Wizards of the Coast announcement

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you.  After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

This says it all.....

www.nooooooooooooooo.com/
Good M:TG trades with m00se, jakeh
And so ends the greatest miniatures game I have ever enjoyed. Alas...but I will keep playing with what I have - heck, I have so many minis that I've never even tried! May Masters of the Force have the very best of pieces...
dark times indeed...
Well, darn. Great game coming to an end here. At least it can last a long time without the pieces going stale.
This says it all.....

www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Best website ever. Probably slightly better than www.purple.com
This is really, REALLY disappointing news. I just got into this game a year ago and really was enjoying it. I looked forward to every Saturday too.

I seriously think WotC and/or LFL is making a HUGE mistake by dropping SWMs. I do agree that they were being responsible by telling the community early. Well, unless a wiser company picks up this license soon, I'll have to go hunting for another fun miniature game to play. It definitely won't be any of WotC's other games. They don't deserve ANY of this community's business after giving up on us.
A Hundred thousand dollars a year is a lot of money, (just guessing) and I am sure with all the cases people buy and all the singles available on the market, around the world,  there is a great deal of money involved. that as mentioned from many memebers already have said, WOTC will never see.

They better be bringing in more than 100k per year.  Just to give you an idea, if Rob had been earning lets say 45K a year the total cost of employing him would be close to 80k (when you include benefits and taxes).  100k would barely cover Rob let alone manufacturing, shipping advertising and research and design costs.  The total rev would have to be much higher, I alone spend about a 1000USD on SWM a year (not this year though, skipping dark times entirely, too much EU).

Also the SWM game is NOT coming to an end it simply will not be produced anymore.  SWM could still be played for decades to come.   
Guys, guys, let's not fly off the handle, and focus in on what's really important, here:

...will this announcement affect Starship Battles in any way? Tongue out

72ccb3a99f297b7624ecac31e26f7921.png?v=33480
Star Wars: Tapestry
 - a play-by-post campaign for everyone... good OR evil!

my wife is now giddy in the next room, I told her to remember this moment, because I certainly will be laughing it up when that abomination that is American Idol finally gets the axe.
The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. [...]

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault.

This may be an obvious answer, but does this mean the warehouses will be gutted, or the product will be pulled from shelves and put "in the vault" come August 2010?  I read it as no more product released at all from the company, but any that is out there will be sold down.  Perhaps to liquidate merchandise, we might see rock-bottom prices or promotions on past sets still in stock.  Trying to find some positive, and if true, they can continue to vacuum out my walllet for seven more months instead of three.  I don't need any old sets, but if it's on sale...

A bittersweet moment, to be sure. On the one hand, I'm disappointed that WotC has become such an abysmal failure of a company that it can't handle a license agreement with LFL, when it's parent company -Habro - has an agreement in place through 2020.

This.

Also, I understand the the economy sucks right now, but I was under the impression the SWM was one of WotC's strongest product lines, or at least I remember something like that being mentioned as a reassurance when there was concern that SWM might suffer a major redesign and target shift the way DDM did in 2009.  I certainly hope that this is a legitimate business decision and not just some ego based need to funnel all resources into MtG as has been suggested (though I do enjoy that product, even if I barely spend any money on it).

The only silver lining I can find to this cloud is that I'll have a lot more money burning a hole in my pocket, though I'll likely spend up to a year completing my collection before I need to find a new product to spend wast my money on (likely expanding my somewhat neglected DVD library).

Anyway, it's been a fun ride while it lasted and I'm greatly looking forward to the upcoming releases in these final months.
A bittersweet moment, to be sure. On the one hand, I'm disappointed that WotC has become such an abysmal failure of a company that it can't handle a license agreement with LFL, when it's parent company -Habro - has an agreement in place through 2020.

This.

Also, I understand the the economy sucks right now, but I was under the impression the SWM was one of WotC's strongest product lines, or at least I remember something like that being mentioned as a reassurance when there was concern that SWM might suffer a major redesign and target shift the way DDM did in 2009.  I certainly hope that this is a legitimate business decision and not just some ego based need to funnel all resources into MtG as has been suggested (though I do enjoy that product, even if I barely spend any money on it).

The only silver lining I can find to this cloud is that I'll have a lot more money burning a hole in my pocket, though I'll likely spend up to a year completing my collection before I need to find a new product to spend wast my money on (likely expanding my somewhat neglected DVD library).

Anyway, it's been a fun ride while it lasted and I'm greatly looking forward to the upcoming releases in these final months.

DVDs? The days of the Blu Ray have arrived!!
Well, if nothing else, we've got a few months to ponder our future's.

1. As a collector, there's time to fill in the holes

2. As a gamer, you can play as long as you have friends willing and the lack of "new mini's" doesn't bug you

3. Customizers can still go as long as new ideas pop up.

Still, I have a feeling that this is it, and no other company will pony up to enter a deal with Lucas (too much $) and companies that do mini's don't do quite the same style in terms of plastics used. It's not that easy to start up/convert and probably not worth the money needed to do a restart elsewhere. Maybe in a few years, if there's still a demand and the two sides of WOTC and Lucas can come to some middle ground.

And no ... I don't think Lucas wanted to end it so they can retake licensing to start their own line. They've always bewen content to farm out the actual lifing of anything outside of digital media they can do themselves on their lil puters.

So ... when is the next set going to be spoiled?

PS ... with the line ending, I wonder if that's why it was so easy for our rumor wonderkins to spoil so much so fast, not to mention the lack of previews ... looser security cause they don't care?

I wish someone would tell Lucas that.

I'll buy BluRay when they stop making DVDs.  Until then it's just wasted money for extra quality that is barely discernibly on anything less than a 10 foot digital screen (plus I hate the name and all the bright blue cases).  Even when the day finally comes I'll always call my videos DVDs until a format that isn't a shiny silver disk comes along.  With any luck I can skip BluRay entirely and just transition straight from DVD to what ever format is next.
Congradulations WOTC, you have offically lost a huge part of your income.

Really I doubt they have...  Gaming is a niche industry.  Miniature gaming is a niche with in a niche. 

A Hundred thousand dollars a year is a lot of money, (just guessing) and I am sure with all the cases people buy and all the singles available on the market, around the world,  there is a great deal of money involved. that as mentioned from many memebers already have said, WOTC will never see.

Man, if only they would have released less EU characters and more movie characters the money they would have rolling in instead would justify the continuation of the game even if MtG wouldn't be able to get full attention.

Or maybe it was becuase we didn't get enough Eu. We only got what ten vaders?

Frak you Motti, I really hope you're kidding.  I am totally in disagreement with you.  I for one would have bought more if there had been more EU.  There are tons of EU characters that we have never gotten and never will now.  And Admiral Palleaon is probably one of those, as well as Shimra and Darth Zannah, just to name a few.

I was just kidding, but adding a Tongue out on the end would have ruined the fun of the post. I think after putting up with you for a couple years I can have some fun Tongue out (put that one just in case, although I didn't want to)

However, Do look at how there are hardly any main characters in DT, and how many have expressed the opinion that it is less marketbale to a lot of collectors becuase of that. I'm not saying AT ALL that's why the game from Wizard's end died, but we never really will know for total sure whether people like you who would buy more when it's EU heavy outweigh  in terms of sales those who would buy less when EU-Heavy. I don't care personally. I probably want just as many movie characters as EU. I still haven't found a luke I really like. (The one with Use the Force and Flurry is pretty cool though). I hope the player's committee does a good restat of Luke, Rebel, with lots of "common" player suggestion and input, of course.
Do you want to help advance the game when Wizards pulls the plug? Go Here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22337613/Minis_YOU_want_to_see:_The_first_step - - -
Is it me or is it a bit ironic that the death of SWM (from WoTC standpoint at least) is announced on the anniversary of another space tragedy, the anniversary of the Challenger disaster?  I don't know, maybe I'm just reading too much into it.  I just happen to take it a little personally since it's also my birthday.  Why do bad things always happen on my birthday?

On a more serious note though, while I can say that I am sad at the announcement I can't say it comes as much of a surprise.  It's been obvious for some time now that the game was coming to an end.  A move to 40 piece sets, the apparent lack of reprints that were so frequent early on in the games history, and the absence in the Summer WoTC catalog.  What I don't understand is why bother going through the hoops to replace Rob and other members of the product team if you weren't planning on continuing the product.  It just seems like there's more behind that, but maybe I'm just being paranoid.

I would love for the game to be picked up by someone else ala Heroclix, but I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.  I'd like to say that LFL would be stupid to see it die, but in reality, how much of a factor was it/is it in their merchandising and marketing scheme?  I can't really seeing it be a big impact on them and I have to imagine the overhead for creation and production of new sets is pretty high.

The one shining star to come out of all of this is how well I think the SWM community is going to handle it.  Despite to frequent fights, insults, whining and general grumpiness we've seen here and elsewhere I really believe SWM has a great fan base and a great community.  So great in fact that they won't let the game die with today's announcement.  Even before the official announcement the powers that be within the community were already planning for this eventuality and putting things in place to keep the game alive.  Now not everyone might neccessarily agree with the direction things will head with a community run and supported game, but I for one would welcome the ressurection of the game by the community moving forward.  Long live SWM!!!
Oh man...its official....I wonder if some other company will pick up the license and fill our need for minis?

I can't see that happening. If say, Mattel were to decide to get into the minis game, Hasbro might call foul like they did with Lego minifigs a few years back. I think this is permanent.

Very sad indeed.

I've often thought that there were a ton of SW products--of wildly varying quality--and yet little connection between the RPG and the minis was made. There was only one set of Galaxy Tiles put out for SW and few other accessories to bring the lines together. (Starter kits don't count because those contained rules for the mini game only).

DnD saw the loss of that mini game, only to have it now turned into Heroscape. I initially thought the same would happen with Star Wars--but declining to renew the license will kill that possibility once and for all.

Yet another mismanaged license goes down in flames.

I'm sad!  This sucks!
Feels like the death of SWCCG all over again. 

Should have seen it coming when they've treated SW like a second citizen on this latest web site conversion...
Won't stop me from playing.  I hope the forums reamain active, as well as the other fan sites.  Here's to SWM! 
AMS-51 "Dendrite" Connection lost...searching...
It just occured to me that since they will lose the license in May, we probaly don't have to worry about MotF being pushed back!! If it does, we won't see it at all.
I'm glad we've gotten an honest answer from the company and they didn't try to dodge this until after MotF dropped.  One of the very few things we've seen lately to give decent customer support.

I'm pretty confident that the collapse last Nov blew up SWM and at that point in time an expensive licensed product was not going to remain in development when Magic and D&D were also really hurting.  At the moment it probably seemed like Star Wars was a bit of a drag with a huge chunk of profits being directed to Lucas.  I'm willing to bet that the success of the Clone Wars cartoon had LFL demanding more cash for the next go around as well.

Boris is right with all the ridiculous things they're trying to do to keep Magic afloat.......SWM really was the red headed step child from then on.  All they have to do is print cards as a material cost for that game; if they can't stay afloat with that then the whole company is probably toast.  No licensing fees, no plastic, just development and paper.

So unless WotC comes up with something crazy good they won't be seeing another dollar from me after MotF releases.  Sorry but Magic is strugling for a reason and I just never liked D&D.
It just occured to me that since they will lose the license in May, we probaly don't have to worry about MotF being pushed back!! If it does, we won't see it at all.

Good god you just made it worse!!!!!

Foot in mouth
Sadly they make another highly interesting game called A&A War at Sea that I am highly addicted to. When they give that game the axe, I will be done with Wotc as well. They will have nothing else that intrests me. They have ruined D&D, and Magic is not my thing.

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you.  After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

A few questions for WotC:

1. Why not just fall back to 1-3 core books and do one or two mini sets a year? Or just suspend the series for year until the economy rebounds? Why does the license need to be dropped completely?

2.  Can you address some of the overall strategy for the games? I'm curious because it seems like not enough was done to protect the lines. For example a ton of books have come out in the last two years, lots of mini sets, etc.

There didn't seem to be re-merchandising of the minis (like the D&D sets had with a visible mini and fewer random figures).

I can't help but think that cutting back and trying a few different approaches would have helped.

I really hope you can answer some of these questions.
Thanks.
Who's going to pick it up now? 
I am sad to see this happen and I hope that someone else can pick up where Wizards leaves off.

And yes, money is made on virtual cards.  The secondary market is there.  Or do the Star Wars TCG cards just magically appear?  The secondary market represents sales based on Star Wars product that Lucas can't legally get a piece of.  When he has a new game, he'll sue.

Clearly you are unaware - no money is made as no one sells any cards.  Each person can down load and print what he needs, or just play them virtually.  They are specifically designed and released without charge into the public domain.

www.skywlkr.net/idc/index.asp

I understand you have an opinion, which is fine, but you attempt to speak with authority when you don't have all the facts.

As for a new game, there is already a new SW trading card game, has been for months, and still no C&D letters or lawsuits. 

starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/tradin...

So please, do a little reading before you claim knowledge of a situation.

Photobucket
I'm still not sure how the TCG gets away with what they do, since the CCG is very limited by what they can do. Maybe it is a matter of importance, since the CCG is still considered a viable competitor in the market apparently.
We knew it was coming and it's sad. I personally think WIZOS is making a mistake. Oh well!!
I'm really sorry to see this go, but I can't help but think the license is pretty expensive. In this economy I might be the best play for WotC at this time...

Frak you Motti, I really hope you're kidding.  I am totally in disagreement with you.  I for one would have bought more if there had been more EU.  There are tons of EU characters that we have never gotten and never will now.  And Admiral Palleaon is probably one of those, as well as Shimra and Darth Zannah, just to name a few.

I was just kidding, but adding a  on the end would have ruined the fun of the post. I think after putting up with you for a couple years I can have some fun  (put that one just in case, although I didn't want to)

However, Do look at how there are hardly any main characters in DT, and how many have expressed the opinion that it is less marketbale to a lot of collectors becuase of that. I'm not saying AT ALL that's why the game from Wizard's end died, but we never really will know for total sure whether people like you who would buy more when it's EU heavy outweigh  in terms of sales those who would buy less when EU-Heavy. I don't care personally. I probably want just as many movie characters as EU. I still haven't found a luke I really like. (The one with Use the Force and Flurry is pretty cool though). I hope the player's committee does a good restat of Luke, Rebel, with lots of "common" player suggestion and input, of course.

I assumed it was sarcasam in my responce to you, hence the BSG to start it off.  But I had to be sure, and explain none the less.
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
Ditto to what a lot of you had to say.

This just can't be a surprise to anyone here. Is it??????? This is not rocket science comrades. The level of customer service from WOTC for the SWM commmunity has been subpar for quite some time now. IMO, the first sign ( or red flag, if you will ) was when they went from 60 minis to 40. Then was the dropping of league kits, promos, etc., which effectively killed the game at my LGS. My guys were pissed and all but stopped coming weekly, except for myself and a few other die hards. Then to boost morale of the remnants that remained, they eliminated the inserts. Are you freakin' kidding me???????? Now fast forward to the present; No previews of upcoming minis for DT on WOTC, to help promote the game, generate interest, and take care of the faithful SW community???????? WOW..............just ridiculously unbelievable and truly unacceptable. Lame WOTC, just flat out disrespectful and a slap to all of our faces. 
              I digress. On a positive note, SWM community, live long and prosper ( sorry, I love ST also ) WOTC you suck, but I do thank you for bringing us the best game ever. I plan on playing till the day I die, and WOTC would have to pry the last mini out of the hand of my dying body before I stop playing this game.     So please everyone, don't let WOTC win and have the last word. Our game, as it is and always will be our game, will live on forever and ever. In the end, we just grow stronger and stay together, united in our own fruits of victory, not letting our beloved game ever die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May the Force be with us always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MC
Awesome, WotC ****s it up again! Woo! Now the only money they have coming in is their CCGs and maybe 4th Edition, which is already losing its base as the days go by and, soon, we'll be seeing them drop 4E (most likely for 5E, I'd be surprised if they suck so bad they drop D&D entirely)

Wonderful. WotC, you totally fail on all accounts of running the Tabletop RPG Business. Why'd you ever bother with it? The only success you had was 3rd Edition D&D and that was because you still had most of the TSR employees working on it when it was created. Then you screwed that cash cow over for the short-lived bubble of 4E!

My suggestion for SWS...move it to Paizo Publishing please.
WotC: Thank you for making such a great game for such a long time.  There's been ups and downs, but out of it has come a great community of players who are still dedicated and chomping at the bit to play.  I know because I am one.  

As for future sets, I honestly hope another company is able to pick up the liscence and run with it, but in the mean time let's pool our resources and continue to make this the best online gaming community out there! 

Wonderful. WotC, you totally fail on all accounts of running the Tabletop RPG Business. Why'd you ever bother with it? The only success you had was 3rd Edition D&D and that was because you still had most of the TSR employees working on it when it was created. Then you screwed that cash cow over for the short-lived bubble of 4E!

My suggestion for SWS...move it to Paizo Publishing please.

short lived? O_o

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
I weep.  The game was awesome and I enjoyed it with huge enthusiasm.  However,  I really couldn't see myself collecting indefinitely.  Like a good TV show, the game quits while it's ahead.  I can't say I'll collect another version, as I invested heavily into this one.
Oh well.  Time to spread the news to my friends.

So I guess the sky WAS falling after all.
I knew it was coming; "search your feelings. You know it to be true!" The writing was totally on the wall.
Well, folks can still certainly play; there's ALL SORTS of material to draw from. But I expect the Boards will die. They thrive on growth, and on speculation. Even before Wizards lowers the curtain (in August?), I imagine the Boards will expire.
As to another company essentially restarting the game? I dunno. I have, like many of you, thousands of these goddam miniatures and Lord knows how many thousands of dollars tied up in them. Tell you what, my WIFE will be happy to hear the news!! I will have enough. Like D&D 4e, I just ain't going there.
The only way a new company could get my hard-earned cash is to do something different; first and foremost would be a melding of Wizkids pocketmodels with Axis & Allies, to create a large-scale Star Wars tactical miniatures game. That'd be new - and some more plastic crack for me to buy. But like SWM on those rotating tactical display bases or something? No thanks.
One other note: to all those declaring how stupid WotC is for doing this, or how they "F'd up," folks if it paid they'd still be doing it. Evidently it ain't paying. I have a good job and even I have way pared down my hobby purchases. It's economics. Don't blame Wizards. Hell, I can't believe the great run of stuff we got.
Now gimme G0-T0 and a kinrath!!
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." Scale video that I made with darthvaughn: " SW Minis Scale video Starship Modeler website. Jeff Russel's incredible STARSHIP DIMENSIONS website, with our favourite vehicles, vessels & critters from multiple sources, shown to scale. SQUADRON MODEL's Sci-Fi model kits section. How to make a model conversion to an Old Republic frigate.
Who's going to pick it up now? 

Unfortunatly there's little chance of anyone picking it up.  Current economic climate aside, a miniatures game is awfuly close to toys, so Hasbro might be able to put a stop to anyone putting out a new product line.  Best hope at this point is that hasbro might see some value in collectible mini-figs and put out their own product line, but the minis-game is likely dead.

IMO, the first sign ( or red flag, if you will ) was when they went from 60 minis to 40.

Why do people keep insisting that this was some apocalyptic omen.  As I recall the main reason given was to reduce bloat at the common level, and make it easier for collectors to complete a set.  Further more The change was made well over a years ago, enough sets have been released in the interim without further change that it seems unlikely it was any kind of real portent, just restructuring to make a product more viable in the current economy (which while still bad hasn't gotten that much worse than when the change was made).
Sad, but not the end of the world....

Wizards will still get some dough for the War at Sea A&A game, but the grand or so I gave them each year will happily be spent on some of the other excellent games out there. Now where did I put the list of AT-43 miniatures I wanted....
Sign In to post comments