Player's Handbook 3 - Excerpts: Monk

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Excerpts
Player's Handbook 3
The Monk

In today's Player's Handbook 3 preview, we look at the monk, including a new epic destiny offering monastic perfection, moving perfection -- and finally, diamond perfection.

Diamond Soul

The psionic energy that flows through you is more than a weapon. It is the essence of your soul.

Prerequisite: 21st level, monk

Talk about this PH3 preview here.

excerpts_20100301.jpg

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

I really appreciate the relative simplicity. Other than the first 11th level feature, of course, but the rest of it looks pretty good, awesome even. I've never played an epic level character, though, so I'm not the best judge of balance when it comes to Epic Destinies.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Very respectable. Monastic Perfection seems very meh, but you still get a Dex bonus at 21st. The bonus to speed and shiftiness is quite decent, and on par with a "once per day, when you die" power. The encounter power is downright sick, essentially giving you a guaranteed hit once per encounter -- if the attack would normally hit on a 11, with that power it's an auto-hit, even if you roll a 1. And the 30th feature is a fittingly broken capstone.

Definitely competitive with Demigod, I'd say. Probably a little weaker, but quite up there. 
"One skilled at battle takes a stand in the ground of no defeat And so does not lose the enemy's defeat. Therefore, the victorious military is first victorious and after that does battle. The defeated military first does battle and after that seeks victory." -- the Art of War
I found it funny that it mentions you don't age, when its pretty much assumed by most Epic Destinies that you don't.
I found it funny that it mentions you don't age, when its pretty much assumed by most Epic Destinies that you don't.

Eh, not all of 'em. Legendary Sovereign definitely assumes that you still age. I would say that immortality, while a common aspect of epic destinies, is not a universal aspect, so it's still worth mentioning when a ED grants it.
"One skilled at battle takes a stand in the ground of no defeat And so does not lose the enemy's defeat. Therefore, the victorious military is first victorious and after that does battle. The defeated military first does battle and after that seeks victory." -- the Art of War
Demigod, Chosen, Archlich, Archmage (seems to assume you live for a veeeeeery long time), Eternal Defender, Perfect Slayer..... Thats just a few off of the top of my head.

Their fluff suggests imortality, but mechanics grant nothing. While you could argue you gain them after the campaign is over.
Well yes, like I said, it's a pretty common feature. But just looking at recent books, Dragonheart, Invincible Vanguard, Legendary Sovereign, Star-Favored Champion, Fang of the World Serpent, Fury of the Wild, Honored Ancestor, Mythic Spirit,  and Reincarnate Champion all do not grant immortality. And that's just looking at two books. I'm sure there are dozens more. 
The abilities just don't quite fit the theme for me.  When I think of "diamond", somehow speed, agility, and accuracy are not what spring to mind; perfect or otherwise.  Rather brilliance, hardness, and sharp cutting shards do.

Eh, not all of 'em. Legendary Sovereign definitely assumes that you still age. I would say that immortality, while a common aspect of epic destinies, is not a universal aspect, so it's still worth mentioning when a ED grants it.

Yes.  "Immortality" means "enduring legacy" almost as often as actual transcendance.

PS: Notice that Diamond Soul achieves agelessness by 21st level.  That's pretty rare for an Epic Destiny.
I'd just like to point out that agelessness =/= immortality. Nothing suggests a diamond soul monk actually lives any longer than he would have done naturally, just that he stops aging. I suspect it's an attempt to emulate the 3rd edition 'timeless body' feature all monks got at 17th level (you no longer aged and couldn't be magically aged, but you still died "of old age" at the age you would have died naturally).

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Technically speaking, it's just the same sort of immortality that races with the Immortal origin (Deva, Shardmind) or similar origins (Warforged, Revenant) have.

And I think there are actually more EDs that don't grant immortality than do.  Though it may be close to half and half.
Interesting to me is the mention that you don't have to take an EDest at 21st level, and can stall until a later time if you wish, gaining all of the benefits of the EDest up to that point then.

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

Interesting to me is the mention that you don't have to take an EDest at 21st level, and can stall until a later time if you wish, gaining all of the benefits of the EDest up to that point then.

O_o Why is that interesting? It has been that way since PHB1(page 172).

Guess I never noticed it before.

I am not totally certain, but Paragon Paths are the same way, aren't they?

As far as I can tell no as the language in PHB1(page 53) simply states you select a PP at 11th level with no qualifiers on additional times to select it.

As far as I can tell no as the language in PHB1(page 53) simply states you select a PP at 11th level with no qualifiers on additional times to select it.

Ah, that makes sense.  I guess I was looking at how they are selected in the Character Builder (they are listed as optional).

Ah, that makes sense.  I guess I was looking at how they are selected in the Character Builder (they are listed as optional).

Probably because you can Paragon MC instead.

Probably because you can Paragon MC instead.

I guess I never made the connection between Paragon MC and the optional part.  Thanks for the info!
The abilities just don't quite fit the theme for me.  When I think of "diamond", somehow speed, agility, and accuracy are not what spring to mind; perfect or otherwise.  Rather brilliance, hardness, and sharp cutting shards do.

I always thought that the use of diamond in this context (both in 3e and 4e) was a connotation of flawlessness.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
Sign In to post comments