Wizards of the Coast announcement

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you.  After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.


The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.


We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.


While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!


Greg Yahn


Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

As I've said I don't think it was the lack of profit that was the biggest contributing factor to dropping the license.  The biggest problem with Star Wars is its long turn around period, having to get LFL approval before any product can go to print means that the time between initial development costs and final profit intake is delayed compared to their in-house brands.



I can tell you that the approval period for web content is no more than 2 weeks. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you just have to start 2 weeks earlier on getting stuff over to them.

Nor do I believe that the core brands are actually sinking, though there may well have been concern about over saturating the market.  There are only so many potential customer dollars and WotC might not want a licensed product self competing against their core brands.



Once again you demonstrate that, as Bill suggests, you really have no idea what you are talking about because you don't have the facts. Just because you don't believe the core brands are in trouble doesn't mean its not true. And WotC has admitted as much through their words and actions over the last 2 to 3 years. The company has lost a lot of money on a lot of bad gambles, and in the meantime its taken all their effort to keep Magic at least halfway viable. My prediction is that D&D 4th Edition will be reformed or dropped by the end of this year.

Furthermore... WotC concerned about a licensed product competing against their core brands? What?? It hasn't bothered them for five years, LOL!! And while there may be some people at WotC dumb enough to believe that there are "potential customer dollars" available from those of us who play and bought their SWM/RPG product, I can promise you that number is far less than what might be projected. I'm very much looking forward to the day after MotF comes out, when I can proudly turn off the drain that has been funneling my hard-earned money to WotC. I for one will never give them another dollar on any products they produce. I'm positive that I'm not the only one. My expectation is that roughly 2/3 of the people who bought SWM won't simply switch over to one of their other products just for the sake of gaming. Anyway you slice it, WotC is cutting a part of its revenue stream, and a significant one at that. D&D 4th Edition will continue to hemorrage, and Magic will probably be their last game before Hasbro turns out the lights.


This is where the requirement of LFL approval rears its ugly head.  It radically drives up the cost of producing web content, and means that articles and updates can end up held up for weeks or even months.  The website fulfills its most basic function, informing customers what products exist and what products are upcoming.


Again, not true, but really not worth debating. It's impossible to drive up the cost of something that doesn't cost anything.

Well, Bill has every right to be angry. And he is correct, it is a slap in the face.

Being upset is understandable, I'm certainly not happy with this turn of events myself, but hurling insults is not a productive response, especially as the ship has sailed.  We aren't here discussing a possible future event, the license has already been dropped, end of story, and nothing any of us say now will change that.



This is about the only point where you and I agree at all. 

As to the idea that SWs doesn't "sell"...


 
Bill I am not sure you are relating this to my post but if you are then you perhaps misunderstood it.  I simply don't believe that you can stick a Star Wars label on something and it will return profitable sales.  Personally I believe SWM to have been a success, much more successful than I ever imagined (not least of which the reason Boris highlights above) it could ever be.  That having been said, I don't know a single company that isn't having to make tough business decisions.  If they have limited resources and they can get better return on their investments on their core products then dropping the SW license is the smart thing for them to do.  I would rather have a WotC without SWM than no WotC.  WotC’s perceived failures such as D&D 4ed are clearly a reaction to a siphoning off of their business to places such as MMRPGs.  They have basically throwing Hail Marys for years now.  Hail Marys fail more than they succeed.  The fact is none of us know for certain what their real financial situation is, what LFL asked for the licensing rights, or what pressures Hasbro has put on them. 

@Forcepush - I would assume by "branding" he meant "modern branding" or some other term like that.  In that case, he is absolutely correct.  SWs completely changed how toys are marketed, produced, and licensed in the modern business market.  I'm sure that's what he was referring to.



Star Wars revolutionized how film and television were merchandized not the field of branding, modern or otherwise.  Branding has a more specific meaning than the way both you and klecser are using it.  I know I am being picayune but this was kind of the final straw in a series of statements that really demonstrate a lack of business knowledge.  Which is fair of course as this is not a business forum but a gaming forum.  It is just tiring reading “all WotC had to do is this….”  I remember once Bill during the GowK debates you wrote in response to a post something like “if you have thought of a solution to the Gowk problem than so have we, but it won’t work because of X,Y,Z”.  More than likely if one of our posters have come up with magic solution for WotC, WotC thought of it first and couldn’t implement it for some reason.

I have been a collector first and a player only occasionally.  Right now I am more excited about the game than ever.  I am looking forward to the SHNN podcast tonight.  I believe that the game in the state it is in now will improve.  There will be things brought into the game that WotC never could.
And seriously, and with all due respect to you, how idiotic is it to abandon a licensed product line with an established name in order to try to fix an in-house set of products that are performing so poorly in the grand scheme of tabletop gaming that they require "strengthening?"



Yep. It would be idiotic, and that's why it didn't happen for that reason. It makes no sense.



I'm sorry, Tanner, but you know I believe differently on this one. There's simply too much published material on the subject to make me think the problems with the core brands aren't related to this decision, and more importantly, to the treatment of this product line for the last 5 years.

I'm not saying they should outright drop their core brands, but I can't see how cutting any amount of revenue stream is going to help them solve that problem.



Yep again. SWM barely registered within WotC. Rob was just some guy who sat off by himself working on "that star wars game" with a bit of help from others when needed. It became a bit more visible with the addition of SAGA but not my much--it was mostly freelance and part time after Chris Perkins headed up the core mechanics creation as a testbed for something more important to WotC. It's pretty telling that when SWM got to it's final stages Rob and Sarah left the company rather than "shoring up" these core brands somehow. It just doesn't make much sense if that's what was going on internally that two people who were (according to this theory) heading up a license brand that was doing well wouldn't be moved over to a core brand that was struggling if you're really "shoring up" those brands.

What I believe the real situation was is they were basically ignored (which granted isn't necessarily the best way to run a line) while the sales looked good and when the sales stopped looking good: seeya! cut costs, license end, product stop, employees go. No real thought or concern about how it affects the rest of the company because it was always it's own little island anyway.



I think everything you say here is true. WotC never cared about this brand, not enough to give it the attention it needed in the areas of marketing, quality control, and support. In essence, what this means is they cared little or nothing for their customers, either. That is obviously not true for every WotC employee, but enough of the ones in positions of power to make growing the product line's customer base incredibly difficult. Regardless, it's how we got to this point. There was never any real effort made to improve the customer base once sales started to decline.

Also, I think we are neglecting the fact in this discussion that as the product line failed, so with it did we see mistakes and inadequate amounts of playtesting. Not just with minis, either. The RPG books required pages and pages of errata because they were rushed to the printer without review by the proofreaders, which are probably interns.

The minis cards have just as many mistakes, and it should be an embarrassment to WotC. Of course, it's probably not, because that would require them to give a darn, and as you point out, they don't. So with that said,  anyone who simply switches gears and starts playing Magic or D&D is simply rewarding WotC for their treatment of you as a customer with their SW brand. And ask any 3.5er, just because you show your loyalty to the company despite them spitting on you doesn't mean they won't pull the rug out from you at any moment with those other games, either.
The company has lost a lot of money on a lot of bad gambles, and in the meantime its taken all their effort to keep Magic at least halfway viable.

Just last week one of my friends participated in the pre-release tournament for the latest MtG set, it had 44 participants.   Even when SWM was at the top of its popularity, the local set release events never topped 12 players.  Turnout might be down for MtG but it's still better than SWM at its best.
The company has lost a lot of money on a lot of bad gambles, and in the meantime its taken all their effort to keep Magic at least halfway viable.

Just last week one of my friends participated in the pre-release tournament for the latest MtG set, it had 44 participants.   Even when SWM was at the top of its popularity, the local set release events never topped 12 players.  Turnout might be down for MtG but it's still better than SWM at its best.



And that type of attitude is why SWM was never given a chance.  I'm sure a few MtG big wigs were thinking the same thing as you.  Also, I can't speak for myself, but I'm sure SWM release events have topped 12 players.  You might want to recant that statement.
The company has lost a lot of money on a lot of bad gambles, and in the meantime its taken all their effort to keep Magic at least halfway viable.

Just last week one of my friends participated in the pre-release tournament for the latest MtG set, it had 44 participants.   Even when SWM was at the top of its popularity, the local set release events never topped 12 players.  Turnout might be down for MtG but it's still better than SWM at its best.



NOt necessarily everywhere. At my store we had noone turn out for that event but we have on average 10-12 people 2x a week for star wars miniatures. And as to dnd minis and DNd 4.0 we have a low turnout for them too, our store owner has gotten to the point where he will only order a case of ddm initialy unless more are asked for. ANd the same goes for DND 4.0 . there is verry little reason for him to sell the product when noone wants it. ON the other side the only star wars miniature boosters he can keep in are clojne wars and galaxy at war( because most of us have almost all of them).
Yeah, news flash: the turn-out at your local venue may not and in fact probably isn't reflective of the product sales at the national level.

I mean, I could say that based on participation at my LGS that Naruto is a HOT game, but I know better than that. Tongue out 
And that type of attitude is why SWM was never given a chance.  I'm sure a few MtG big wigs were thinking the same thing as you.  Also, I can't speak for myself, but I'm sure SWM release events have topped 12 players.  You might want to recant that statement.

I said LOCAL events, I'm sure there are locations were SWM events score more players, but I also know that there are places where MtG scores three digit turnouts.

ANd the same goes for DND 4.0 . there is verry little reason for him to sell the product when noone wants it.

While WotC doesn't release sales figures it is a fact that several 4e books have made the best sellers list, so someone is buying it. 
Honestly, the thing that gets me, is that really, SWM needed slightly less than the core brands. There is so much new stuff for Star Wars to piggy back of. Can anyone seriously tell me that tapping into all of that is harder than trying to drumb up new interest in the core brands?

Honestly, they still did a lot of things better than Decipher did.
And that type of attitude is why SWM was never given a chance.  I'm sure a few MtG big wigs were thinking the same thing as you.  Also, I can't speak for myself, but I'm sure SWM release events have topped 12 players.  You might want to recant that statement.

I said LOCAL events, I'm sure there are locations were SWM events score more players, but I also know that there are places where MtG scores three digit turnouts.

ANd the same goes for DND 4.0 . there is verry little reason for him to sell the product when noone wants it.

While WotC doesn't release sales figures it is a fact that several 4e books have made the best sellers list, so someone is buying it. 



Local or not, your numbers don't reflect every venue.  That's my point.  You, probably like the WotC higher ups, used flattering data to showcase MtG.  In turn, they tried to magnify any poor numbers that SWM showed.  Numbers can be manipulated to show whatever you want to show. 

Again, this all has to do with WotC support.  In spite of all the neglect, SWM was still a viable product.  Was it as profitable as they liked?  Probably not.  However, that could be attributed to WotC's general lack of advertising.  You speak of adequate advertising for SWM.  I've never seen anything of the sort.  The closest I've seen are a few ads in Star Wars comics.  That's it.

Yeah, news flash: the turn-out at your local venue may not and in fact probably isn't reflective of the product sales at the national level.

I mean, I could say that based on participation at my LGS that Naruto is a HOT game, but I know better than that.  



I would hope so....lol


While checking out the DCI ratings and rankings, I decided to see if anyone here in New Mexico plays DCI with SWM sadly no one does. I've tried all of the things you all have said to try to grow the game in my area none have worked due to the folks here perfering to play card games such as MtG,yu-gi-oh,anima,maple story.

Now I don't know how many folks play non DCI games with SWM,so I can't comment on that.But I do know that whoever stocks the stuff here is behind by two sets....


And as for marketing,I can't ever recall an ad or a tv spot for either MTG or D&D. Could LFL have put ads in any of the SW books (note i say books and not comic books)? I think they could have, I mean looking back at the books, many of them have been on nationial best sellers list. Just think how many folks could have seen an ad for SWM there.

Now I'm not a marketing or buniess major as some of you seem to be,lol. But I think along with WotC doing more so could have LFL as i stated above about the books.

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Honestly, they still did a lot of things better than Decipher did.

I played the old Decipher card game, brings back fond memories, and I still think it's the best collectible game I have ever had the joy to play.  Though I also remember being outraged when I heard LFL was yanking the license from them and handing it over to some upstart company called WotC (those guys that made that crappy MtG card game), but I was young and prone to needless emotional outbursts back them.

Anyway, IIRC, most of the "mistakes" decipher made in handling the SW license were imposed upon them by LFL, or at least so they claimed.  After they lost the license they spoke about all the projects and programs they had wanted to implement but that LFL wouldn't give them permission for.
I've tried all of the things you all have said to try to grow the game in my area none have worked due to the folks here perfering to play card games such as MtG,yu-gi-oh,anima,maple story.



You might try hitting some of the stores that focus on Games Workshop products.  You have a ready built crowd that enjoys miniature gaming.  The fact that SWM won't be produced anymore might even be a selling point in that they can approach the game as if it weren't a CMG. 

Now I'm not a marketing or buniess major as some of you seem to be,lol. But I think along with WotC doing more so could have LFL as i stated above about the books.



Not really LFL's job to promote SWM that is WotCs. 
I've tried all of the things you all have said to try to grow the game in my area none have worked due to the folks here perfering to play card games such as MtG,yu-gi-oh,anima,maple story.



You might try hitting some of the stores that focus on Games Workshop products.  You have a ready built crowd that enjoys miniature gaming.  The fact that SWM won't be produced anymore might even be a selling point in that they can approach the game as if it weren't a CMG. 

Now I'm not a marketing or buniess major as some of you seem to be,lol. But I think along with WotC doing more so could have LFL as i stated above about the books.



Not really LFL's job to promote SWM that is WotCs. 



oh,I should have mentioned I live down in Roswell so right now the only venue we have is the peter piper pizza, and I know it isn't thire job,but they could have also helped.

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
Yeah, I meant modern branding.  I'm no marketing expert, obviously.  I will yield to forcepush's knowledge at any time.  But, there is a ton of evidence out there that shows what Star Wars did to movie marketing and how it changed since then.  Games FEED off of Movies and books for their inspiration and most successful lines have some inspiration that they draw from.

If somebody sees star wars stamped on a game and another game has some generic universe stamped on it (*cough*Dreamblade*cough*), the non-star wars product is at an immediate disadvantage. 
... I will yield to forcepush's knowledge at any time.



You know what kills me, after all these years now, at the 11th hour, I finally have something cool to put in my sig Wink.
... I will yield to forcepush's knowledge at any time.



You know what kills me, after all these years now, at the 11th hour, I finally have something cool to put in my sig .



Lol, you should have had that years ago

Anyways, I apologize for seeming abrupt and rude in my earlier post.  I just disdain WotC apologies at this point in time, and the poster I was responding to was showing a lack of knowledge of the product, yet speaking as if he were some kind of insider.  That didn't rub me the right way

Now, the SHNN show was highlighted tonight.  And I hope everyone gets a chance to listen in.  We won't be dwelling on the negatives, the excuses, the license, etc.  We will be talking about the future of the game.

And honestly, for those of you who like myself, have enjoyed the game despite WotC's years of mismanagement (or as Nickname suggested, ignoring), this may in fact be the best time in the game's history going forward.  We have the ability to do so many things with the game that WotC could not, would not, or were unable to accomplish. 

No game to my knowledge has ever had this type of community and following, and by that I mean the quality of the players and posters over the years.  Many of our "fights" were the results of arguing over the peanunt crumbs that WotC would occasionally throw our way, but most of the time over petty squabbles about personality issues, and so on.  None of that matters going forward however.

I have a less than 0 loyalty to WotC going forward, and like Dennis, will never give WotC another dime once MotF is released.  They are not a company with a history of supporting their players and games, and that isn't just true of SWMs and Saga.  Unless of course you found some other use for your vast collection of Dreamblade minis that is

The game will go on, as will the RPG with the support of the people who have always cared most about it, the players.  In many respects, we are much more capable than WotC at running this game anyways.  We have a significantly larger "staff", people with care for the enjoyment of the game and the SWs universe that WotC never had.  We also have skills at playing, analyzing and designing that WotC could not replicate for SWMs.  Look at it this way.  WotC is comprized today almost entirely of the great Magic Pro-Tour players and D&D people.  Why hire those who know the game the best?  Quite simply, because they are the best people out there to advise on it.  We have that now with SWMs.  The future may look bleak at the moment, but stick it out.  It will get better, much much better.

Check us out on the Sith Holo News Network tonight at 7:30PM Central time at www.talkshoe.com search for 63807.  Or listen to the MP3 either on www.swmgamers.com, itunes, or from talkshoe itself afterwards.  The game is now ours, and it's time to unleash the power of the dark side on SWMs
Let share my perspective as a casual SWM consumer.  I am not a hard core SWM gamer.  I very rarely even played the game, but I did buy the product for two reasons.

1) I use them as customs for another game (heroscape), and

2) I love Star Wars and love Star wars stuff.

But despite #2 above I am not a huge fan of some fringe (e.g. novels and video games) Star Wars content.  I stopped buying much SWM stuff a few sets ago because they were going off into the fringe material.  I know very little about KotOR ad the legacy comics and things like that so minisof those individuals didn't really appeal to me much.  Sure there were individual minis that caught my eye, butmostly I wasn't interested.

Eevn if they didn't go off into the fringe stuff the core SW stuff was pretty tapped out for a casual fan of the minis like me.  I had several Lukes and Hans and Leias and Chewie.  I have a ton of stormtrooper and clone troopers.  I didn't really need any more of that stuff.  Sure there are a few core minis that could have been made, but they ar few and far bewteen.

 Any Edition


Posters in all your local comic shops is worth about as much as an advertisement in a newspaper emphasizing the value of reading newspapers. That's not really branching out to reach new customers or to advertise a product. Let's not forget, Hasbro owns WotC, and they don't seem to have trouble selling Star Wars toys. 



Love the analogy in the first part here.  Just to add some more food for thought about the idea that Star Wars sells itself as many have pointed out...

As an avid (or more like rabid) action figure collector, I have been following the SW line since the mid-90's.  Product lines have come and gone bearing the SW logo.  Some were really bad ideas, but some were selling well enough to clear the pegs, but apparantly not profitable enough.  Lately, the action figures (and similar price point product lines) are taking big hits.  The comics two-packs are no more, the 2" unleashed line is on life support, the titanium brand die-cast ships are gone, and now the carded action figure line (the bread and butter) is in trouble.  Recently, in a Q&A with Hasbro, they said :
Legacy sales have been so far off the mark - and retailers
have enough inventory - that even the EU wave has become a Toys 'R Us
exclusive in May, with some online retailers having access to the last
of the run in June.



The Legacy line is the mostly movie-character line and would usually see around 15 waves of about 6-8 new figures each per year.  The EU wave was the first big one of 2010 and it's bumped and no new figures in the line are expected until August.  I think that speaks volumes for the market of SW brand right now in general.  Hasbro is not hte epitome of a successful marketing company, but when their 15+ year old line is faltering in sales, there must be something bigger.  Passing massive quantities into the "exclusive" category for the action figures is pretty much dumping the loss on the store that buys the rights and guaranteed sales for Hasbro.

I don't think the SWM game was marketed as well as possible.  We probably have a bit of a skewed view since we all spend a lot of time on SWM boards full of people who do buy the product.  I know a lot of other collectors that never got into this line and that might have been different with better marketing, but maybe not.  I guess I see it as a general decline in a niche market (SW brand and SWM as a subset of that) at a tough economic time (especially in the U.S.) and not just the lack of attention from the company.  Not entirely letting WotC off the hook, but I think there is more involved.  Whether you agree or not, that's my theory.


I'm sorry, Tanner, but you know I believe differently on this one.



Sure. No problem with people speculating on unknowable events and coming up with their own conclusion. This particular bit of speculation was being repeated enough, by enough different people, and casually as if fact, that I wanted it to be at least a bit more clear that it's not fact, and while possible, other conclusions are possible as well and arguably fit the circumstances at least as well as that explanation. Ultimately, we'll never know, and it doesn't matter anyway because WotC won't be releasing sets after MotF regardless.

These are dark times, and indeed very sad times to see this brilliant game go
I've removed content from this thread because trolling is a  Code of Conduct violation.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...
Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.
I've removed content from this thread because trolling is a  Code of Conduct violation.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...
Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.



The last post seemed fine to me (other than the language).  Not sure why it was removed.  Why not simply edit out the language?  There were only a few words that needed to be removed in that case.
I've removed content from this thread because trolling is a  Code of Conduct violation.  You can review the Code of Conduct here: wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg...
Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.



The last post seemed fine to me (other than the language).  Not sure why it was removed.  Why not simply edit out the language?  There were only a few words that needed to be removed in that case.



Lol, perhaps it hit too close to home and someone got nervous
The 'new' Monopoly.  Is this what Hasbro means by focusing on their core?

finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/10...

YMMV
You know what I just heard? Blah, blah, spiritual mumbo jumbo, blah, blah, something about Space. --Toph Bei Fong Think "can do" not "can't do". Not all character concepts are equally cool. Not all house rules are equally cool. If you are spending time making a house rule, ask yourself why you aren't putting the time into making cool encounters instead?
The 'new' Monopoly.  Is this what Hasbro means by focusing on their core?

finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/10...

YMMV



hmmm if another company were to pick up SWM and give a new rules set that would be the saame question...

and as for the Monoply game, I'd have to look at it in the soter to give oyu a better idea of how I feel about it.

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
The 'new' Monopoly.  Is this what Hasbro means by focusing on their core?

finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/10...

YMMV



An anniversary edition where Hasbro moves something that had a square base to round eh.  They might have been better off paying a little closer attention to how we recieved A&E.

I think I will hold off for the reprint.
Boy, what a bummer

Honestly, they still did a lot of things better than Decipher did.



 Are you only talking about reflections III and after?

Please expand on that, I really only thought the first mistake set was Ref III.

Do you want to help advance the game when Wizards pulls the plug? Go Here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22337613/Minis_YOU_want_to_see:_The_first_step - - -

Honestly, they still did a lot of things better than Decipher did.



 Are you only talking about reflections III and after?

Please expand on that, I really only thought the first mistake set was Ref III.




They did hurt the brand by releasing 3 CCGs for essentially the same market. Granted, this was back when CCG's were big, and Pokemon had just hit it big. But Jedi Knights was still going to split the market, moreso than Young Jedi.

I think SWCCG would've survived the planned SWCCG 2.0, as Star Trek did okay with the change. But with what they did to their OP, dear god. Seriously, complain about DCI all you want, but at least you don't have to pay $1 per player for sanctioning.
Honestly if you have a real love for the game, $1 a game is not bad, i have played some games that were 5 a game, so a dollar is nothing. Im just begging the Force that this can be picked back up, I just worry about anybody besides WotC or LCL actually doing it. Never know what kind of mess someone else may place into it.

I don't think you fully understand. For registrating the tournament, you had to pay Decipher, NOT the store, $1 per player. Essentially a ranking tax. It had no bearing on SWCCG, because it was already pretty much in the PC's hands by that time. If there had been no other options though, you would've had similar things happen as to what happened to Wars and LOTR.

And dear god, don't get me started on "prize support". Bison Bucks indeed.

Thanks Wizo's for a reat game and for the ride. Even though I've not played as mush SWM and my LGS can't seem to get any interest for tournies... I got my case of DT's and loved it....can't wait for Masters of the Force.....I'll miss you SWM and to all of you gamers on this forum over the years
The game store that i went to for the last 4 years for tournements just stopped there SWM's tournements, so i am already setting up running my own, and i have at least 3 friends that I know will come weekly. So for me and my friends the game hasn't ended.
These are dark times, and indeed very sad times to see this brilliant game go



I am only a casual lurker on this side of the forums, as my son really enjoys this game.   I am not trying to pick on anyone, but I just do not understand the overall sentiment expressed above. 

Where is the game going?  There are currently like 800-900 minis available and another set due out in April.  The game is going nowhere.  August or whenever they say it will no longer be for retail sale you will still have your collections and the game is still a very playable game.


Personally, I am a fan of AAM and War at Sea and I would be thrilled if those games make it as far as SWM.   I would count my stars that you have this much notice to save up and stock up if you desire and truly love the game.  With the products I enjoy (Let's face the AH line is truly the unwanted step child of WoTC) I imagine we will be told six months after they make the last set...."oh by the way we are not making anymore" Wink

We have a very active SWM group at our LGS where my son plays.  They have no intention to stop playing.  Yes, I am sure interest may wane several months down the road when there are no new releases, but that is no reason to sulk now.  Heck you already know you are getting a new set in April.  Do you have any clue how long AAM/WAS players wait between new sets in eager anticipation?......12-18 months or longer.

The selfish side of me thinks maybe this will mean WoTC will devote more time to my games.....but reality sets in and I know Magic or some other new interest will get the attention when the void that was SWM occurs.

So, enjoy what you have and count your blessings you have as much as you do right now.  If War at Sea ended today we would have a total of 3 sets (164 minis) since 2006.....how much SWM since 2006? Wink

SWM is a great game...especially for a Star Wars fan.  It will be around for many years as long as you maintain your collections and do not let it die.  I know I look forward to keeping my collections of Soldiers and ships for many years to come long after they stop making them.  I have a feeling my son plans to do the same or I will keep them for him.  I would encourage you to do the same.

OK, sorry I will step down from the soap box now.

I



Well, no, the game isn't technically going anywhere, in the sense that Wizards isn't repossessing our minis, but make no mistake, the game as we have known it IS ending.  That doesn't mean it's getting worse, but I think it's worth taking a moment to reflect on this great game and all the fun we've had with it, especially as we as a community consider the best way to move forward.

I don't think anyone here is saying that the game didn't last a long time (several have explicitly said the opposite), or that they are ungrateful to have what they have.  But I think we have the right to be upset that Wizards is abandoning us--just as much right as the players of any other game would have. 

I have great faith in the dedication and ingenuity of this community, and I have no doubt that the game is going to continue to grow and develop in a lot of ways.  But I'm still saddened that it has come to this point.
Hey Butthead!  This sucks!  change it!
I, for one, am thrilled that WOTC will no longer hold the license and I hope it passes into the hands of someone that will treat it properly.

They stopped supporting the Revised Edition of the RPG, letting it languish for over a year, just to print as much money as they could with the minis, and when LucasFilms forced them to start working on the RPG again, or lose the license, they give us tiny books that cost as much as their full-sized D&D counterparts.

Good riddance, WOTC.  I'm looking forward to never spending a dime on your products again.
I would like to say that I am sad to hear this but I stopped buying anything new from WOTC when they stopped supporting the RCR books (much like seldrane above). 
Before this is all over, we'll at least get official errata for each of the books, right?
Sign In to post comments