Wizards of the Coast announcement

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you.  After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

Well, this is certainly a sad day, but hardly a surprise at this point. Here's hoping that MotF proves to be worthy of being the final set.

I guess that, after MotF comes out, I'm not going to be buying anything more from WotC. The only other WotC game I played was the Star Wars TCG, and I have no real desire to get into a third game.
Who's going to pick it up now? 

Unfortunatly there's little chance of anyone picking it up.  Current economic climate aside, a miniatures game is awfuly close to toys, so Hasbro might be able to put a stop to anyone putting out a new product line.  Best hope at this point is that hasbro might see some value in collectible mini-figs and put out their own product line, but the minis-game is likely dead.

How right you are! Hasbro is coming out with stat cards for their 3.75" figures--it's their way of turning the action figures into a game. I'm surprised the RPG is being cancelled too though.

While I am by no means shocked that this happened the fact that it has saddens me deeply. I feel like I have lost a part of myself I have had some of my best times with this game. I also can't help but feel like wizards dropped the ball on this one of course that may just be my anger talking. 

Either way its been a great ride with that said I bid you all farewell.

May the Force be with you. 
Behold the power of the Staff of Two Heads -Master Jaken's Fighting Words-
I'm bumed to read this, it was the only Wizards game i played...but i'm not that down and I won't sell my mini's b/c if you noticed the last sentince they said it might circle back again. there is still hope that maybe in a year or so when the economy is better that they will renew there license and bring it back with a kick butt set called "A New Hope". lets pray for that.
How right you are! Hasbro is coming out with stat cards for their 3.75" figures--it's their way of turning the action figures into a game. I'm surprised the RPG is being cancelled too though.

That sounds quite interesting... I might have to look into that.

This is very sad news, but I agree with everyone and hope someone else picks up the game right where it'll leave off.

The only WotC products I bought were SWM and SW Saga, so that money will go somewhere else until some other company picks up SWM, so adios WotC...
I'm also bummed about the decision Wizards of the Coast have made. A friend and I play the Saga Game. He told me the news, I was so depressed. Like my friend said, "It saves me $40 a month on the RPG games. The last book, Unknown Regions, is the last product that I will be purchasing from Wizards of the Coast since the Star Wars license will be gone. Their mistake." and I fell the same.
Ditto to what a lot of you had to say.

This just can't be a surprise to anyone here. Is it??????? This is not rocket science comrades. The level of customer service from WOTC for the SWM commmunity has been subpar for quite some time now. IMO, the first sign ( or red flag, if you will ) was when they went from 60 minis to 40. Then was the dropping of league kits, promos, etc., which effectively killed the game at my LGS. My guys were pissed and all but stopped coming weekly, except for myself and a few other die hards. Then to boost morale of the remnants that remained, they eliminated the inserts. Are you freakin' kidding me???????? Now fast forward to the present; No previews of upcoming minis for DT on WOTC, to help promote the game, generate interest, and take care of the faithful SW community???????? WOW..............just ridiculously unbelievable and truly unacceptable. Lame WOTC, just flat out disrespectful and a slap to all of our faces. 
              I digress. On a positive note, SWM community, live long and prosper ( sorry, I love ST also ) WOTC you suck, but I do thank you for bringing us the best game ever. I plan on playing till the day I die, and WOTC would have to pry the last mini out of the hand of my dying body before I stop playing this game.     So please everyone, don't let WOTC win and have the last word. Our game, as it is and always will be our game, will live on forever and ever. In the end, we just grow stronger and stay together, united in our own fruits of victory, not letting our beloved game ever die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May the Force be with us always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MC

We need to keep it alive. I am backing the a community effort to do something differant. Screw WOTC....

You are aware that the Star Wars CCG Players Commitee is well on it's way to release it's 20th V-set. They have a close relationship with Decipher, along with continual talks with LFL itself on what it can and cannot do. I am not sure if the IDC has official communications or not, but I do know that the SWCCG PC is fairly legitimate, and works well within the boundries of the limits imposed by LFL and Decipher. This relationship has caused them from releasing fairly bootleg looking slips that just changed text. Now, they can change names within certain limits (must be named on a Decipher card somewhere or generic sounding) and use their own images. Hell, Decipher essentially let them use thier Graphic Design templates now.

SWCCG is honestly going through a rough patch right now, but just last year, in the middle of January, had a big tournament that had to be cut off at 64 players that filled up. If you doubt our playerbase is not as devoted, than you have another thing coming.

I stand not only corrected, but heartened by this news.  I had heard that the Decipher Virtual Sets had been stopped.  Glad to see they haven't.

Though it would be cool to see SWM continue in this fashion, I think that if it is actually profitable (which I doubt, minis are way more expensive to manufacture.  The start up costs for a plastic miniature mold machine is astronomical) another company will offer to buy it.

Still, all things considered, it was nice to hear it way ahead of time and not right before a set release like what happened to HeroClix.
Well as some of you know I'm at DDXP until Sunday, but I wanted to chime in on this topic because it means a lot to me. Within a matter of minutes of this announcement my phone blew up with a dozen text messages and e-mails. I was playing D&D all day (8am-11pm) so I'm just now getting a chance to reply. It was hard to read through this entire thread on my 3.5 inch smart phone, no less write a reply. However, I have few things I want to say about SWM.

I've been gaming since I was a teenager (some 25 years now) and can say with sincere honesty that this is one of the best games I have ever played. I've been around the block a few a times and this is not the first time that a game I enjoy has ended (I'm sure it won't be the last). More than anything else what set this game apart from many others is the COMmunity involvement. From the volunteers, the artists, the organizers, the webmasters, the program designers, and the customizers, I've not seen this level of commitment in any other miniature game. I only hope that this type commitment continues for years to come.

As for me personally, well it's likely that my competitive playing days are behind me. There's a chance I might still play in an event or two at GenCon each year, but I would be much more inclined to play casual events like Tile Wars. Unfortunately I don't see myself playing in any of the Regionals or the Championship anymore. However, I can tell you this. Bob Smith (squid89) and I will continue to run Star Wars Miniature scenario's at Origins (perhaps even GenCon) for many years to come. Between the two of us we have a huge supply of miniatures. So we plan on making sure that they don't go to waste.

On the issue of another company creating a new Star Wars RPG or Miniature line, well to be blunt, it won't happen anytime soon (if at all). Right now the market just doesn't warrant the investment into launching a new game, not to mention the licensing costs. Really your best hope is that Wizards will reinvest in the license someday and reset both games.

Well that's all I have to say right now. I'm sure I will chime in some more when Ireturn home from DDXP.

-Shawn.
Photobucket
You want a community effort? Then if you're into the SW RPG, go to Saga-Edition.com, where we've been working on fanmade Saga submissions for almost as long as the Saga Edition Core Rulebook has been around. We also have forums for discussion of both the RPG and Miniatures, and even Play-By-Post Saga games.

I hate to make a sales pitch-esque statement or toot our own horn, but we've been trying to get some of the great ideas here brought over to Saga-Edition.com, and still, the site is fairly unknown. The Star Wars Roleplaying Game isn't dead until the players give up on it.
On the issue of another company creating a new Star Wars RPG or Miniature line, well to be blunt, it won't happen anytime soon (if at all). Right now the market just doesn't warrant the investment into launching a new game, not to mention the licensing costs. Really your best hope is that Wizards will reinvest in the license someday and reset both games. Well that's all I have to say right now. I'm sure I will chime in some more when Ireturn home from DDXP. -Shawn.

See, I am not so sure about that. Monpoc was released at an awfully bad time, economically speaking, and it obviously sold enough to keep making it. I think there is a good market available, and I doubt LFL really wants to lose such a prime tie in product with three big releases on the way (CW III, TFU II, and TOR).
You want a community effort? Then if you're into the SW RPG, go to Saga-Edition.com, where we've been working on fanmade Saga submissions for almost as long as the Saga Edition Core Rulebook has been around. We also have forums for discussion of both the RPG and Miniatures, and even Play-By-Post Saga games.

I hate to make a sales pitch-esque statement or toot our own horn, but we've been trying to get some of the great ideas here brought over to Saga-Edition.com, and still, the site is fairly unknown. The Star Wars Roleplaying Game isn't dead until the players give up on it.

This is excellent! Thank you for the info!

Unfortunatly there's little chance of anyone picking it up.  Current economic climate aside, a miniatures game is awfuly close to toys, so Hasbro might be able to put a stop to anyone putting out a new product line.  Best hope at this point is that hasbro might see some value in collectible mini-figs and put out their own product line, but the minis-game is likely dead.

Is that suposed to be sarcasm?  If so, while humorous, it seems backwards compared to my statement.  I suggested Hasbro might produce their own MINIS, not turn their action figure line into a game.  They already once produced a line that was about half-way between the size of the minis and action-figs, and have also produced a line of mini vehicles, so a line of mini figs at about the same scale as the current SWM wouldn't be surprising, even if unlikely at best.
 This sucks!  Now I have no games I still play.

Is that suposed to be sarcasm?  If so, while humorous, it seems backwards compared to my statement.  I suggested Hasbro might produce their own MINIS, not turn their action figure line into a game.  They already once produced a line that was about half-way between the size of the minis and action-figs, and have also produced a line of mini vehicles, so a line of mini figs at about the same scale as the current SWM wouldn't be surprising, even if unlikely at best.

Not at all sarcastic. I saw photo mock ups (which have been taken down now) just this week. Word is we'll see something at Toy Fair. I think the series you're thinking of is the Attactix line that had some early success but ran out of steam quickly. The images I saw were the standard 3.75" figures with special stands. It looks like they're trying to merge three markets: kids, adult collectors, and gamers.

This...just totally bites! First, you ruin Dungeons & Dragons. Second, you complicate MTG. Now, you are dropping Star Wars. Hey, if you are trying to compensate for the fact that 4th Ed is terrible, you are just making another mistake. I know, I know. It's business.

"Help us Obi Wan Kenobi....there is NO HOPE!"

I believe you guys are making a big mistake. Hey, what do the beloved fans and customers know about business though, right?

I'm gonna buy all the books that I don't have for Star Wars...and then I'm done with WOTC.

Sorry, nothing personal....just 'business'.
For those of you who will stop playing good luck and good bye.

For those of you who continue I will see you around hopefully.  Gamers maybe Smile

Thank you WotC for 5+ years of a game I have enjoyed tremedously overall.  Without that game I would not have met so many gamers and good people to be around.  I have made many friends for life so no matter what you did, it was good by me as a gamer even with any and all my complaining.

Unfortunately without Dreamblade, SWminis,  my stopping Axis and Allies mins after the resize and costing a couple years ago,the way your destroying the heroscape game hasbro passed down to you, you have only one product left being A&A Naval which I'm debating on buying the next set at this time. 

There isn't much left for me to do with your company but say goodbye.
Every move in this game is a mistake, the hope is that your opponent makes a bigger mistake when he makes his move.
Not at all sarcastic. I saw photo mock ups (which have been taken down now) just this week. Word is we'll see something at Toy Fair. I think the series you're thinking of is the Attactix line that had some early success but ran out of steam quickly. The images I saw were the standard 3.75" figures with special stands. It looks like they're trying to merge three markets: kids, adult collectors, and gamers.

Actually I was talking about these (link), though Attacktix is another good example.

Anyway,while I'm open to the concept that Hasbro might start packing game stat cards with their 3.75" line I'm inclined to say "prove it or it doesn't exist".  I saw photo mock ups which have been taken down now, is hardly the most corroborating evidence.
Congradulations WOTC, you have offically lost a huge part of your income.

Really I doubt they have...  Gaming is a niche industry.  Miniature gaming is a niche with in a niche. 

A Hundred thousand dollars a year is a lot of money, (just guessing) and I am sure with all the cases people buy and all the singles available on the market, around the world,  there is a great deal of money involved. that as mentioned from many members already have said, WOTC will never see.

Man, if only they would have released less EU characters and more movie characters the money they would have rolling in instead would justify the continuation of the game even if MtG wouldn't be able to get full attention.

Or maybe it was becuase we didn't get enough Eu. We only got what ten vaders?

Frak you Motti, I really hope you're kidding.  I am totally in disagreement with you.  I for one would have bought more if there had been more EU.  There are tons of EU characters that we have never gotten and never will now.  And Admiral Palleaon is probably one of those, as well as Shimra and Darth Zannah, just to name a few.

Your not alone, i too would of had more if there were more EU. What really annoys me is that most saying the rubbish that Motti ( jokeing or not) is saying, all say the same " i like EU but it does not sell"

Most members seem to A. collect everything or B. just concentrate on a faction. Well there plenty of EU even in the main factions.

Or they brought minis for RPG games, well then for them as many different characters can only be a plus.

Yes there may well have been some who only collect pacific characters ( movie characters) I have heard this a lot, but as of yet i no of nobody or have yet seen anyone in this community who does. Yet everyone seems to say this but cannot give names for some odd reason. I am sure one or two will say Oh i am one who does that, but the majority????

As for this by Motti
"However, Do look at how there are hardly any main characters in DT, and how many have expressed the opinion that it is less marketbale to a lot of collectors becuase of that. I'm not saying AT ALL that's why the game from Wizard's end died, but we never really will know for total sure whether people like you who would buy more when it's EU heavy outweigh  in terms of sales those who would buy less when EU-Heavy. I don't care personally. I probably want just as many movie characters as EU. I still haven't found a luke I really like. (The one with Use the Force and Flurry is pretty cool though). I hope the player's committee does a good restat of Luke, Rebel, with lots of "common" player suggestion and input, of course."

Well SWM is an difficult thing to judge in this way but if you look at other Star Wars merchandise i think you are wrong. If the Star Wars EU was not selling then there would be no books like Darth Bane, and if that book did not sell there differently would never have been a second Darth Bane book. and new books like the forthcoming Nomi Sunrider book would never have been comisand. You buy books on an individual basics. and the EU books sell.

Any way according to WOTC the "economic downturn" is the reason SWM's is not being continued. The fact that there license officially ends in May this year, just made there decision easier to do it at this time. A lot bigger company's than WOTC have gone under in the last 12 months because of this same reason. WOTC is still going even if some of there lines are stopping.

I will no longer be buying from WOTC though, but that is because i only brought SWM from them in the first place. I did buy D&DM in the past but stop when D&D 2.0 minis came out.

It's been fun.

Can't say I'm surprised that the game has been killed.

I am very, very sad about it, though.

I don't see WotC getting any more of my money. I simply don't play any of their other games. I tried D&D minis and RPG and it wasn't my thing. I tried Magic and it wasn't my thing, either. I even got on the Dreamblade bandwagon when it first launched and soon discovered how awaful that was. And I've had no interest in their other games.

I will support the fan-run efforts going forward.
Second, you complicate MTG. 

Complicate MTG?  When are you talking about, 5th edition rules?

As for the topic at hand, I'm pretty happy Saga got 'mostly done' before the proverbial plug was pulled.  It's a great edition and people locally seem to like it a lot. 

I don't see WotC getting any more of my money. I simply don't play any of their other games. I tried D&D minis and RPG and it wasn't my thing. I tried Magic and it wasn't my thing, either. I even got on the Dreamblade bandwagon when it first launched and soon discovered how awaful that was. And I've had no interest in their other games.

I concur.

Very sad to see this happen. I will at least be able to catch up on my collection, and will support whatever moves the community makes. It still sucks though. MOTF better have Jan Ors. Or I'm going to shank someone
Well this is certainly disappointing but I have a few comments,

To the person saying 100k in revenue is alot of money........that is one of the most foolish ignorant things I have ever heard in regards to a business, if your costs and license fees are high (which they probably are its STAR WARS it doesnt get any bigger lol) your probably losing alot of money. I would hope that the revenue from this game is in the millions per year at the least....whoever thinks a big name license that pulls in 100k is good you need to stay in school or take some classes lol.

This move is extremely short sighted on WOTC part, when the economy recovers you will have lost this large and fairly safe fan base/product Star wars sells and will always sell you just need to be putting out a product that takes advantage of that.  WOTC won't ever get this back they would have been better toughing it out another year for long term gain.

WOTC made it too easy for people not to buy product with there character selection in the sets, balancing the OT, PT and EU (having each in every set) would have made it alot harder for fans of certain trilogies or source material to avoid a set based around source material they dont like.  While I a hardcore Star wars fan loved darktimes I couldnt help think what other people might be thinking about a set with Hett, Kir Kanos and the Dark time comic book cast....it wouldnt surprise me if casual fans avoid this set, What character is there that will sell boosters or cases to get? Hett....Kanos...Jennir.......I honestly think none of them you need a Revan or a Cade Skywalker, Thrawn, if your going to sell EU material and a Vader, Luke, Anakin, Yoda,  to appease the movie fans.

There needs to be a piece(s) that sells a set, in Heroclix there is always a Prime, Earth 2, KC character etc that fans are excited to see that drive the prices up for those characters and sell boosters.

Lastly extremely poor balancing of melee/shooters and factions (rebels + rieekan), when everyone runs the same factions and characters that never helps, there seems to be a lack of play testing and vision for the game in regards to balance.
Well, it looks like the Mayans were wrong, the apocalypse is in 2010 not 2012.  First is the end of the KotOR comic series and now this.  I'll still keep my collection, try to move my extras, and try to pick up some more Mandalorians.  Maybe we'll see the game on the flip side, if there is one someday.  My money says farewell to you, WotC, maybe I'll get around to making a Boba Fett costume and joining the 501st.
My trade thread http://community.wizards.com/marketplace/go/thread/view/94961/22314269/MandaloreTheFirsts_Armory._Buy,_Sell,_and_Trade. +66 Good Trades "Look Ma, I'm a Jedi Knight!" Trades in progress: none Good Trades: C3P01971 x6, Kenred2 x5, dojimaster x4, urbanjedi x4, Chiech x2, mandaloreresurrector x2, crapface x2, JamesWys x2, Jason1977 x2, ChuckaFett x2, barzillai x2, sw_rebel_storm_miniatures x2, RogueThirteen x2, Silocan x2, creme_brule, dinofs1, PhoenixDarksider, bradu, Lily_Wan, suki_jedi_apprentice, Vilrin, pastordamon, Darth_Onus, scourgeofthenewrepublic, Vaun_Kale, username, wampafang, vlad9969, lestiff416, james_douglas77, Lt_Murgen, starwiz, Kael_Dronna, DARTH_TED, MandoMerc, Boss Nass, moboley, Evil_Eater_of_Dream, darthtyree67, Bo_Master, Bohica, ------------------------------------------------------------ Bloomilk Trade refrences: +4 Good Trades Good Trades: SquelchDog, ChuckaFett, engineer, TimmerB123 Bad Trades: 0
From Star Wars.com

Lucas Licensing continues to see miniatures, roleplaying games and card games as viable and important elements in its Star Wars licensing program, both in digital form (like the recently launched trading card game within Star Wars Galaxies), and in physical products like figures, books and cards. Keep checking StarWars.com for announcements regarding future products in this area in the coming months.

It doesn't get my hopes up, but sounds like they might want to continue things. 

Your not alone, i too would of had more if there were more EU. What really annoys me is that most saying the rubbish that Motti ( jokeing or not) is saying, all say the same " i like EU but it does not sell"

Most members seem to A. collect everything or B. just concentrate on a faction. Well there plenty of EU even in the main factions.

Or they brought minis for RPG games, well then for them as many different characters can only be a plus.

Yes there may well have been some who only collect pacific characters ( movie characters) I have heard this a lot, but as of yet i no of nobody or have yet seen anyone in this community who does. Yet everyone seems to say this but cannot give names for some odd reason. I am sure one or two will say Oh i am one who does that, but the majority????

As for this by Motti
"However, Do look at how there are hardly any main characters in DT, and how many have expressed the opinion that it is less marketbale to a lot of collectors becuase of that. I'm not saying AT ALL that's why the game from Wizard's end died, but we never really will know for total sure whether people like you who would buy more when it's EU heavy outweigh  in terms of sales those who would buy less when EU-Heavy. I don't care personally. I probably want just as many movie characters as EU. I still haven't found a luke I really like. (The one with Use the Force and Flurry is pretty cool though). I hope the player's committee does a good restat of Luke, Rebel, with lots of "common" player suggestion and input, of course."

Well SWM is an difficult thing to judge in this way but if you look at other Star Wars merchandise i think you are wrong. If the Star Wars EU was not selling then there would be no books like Darth Bane, and if that book did not sell there differently would never have been a second Darth Bane book. and new books like the forthcoming Nomi Sunrider book would never have been comisand. You buy books on an individual basics. and the EU books sell.

Dude. My statement (which it's pretty clear that you didn;t actually read it and you just skipped to what you wanted to hear) was "we never really will know for total sure whether people like you who would buy more when it's EU heavy outweigh  in terms of sales those who would buy less when EU-Heavy."

Do you honestly disagree with that? Do you know for sure that EU stuff sold better in the game? Note also how I didn't say that "EU was not selling," what I said was that we don't really know how the % of EU characters affected the sales of each set. If you have proof that having more EU cahracters would have made the game sell better show it to me. But like I said in that last argument, if EU was so marketable, then Wizards would have likely gone heavier on it. 
Do you want to help advance the game when Wizards pulls the plug? Go Here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22337613/Minis_YOU_want_to_see:_The_first_step - - -

This is excellent! Thank you for the info!

No problem. Thanks for looking into it!
I do think that WOTC have chosen a very bad time to drop Star Wars and I dare say there will be companies begging for the licence.  We have Clone Wars running at the moment which at leats seems to be popular.  Then there is the Live Action TV series still rumoured to be next year.  I'm more in thinking that SWM was making only a small profit but WOTC is fed up of all the to & fro'ing to LFL for approval of everything.  WOTC do seem to prefer their own products, even Heroscape is now D&D based.

WOTC made it too easy for people not to buy product with there character selection in the sets, balancing the OT, PT and EU (having each in every set) would have made it alot harder for fans of certain trilogies or source material to avoid a set based around source material they dont like.  While I a hardcore Star wars fan loved darktimes I couldnt help think what other people might be thinking about a set with Hett, Kir Kanos and the Dark time comic book cast....it wouldnt surprise me if casual fans avoid this set, What character is there that will sell boosters or cases to get? Hett....Kanos...Jennir.......I honestly think none of them you need a Revan or a Cade Skywalker, Thrawn, if your going to sell EU material and a Vader, Luke, Anakin, Yoda,  to appease the movie fans. 

Not balancing the factions is the biggest problem with SWM IMHO. 

But I disagree about the character selection.  As a collector I prefer a wider selection of characters than just repeats of Han, Luke & Vader.  I buy only the occasional Star Wars action figure nowadays and when I do it's always an unusual or interesting looking character like Dice Ibegon that I buy.

From Star Wars.com

Lucas Licensing continues to see miniatures, roleplaying games and card games as viable and important elements in its Star Wars licensing program, both in digital form (like the recently launched trading card game within Star Wars Galaxies), and in physical products like figures, books and cards. Keep checking StarWars.com for announcements regarding future products in this area in the coming months.

I don't know... that quote kind of gives me the impression that they've already made a 'handshake deal' with somebody else! 

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

From Star Wars.com

I don't know... that quote kind of gives me the impression that they've already made a 'handshake deal' with somebody else! 

Ha I'd love to think something like that. I don't think I'm going to let myself though. I read all the doom and gloom threads and just ignored them...and look what happened.
While I'm sad to see it, I do agree they could have stayed silent until they'd gotten as much out of us as possible.  Actually, I'm rather shocked this wasn't the case.  After $E and this now, there is no longer a WotC product that I have any interest in purchasing.

Here's to hoping another company does get the licence in the future.  Hopefully it will be one that markets the game and can find a way to allow it's new product to work with this one.
That's what I am having a hard time grasping. SW is having a renaissance right now. I mean, seriously, the end of the year and early part of next have the perfect tie in opportunities.
That's what I am having a hard time grasping. SW is having a renaissance right now. I mean, seriously, the end of the year and early part of next have the perfect tie in opportunities.

When has WotC ever done anything that made good business sense?

But you make an excellent point, and self-examination of a very similar question on my part played a very large role in helping lead me to my conclusion that this is really about putting all the energy into shoring up Magic, for better or worse. I realize a lot of people right now are truly shocked by the announcement, and to be quite honest I don't understand that reaction. It's not like WotC ever really appreciated us as customers. We had to fight like a dirty dog in the street - to coin a phrase from one of my favorite sitcoms - for every scrap of love they ever showed us.

I also concur.

WOTC took my favorite pasttime (old-school AD&D) and utterly DESTROYED it.  By the time the 5th ed. came out for MTG, I didn't like that anymore either.  D20 Modern?  I tried it, loved it (as did my players) and they abandoned it.  Now SWM.  I'm starting to think WOTC is conspiring against me...

- - - - - "The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
This really really sucks.  The only thing I ask of Wizards of the Coast is before you go and get rid of the line can you give us 1 single web enhancement.  Please convert all the alien races to saga edition from your Revised Core Rules Aliens book.  So we have official stats for all the alien races.  It was the only thing saga edition is truely missing. 
I pray that the next group that picks this up at least trys to keep these figures useable. I feel really sad right now.
I was always kinda naively hoping that the silence from wizards was due to steamy negotiations over a new license, not this! *sigh* Still, I suppose it was sliding this way since they cut the sets by a third. Hm. MotF isn't something I've been looking forward to since I found out it was going to consist of the dejarik characters, and after this announcement I fear as to just how bad this final set may be. I've loved the run of swm, and think there've been some really awesome things done with it as time has gone on. Yeah, we could've done with a few less Hans, Lukes, Vaders, etc, and a few more different characters or aliens, but what's done is done.

Sithborg, you make an extremely valid point. There's the ongoing Clone Wars possibilities, then FU2 and then The Old Republic next year, that instantly spring to mind. I am really hoping by April/May time sw.com has made an announcement that there will be a continuance of the miniatures line. I also hope that LFL are considerate enough (ie canny enough) to tie it directly into the wizards product rather than have some company come in and start from scratch again. I don't think I can face having two separate collections of the miniatures game that are exclusive to each other. I mean, it hurts me to have A&E in with the rest of them, it looks that different. As the "minis I'd like to see" thread attests, there is still plenty of material out there to continue the miniatures line.

I must admit to being more shocked by the venomous reactions to this announcement, though. Maybe it's just my Britishness, but the company has made the decision it thinks is in its interests and I seriously doubt it would have been made lightly. It's been shocking that you'd give up such a ready-made fanbase, but I doubt it was made arbitrarily.

It bothers me that people are giving WOTC credit for giving us the heads up that the game is over.  There's no way they'd lose money on purpose and I suspect if they didn't make the official announcement that LFL would have. 
I pray that the next group that picks this up at least trys to keep these figures useable. I feel really sad right now.

I am really hoping by April/May time sw.com has made an announcement that there will be a continuance of the miniatures line. I also hope that LFL are considerate enough (ie canny enough) to tie it directly into the wizards product rather than have some company come in and start from scratch again. I don't think I can face having two separate collections of the miniatures game that are exclusive to each other.

Any kind of direct continuation of the SWM game under it's current rules by a different company is unlikely at best.  WotC may have decided to lose the license, but the rules of the game were developed in house (based largely on DDM) and are likely still owned by WotC, so any company seeking to continue the current game would need to not only a license from LFL, but WotC as well (and it's very unlikely WotC would license their rules for a product that could be considered a compete against DDM).

At this time the best we can probably hope for is seeing a brand new game, with brand new rules, but figs produced at the current scale.  Thus a product that is physically compatible, but not  mechanically so.  While this would still suck for the mini-gamers, it would be great for RPG players and pure collectors (2 out of 3 ain't bad).