Random Funny City Goings on

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just looking for flavor text to feed to my PCs.  Just looking for random funny things going on in the city.  They can be juvenile.

Example:

Chuck a gambler was seen walking naked down the street having lost his shirt at dicing.
I did once describe an old couple walking down the street. Their gloved hands were clasped and she was prattling off a mile a minute about pretty much everything he had done wrong that morning. The party observed the old man deftly slip his hand out of his glove and disappear into a tavern, leaving his wife walking on, holding an empty glove and talking to herself. (I think I saw this on "Benny Hill" once.)

Another involved two stuffy lords staring at each other face to face, each too proud to yield his right-of-way on the sidewalk.

And, borrowed directly from "Burns & Allen", a fellow bumps into a female acquaintance. As the party passes by on their way into a shop, the man asks the woman "So, how's your brother been?" Over 20 minutes later they leave the shop and the she is still talking about her brother, and his family, and their friends, and their families, and their pets, and their businesses, and their clothes, etc.
Yeah things like that Shiftkitty.  Good idea's I might steal    Anyone else have any thing similar?

I'm going to guess you haven't read any Terry Pratchett yet.  Did I guess right?

"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
I always liked the idea of sombody robbing/pickpocketing someone, walking a little away and looking in the bag, then quickly returning the bag to the owner with a disgusted look or comment like "Even a desperate thief wouldn't steal THAT!"  then storming off.

I'm going to guess you haven't read any Terry Pratchett yet.  Did I guess right?

Correct, I had to google the name.. Not read anything of his.  I will add it to my reading list. Thanks!

I could see some flashmobs happening.
Or a group of various races stealing the hats off people's heads, turning the hats inside out and parading them around town for a short time before returning the hats to their owners.

Just for fun, if you happen to have a PC who acts rather pompous or imperious, have some street urchin begin walking behind him, aping his every move as other people chuckle. If the PC turns around, the kid quickly assumes a pose as though he's looking at somethign else (make a hard Perception check to catch the kid in the act). The kid is harmless and not trying to steal anything. He's just mocking the PC. If anyone tries to do anything against the kid, the townspeople might gather in his defense. ("Leave him alone. He's just a kid!" "Pick on somebody your own size!" etc.)

Correct, I had to google the name.. Not read anything of his.  I will add it to my reading list. Thanks!

Since you're specifically trying to flesh out a city with funny details, start with the stuff about the Ankh-Morpork City Watch.  The first one is Guards! Guards!, but the order you read 'em in isn't all that important. 
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
Maybe this isn't quite what you're looking for, but something I've always wanted to try is using the Immovable Shaft to gamble.  What I mean is the shaft once placed by you can't be moved except by a Str check of 25 or higher.  Which yes isn't too impossible for PCs and all, but the idea is to bet people money on moving the shaft.

It works especially well if your PCs are either lower level or don't know what the Shaft really is but leaves a fun way to play with your characters.
Well, that would make some good set dressing. The PCs might be tempted to try their hands at it, but it's not required. Just the sort of thing that creates immersion into the story.

A few years back something happened that might make a good, thought-provoking scene. This exchange happened between my brother and I, but any pair of people on the street might be overheard thusly:

Two people are observing a pair of squirrels. The squirrels are challenging each other over territory, and each has its back arched and its teeth bared, leaping furiously and chittering away. One of the two observers chuckles at the scene.

"Look at these two squirrels. Each one is trying to convince the other that he's the biggest, most fierce creature in the world! Ha-hah! They don't realize that we could just squoosh them dead." He makes a smashing motion with his hand. The other observer is also amused at the scene.

"Did you ever think, though," the second person says, motioning skyward, "that somewhere out there, something might be watchin' us and thinkin' the same thing?"