimidate +3, Nature +9, Religion +2, Streetwise +3, Thievery +8

FEATS
Level 1: Valenar Weapon Training
Level 2: Versatile Expertise
Level 4: Two-Blade Warrior
Level 6: Crashing Tempest Style

POWERS (All that I use for DPR)
Hybrid at-will 1: Dancing Cobra

ITEMS
Magic Scimitar +2, Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2, Amulet of Protection +2, Magic Club +1
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

This is my first dpr build, using only basic magic items because a group will either have the basics or better, so basic is a fine assumption for non-items (to me) to keep up with hit chance and crit damage.  Use of vanilla items approved in first post of thread.

my dpr for this version is 19.35 based on the calculator from...http://dndcalculator.blogspot.com

DPRNormal= (Miss Chance * Average Damage on Miss) + (Hit Chance without crit * Average Damage on Hit) + (Crit Chance * Average Damage on Crit) + Static Damage

(.3*0) + (.65*26.5) + (.05*42.5) = 17.225 + 2.125 = 19.35 DPR (22.00 if we start assuming CA)

The only assumption I made with this build is that an enemy will take an OA I grant by moving.  That is where "eye for an eye" gots its name.  Since this assumption would mean I take damage a good amount of time, I decided to hybrid my monk into ardent to get +4 to defenses during an OA.

Since my build uses centered flurry of blows, which slides my opponent, I am considering deadly draw, but I haven't worked out the DPR change for it yet.

eye for an eye part 2

level 6
Elf, Monk|Ardent
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid): Centered Breath (Hybrid)
Hybrid Monk: Hybrid Monk Fortitude
Ardent Mantle (Hybrid): Mantle of Clarity (Hybrid)
Hybrid Ardent: Hybrid Ardent Fortitude
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid): Hybrid Power Point Option
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Spear)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 10, Dex 20, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 10, Dex 17, Int 8, Wis 15, Cha 10.

AC: 20 Fort: 18 Reflex: 20 Will: 19
HP: 47 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +14, Stealth +13, Athletics +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +3, Heal +7, History +2, Insight +7, Intimidate +3, Nature +9, Religion +2, Streetwise +3, Thievery +8

FEATS
Level 1: Valenar Weapon Training
Level 2: Versatile Expertise
Level 4: Deadly Draw
Level 6: Two-Weapon Fighting

POWERS (All that I use for DPR)
Hybrid at-will 1: Dancing Cobra

ITEMS
Magic Scimitar +2, Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2, Amulet of Protection +2, Magic Short sword +2

DEFENSES
nAC:14,  nFORT:12,  nREF:14,  nWILL:13

So this one takes out the +2 damage to flurry of blows from club off hand for +1 damage and conditional CA.  this increases my dpr to...

(.722715*25.5) + (.05*41.5) = 18.43 + 2.075 = 20.5 DPR! Yay, I broke 20 DPR at level 6 with no specialization!
DPR when you add in Deadly Draw is as follows
Pnew = 1.11111*pold + .0005  where pold is the chance of hitting w/o deadly draw.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
4th level
STR 15
CON 10
DEX 21
 INT 8
WIS 13 
CHA 10

Feats;
1 Gith Blade Master
2 Versatile Duelist
4 Backstabber

Hitting on a 2 seemed weird to me also, and I think I know what is up.  You are using a level 6 item at level 4.  So to me, you should either raise your character to level 6 (add +2 to enemy defenses) or take a +1 bastard sword (-1 to attack and damage).  Also, assuming CA really helps the build.  I understand it is essential for rouges, but still...

Assuming CA gives you 21.75 at level 6

The Underwhelming Macguyver!!!! level 30.

I've used inherent bonuses here, but they can easily be replaced by any generic +6.

I'm gaining CA via a combination of Hobbling Strike and Viscous Advantage.

The Build

MacGuyver, level 30

Revenant, Ranger, Stormwarden, Radiant One

Build: Two-Blade Ranger
Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting Style
Ranger: Running Attack
Choose your Race in Life: Half-Elf
Background: Windrise Ports (Windrise Ports Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 16, Dex 18, Int 24, Wis 22, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 8.

AC: 44 Fort: 35 Reflex: 39 Will: 37
HP: 188 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 47

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +19, Arcana +22, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +21, Endurance +20, Heal +21, History +22, Insight +23, Intimidate +17, Nature +21, Perception +21, Religion +22, Stealth +19, Streetwise +15, Thievery +19, Athletics +16

FEATS
Level 1: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 2: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 4: Melee Training (Intelligence)
Level 6: Weapon Master
Level 8: Half-Elf Soul
Level 10: Adept Dilettante
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Defensive Advantage
Level 14: Power of the Sun
Level 16: Hobbling Strike
Level 18: Vicious Advantage
Level 20: Group Defense
Level 21: Slashing Storm
Level 22: Lethal Hunter
Level 24: Defending Dabbler
Level 26: Font of Radiance
Level 28: Armor Specialization (Hide)
Level 30: Mark of Warding

POWERS
Dilettante: Virtuous Strike

ITEMS
Falchion, Elderhide Armor

The Unfortunate Initial To-Hit and Damage...

+6 Wis
+15 Half Level
+3 Proficiency
+6 Generic Feat Bonus.
+6 Inherant or generic +6 weapon.

+33 over all (50%)

Damage:
+6 wis
+3 Generic Feat Bonus
+6 Inherent or generic +6

=15+4d4 (average 8)

5% chance to crit doing 3d6 damage.

Blade Storm:+4

Twin-Blade Storm:+4

Slashing Storm:+6 (factored into chance to hit on above.)

+2d8 Hunter's Quarry (1d8 given up to slow)

Over all DPR: 29.18 - Wow. Items and not sucking at attack roles are important Sealed

To-hit and Damage after that until I miss...

+6 Wis
+15 Half Level
+3 Proficiency
+6 Generic Feat Bonus.
+6 Inherant or generic +6 weapon.
+2 CA.

+35 over all (60%)

Damage:
+6 wis
+3 Generic Feat Bonus
+6 Inherent or generic +6
+7 Radiant One
+8 Sun Domain

=30+4d4 (average 8)

5% chance to crit doing 3d6 damage.

Blade Storm:+4 +7(Radiant One)+8(Sun Domain)

Twin-Blade Storm:+4 +7(Radiant One)+8(Sun Domain)

Slashing Storm:+6  +7(Radiant One)+8(Sun Domain) (factored into chance to hit on above.

+2d8 Hunter's Quarry (1d8 given up to slow)

Overall DPR:

75.95 - Doing my job, with no item dependency! Cool

So yeah... what I've learned is that item use is important, as well as to keep my attack stat high...

lol

Wolf

EDIT: Note, using generic magic weapons will up the damage very slightly as there would be a further 6d6 on crit - but I'm not relying on items! The damage wouldn't change THAT much if I was using an improvised weapon (sharpened metal cup anyone?) rather than a falchion - don't thank me... thank the moon's gravitational pull.

Well, I decided to finish my swordmage build using one of the worst epic destinies known as Arcane Sword.  I couldn't pass up the opportunity to use an encounter power as an at-will.  I decided to remake it alittle from when I started posting, so we will see how it goes.

The Magic Man

level 30
Githzerai, Fighter|Swordmage, Academy Master, Arcane Sword
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Ensnarement
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Arcane Admixture Damage Type: Arcane Admixture Cold
Hybrid Talent: Fighter Armor Proficiency
Spellsword Perfection: Dimensional Charge
Trusted Spellcasting: Dimensional Charge
Arcane Admixture Power: Dimensional Charge

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 22, Dex 10, Int 28, Wis 14, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 8, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 11.

AC: 46 Fort: 42 Reflex: 44 Will: 36
HP: 211 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 52

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +22, Athletics +20, Arcana +31

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +14, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Dungeoneering +17, Endurance +18, Heal +17, History +24, Intimidate +16, Nature +17, Perception +17, Religion +24, Stealth +12, Streetwise +16, Thievery +12

FEATS
Level 1: Githzerai Blade Master
Level 2: White Lotus Riposte
Level 4: Versatile Expertise
Level 6: Oncoming Storm
Level 8: Echoes of Thunder
Level 10: White Lotus Enervation
Level 11: Lasting Frost
Level 12: Deadly Immobilization
Level 14: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 16: Deadly Draw
Level 18: Mark of Storm
Level 20: Paragon Defenses (retrained to Robust Defenses at Level 21)
Level 21: Intelligent Blademaster
Level 22: Total Aegis
Level 24: Hindering Shield
Level 26: Hybrid Talent
Level 28: Trusted Spellcasting
Level 30: Arcane Admixture

POWERS
Hybrid encounter 27: Dimensional Charge (replaces Ensnaring Bolts)

ITEMS
Amulet of Protection +6, Magic Voidhide +6, Heavy Shield, Magic Bastard sword +6

The DPR of this guy has 2 different modes; before hit and after hit.  Once I hit, about 4 feats kick in.

Before hit
(.35*26) + (.60*52) + (.05*91) = 9.1 + 31.2 + 4.55 = 44.85

After hit
(.15*33) + (.8*66) + (.05*105) = 4.95 + 52.8 + 5.25 = 63

Unfortunetly, I used to be able to immobilize the enemy, and now he is only slowed.  It still works, but the person isn't totally forced to attack me.  However, they are still marked, and if they attack me, double dpr from White Lotus Master Riposte.  That ups my dpr to 89.7 and 126 when the DM honors my marks.  Do you think ensnarement or shielding is better?  It doesn't affect my dpr.