Lord of the Pits: Ranger/Pit Fighter/Demigod

155 posts / 0 new
Last post
Given that Extra Damage Action only affects Standard Action attacks, I don't think there is any difference between spending the Action Point immediately after Trip Up or after Off-Hand Diversion
For that matter, regarding AC at level 30:

Predator's Hide +6 = 45 against your quary, 42 against everyone else. (+3 to all your other defenses as well against your target).
Agile Nagascale +5 = 46 AC when you aren't bloodied, 43 when you are (+1 to fort).
Dwarven Elderscale +6 = 46 AC all the time.
Agile Elderscale +6 = 49 AC when you aren't bloodied, 46 when you are.

I'm coming up with a little higher for Predator's Hide, given that I swap the 3 feats spent on Chain Proficiency, Scale Proficiency, and Scale Specialization on Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Defense, and Hide Specialization.

AC: 43 --> 10 base, +15 level, +4 ability (Dexterity), +5 armor, +6 enhancement, +1 feat, +1 shield, +1 Armor Optimization

Still a bit of a deal-breaker for me, because I'd be very vulnerable were I to be swarmed, because I can only Quarry 1 enemy at a time, and it costs me more gp. As for Agile +6: it's just too expensive.
Given that Extra Damage Action only affects Standard Action attacks, I don't think there is any difference between spending the Action Point immediately after Trip Up or after Off-Hand Diversion

There really isn't. The only reason Off-Hand Diversion is there first is a backup, should the MBA from Nonchalant Collapse or Nonchalant Collapse itself miss. On second thought, I think the sequence is fine as it is, given that you have multiple chances of triggering Trip Up before and after the AP.
Ah, that's a good point.  Thanks!
I was wondering in a nova round how are you supposed to get next to the monster you want to nova on.  In turn 1 you are rolling initiative and using all 3 of your minors, and then on the nova turn there is also not any movement.

Am I missing a trick to get next to the monster or are you just hoping that the monster rushes you?

Or are you supposed to apply Begin the Hunt, Move next the the monster, use an attack power, and then on the next round use that as your prep round?

Thank you, 
That's a bit of a thornier problem than what it used to be, since the Boots of Eagerness were nerfed. The main thing I'd suggest is cooperation; an allied Warlord with Knight's Move goes a long way. Otherwise, you'd have to spread the prep time out over 2 rounds as you engage and do your thing.
Excellent thanks for the quick reply.
Also, bear in mind that you won't need all 1,696 damage to kill every Solo in the game (just the toughest ones), so if you have some background on the enemy and you know you can give up a minor and still put him down, go ahead and do it, then move up to him as normal.
Yes very true.

BTW, this build explanation is completely awesome and detailed.  I can see where and why you are taking everything at each level and it really helps me learn the intricacies of Min/Maxing.  So I appreciate it greatly.

Also the Build wiki is still pointing at your old pit lord build, and I'm looking forward to your Barbarian rebuild.

Thanks again,

I'm looking at making a Minotaur Ranger for a campaign coming up, and was wondering what your suggested feat progression would be to get the following racial feats in the lineup:

Opportunity Gore (Heroic)
Beast Within (Paragon)
Mythic Senses (Epic)
Vicious Stomp (Epic)

I was looking at the 'party-friendly' version, and it's easy to replace the h-orc racials, but that build seams to be missing "Trip-Up", and only has the three racials.   
LDB, I noticed the party-friendly version doesn't have the Prime Punisher and Called Shot feats, which makes sense for that particular build. It also means that Prime Shot is pretty much a wasted feature. Is it worthwhile taking the Running Attack feature instead?
I would still say not. You won't be in Melee Range all the time, and +1 to hit on what is otherwise a very lackluster Ranged Basic Attack is greatly appreciated.
I would still say not. You won't be in Melee Range all the time, and +1 to hit on what is otherwise a very lackluster Ranged Basic Attack is greatly appreciated.

Fair enough. Thanks!

OK, guys, I don't have any mechanical updates for you - but I DO have an illustration up in front. Tell me what you think of it (and be gentle; I drew it myself).
How better to illustrate a build so linked to you than with the image you use for your own avatar? He looks good, but I wonder, what race is he? Because he appears to have the elven ears, but with his beard he doesn't look very fey... 
Longtooth Shifter. The PHB 2 gives them the tapered ears, so I just ran with it.
Question. I get that Battlecrazed weapons get you a bonus to damage while bloodied a couple of times a day, so for pure damage optimization, they are the way to do.

But I am liking the Blood Fury weapon so I can be bloodied every encounter. That frees up the second bastard sword for something else, in my case Vanguard, since I tend to charge the first round of an encounter (after becoming bloodied and Longtooth Shifting).

Thoughts?

Like the picture, btw!
Well, you COULD just save up 680 gp and keep a +1 Blood Fury weapon around for these purposes, and your Battlecrazed weapons would also benefit greatly. I'm considering the idea myself.
Good thought. You could have a Blood Fury weapon dagger on your belt just for that.
It's also a great flavor tool, a consummate hunter carrying his all-purpose knife around. Well, I've talked myself into it. Let's see at what level I can fit that in.

Edit: Done; you'll find the Blood Fury Dagger in the inventory from L9 on.
It looks like Blood Fury is only Axe and Heavy Blade.  How about a Blood Fury Handaxe?
The only problem with the dedicated Blood Fury is then you have to work switching weapons around into your routine.
@mtusween: Good point. I'll make it a Long Knife instead. You're never going to actually attack with it; it's just for show, RP, and holding that property.

@Slyxen: Not really that much of a problem: the "big nova" will use Battlecrazed for action economy, but during the course of an encounter, burning two minor actions for +1/2/3d6 damage to everything for 2 turns sounds like a decent bonus to me.
I know you haven't fully worked PHB3 into your builds yet, but I think minotaur is a viable alternative in place of shifter. You still get the +2 STR and +2 WIS, but lose out on Longtooth Shifting. In return you get to pick up Beast Within (+1 to hit and +1 damage when bloodied), and Mythic Senses (use Perception in place of Initiative, so you have a great chance of going first, and taking Orcus down before anything else happens).
Really, picking up Beast Within is, for this build, the biggest draw for going minotaur. And it saves an action in the set up round (no Minor for Longtooth Shifting), allowing you to pick up the OoE MC feat (of course with windrise ports). 

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Unfortunately, that runs into the same problem my attempt to go for Half-Orc (which can give +2 to hit/+5 to damag when Bloodied, which beats the tar out of Minotaur for nova purposes, and it ends up with the same stat array): feat starvation. Any more feat-trimming, and my DPR values start to bottom out.
You took Spot Weakness but aren't using it in place of Longtooth Shifting for the Nova? Just waiting to update or?
It's a power bonus to damage rolls, so it doesn't stack with the Belt of Titan Strength. The novas at levels 12, 16, and 24 already have the change, though.
I am trying to do a level by level dps and nova calculation on this build so that I can use it as a reference for some hybrids I am creating.  Unfortunately, my dps calculations are not lining up with yours and I wanted to see if you could either point out where I am making a mistake or verify I am not making a mistake.

Here is your dps calculation for level 1:

(2)*(0.55)*(5.5) + (2)*(0.05)*(10) + ([0.55]2 + 2*[0.40]*[0.55])*(3.5) + (1-(1-0.05)2)*(6) 

You have a +6 to attack, are doing 1d10 damage and are trying to hit a 15.

Your chances of hitting will be 50% (9-19) with a 5% chance of critical. 

The basic Damage
 (2)*(0.55)*(5.5) - This is the term for the basic attack.  Why don't you have .50 instead of .55?  Where is the extra +1 to hit coming from?    I believe it should read:
(2)*(0.50)*(5.5) 
Alternatively it could read 2*(.50)*(7.5) if you include long tooth shifting

Critical
(2)*(0.05)*(10) - This term seems correct.  
Alternatively it could read 2*(.05)*12 if you include longtooth shifting

Normal Hunters Quarry
I believe this term is accounting for the hunters quarry and that the last part of it implies that hunter's quarry is maxed when you roll a critical (something I didn't know).  Normally, I would guess, that you would take your hunters quarry the first chance you were able, but since most people roll both twin strikes at once, it is fair to apply a maximized hunter's quarry on either dice.  That being said, I believe there are some errors in the term.
 ([0.55]2 + 2*[0.40]*[0.55])*(3.5)  + (1-(1-0.05)2)*(6) 
I am reading it like this:   ([0.55]^2 + 2*[0.40]*[0.55])*(3.5)  + (1-(1-0.05)^2)*(6) 
In English, this would mean
(chance of hitting with two normal attacks + chance of hitting with one normal attack) * 3.5 damage + (chance of critting at least once) * 6 damage 
 This term also seems to be using an inflated to-hit ratio.  I believe it should read: 
 ([0.50]^2 + 2*[0.45]*[0.50])*(3.5)  + (1-(1-0.05)^2)*(6)
It is then corrected.

So the total calculations for level 1 would read this: - 9.5 dps
(2)*(0.50)*(5.5)  + (2)*(0.05)*(10) +  ([0.50]^2 + 2*[0.45]*[0.50])*(3.5)  + (1-(1-0.05)^2)*(6) 

If you add in the Longtooth shifting bonus you get 11.7 dps

Am I making a mistake in how I am looking at this?

Thanks,
Jerich 
9-19 is 11 events.

9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 = 11 events, so 55% hit chance.

And 20 = critical, as you said.

You are reading the Hunter's Quarry correctly. I've been too lazy to re-add the superscript. I should do that...
Great looking build LDB, you always impress me.  You're the king of optimization.  I don't even see any cheese in this build, very sick.  I'm gonna play this for the new campaign I'm gonna be in Sunday, we start at level 11.  Congrats, keep up the good work.

No offense intended, LDB (I love your ideas), but your level 12 nova is a bit disengenuous: you are sitting still for the first round and not moving until the last action of your second round, spending all of your moves for minor action to self-buff and (2nd round) attack -- yet you are counting all of your prime shot damage bonuses, assuming that you somehow magically have setup prime shot conditions on your target w/o you actually moving to your quarry.  That maybe a lot of theoretical damage, but its not very functional.

n/m -- saw your responswe to a similar question.  The 2-round nova could still be viable, its just not practical as an opening move (or set of moves).

No offense intended, LDB (I love your ideas), but your level 12 nova is a bit disengenuous: you are sitting still for the first round and not moving until the last action of your second round, spending all of your moves for minor action to self-buff and (2nd round) attack -- yet you are counting all of your prime shot damage bonuses, assuming that you somehow magically have setup prime shot conditions on your target w/o you actually moving to your quarry.  That maybe a lot of theoretical damage, but its not very functional.

No more disingenuous than assuming the ranger has to spent his own move actions to move around the battlefield.  It's an LDB character, which means there's probably a warlord in the party "off-screen."  Wailing on animate-but-immobile CharOp Tofu is the norm for this kind of analysis anyway.

edit: "ranger" used to say "warlord" due to classlexia 
Aye. Knight's Move is this build's best friend. Alternatively, you can axe one setup buff for a move action and risk reprisal instead.
I find Immediate actions to be very useful to pump damage in real game scenarios: you get the same damage output by subbing Distruptive Strike for your 3rd level minor action attack power, but save yourself an action (and frequently some damage).  Ditto for Battle Awareness when the back-line target that you've picked to solo tries to shift away: extra damage w/o spending one of your valuable actions on your turn.
Ahh... silly mistake on my part.  Thanks for clarifying.

- Jerich 
I find Immediate actions to be very useful to pump damage in real game scenarios: you get the same damage output by subbing Distruptive Strike for your 3rd level minor action attack power, but save yourself an action (and frequently some damage).  Ditto for Battle Awareness when the back-line target that you've picked to solo tries to shift away: extra damage w/o spending one of your valuable actions on your turn.

I agree for the most part, but Ruffling Sting does have an advantage in that it's "safe" damage. Say for instance you're tangling with Ashardlon and you took Disruptive Strike. You can't drop him for sure unless you hit him with the whole thing AND with Disruptive Strike, so you open yourself up to the possibility that he decides to fly/teleport away and then take potshots at the party from a distance. Sometimes, giving up that extra action for the guarantee that the Solo doesn't live past the turn you wail on him is worth it.
Not only the above, but a minor action attacks let you choose when in the encounter to use them, rather than simply "getting it eventually" as is the case for most immediate action attacks, especially for a melee build, and double especially for a melee build that cares more about burst damage than round-to-round DPR.  Usually, this means using your minor action powers as soon as possible, against the same target, which is not always gonna work with disrupting strike.
That too. Disruptive Strike has one of the more forgiving triggers in 4E, but you can't control what happens outside your turn, especially when you're a non-Defender and you want to land an interrupt within your Melee Reach. Ruffling Sting is pretty simple in its application: pay cost, deal damage, move on.
I guess I would still go with the versatility of having one minor action attack and one immediate action power, so that you can be more flexible wtih your movement options and still (at least very likely) get all of your damage in one round -- but I can see your point.