Wizards of the Coast announcement

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you.  After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

Perhaps early sneak peeks into the new set for all of the devoted and loyal fans?????

sad to see it go-   wanted to see the AAT droid tank.

Well put Dean.

Something that stood out in the OP was this line--

"We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans."

If we have been given eight months notice before the end of the product line then I expect the forums here to be around for quite a while. 

not that theres going going to be a large number here to do any reaching out with....I'm already predicting that roughly 80 to 90 of the remaining folks will use either Gamers or bloomilk only, after MotF is relased..

I've seen it happen before,but aslong as theres a "hardcore" group who will keep the forums alive,then they should be able to stick around forever...

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
A bittersweet moment, to be sure. On the one hand, I'm disappointed that WotC has become such an abysmal failure of a company that it can't handle a license agreement with LFL, when it's parent company -Habro - has an agreement in place through 2020.

On the other hand, I'm looking forward to helping keep the game and the community going, and quite frankly, I am pleased with the fact that no more of my hard-earned money will be going to Wizards of the Coast. They have parted ways with LFL, and have bid me farewell in the process. Congratulations guys, and so long!!! 
Pleasantly pleased we were given any prior notice.  I seem to recall the SW TCG game was left hanging in limbo for ages, with no concrete "the end is here" notification.

Photobucket
I just heard so I had to pop on!!

Looks like I wont have anything to come back to when I'm sorted
Theres the thanks for all our support.

SWM FOREVER!!!
A good workman doesn’t blame his tools. Overall winner of the "Alien Scum" custom contest! Good Trades : Boss Nass;Sith_Slayer;lukey84;Biggsy;Kael_Dro nna;Reysan_Aura;Purple_Wind;The_Fringer Bad Trades 0
i still love the game and the minis, and i´ll buy the new set, too. let us hope that the license ... Cry

There have been several questions lately regarding the future of the Star Wars Miniatures and Roleplaying Game and until now I haven’t had definitive answers to give you.  After a lengthy evaluation, Wizards of the Coast has decided not to renew the Star Wars license with Lucasfilm. We’ve had a long and fantastic run, but with the economic downturn, we have made the tough decision to discontinue our Star Wars lines.

The license officially ends in May this year, with WotC product available through August. In the meantime, we have awesome new products still coming your way. This week, we released The Dark Times minis and Galaxy of Intrigue RPG. We’ll have more coming with Masters of the Force minis in April, which will have some of your most favorite characters along with rare creatures from the Dejarik Holochess game that have never appeared in our game. We’ll also release The Unknown Regions RPG in April, which includes entirely new planets and mini-adventures for each world.

We are finishing the line with a bang so look for special programs at your local game store to stock up on favorite sets before they go into the vault. We will continue to support our Star Wars forums on the Wizards Community site so you can reach out and chat with us and other fans.

While I know the news is disappointing, we wanted to make this announcement as soon as possible and thank you for being such great fans. It’s been a fantastic ride with the Star Wars community and working with Lucasfilm. We hope you enjoy the next several months of great products. You never know when we may circle back again!

Greg Yahn

Director of Marketing, Wizards of the Coast

Translation: Hi folks, the last time I spoke to you was to say hello. Today it's to say good-bye. WotC is in such poor financial shape that we can't even piggy-back the deal Hasbro made with LFL to keep our Star Wars gaming line up through 2020. So, rather than try to make a solid product you faithful customers have bought from us over the last five years, we've decided we don't really want your business or your money. But be sure to give us money through the end of spring on product that we don't have any intention of supporting. Please? You never know when we might decide to dangle a new Star Wars line carrot in front of you again!

/sarcasm

Okay seriously...  I believe it was never their intention to renew the license, and this gave them the out they needed. I mean, everyone knows that Hasbro renewed a license with LFL through 2020 and it was said at one point that the license would be extended to cover SWM/RPG if WotC wanted it to. They simply opted out, and Hasbro didn't even do anything to push the issue with their subsidiary.

Let me tell you something I have learned about business: decisions are rarely ever based on money. I have seen first-hand, some of the most profitable businesses ever to exist simply give up, and I have seen businesses that lose money every single year fight to survive and stay open against all odds, against common sense.

IMO this decision is a matter of pride, and an attempt to get a better handle on an in-house product line that really is failing. It's called Magic: The Gathering. It is taking all of WotC's strength to keep up with competitors like Yugioh, Pokemon, and a few other card games out there on the market. They've made all sorts of changes and even bent their own rules as far as possible without actually breaking them by using gimmicks and tricks to improve the bottom line on sales. And all of that has worked, but it's taking every bit of their energy and resources to do that. A licensed game is something they simply cannot afford to bother with right now, at least from their point of view. Unfortunately, as with most WotC decisions, it's short-sighted. They are eliminating revenue streams and surrendering customers. I mean, are any of us going to stay loyal to WotC and start playing something like Magic or D&D instead? I doubt very few of us will do that, and in fact once SWM/RPG has run its course, I will never give them another damn cent! Not because I'm bitter or angry about this decision - they are free to do what they want - but I have no interest in their other games, and no need to spend any more money with them. By parting ways with LFL, they are bidding me farewell, too.

Furthermore, WotC as a company is a failure. We've been over this part before. Dreamblade is the root of their downfall. I don't have time to post it all out but I am happy to discuss it with anyone face-to-face or on Skype. Beyond that, DuelMasters; Kids Next Door; Avalon Hill board line; D20 Modern; Hecatomb; NeoPets; SW TCG; GI JOE TCG, and I know there others that I can't name off the top of my head. Those are all WotC "experiments" that were failures, and so they discontinued those products. In short, they have pissed away a crapload of money and now they are suffering the result. Layoffs, unaffordable license fees, and abandonment of new game design.

This was a long time coming, and don't be fooled. The decision was made by people who don't care about you or me or how well the game is doing or how much it made. It was a decision made by people who are concerned about the health and longevity of Magic as a source of income. Period. 

That said, I'm glad they are getting out of the way. I really enjoy this game and I want to see it continue in the hands of the fans. It took me a long time to be comfortable with the idea of not having official support, but I'm here. If this had happened two years ago, my stuff would be on ebay right now.

And frankly, I'm glad I won't be giving WotC anymore of my money after April. There are a lot of other things I would rather be doing with it. Long live Star Wars Minis! It will be here long after Wizards of the Coast has faded to a distant memory. 

i will continue playing star wars saga, long after its not cool.  because thats what i do.  i am not the cool kid.  i wish i had gotten into minis long ago, then maybe i could compete when i play against my good friends.  but i enjoy the game.  the comunity will continue playing.  i know i still play lots of games that are not supported anymore.  and enjoy them.

stay cool iron lightsaber.  looking forward to your next post. 

Kudos to you WotC for making the anouncement.  Timing is everything, and I think this appraoch makes people very happy.  Not the news of course.  that's sad.

But they are great games.
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want

I would like to say thank you to Wizards of the Coast for putting out not one, but two excellent games.  My friends and I just recently got into the RPG, and we're loving it.  The Galaxy of Intrigue source book is EXCELLENT.  I know that we'll continue playing this game for quite a while.

I also want to say thank you for continuing to support these forums.  I hope that it'll still be a great place to get advice on miniatures as well as RPG rules and ideas.

I look forward to enjoying these games for a long time!  Thanks again

Join the Nightwing Fan Club http://www.nightwingfanclub.com
This is very disappointing. It's a shame WotC is losing my business now, as the Star Wars products (both RPG and minis) are the only things I care about from them. I suppose it's been a good run
Well, let's just say that this stinks.  I love the minis line and, especially, the SWSE line of products.  Sad to see them go.  At least, on the SWSE side, we've got a "complete set."

Well, good on yah, Dean, for your work keeping the competitive side of things going sans-WotC.
Patryn of Elvenshae Want a character sheet for your starship? Download! Discuss!
Looks like my Old Republic and Vong faction are never going to be playable now.

As for another company taking over SWM's, well for me to start buy from them will depend on 2 things.

1. they are able to keep the current rule system

2. they continue where WOTC left off, if they just start afresh  then i will not be buying from them.

I am very saddened by this news, but as for all the members saying that everyone will just sell there minis. Well i disagree. Most will wait to see if someone else will take over from WOTC.

I will be keeping mine even if no one takes over.

I look forward to seeing any custom sets cards come out, that Dean mentioned might happen. I hope that some of the less developed factions gain from them, if they ever come out.
It's been a wonderful ten year run, we have a handful of great books and minis, so don't be sad and keep GAMING!!
well as I've said before, I'll still enjoy this game. I plan on continuing to play as much as I can.
As others have stated, it wasn't a complete surprise and I'm glad the announcement was made.  Not happy to read it, but at least there is definitive news and other things can continue for the summer Con schedule.  I'll just enjoy looking for spoilers and sharing expectations on the next set one last time.  There are plenty of pieces I have not used yet and countless combinations to try.  The game and commnunity will continue and at least now we know what to expect.
Well total mixed emotions on this one. I suppose it had a good run of 6yr's or so. On the one hand I won't need to get annoyed about the quality of the sculpts/paint jobs WOTC have churned out. Rebel Storm was the stand out set in my opinion. Just for the fact everything felt right even Jabba and the mounted Stormie. On the bad side I won't be seeing anymore minis after that final set but in truth WOTC lost me after the 40pc sets and some of my perceived quality issues.

The golden minis moment in all this for me was the Vassal league I hosted many moons ago. Some how it all seemed more fun and innocent at that time. There was also a lot of good fun had even in losing.

I will still visit here until the end (sounds so morbid) & will probably browse Gamers going forward. The re-costing/stating does hold interest. Especially if all the sets are redone sensibly. It will be a big task though for whoever takes it on. I suppose at least if some one wants to fix something it can easily be done rather than the whining that took place on here sometimes, no to say I didn't whine a little bit myself when the notion took me. Saying this some of the wars that went on were monumental and quite amusing at times. I suppose this would be the time to say sorry if I did offend any other member.

It will be interesting to see if another company picks up the Star Wars gauntlet. LFL will always be a complete pain in the rear and a hindrance to any games company running with it. In some ways I wouldn't mind if Games Workshop picked up the license. I know they would produce extremely well sculpted minis and I could only blame myself for the paint job LOL.

Finally I am glad WOTC were up front on this. This was a grown up attitude and saved having a lot of very annoyed players down the road, not to say it hasn't annoyed some at this point but at least they have held their hands up and been honest. Maybe WOTC could release a grand 100pc set as their curtain call on the game.

P.S. I don't believe the prices will be hurt too much for those who care. I don't believe this games major consumers have been the hardcore gaming crowd but the hard core Star Wars fans/collectors. Star Wars will always continue to gain more fans and WOTC will not be producing more minis and for that reason supply and demand will kick in over time. Especially for minis still bagged.

EDIT - Almost forgot! A big thank you to all those who put extra effort in supporting this community, you know who you are and thats all that matters.
Congradulations WOTC, you have offically lost a huge part of your income.  Of course you have tried to get this for a while, after all DCI has never liked us, no wonder Sarah left, she saw this coming.  Thanks for tanking the game on purpose,  us fan's will take it from here. Some other company will see it, buy the license and make the money you could be...
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
What an incredible disappointment only days after getting a great set like Dark Times. Made me think the game was headed in a really promising direction. Welp, no more Star Wars means Wizards will never see another dollar from me after Masters of the Force and Unknown Regions. Goes without saying that I'm really pulling for some other company to pick up the slack, seeing as SWM has been my primary money sinkhole/hobby for the past three years.

Also gonna echo the above sentiments about certain factions never reaching the same level as the big boys, unless MotF has some AMAZING pieces for the OR/Vong, which I'm not too optimistic about. Well, I guess there are always custom pieces!

It was a good run and a great ~6 years, all. I really hope some other company sees how much potential money there is in continuing the game and goes for it. Until then, I'll keep buying the odd booster and plopping down bids for extra chase pieces, especially if anybody actually starts dumping their collections. Their loss, my gain
Man, if only they would have released less EU characters and more movie characters the money they would have rolling in instead would justify the continuation of the game even if MtG wouldn't be able to get full attention.
Do you want to help advance the game when Wizards pulls the plug? Go Here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22337613/Minis_YOU_want_to_see:_The_first_step - - -
My feelings are mixed.  While i appreciate the word(it saved me from spending any more money), how dumb is it to announce the death of a game with two sets coming?  They just cut their product buying by 50-60% or more!  Then again this is the lame ass company that mis-managed dreamblade so badly.  Congrats Wizards.  Im done with you.
I think we need to pass about a few Chill Pill for posters, maybe give 'em to them as freebies even...
So first they kill D&D minis for me.  Then they kill my D&D.  Now it's Star Wars minis AND the RPG!

Well guess what Wizards, that means none of my gaming money will be heading in your direction in the future.  Oh, I'll keep on spending, but you will soon not publish anything that I want. 

VERY DISSAPPOINTED! 
Well at least we got a pretty complete system out of SAGA edition I think, it covers a hell of a lot of material.

I doubt any other company will pick up the Star Wars license if WOTC is passing on it.  The license must be pretty expensive.... I wonder if LFL was attempting to charge alot more for the renewal.
If this game was making WotC a lot of money, they would continue producing it.  If you claim that dropping the game was for any other reason you are fooling yourself.

Producing "Player Committee Style" sets of virtual cards will more than likely result in the same way it did for the Decipher Virtual Sets: threat of a lawsuit.

George Lucas will not allow something he is not getting money from to use Star Wars to promote itself.  SWM has a huge secondary market, and that is revenue he will not get.  That's what happened to the Virtual Card sets, and that's what will happen here.  After Decipher lost their license, they still outsold the WotC Star Wars CCG by a huge margin.  At first everyone was cool with the Virtual sets, but when it became clear that WotC couldn't create a Star Wars CCG that was viable, they threatened to sue.

I'm not sure how viable the RPG will be as a licensed property in the future.  WEG had a great game with tons of support and they lost their shirts.  WotC took over at the height of the resurgence of Star Wars popularity and they aren't making enough money to keep things going.  I would love to see a new RPG, or someone taking Saga (though that will NEVER happen).  Saga is a D20 product through and through.  WotC will never agree to have that be in the hands of another company.

As far as SWM goes, it is my hope that another company, perhaps the ones that are working with HeroClix, picks up SWM and continues producing the game.  I'm not holding my breath, though.  Lucas wanted all his gaming through one company, and now the Minis and RPG are going the way of the CCG.

In the end, though, maybe it is best to just let these things die down.  Star Wars experienced a 20 year dormancy in which only the WEG RPG and a few novels and PC games existed.  That dormancy exploded in the late 1990's and is winding down in 2010.

Congradulations WOTC, you have offically lost a huge part of your income.

Really I doubt they have...  Gaming is a niche industry.  Miniature gaming is a niche with in a niche. 

When I bought my first pack of SWM I never thought I would own thousands more and that ultimately there would be 900 to choose from.  The game has far surpassed my expectations as far as longevity and breadth of minis available.  WotC deserve some credit in this regard.  How many CCGs or CMG have managed to last this long.

That having been said SWM could be headed for a golden age.  Invariably there will be a smaller (but loyal) group of players who will sustain and probably improve the game.  Hopefully we will see more maps available, fixes and restating of minis, simplification and improvements to the rules.

If this game was making WotC a lot of money, they would continue producing it.  If you claim that dropping the game was for any other reason you are fooling yourself.

Producing "Player Committee Style" sets of virtual cards will more than likely result in the same way it did for the Decipher Virtual Sets: threat of a lawsuit.

George Lucas will not allow something he is not getting money from to use Star Wars to promote itself.  SWM has a huge secondary market, and that is revenue he will not get.  That's what happened to the Virtual Card sets, and that's what will happen here.  After Decipher lost their license, they still outsold the WotC Star Wars CCG by a huge margin.  At first everyone was cool with the Virtual sets, but when it became clear that WotC couldn't create a Star Wars CCG that was viable, they threatened to sue.

I'm not sure how viable the RPG will be as a licensed property in the future.  WEG had a great game with tons of support and they lost their shirts.  WotC took over at the height of the resurgence of Star Wars popularity and they aren't making enough money to keep things going.  I would love to see a new RPG, or someone taking Saga (though that will NEVER happen).  Saga is a D20 product through and through.  WotC will never agree to have that be in the hands of another company.

As far as SWM goes, it is my hope that another company, perhaps the ones that are working with HeroClix, picks up SWM and continues producing the game.  I'm not holding my breath, though.  Lucas wanted all his gaming through one company, and now the Minis and RPG are going the way of the CCG.

In the end, though, maybe it is best to just let these things die down.  Star Wars experienced a 20 year dormancy in which only the WEG RPG and a few novels and PC games existed.  That dormancy exploded in the late 1990's and is winding down in 2010.

The sales of the product I think were more than good enough, both the rpg and the minis were always high sellers on the ICV2 charts and product was around for quite some time.  I would imagine this is purely the fault of LFL who no doubt charge alot for the license of such a popular franchise.  We've seen many license game products in the past end because companies could not afford to keep renewing the license. 

I don't see how any game company will be able to produce any star wars gaming products if WOTC deems it not worth it.  Even the other "big" rpg and game companies on the market don't hold a candle to Wizards.

Only thing I could see perhaps is that someone tries to pick up individual licensing for something like a new Star Wars miniature game or something along those lines in more limited capacity.

George Lucas will not allow something he is not getting money from to use Star Wars to promote itself. 

The IDC has produced 6 sets of the SW TCG - no lawsuits, no threats. 
Photobucket

That's because it's for a product that has it's base sales in WotC's product.  When WotC no longer has the license and Lucas finds someone else to hawk his license, C&D letters will be sent.
Man, if only they would have released less EU characters and more movie characters the money they would have rolling in instead would justify the continuation of the game even if MtG wouldn't be able to get full attention.

Or maybe it was becuase we didn't get enough Eu. We only got what ten vaders?

Quotes: "A Commander who would send untested troops against a man such as Kano is indeed foolish--But to also defy me, he'd have to have a Death Wish!" -Carnor Jax to General Wessel "Yub,yub Commander" -Wes Janson after pulling yet another ridiculous Ewok prank on Wedge Antilles "Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!", -Admiral Ackbar, CEO of Admiral Ackbar's cereal and fishsticks And some movie quotes! "Half of everything is luck James." "And the other half?" "Fate" -Sean Bean to Pierce Brosnan in Goldeneye "Did you bring a horse for me?" (three gunslingers laugh) "Well it seems we're one horse short." "No. you brought two horses too many." -Charles Bronson in Once Upon A Time in The West

The sales of the product I think were more than good enough, both the rpg and the minis were always high sellers on the ICV2 charts and product was around for quite some time. 

Sales really aren't a measure of success in this regards.  GM was the top car maker in sales right up until 2008 I do believe.  That didn't mean they were profitable. 

but regardless of that...

George Lucas will not allow something he is not getting money from to use Star Wars to promote itself. 

Yeah, a lawsuit would require money going one way or another. With virtual sets, no money is made. With no company holding a license to officially produce the game, no one is losing money because of this.
Quote from Emporerdragon: And I'd consider comparing it to the voxyn a poor comparison. The voxyn was a 1-beast army capable of reducing entire squads to ruin without breaking a single drop of acidic sweat. The box is a ****ing box. Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre. Everyone else has a lightsaber, but i made a saberstaff. ==========================>IIIIIIIIYYYYIIIIIIII(========================== My sig was way better before the dark times... before the BETA.

Yeah, a lawsuit would require money going one way or another. With virtual sets, no money is made. With no company holding a license to officially produce the game, no one is losing money because of this.

Except that is EXACTLY what happened to the Decipher Game.  Their virtual sets weren't being sold either.  Strange how they were threatened with C&D letters, huh?  When Lucas has a new company trying to sell yet another Star Wars CCG this will happen again. 

Please also note that I predicated this on the idea that another company would be producing Minis or Cards.  Lucas probably won't do anything until that happens.

And yes, money is made on virtual cards.  The secondary market is there.  Or do the Star Wars TCG cards just magically appear?  The secondary market represents sales based on Star Wars product that Lucas can't legally get a piece of.  When he has a new game, he'll sue.
I think this will be the last version of the Star Wars RPG that I invest in. I've collected 2 versions of West End Games and all 3 of WOTCs. This was probably the best version out yet and I've got enough to play with now. To bad we'll never see the Scout book, but between this and everything else I'm good. I will pick up the final 2 books to have a complete set. To bad WOTC this was a better game then 4th Edition.

You are aware that the Star Wars CCG Players Commitee is well on it's way to release it's 20th V-set. They have a close relationship with Decipher, along with continual talks with LFL itself on what it can and cannot do. I am not sure if the IDC has official communications or not, but I do know that the SWCCG PC is fairly legitimate, and works well within the boundries of the limits imposed by LFL and Decipher. This relationship has caused them from releasing fairly bootleg looking slips that just changed text. Now, they can change names within certain limits (must be named on a Decipher card somewhere or generic sounding) and use their own images. Hell, Decipher essentially let them use thier Graphic Design templates now.

SWCCG is honestly going through a rough patch right now, but just last year, in the middle of January, had a big tournament that had to be cut off at 64 players that filled up. If you doubt our playerbase is not as devoted, than you have another thing coming.

Except that is EXACTLY what happened to the Decipher Game.  Their virtual sets weren't being sold either.  Strange how they were threatened with C&D letters, huh?  When Lucas has a new company trying to sell yet another Star Wars CCG this will happen again. 

Please also note that I predicated this on the idea that another company would be producing Minis or Cards.  Lucas probably won't do anything until that happens.

And yes, money is made on virtual cards.  The secondary market is there.  Or do the Star Wars TCG cards just magically appear?  The secondary market represents sales based on Star Wars product that Lucas can't legally get a piece of.  When he has a new game, he'll sue.

Again, no. Yes, the Players Committee exists on both Decipher's and LFL's whim, but I have never heard of them getting a C&D to shut down, as they are still going. They have been told they can't do some things, yes. I can think of one that they were told no to after they had an image release.
Well, I'm glad the news has been made official. It now ceases all of the "speculation" and the divisiveness that came with it. I do thank wotc for coming clean, if you will, before the last set and RPG book comes out. It has been a good and fun run.

I for one will be keeping the majority of my minis, if for no other reason than to play scenarios and fun squads. I still have my dream of making 3D terrain (will continue the dream when our new house gets built...) and playing some awesome battles on it. Wotc has put out a good selection of minis, although not as great as some (including myself) may want. The game will live on, long after the dollars have stopped flowing to wotc and China. My savings account will be ever so grateful that wotc stopped production. Unfortunately for my savings, LEGO still produces Star Wars sets...
Here is a link to the Orphans list I maintain: http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm Life-sized Tile Wars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAXn5ZwopPc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64M5_J1JHs Geoncon08: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srArBLLHYBQ
Well I hope we at least get a decent Darth Maul before we go...haha.

C'mon Sharad Hett! C'mon shockboxer!

Author of the Merkabah Rider series, compiler of Prof. Abraham Van Helsing's journals, Mythos writer, and occasional Star Wars contributor. http://www.emerdelac.wordpress.com 

Congradulations WOTC, you have offically lost a huge part of your income.

Really I doubt they have...  Gaming is a niche industry.  Miniature gaming is a niche with in a niche. 

A Hundred thousand dollars a year is a lot of money, (just guessing) and I am sure with all the cases people buy and all the singles available on the market, around the world,  there is a great deal of money involved. that as mentioned from many memebers already have said, WOTC will never see.

Or maybe it was becuase we didn't get enough Eu. We only got what ten vaders?

Frak you Motti, I really hope you're kidding.  I am totally in disagreement with you.  I for one would have bought more if there had been more EU.  There are tons of EU characters that we have never gotten and never will now.  And Admiral Palleaon is probably one of those, as well as Shimra and Darth Zannah, just to name a few.
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
Sign In to post comments