Arcane Slasher (410 DPR)

171 posts / 0 new
Last post
I personally prefer the auto-damage options because when you're playing an optimized build the DM typically throws harder to hit stuff at you.  Auto-damage is prefered.  I took out a suicide encounter with 80% of the damage comming from my wizard and his ice wall and flaming sphere.  Knowing that we had to roll a 19 to hit the BBEG attacking him was not a priority, simply waiting him out with my sphere on his tail.  I'm just hoping my DM doesn't think to attack the sphere.

So I did the calculations for post-milestone rounds, and I came to:
Martial Supremacy gain: 25.7273

Martial Supremacy DPR

Gain over vulnerable rounds

Charge after:  .052*146.5+.908*83=82.982

MBA after:  .0531*128.5+.8844*72.5=70.9424

Dancing weapon after:  .0561*120.5+.8214*64.5=59.7404

Charge before:  .05*151.5+.75*88=73.575

MBA before:  .05*133.5+.7*77.5=60.925

Dancing weapon before:  .05*125.5+.6*69.5=47.975

82.982+70.9424+59.7404-73.575-60.925-47.975=31.1898

Gain 31.1898 dpr

Gain over non-vulnerable rounds 

Charge after:  .052*127.5+.908*64=64.742

.0531*109.5+.8844*53.5=53.1299

.0561*101.5+.8214*45.5=43.0679

.05*132.5+.75*69=58.375

.05*114.5+.7*58.5=46.675

.05*106.5+.6*50.5=35.625

64.742+53.1299+43.0679-58.375-46.675-35.625=20.2648

Gain 20.2648 dpr

Gain over 4 rounds

31.1898+31.1898+20.2648+20.2648=102.9092

102.9092/4=25.7273

Gain of 25.7273 dpr

Symbol of Divine Light auto-dpr loss: 10

Symbol of Divine Light auto-dpr loss:

5*(3 slashes + 1 riposte/assault) = 20
Loss of 20 dpr over vulnerable rounds

40/4=10
Loss of 10 auto-dpr over 4 rounds

Over 4 rounds (2 vulnerable and 2 non-vulnerable), 
Martial Supremacy gains 25.7373 dpr, while
Losing the symbol loses 10 auto-dpr.
This disparity will swing further in favor of martial supremacy the longer a single target survives.

During the Vulnerable rounds, this is an explicit 31.1898 dpr versus 20 auto-dpr.

***Is 10 auto-dpr worth 25.7 dpr?***

Edit: taking the Tarmalune background and the corresponding Darren Gambler feat raises the dpr gained from Martial Supremacy to 30.4714 over 4 rounds and 36.6939 on vulnerable rounds

Nonono, lasting frost gives the target cold vuln for the duration, and your wintertouched gives you CA.

So as long as an ally hits with an attack, then it has cold vuln. And as long as it has cold vuln, you get CA.

Mmm, I see your point, but that still relies on having an ally with frost attacks+lasting frost, which would make this a non-self-sustaining dpr build.  This build is based on the guidelines for the DPR Kings, which means it should be able to build up all but the most trivial conditions necessary for its dpr alone.
*by trivial I mean things we can expect our party to have with 99.9% confidence.  Like, if the build requires you to actually HAVE party members, that should be easy enough.

If you want to put together a version that plugs into an accommodating party, it shouldn't be too hard, and you would indeed see your numbers go up.  In fact, when I put together my 2-person build, I'll probably be using a Paladin/Morninglord to apply a longer-lasting vulnerability.

*On an entirely different point, the Slasher as constituted ends up with a lot of Misty Step damage potential, which leads to 2 questions:
1.  In the CB, Misty Step(fey pact boon) has a power card.  Does this mean Misty Step now counts as a power for the purposes of the Planestrider Boots, or is that just for convenience of reading?
2.  How would I represent the damage potential of Misty Step in the dpr numbers?  Is it just too situational?

edit: note that the planestrider boots simply require that you use a power to teleport, not specifically a teleport power, so the fact that Misty Step doesn't have the  doesn't have that keyword wouldn't matter.
FINISHED!

I went with the Fighter MC for Martial Supremacy, and added the Tarmalune background and the related feat Darren Gambler, which adds +2 to rerolls.

Finished the DPR calculations, and though the damage numbers listed are still off somewhere, the DPR calculations are accurate.

The Final DPR of the basic Arcane Slasher is:   269.8575/297.8575
Whoops:

I forgot to include the White Lotus Riposte/Assault Slash autodamage in my calculations,
the real numbers are:

297.8575/325.8575(after a milestone)

I plugged in numbers for a Windrise variation that adds Cleric MC, Radiant advantage and Symbol of Holy Light.  It doesn't add a whole lot of dpr(6-10), so I figure there's gotta be a better use of the extra MC that gives more dpr but doesn't rely on feycharging.  Any ideas?

Also, while this build goes very light on cheesy rules, we are still using White Lotus Master Riposte, Hybrids and Dragon Material in general (from the DPR King key).  Radiant One is from Dragon, so I think we're stuck with that flag.  We can forgo Master Riposte, though, and it may even be possible to put together a feasible non-hybrid version.  That may be my next goal.

I plugged in numbers for a Windrise variation that adds Cleric MC, Radiant advantage and Symbol of Holy Light.  It doesn't add a whole lot of dpr(6-10), so I figure there's gotta be a better use of the extra MC that gives more dpr but doesn't rely on feycharging.  Any ideas?

good work , don't have much to add. I wonder however why the DPR increase for cleric is so low, the holy symbol alone should increase slash damage by 5 each, and hit damage by (hit rate)*5... ? Anyway, the new MP2 feats like piercing pick, impaling spear and deft blade might be worth a look - +2 to hit might offset the decrease of your damage die & high crit property - without the stance, it certainly would. With the stance, i'm not so sure...

good work , don't have much to add. I wonder however why the DPR increase for cleric is so low, the holy symbol alone should increase slash damage by 5 each, and hit damage by (hit rate)*5... ? Anyway, the new MP2 feats like piercing pick, impaling spear and deft blade might be worth a look - +2 to hit might offset the decrease of your damage die & high crit property - without the stance, it certainly would. With the stance, i'm not so sure...

The DPR increase is low because the Symbol of Divine Light only functions during rounds in which the target is vulnerable to Radiant, and I'm calculating dpr off a 4-round average.  2 rounds on, 2 rounds off... it averages out.  I guess it's more likely to throw up numbers of 15ish in that case, huh...

Yeah, 15 dpr doesn't seem like enough to me.  It just seems like as long as we're adding cheese like Windrise Ports, might as well go Long Night Feycharger, yknow?

As far as swapping out weapons...the stance does weaken the benefit of targeting a NAD...
Regardless, if we assumed the hit bonus was enough to make up for the dice loss, we'd be going for some greater facility out of spears or light blades, right?  What sort of benefits would we get out of it, dpr-wise? 
Why not try a Warlock|Paladin base using Virtuous Strike, similar to a Feycharger, but forgo Aegis? You lose out on access to Roundabout Charge, which hurts, but can pick up Power of Sun to modify Virtuous Strike which you use on a Fey Charge, and then Power of Arcana to modify it once you've applied vulnerability to allow WLMR to be active (unfortunately you don't have the Aegis double-bind).

If you add in Shadowrift weapons as a Revenant and Ankhmon's Bracers, you can get a LOT more teleports into the build (Planestriders and two Shadowrift weapons, one at maximum enhancement, one at minimum just for the power) and not worry about dying.

For ability scores, focus on Intelligence and Constitution, picking Constitution-based Warlock powers, screwing your Paladin powers, and taking Melee Training (Constitution) to modify Virtuous Strike. It can be used "as a melee basic attack," so you should be able to use Constitution as the ability score for attacking with it.

Misty Step and Bloodied Boon add a lot, and Twofold Curse and a Rod of Reaving can do a lot to get the chain of teleports started at the beginning of a teleport to set you in position so you waste no damage. After that, just drop the Rod or stow it.

Done so that you have 24 Intelligence, 26 Constitution, your teleports will deal 40 damage each.

I could go on, but I like playing with the concepts and then throwing it all out once I see how obscenely powerful something can get. So have at it, maybe it will pan out to be the next big step, maybe not. In any event, I hope they neuter something in this whole mess of tools.
Long Post Alert!

Why not try a Warlock|Paladin base using Virtuous Strike, similar to a Feycharger, but forgo Aegis? You lose out on access to Roundabout Charge, which hurts, but can pick up Power of Sun to modify Virtuous Strike which you use on a Fey Charge, and then Power of Arcana to modify it once you've applied vulnerability to allow WLMR to be active (unfortunately you don't have the Aegis double-bind).

I have been considering a variation that uses Paladin for stronger radiant vulnerability, though losing the full catch-22 concerns me (it's not a total loss, Divine Challenge still rolls out some fair damage).  It would require taking Arcane Implement Proficiency to avoid having to keep up on both an implement and a weapon...I am concerned that we'd end up starving for feats.  I do intend to look at it later, though.  I'm going to avoid Fey Charge, however, as the Long Night Scion SongNSilence posted covers most of our bases in that regard.
The biggest advantage of a paladin version would probably be that it could allow us to remove White Lotus Master Riposte without much overall loss of dpr(without Divine Challenge would function as a Catch-22 with White Lotus Riposte, but it doesn't offer an equivalent to Master Riposte's melee basic attack).  That lets us cut out 1/3 of the remaining cheese flags from the DPR Kings.  The last two may not be feasible anyway, as the build relies heavily on Dragon material (Radiant One in particular) and being a hybrid.

If you add in Shadowrift weapons as a Revenant and Ankhmon's Bracers, you can get a LOT more teleports into the build (Planestriders and two Shadowrift weapons, one at maximum enhancement, one at minimum just for the power) and not worry about dying.

I've avoided Shadowrift weapons for a couple reasons so far:
1. Taking damage has always worried me in terms of dpr.  I had the same concerns about Bloodclaw, enough that I refused to use them.  Looking back over the Shadowrift wording, however, I just realized that the Ring of Free Time's resist applies to the blade's damage, making the bottom-enhancement blade risk-free.  For the max blade, though, even Ankhmon's Bracers don't quite do it for me, as that's only an expected 5.5 damage, and often will be lower.  Without a completely consistent source of temp hp, and given that Martial Supremacy only applies until I spend a healing surge, I don't think using a mainhand Shadowrift Blade would be worthwhile.  I realize you are thinking more of the paladin build, though, and I don't have much experience with paladins.
2.  Shadowrift weapons strike me as in the same boat as pre-errata bloodclaw.  It is an at-will item power that does not specify it must be the main weapon to function, and has the potential to unleash terrific levels of damage(albeit in a far more corner case than bloodclaw).  One of the selling points of the Arcane Slasher is how little there is in the build that is likely to get nerfed, but Shadowrift Blades strike me as the sort of thing that is destined for the chopping block of errata.  Maybe only after I add one to the Slasher, though and prove how broken it can be, eh?

Lastly, if I DID use two Shadowrift Blades in concert, are we certain I would be able to activate both off one trigger?  I know it seems like the RAW is supporting that, but is there any reasonable interpretation that would disagree?  I don't mind at all being overpowered, but if we have to step into some ambiguous rules interpretation I'd rather just not go there.

For ability scores, focus on Intelligence and Constitution, picking Constitution-based Warlock powers, screwing your Paladin powers, and taking Melee Training (Constitution) to modify Virtuous Strike. It can be used "as a melee basic attack," so you should be able to use Constitution as the ability score for attacking with it.

I am not at all convinced that it would work like that.  I'm not saying that it wouldn't, but it seems there's a case to be made that it doesn't.  I would like to know if it is a solid rules application, though, because even in the current Slasher it would be nice to use Int instead of Con for Eldritch Strike(currently Radiant One's Int bonus washes with the Con from Eldritch Strike.  If Eldritch Strike keyed off Int, we could swing back go Int as our primary stat instead of Con, which would net us +1 damage on our attacks, and let us benefit from an Opal Ring of Remembrance).

Misty Step and Bloodied Boon add a lot, and Twofold Curse and a Rod of Reaving can do a lot to get the chain of teleports started at the beginning of a teleport to set you in position so you waste no damage. After that, just drop the Rod or stow it.

Rod of Reaving was errataed so that it can only affects nonminions.  A smart update, but unfortunate for those wishing to exploit Misty Step.
I just looked at the Warlock Basics article in searching for Bloodied Boon, and I can't believe I hadn't looked at it before!  Bloodied Boon, to my knowledge, is the only means to remove your warlock's curse, which means that we can actually get 4 rounds on target with radiant vulnerability instead of 2!  This is contingent upon bloodying the enemy, so I'm not sure how to best incorporate that into my dpr calculations.  Maybe 3/4 rounds with vulnerability out of a 4 round average?
Also from the same article:  Exultant Shadow Step adds a full slash to the critical damage of each of our attacks, and Cursed Spells is a straight up +intmod to our dpr.  Pretty good for a single feat.  I think I will try to incorporate both into the build.
I wish I had some way to incorporate the potential damage from Misty Step into the dpr calculations.  Also, I would still like to know if Misty Step can be split by the Planestrider Boots
Also, I just realized I didn't include our curse damage into the Arcane Slasher's dpr.  How embarrassing.

I could go on, but I like playing with the concepts and then throwing it all out once I see how obscenely powerful something can get. So have at it, maybe it will pan out to be the next big step, maybe not. In any event, I hope they neuter something in this whole mess of tools.

Keep it coming!  You've given me some things to think about, and reminded me of options I had forgotten/dismissed perhaps unjustly.

As far as things that get neutered, it's really difficult to come up with an appropriate means to do so.  The Arcane Slasher is a product of the interaction of several powerful but utterly reasonable character options.
If I expect anything to be nerfed, however, it would be:
-White Lotus Master Riposte
-Shadowrift Blades
-Radiant One
-Planestrider Boots
-Dancing Weapons
Master Riposte is a well-known issue to CO, enough that it is considered fairly cheesy.
Shadowrift Blades, as I have said, are too much like Bloodclaw, and are going to enable Slashers to do more damage than they should.
Radiant One's extra damage applies ANY time you deal damage.  It's true that this is the primary selling point of the Epic Destiny, but it's that feature that makes the Slasher really feasible. Without it, our slashes would be doing 14 damage, tops.
The Planestrider Boots cause trouble in both Slashers and Feychargers.  If feycharging is fixed and Radiant One is nerfed, then maybe the boots won't be such a big deal, but as it is they are a source of a good deal of damage.
Dancing Weapons are a classic case of abusing multiple copies of an item for its daily power.  It's perfectly legal, and they are hardly Salves of Power, but again, a minor action mba can be problematic.

Of those, only nerfing Radiant One would totally cut down the Arcane Slasher.  Removing the others would put a significant dent in its dpr, though.
I would like to see Shadowrift Blades limited to hits made with the weapon rather than any hit (which currently allows 2 to operate); I'm fine in terms of game balance with one triggering per hit.

I would also not mind Radiant One only adding to damage rolls, but it is interesting in its current form, and it's hardly the most deadly piece here.

Dancing Weapons are just plain stupid and need to be nerfed.

I think Master Riposte is actually okay as-is. It's very powerful, but it is only insane with Aegis of Assault or similar. I also don't see how they could errata it without removing it completely, which I would oppose as it is exciting: it lets characters do things they can't normally rather than just add on some damage (one reason why I like Shadowrift Blades compared to Bloodclaw).

Planestrider Boots are a weird case. Their intended function has been totally disregarded, but the real culprit is Eladrin Swordmage Advance. It needs either a once per turn/round/encounter clause or some other major overhaul. Perhaps it could allow you to make an MBA as a minor action to make an attack against the creature you end adjacent to on that turn.

I forgot about the Reaving bit; I got mixed up and thought that Rod of Corruption was the one changed.

Anyway, Cursed Spells is alright; it's once/turn damage, so it's pretty minor compared to what else is moving around. And Exultant Shadow Step is nice. I had noted that as well. I'm just not sure how it fits in without an 18-20 critical range. 19-20 just isn't the same.

Adding to the bit on Shadowrift Blades, the whole point is to be a Revenant (Eladrin) so you can survive beneath 0 hit points, land a hit with Ankhmon's Bracers, and bounce back into the positive.

Shadowrift Blades, as worded, do function even if in the off-hand. It is exactly the same problem as Reckless/Bloodclaw used to be, except for teleporting, which is much more indirect a problem. But even as teleporting, with distance boosters, you could do some serious hit-and-run. Or you could have a hand crossbow and hold one in the off-hand (as long as you have CA) and teleport back, keeping yourself safe, etc. But I think the damage application is the only real problem here.

I could add on about Melee Training, but I'll save it for another time. I have work that needs doing.
Just did some calculations, with the Arcane Slasher as it stands, downgrading our fullblade to a bastard sword and picking up an offhand Shadowrift Blade +3 nets us 160 dpr.  If I adjust the calculations to 3 rounds vulnerable, 1 round not in order to account for Bloodied Boon, that goes up to 174 dpr.

If we get our damage high enough, I'm just going to go with SongNSilence's assumption on the Long Night Feycharger that we do enough DPR to kill anything within the 4 rounds of full vulnerability we have on-target.  Indeed, it's looking like we'll be getting over 500 dpr, which is enough to deplete the hp of any known monster in 4 rounds.  Good enough for me.  I'll work on the changes tomorrow.

That means this build will end up topping any build for dpr outside the Long Night Feycharger (we'll beat it for dpr as it stands, but anything we can do it can do better...), without adding any more of the flags on the DPR Kings list than we already have.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts about melee training.  I've been on the fence enough to avoid it, but I will be very happy if it does work as you say. 
Okay, this is getting ridiculous.
I downgraded our weapons to Bastard Swords and picked up a Shadowrift Dagger +3 for our offhand.
I also added Bloodied Boon and Exultant Shadow Step.

In the end, our dpr shoots up to

549.072/584.072(after a milestone)
That's the highest of any build currently constituted, with the Long Night Feycharger beating us out for 2/5 encounters.

All of this without feycharging, windrise ports, etc. etc.

Adding in windrise ports or feycharging would shoot us up even more... 

I wonder what would happen if the slasher and the feycharger had a kid.
DPR King Candidates 3.0
How much damage should I shoot for?
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR? KPR? KP4R? Bless you
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
It would be the build I proposed, using Long Night Scion and a Feycharging Revenant. Its DPR would be sickening.

Now, as far as Melee Training, a close inspection of the wording actually suggests it will not work, so I guess that's one bullet dodged in terms of the system exploding - though it should still work on any At-Will that can be used as a melee basic attack that uses Strength. The problem here is just that Virtuous Strike uses Charisma, which Melee Training cannot change. It doesn't work here but I think some other builds may find something for it.
It would be the build I proposed, using Long Night Scion and a Feycharging Revenant. Its DPR would be sickening.

Now, as far as Melee Training, a close inspection of the wording actually suggests it will not work, so I guess that's one bullet dodged in terms of the system exploding - though it should still work on any At-Will that can be used as a melee basic attack that uses Strength. The problem here is just that Virtuous Strike uses Charisma, which Melee Training cannot change. It doesn't work here but I think some other builds may find something for it.

Why would a charisma warlock by so sub-optimal as to not be a great candidates for a paladin|warlock version?
DPR King Candidates 3.0
You're fired : 1 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .2 KPR Fair Striker : 2 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .4 KPR Highly Optimized : 3 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .6 KPR Nerfbat please : 4 Kills Per 5 Rounds = .8 KPR It's OVER 9000!!!!!: 5 Kills Per 5 Rounds = 1+ KPR
DPR = Damage Per round ~= Chance to hit * damage on a hit KPR = Kills Per Round. 1 Kill = 8*Level+24 damage = DPR/(8*level+24) KPNR = Kills Per N Rounds. How many standards can you kill in N rounds?
You have to forgo Intelligence if you build yourself Cha/Con, and you have to forgo Constitution if you build Cha/Int. Either way you're losing out on damage per teleport (either Radiant One and Long Night Scion for Int or Pelor's Sun Blessing for Constitution).
It's do-able, but you do lose per-teleport damage.
You have to forgo Intelligence if you build yourself Cha/Con, and you have to forgo Constitution if you build Cha/Int. Either way you're losing out on damage per teleport (either Radiant One and Long Night Scion for Int or Pelor's Sun Blessing for Constitution).
It's do-able, but you do lose per-teleport damage.

I sub-consciously disregard Pelor's Sun Blessing due to Boons, in my mind, being at the discretion of the DM.  Cha/Int would by my way of doing it.  
DPR King Candidates 3.0
I see the price tag on Blessing and see it as a player option. I agree they are in practicality up to DM (whether or not boons are allowed at all, how they are handled) and think it's actually a dumb move on the part of WotC (they never say anything about boons based off of same-slot items, like two "Arm"-based boons, since boons have no real slot).
So, yes, if you are not planning to use Blessing anyway, Cha/Int is the smart choice.
Since the boon bonus is untyped, why not use 1000 of them?
Okay, this is getting ridiculous.
I downgraded our weapons to Bastard Swords and picked up a Shadowrift Dagger +3 for our offhand.
I also added Bloodied Boon and Exultant Shadow Step.

In the end, our dpr shoots up to

549.072/584.072(after a milestone)
That's the highest of any build currently constituted, with the Long Night Feycharger beating us out for 2/5 encounters.

All of this without feycharging, windrise ports, etc. etc.

Adding in windrise ports or feycharging would shoot us up even more... 

Wow, amazing find ! Some minor damage is lost from the fullblade->bastard sword downgrade, but it shouldn't be more than 10 DPR. So, with a feychargers 5 attacks per round, it would add 5(#attacks)*2(split)*30(damage), minus 10 = 290 DPR to the feycharger ^^.

I kinda wonder whether two blades would trigger twice for each attack...

Since the boon bonus is untyped, why not use 1000 of them?

I know you think you're being rhetorical, but I hardly think my proposition is absurd. The difference between 1 and 1000 is that Pelor may bless you, but he isn't going to give you the exact same blessing 1000 times over and somehow have it all stack/enhance. It isn't formally forbidden by the rules, but it's a matter of common sense.
The issue with boons being untyped is duplicating, say, Planestrider Boots as a divine boon as well as some feet-slot item that increases teleport distance. You aren't supposed to be able to have both those effect without expending another slot (such as weapon, armor, or ring) but Divine Boons fail to address that.

Wow, amazing find ! Some minor damage is lost from the fullblade->bastard sword downgrade, but it shouldn't be more than 10 DPR. So, with a feychargers 5 attacks per round, it would add 5(#attacks)*2(split)*30(damage), minus 10 = 290 DPR to the feycharger ^^.

They do... That was the whole point of me mentioning it in the first place: a Revenant (Eladrin) Feycharger Long Night Scion/Radiant One using Ankhmon's Bracers and 2 Shadowrift Blades. Try it out. But do it quick, we're getting a massive errata tonight/tomorrow, and I expect something in this combination to go down hard.

They do... That was the whole point of me mentioning it in the first place: a Revenant (Eladrin) Feycharger Long Night Scion/Radiant One using Ankhmon's Bracers and 2 Shadowrift Blades. Try it out. But do it quick, we're getting a massive errata tonight/tomorrow, and I expect something in this combination to go down hard.

Well, i would need another source of healing, anhkmon's bracers can only support an average of 5 damage, so without further healing the feycharger would take 22.5 damage per round. I could add a fleece of renewal for 8 temp hps, but that would still leave 14.5 unhealed damage per round. But I'll calculate it just for kickers, anyway, just to send the feychargers into retirement with a bang...
No, that's why you're a Revenant. You stay conscious below 0 hit points. When you hit, Ankhmon's restores you to positive again. You never dip far below.
Also you only take 14.5 per round with 2 Shadowrift Blades. One is +3 (5 hit points to activate) and one is +6 (15 hit points to activate). I haven't checked the Fleece, but that may help further to slow the descent into negatives (where you stabilize anyway because you're a Revenant).
No, that's why you're a Revenant. You stay conscious below 0 hit points. When you hit, Ankhmon's restores you to positive again. You never dip far below.
Also you only take 14.5 per round with 2 Shadowrift Blades. One is +3 (5 hit points to activate) and one is +6 (15 hit points to activate). I haven't checked the Fleece, but that may help further to slow the descent into negatives (where you stabilize anyway because you're a Revenant).

Ah ok, didn't think to combine it with that. I'll have to make some room for a fierce vitality and ghostly vitality (and a life charm). But i think it'll work. Thanks !

Edit: Had to drop the thunder mechanic, but its ready now: Long Night Feycharger, 934 DPR.

Ah ok, didn't think to combine it with that. I'll have to make some room for a fierce vitality and ghostly vitality (and a life charm). But i think it'll work. Thanks !

You're welcome. This is what I do in the world of 4e. I find pieces and put them together. My project yesterday was this feycharge variant. Today it's shifting. I did one on a Bardarian before Storm of Blades errata that had a max damage of ~70k. The most critical component, the Strong-Arm Enforcer, is still at large (stacking Charisma to damage).
I've done a lot of work with teleporting/feycharging though. It always draws me back because they keep dropping in new toys. The Shadowrift Blades caught my eye when AV2 first came out. I admittedly didn't catch the Revenant combination until more recently.
I did one build on a Warforged Magic Missile wizard before they changed how components work in EPG (he was able to do something like push 16 - 4 push 4s - on his Magic Missile).
I've also done some research with Revenant Bards, Warlocks, and Fighters that has devastating effects in mass battles.
I dabble, move on, come back to things, get sick of some of it. I've placed a lot of rules on myself as to what I will and will not play because of things I find disgustingly overpowered.
I also did some work with rituals, primarily Magic Circle, Share Husk, Duplicate, and I think there was one another I did some work with - back two summers ago.

Anyway, if you need any assistance putting pieces together, I'll be around, tinkering.

You're welcome. This is what I do in the world of 4e. I find pieces and put them together. My project yesterday was this feycharge variant. Today it's shifting. I did one on a Bardarian before Storm of Blades errata that had a max damage of ~70k. The most critical component, the Strong-Arm Enforcer, is still at large (stacking Charisma to damage).

I'll watch out for your posts, seems i completely missed that! (and here i thought 100 attacks are special ^^)

I did one build on a Warforged Magic Missile wizard before they changed how components work in EPG (he was able to do something like push 16 - 4 push 4s - on his Magic Missile).

yes, pushing/sliding is fun ! Recently i had this idea about a str/con half-elf ranger(mc arcane)/lyannar wind rider.
feats: mark of storm, versatile master: eldrich strike, arcane admixture: lightning, hobbling strike
items. staggering weapon, slide/push extenders
powers: eldrich strike
Idea: slide extenders work on both basic slide providers (mark of storm, eldritch), and seperately on on the push from hobbling strike -> 2*slide 8 + 1* push 5 for 21 squares movement at will (without a stance etc).
Didn't really give it much thought after that, but i'm sure one could add some extra squares with another push (form of fearsome ram unfortunately adds only 1 if the attack already pushes, but tyrants rage might be a good option...)

Anyway, if you need any assistance putting pieces together, I'll be around, tinkering.

Thanks again !
First, post-errata notes:
-The removal of Radiant/Frost stacking means we need to either do without Radiant Weapon or do without Lasting Frost.
Fortunately, it turns out that Radiant Weapon is a relic of past versions anyway(we don't need it to gain any of our radiant benefits), so we can replace it with a Subtle Weapon at no cost.
This is fortuitous, as the nerf to Ankhmon's bracers means we need a new arms slot item.  Low and behold, we find that Subtle(unlike Radiant) is an untyped bonus, so we can take Iron Armbands of Power, which will actually increase dpr by a minimal amount(less than 1).

-Beyond the bracers and radiant weapon, none of our mechanics were touched by the errata.  That both goes a way to vindicate my claim that this build is more update-durable, and allows us to continue where we left off without any steps backward.

Next, some interesting options:
-Cursed Spells grants us +intmod to our curse damage, which is a flat out +intmod to dpr.
-Slashing Storm allows us, as long as we hit a creature during our last turn, deal wismod damage to enemies that start adjacent.  That's only 1 damage, but Radiant One then activates, giving us +7 radiant and fire damage, which triggers vulnerability, handing out an extra 9+5 damage.  That's 22 damage to enemies that start adjacent to us.  In Eberron, we can count that as a straight addition to dpr because enemies can't shift away from us(Mark of Finding), and so have to choose between Riposte/MasterRiposte/SlashingStorm and Opportunity Attack/Slashing Wake/Assault.  Riposte and Master Riposte are a wash with Slashing Wake and Assault, which leaves 22 autodamage from Slashing Storm versus 100+ damage from an Opportunity attack.
-Wicked Blade makes up for the loss of the high crit property from downgrading our fullblade to a bastard sword.

And as usual, the paladin change is always a looming prospect.  Virtuous Strike is radiant by default, Power of Arcana+Arcane Admixture lets us take Deva Heritage and Radiant Recovery to gain +9 temp hp every time we hit with Virtuous Strike, which when combined with our Ring of Free Time lets us take a Shadowrift Blade mainhand and another offhand for an extra 2 teleports on every hit while only taking 1 damage for each such hit.  I don't know whether it would be a net gain or loss, as no assault weakens the catch-22...
PH3 has a new staff implement, Staff of the Traveler, with the following property.
Property: Whenever you shift, you can instead teleport the number of squares you would have shifted.
You may want to look at adding some shifting and staff implement use into this build.  The Mobile Warrior feat looks good, but you would need 17 Dex.  White Lotus Master Evasion would also work.
PH3 has a new staff implement, Staff of the Traveler, with the following property.
Property: Whenever you shift, you can instead teleport the number of squares you would have shifted.
You may want to look at adding some shifting and staff implement use into this build.  The Mobile Warrior feat looks good, but you would need 17 Dex.  White Lotus Master Evasion would also work.

Oh wow, that is nice.  I'm not sure how it would compare in dpr to the shadowrift blade, which gives us 2 slashes on a hit.  It all depends on our ability to extend our shift range and how many shifts we can add.  Unfortunately, it could be very problematic to try to wield both.
Here's what strikes me about that: Kobolds love it. With Planestriders, it's a minimum of 6 teleports every turn.
But if you're using a pair of Shadowrift blades (and Planestriders), you want to hit because it gives you 2 more teleports for your action (4 instead of 2).
That doesn't mean you couldn't be a Kobold Long Night Scion, of course... I just don't know that it would be optimal (the ability scores certainly are not).

EDIT 2 (EDIT 1 below): I just saw the current rendition of Three Winds Kick, as updated in DR 381 from DR 375. It fails horribly. Scratch that combination. Ew.

In any case, it's definitely a new toy for teleport builds. We just have to figure out how best to use it (such as by finding powers to shift a lot, like Three Winds Kick). It also lets us throw in Mobile Warrior (MP1) to make a shift any time we attack, hit or miss (Dex prerequisite; Fighter prerequisite is a non-issue if we use Fey Charge). Unfortunately Mobile Warrior doesn't work with Planestrider Boots (though I think Three Winds Kick would; even though the staff property changes the shift to a teleport, since the power grants the shift, the power now instead grants a teleport - I think).

So Three Winds Kick could trigger 6 teleports (Staff of the Traveler + Planestrider Boots) and 3 more from Mobile Warrior; 6 more from Shadowrift Blade + Planestrider Boots (only one Blade because you need the Staff in one hand), for 15 teleports for an encounter power. And if we can get Misty Step to fit in, I can guarantee it will trigger at least once in that madness.

Epic Resurgence and the new Salve of Power only make this even more insane.

I'm delighted my shift optimization is coming into play here! I told you that was my project. I was working on a Kobold Ranger|Rogue (Hybrid Talent: Artful Dodger) mc Monk/???/Diamond Soul.
Anyway, the good bits:
Mark of Passage!: It gives +1 to shifts and +1 to teleports, so that becomes +2 to teleports from powers here!
Swift Footwork: This can be useful. For Three Winds like and the like, it's another Mark of Passage. It won't work with Shifty (Kobold racial) or any direct teleports though.
Agile Stand: I'm not sure how teleporting while prone works. Do you arrive in the destination prone still? If so, this is useful as it gets you a free teleport out of standing up. Otherwise find a better way to teleport to save yourself the action of standing up.
Risky Shift: This is okay if you really want to eke out teleport distance but there are better things to spend feats on and granting CA is not the best thing you can be doing. Really know what you're doing before you choose this.
Mobile Warrior: This is pure gold for melee. Er, pure sky blue. You know what I mean.

Diamond Soul also boosts shifts, but it's not the ED of choice for a teleporter. It was just something I came across in shift optimization.
Having Ranger in there was for Twin Strike. I'm not sure how a Ranger|Warlock would play out but I'm really curious now. It probably wouldn't end well if you wanted Three Winds Kick though because you'd need Strength (melee twin strike), Dexterity, and Intelligence (Winter Winds, Radiant One), and some Wisdom if you plan to use Pelor's Sun Blessing (or Constitution; the tradeoff between a third defense score and your hit points/surges score; Constitution probably wins actually).

But in any case, Ranger would work from an at-will standpoint (2 attacks always; no worry about missing on a Fey Charge, more usable than Three Winds Kick) but it lacks the same oomph of Three Winds Kick (which beats the pants off of Fey Charge here).

I'll do some more research later. I'm interested now.

EDIT: I just saw the comment on White Lotus Master Evasion. It could provide a good, consistent shift/teleport if you can't fit Twin Strike or similar in. You could even use Eldritch Strike and Mobile Warrior with it. If you hit, you get two teleports; if you miss, you get one. Neither benefits from Planestriders unfortunately. It could combine with Aegis/Riposte for more. But if you need Eldritch Strike, you have to go Constitution or Charisma and Intelligence, which cuts out Three Winds Kick. I really think the encounter potential of it is too great to pass up.
mark of passage is no longer a +1 to teleport, but makes our shifts a shift 2 which become teleports and thus can be split into 2 if it's the power that lets you shift. It may take some finagling with your DM.

Nevermind
DPR King Candidates 3.0
EDIT 2 (CLARIFICATION): Virtuous Strike can go in here in place of Eldritch Strike to all the same effects (minus one teleport the first time when it is used with Power of the Sun instead of Power of Arcana, where it will not trigger White Lotus Master Evasion - see bottom of post).
EDIT 3 (REVISION): Eldritch Strike is probably too difficult to obtain anyway. It slipped my mind we need Eyebite to take the Hybrid Talent, so it seems that the simplest build is the Virtuous Strike build. Eladrin does it quite well with 16 Charisma, 18 Intelligence, 15 Dexterity, 11 Constitution (24, 26, 17, 13 in epic, meeting feat requirements and boosting damage across the board; the pitfall is Constitution, making Pelor's Sun Blessing rather worthless actually - +1 damage is NOT worth the cost or the DM fiat); I realize that's probably a bit off since you need to multi-class Fighter and need Strength. So Intelligence to 16 post-racial and use the leftover points to raise Constitution and Strength. Problem solved and Pelor's Sun Blessing may come back into the picture. It's still not amazing though for that Constitution (14ish to 16ish at Epic).
EDIT 4 (REVISION): I REALLY need to remember that this staff is taking up one of the character's hands and it cannot use two Shadowrift blades. I made changes to reflect that. Note that to use Vistani Knife Fighting, you need the Shadowrift blade to be +6 (the staff can be minimal). Forgoing Vistani Knife Fighting, you can use the staff in melee (+6) and the shadowrift blade can be minimal, only costing 5 hit points to teleport. That goes a long way in terms of survivability but loses out on the teleport on a miss. Of course, we want to hit and feat slots are tight, so this is probably the path the build will ultimately take.

Vistani Knife Fighting (380) is easy to access and lets you shift whenever you miss (melee or close) with a Light Blade. Mobile Warrior also works with Light Blades.
So a hit would trigger Mobile Warrior, Shadowrift, Shadowrift (5 teleports) and a miss would trigger Vistani Knife Fighting (1 teleport; a consolation).
If you use it with Eldritch Strike, a hit also triggers another teleport (White Lotus Master Evasion) and lets you use your minor to shift (teleport) that turn.
Of course, we need something to mitigate 20 damage from Shadowrift weapons now that Ankhmon's is nerfed.

EDIT: Cruel Whimsy (381) also lets us shift (teleport) whenever someone fails a save from a warlock power and is "in-pact" for a Feylock.

Secret Recovery (382) provides Drow with an option to shift when they save, but I'm not sure if the Stealth check is limited by needing superior cover or total concealment, or if the shift is too. If the shift needs one of those, this is awful.

Drow also get Shadowslip (367?) to shift (teleport) when they use Cloud of Darkness. Another feat in MP1 lets Drow rogues teleport (not shift) when they use Cloud of Darkness.

Deft Footwork (368) lets you shift (teleport) when anyone provokes an OA from you. Of course, if you use Eldritch Strike, it's better to give that a shot (especially given Mobile Warrior, etc).

Mark of Finding (EPG) gives you more shift triggers instead of more shift and teleport distance (Mark of Passage).

Mark of Sentinel (EPG) also gives you another trigger option; unlike Deft Footwork, this stacks with any Opportunity Attack you might make instead of it replacing the OA.

Martial Alacrity (MP1) can help non-Kobolds get started.

Action Rush (MP2) is an option for Humans; it's similar to the feat that gives Warlocks their pact boon on an AP, except there's no question Planestriders doesn't work here (whereas it is hazy with Misty Step, which has been written in power form but is not a power in the book and receives a separate category in the compendium as a Pact Boon).

I also skipped some options for party optimization but decided I'd throw this one in: Skirmishing Leader (Warlord multi-class; MP2). Allies can shift 1 square when they spend APs. So a party of 4-5 identical teleporters would go wild when they use APs.

Eldritch Strike probably surpasses Twin Strike because of White Lotus feats if used with Aegis. I don't know how Eldritch Strike compares to Virtuous Strike just yet given the loss of the Catch-22 hurting the new application of Mobile Warrior & Master Evasion (potentially 2 more teleports), but see below.
Potentially:
Hit: 1 teleport (mobile warrior), 2 teleports (shadowrift, planestrider), 1 teleport (master evasion).
Hit: 1 teleport (mobile warrior), 2 teleports (shadowrift, planestrider), 1 teleport (master evasion).
So 8 teleports so far.

Fey Charge does it much better, of course (in terms of quantity of teleports):
The addition of two ESAs gives us up to8 more teleports via the same formula. That means we look at having 16 teleports using Constitution, Intelligence, and 17 Dexterity (admittedly hurting our per-teleport damage). The problem is it conflicts with Kobold (I used Kobold below for demonstrations but I do think Eladrin beats it via Fey Charge; Kobold wins without Fey Charge).

As for ability score breakdowns, I really like the Kobold, so here are two options:
Eldritch Strike (Con): this is the easiest to do with the Kobold scores.
Con 16 (18), Int 16, Dex 13 (15); something 11, something 10, something 8
Dexterity will hit 17 by Epic, Con will hit 26, and Intelligence will hit 24. All together, that's pretty solid. Constitution lets you hit with Warlock powers like Eldritch Strike (pick up Twofold Pact to get riders); Intelligence lets you hit with Swordmage powers. You get more hits than the Virtuous Strike build and thus more teleports. You lose damage per teleport though (Pelor's Sun Blessing, Power of the Sun, Symbol of Divine Light)

Virtuous Strike (Cha): this is a little trickier, and requires some sacrifice, but you get radiant rewards, so it probably still pays off in the end (vulnerability outweighing lost Constitution).
Cha 16, Int 16, Dex 13 (15), Con 11 (13), something 10, something 8.
Charisma lets you hit with Virtuous Strike, Paladin powers, Warlock powers. Intelligence powers your teleports. Dexterity reaches 17 in time, and Constitution is still positive, so you can use it for Pelor's Sun Blessing. It's just a lot weaker (+2 in Epic...). So you have one fewer guaranteed attack due to lacking Aegis but you get to do a lot of damage with your teleports.

Kobold is chosen because it shifts as a power, so it teleports as a power. And, as we all know, Planestrider Boots love powers. It gets 4 teleports with its move and minor action as a result. The Kobold gets 4 teleports that way, attacks with Eldritch Strike and gets 1 teleport on a miss or 4 on a hit; if it hits, it also enables its catch-22 for 1 or 4 more teleports (Vistani Knife Fighting vs. everything else).

Shadowrift is the only problem since Ankhmon's died. Once that is replaced, this roars back to life stronger than before now that Master Evasion and Mobile Warrior work. (See EDIT 4)
saw something awesome called Deadly Draw is pretty sweet for monks. Effect: When you pull or slide an enemy to a square adjacent to you, you gain combat advantage against that enemy until the end of your next turn.

DPR King Candidates 3.0
The first Staff of the Traveller variant of the Arcane Slasher is up.
The Incredible Nightcrawler

198/264 autodamage per turn! 
Okay, I have been working on a dual-shadowrift weapon version of the Slasher, and I am coming across a problem:
1. 2 Shadowrift weapons triggers 20 self-damage.  The Ring of Free Time takes care of 10 of that.  So we're looking to deal with 10 damage.
2. My preferred method(and the most elegant, imo) is to take Deva Heritage and Radiant Recovery, to gain conmod temp hp every time we hit with a radiant attack.  This would be 8-9 temp hp per hit, which takes care of all but 1-2 of the self-damage we deal.  3 attacks in a turn puts that at 3-6 self-damage per turn, which isn't a big deal.
3. Wielding 2 shadowrift weapons means we can't use a Radiant Weapon to convert our attack's damage.
4. That leaves an attack that is already radiant.  Which points to Virtuous Strike.  Just one problem: Virtuous Strike keys off Cha, while Radiant Recovery keys off Con and Winter Winds/Radiant One key off Int.  This puts a kibosh on the means we have of taking Virtuous Strike(Paladin hybrid and versatile master).
5. Fleece of Renewal gives us conmod temp hp once per turn, but that's not enough when we are making 3 attacks in a turn.

So the question is:
Are there any other means of
A. Acquiring a significant amount of temp hp per attack we make, esp. that keys off a stat we use with a Chaladinlock?
B. Adding the radiant keyword to our attacks that doesn't require a charisma score?  It would probably even be worth giving up frost to get.

I realize that this may all be made moot by Staff of the Traveller Shift Slashers, but I do want to wrap up the "2 shadowrift blades" variant so we can have a better baseline to compare the Shift Slashers to.

So the question is:
Are there any other means of
A. Acquiring a significant amount of temp hp per attack we make, esp. that keys off a stat we use with a Chaladinlock?
B. Adding the radiant keyword to our attacks that doesn't require a charisma score?  It would probably even be worth giving up frost to get.

If you find a way to use a shifter as your race, there is a new epic feat in phb3 that adds con mod to your regeneration in phb3

I realize that this may all be made moot by Staff of the Traveller Shift Slashers, but I do want to wrap up the "2 shadowrift blades" variant so we can have a better baseline to compare the Shift Slashers to.

I would continue to also pursue the normal slasher, since you cannot split your teleports if you use the staff of the traveller (you don't use teleportation powers -> planestider boot are not usable).

If you find a way to use a shifter as your race, there is a new epic feat in phb3 that adds con mod to your regeneration in phb3

That requires you to be bloodied, right?  We'd have to start optimizing toward that...I'll give it a look.

I would continue to also pursue the normal slasher, since you cannot split your teleports if you use the staff of the traveller (you don't use teleportation powers -> planestider boot are not usable).

Good point.
Though it raises an interesting question of interpretation.  If a power(such as the kobold's Shifty) grants a shift, it seems that combining it with a Staff of the Traveller would allow a split with the Planestrider Boots.  I've been going off that interpretation.  Is there a reason that would be wrong, though? 

That requires you to be bloodied, right?  We'd have to start optimizing toward that...I'll give it a look.

Sure, but the regeneration is only suspended while you are not bloodied, it starts again when you get bloodied again...

Good point.
Though it raises an interesting question of interpretation.  If a power(such as the kobold's Shifty) grants a shift, it seems that combining it with a Staff of the Traveller would allow a split with the Planestrider Boots.  I've been going off that interpretation.  Is there a reason that would be wrong, though? 

Hm, i guess "use a power to teleport" doesn't require the teleportation keyword at all. So i guess it works, as long as its a power grants the shift/teleport. The item set minor teleport certainly wouldn't work, but shifty might fly (or teleport, that it

Sure, but the regeneration is only suspended while you are not bloodied, it starts again when you get bloodied again...

That's good.  So then it becomes a question of weighing it against the stat losses (1 conmod, 1 intmod).

Hm, i guess "use a power to teleport" doesn't require the teleportation keyword at all. So i guess it works, as long as its a power grants the shift/teleport.  

Yeah.
I think one of the biggest factors in adjusting Shift Slashers will be weighing how many teleports come from powers against how many more shifts we might get by replacing the boots.  I suspect it'll go back and forth as different methods rise and fall.

That's good.  So then it becomes a question of weighing it against the stat losses (1 conmod, 1 intmod).

You could keep the conmod up by going revenant, but you would need the feat shifter soul to get the shifter power back. Shifters also get a +2 bonus to damage rolls all encounter, which might help a bit (depending on #of attacks).  

Hm, i guess "use a power to teleport" doesn't require the teleportation keyword at all. So i guess it works, as long as its a power grants the shift/teleport.  

Yeah.
I think one of the biggest factors in adjusting Shift Slashers will be weighing how many teleports come from powers against how many more shifts we might get by replacing the boots.  I suspect it'll go back and forth as different methods rise and fall.

I think there is lots of potential there, not just in the build itself, but also considering parties with leaders granting shifts - e.g. a shaman with stalker spirit adept will grant you a free slash, another for every use of healing spirit (via invigorating spirit), avengers using inspiring oath, not to mention all the leader powers granting shifts...
It unfortunately is not. I checked myself on that one. Because the feat does not allow you to replace Charisma with the chosen score, you cannot modify Virtuous Strike. You could modify Strength-based can-be-used-as-MBA powers though (when they are used as MBAs).