Excerpts - Martial Power 2: Fighter

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, an official thread on this excerpt has yet to be made, so here's me making a thread. Feel free to move this post into the official thread.

Excerpts - Martial Power 2: Fighter

excerpts_20100118.jpg

-----------

Once I realised we weren't getting a build, I quickly turned to see what will be in the book and how much each class will get. I was curious to see if WotC had enough to flesh out yet another Martial Power book despite the fact we haven't received any new classes. I saw that not only is there only build for Fighter, but it has less than a hundred powers.

My initial reaction was "waitaminute! That's less than in the first Martial Power." However in the first Martial Power, Ranger only has 1 build and while Rogue has two builds, it only has 1 extra class feature. Then looking at the other classes for the power books, while in Martial Power the Ranger had the least powers at 101 with Rogue having the most at 115, it was an anomaly. All of the other power books top out at around 96 powers for a single class. And so I looked to find the difference and we have familiars, rituals, backgrounds, items, fluff and domains.

Looking at the excerpt schedule in MP2 we'll be getting "Martial Rituals" with "Martial Practices" and also be getting combat styles.

To a degree I'm curious about the combat styles. Already we've got many of them from Dragon such as Cruel Cut Style, so I expect we'll be getting a lot of reprinted material with essentially every single one of those reprinted (hooray for paying for the same material multiple times! You rock WotC). But at the moment they're simply a feat you pick and ignore for the rest of it. We should be getting some fluff to reinforce different "styles", but the system will also be getting added to with the demarcation of there being two different types of feats associated with the single style.

As for the Fighter build, I'm glad to see he's got a hand free. That should allow some flexibility between getting a +1 to attack or getting to use your brawler feature. I'm curious to see the ability to swap out Combat Superiority for Combat Agility. From what I've seen Combat Superiority is a rather popular fighter feature. I hope they don't power creep the fighter too much with Combat Agility.
About Combat Agility, I already theorized it could just be a Dex-based Combat Superiority, given that we had this "Agile Superiority" feat that does that, but it would be really underwhelming.

So I guess it's different, more like "do something on OAs", which could involve some shifting and sliding or some defensive boost or who knows what. However, it most probably has to do with OAs, or the Fighter choosing it would be much less capable in that field than one with Combat Superiority.

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

Well, an official thread on this excerpt has yet to be made, so here's me making a thread. Feel free to move this post into the official thread.

Its 'official' now! I've just linked to this thead from the Announcements forum.
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

That encounter utility is pretty sweet! Drag a dude around and just knock him flat on his back!

Are grabs limited by size because I could see the Brawler build diminishing in utility later on when you fight larger foes.

I hope we get some powers with race specific riders. There was one or two in the first Martial powers for Dwarves for exemple and I think it would be pretty nifty to add a few like that.

58292718 wrote:
I love Horseshoecrabfolk. What I love most about them is that they seem to be the one thing that we all can agree on.
See for yourself, click here!
Are grabs limited by size because I could see the Brawler build diminishing in utility later on when you fight larger foes.

Yes, you can't grab anything more than one size bigger than yourself.  However, the brawler build feature might compensate, perhaps increasing the differential to two sizes at paragon and three sizes at epic (imagine WRESTLING the tarasque into submission, now that's EPIC).
[...] However, the brawler build feature might compensate, perhaps increasing the differential to two sizes at paragon and three sizes at epic (imagine WRESTLING the tarasque into submission, now that's EPIC).

Aw yeah. 

Is there anything currently clarified about grabbing swarms? (I can't find anything.) That would be fun at epic, too.
D&DNext: HTFU Edition
Is there anything currently clarified about grabbing swarms? (I can't find anything.) That would be fun at epic, too.

Despite logic dictating that there should be, I can find no rule prohibiting a swarm from being grabbed, though as DM I'd likely still disallow such an action (though maybe at epic level).

On second thought I could maybe see it working if flavored right, while actually keeping hold of enough creatures to hinder a swarm would be unlikely, it might be possible to instead disrupt the flow and rhythm of the swam.  Instead of grappling think of it more like wide arks meant scatter the swarm.  It's probably still a visual stretch, but it might work.
To a degree I'm curious about the combat styles. Already we've got many of them from Dragon such as Cruel Cut Style, so I expect we'll be getting a lot of reprinted material with essentially every single one of those reprinted (hooray for paying for the same material multiple times! You rock WotC). But at the moment they're simply a feat you pick and ignore for the rest of it. We should be getting some fluff to reinforce different "styles", but the system will also be getting added to with the demarcation of there being two different types of feats associated with the single style.

Combat styles were actually previewed a while back in an Ampersand article. They're actually fairly similar to Divine domains.

Styles are going to consist of two feats. The first gives a minor bonus along with modifying an At-Will. The second feat modifies encounter powers: what encounter powers are modified is specific to the feat.

The whole idea sounds pretty awesome to me, since it speaks to unified fighting schools with specific exploits that they teach. 

Yes, you can't grab anything more than one size bigger than yourself.  However, the brawler build feature might compensate, perhaps increasing the differential to two sizes at paragon and three sizes at epic (imagine WRESTLING the tarasque into submission, now that's EPIC).

Theres like a belt or something that allows you to do that.
This new Brawler build gives a nice outlet for Versatile weapon. There hasn't been a class so far that could do something with a Versatile weapon that they wouldn't be able to do with Sword N Board or a two-hander.

The Brawler could make good use of Versatile weapons to keep a hand open and get the damage bonus when doing attacks that didn't include grabs.
58292718 wrote:
I love Horseshoecrabfolk. What I love most about them is that they seem to be the one thing that we all can agree on.
See for yourself, click here!