The new 4-LOM: Should I even Bother?

Well, for 2 more points, I gain 20 HP, +2 Defense, +1 Attack, Stun Gas, and lose Paralysis. This article below states that Stun Gas is a boosted Paralysis. I doubt it. For Stun Gas to even be used you have to be adjacent. Everything else about all versions (including this one) of 4-LOM screams at me to sit in the back and snipe. Even without my aversion to having lommie up front, I would still think Paralysis better. You can do it from across the map, and do damage while it happens. I don;t think the +20 hp and +2 defense make up for the fact that I have to have him base the enemy for him to have any good reason to be used over  lommie BH.  

www.the-holocron.com/index.php?option=co...
Do you want to help advance the game when Wizards pulls the plug? Go Here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22337613/Minis_YOU_want_to_see:_The_first_step - - -
I like him a lot.  The added hps is totally worth it.  Play him with Whorm or GGDAC and you will see a significant difference.  28d in cover, vs 26 is quite a lot.  I've used him several times already and have yet to use the Gas.  But the added hps, d and a make a big difference.
i agree. i like 4-lom bounty hunter more than this one so far. he is a good pair with a GGDAC and IG88 bounty hunter. 4lom can paralyse someone and then ig can use opportunist on them.
I like him a lot.  The added hps is totally worth it.  Play him with Whorm or GGDAC and you will see a significant difference.  28d in cover, vs 26 is quite a lot.  I've used him several times already and have yet to use the Gas.  But the added hps, d and a make a big difference.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather stick with 2 IG-86s.  I just don't think Unique droids stack up well against the non-Uniques in this game.

I don't know, if the gas is never used, then wouldn't it be better in most circumstances to have paralysis over the stat bonuses? I guess it depends on what your opponent's giving you to hit; if a GMA shooter is gonna stick 4 on lommie after 4Lom takes out a uggo, that defense is nice, but I think if I will be going against figs with 40+ HP BH would be better.
Do you want to help advance the game when Wizards pulls the plug? Go Here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22337613/Minis_YOU_want_to_see:_The_first_step - - -

I don't know, if the gas is never used, then wouldn't it be better in most circumstances to have paralysis over the stat bonuses? I guess it depends on what your opponent's giving you to hit; if a GMA shooter is gonna stick 4 on lommie after 4Lom takes out a uggo, that defense is nice, but I think if I will be going against figs with 40+ HP BH would be better.

I found the added hps mattered a lot, and the added defense was nice as well.  I never needed paralysis since I usually combine opp figures (IG-88) with figures that my opponent wants to activate against (in this case Zuckuss).  Paralysis never came into play, simply because my opponent if they won init, always had to move their best figure (or get it stuck by twin zuck), which granted me the opp anyways.

I found the added hps mattered a lot, and the added defense was nice as well.  I never needed paralysis since I usually combine opp figures (IG-88) with figures that my opponent wants to activate against (in this case Zuckuss).  Paralysis never came into play, simply because my opponent if they won init, always had to move their best figure (or get it stuck by twin zuck), which granted me the opp anyways.

I don;t think it's all about setting up the opportunist; I like the idea of activating the fig so it can do nothing.

Except without accurate aren't you just scrub killing so the paralysis doesn't matter if your shot kills them?
Except without accurate aren't you just scrub killing so the paralysis doesn't matter if your shot kills them?

Yeah, that's basically what I was saying in post 5, but, there's always a limited number of scrubs. IDK, it would really depend on the squad, but unless I am going against GMA shooter, it would seem BH is better to me.
can't say I have played BH one that much but I can say that I use regular stormies over Raxu Prime troopers because they have +1 D and I think that is more valuable than the +1 Attack that the Raxus Primes have so I can certainly see where 4-Loms +2 D would make me choose him over BH but beyond that I haven't really thought about it much.
For 20 pts, the +20 HP, +2 Def, and +1 Atk is pretty big. It is sort of like Bossk, there are still reasons to use the old one. BH has a neat trick with Paralysis, wherease DM is just more solid stat wise. There are benefits from both.

And the 86 is a bit of a tiresome comparison. Yes they are good, but this 4-lom can provide a roll they do not. Namely: not getting one shot KO (technically 2, fine) by either an ERC or a Twinning Jawa. Heck, 4-LOM can survive a round of a Madined up ERC.

Honestly, it comes down to the squad and playstyle. Sure, many feel that the damage output of 2 86's is the bar that all must be compared to, fine. But 4-LOM and the new Iggy both are good options, especially outside of Seperatists builds, or Sep builds that do not want to spend the extra 9-25 pts to boost non-uniques.
For 20 pts, the +20 HP, +2 Def, and +1 Atk is pretty big. It is sort of like Bossk, there are still reasons to use the old one. BH has a neat trick with Paralysis, wherease DM is just more solid stat wise. There are benefits from both.

And the 86 is a bit of a tiresome comparison. Yes they are good, but this 4-lom can provide a roll they do not. Namely: not getting one shot KO (technically 2, fine) by either an ERC or a Twinning Jawa. Heck, 4-LOM can survive a round of a Madined up ERC.

Honestly, it comes down to the squad and playstyle. Sure, many feel that the damage output of 2 86's is the bar that all must be compared to, fine. But 4-LOM and the new Iggy both are good options, especially outside of Seperatists builds, or Sep builds that do not want to spend the extra 9-25 pts to boost non-uniques.

It may be a tiresome comparison, but that's what the Unique droids are up against.  I honestly wish the Unique droids had the better end of it.  I HATE seeing my favorite BHs playing second banana (damage potential-wise) to a non-Unique like the IG-86.  But that's the route Rob took with droids.  He kind of backed himself into a corner by buffing the non-unique droids so much.  I hoping we get a Unique Droid booster in a future set.  I think they deserve it. 

On a related note, I wouldn't mind seeing a small tweak to the rules.  Perhaps allow Unique Droids to be affected by CEs?  That would seem fair to me, considering how many things they miss out on now because they are Droid and Unique.

It is just damage potential you look at, then that's fine. But, both 4-LOM and Iggy have better Def, better HP, and can get better attack by themselves. And the fact that 4-LOM isn't dependant on Opportunist for 30 dam is fine. If you aren't playing Seps, there are better options than an 86 anyway. And that they will be less likely to be killed in one turn by a Jawa or ERC is pretty big too.

Damage output is not always the end all of a fig.
Stun Gas strikes me as being more of a defensive ability. I don't think I would plan a squad with last ditch defense against being based in mind. Perhaps if it caused characters within 2 squares to be activated, or if there was no save 11 role then it would seem more useful to me. Actually I like the idea of moving him adjacent to their beatstick for instant activation, that would definately shake the game up a bit. If only.
Stun Gas strikes me as being more of a defensive ability. I don't think I would plan a squad with last ditch defense against being based in mind. Perhaps if it caused characters within 2 squares to be activated, or if there was no save 11 role then it would seem more useful to me. Actually I like the idea of moving him adjacent to their beatstick for instant activation, that would definately shake the game up a bit. If only.

I just realized that Chewie's breath mask works against a dart but not Stun Gas. Not a big deal, but kind of funny.

I'll say this:  That sculpt is awesome!
AMS-51 "Dendrite" Connection lost...searching...

I just realized that Chewie's breath mask works against a dart but not Stun Gas. Not a big deal, but kind of funny.

That is indeed funny. Maybe an additon to the rules/errata or whatever will appear after a bit.
I'll say this:  That sculpt is awesome!

By the way, it looks EXTREMELY familiar, Dengar BH maybe, or might I be thinking of something else?

It is just damage potential you look at, then that's fine. But, both 4-LOM and Iggy have better Def, better HP, and can get better attack by themselves. And the fact that 4-LOM isn't dependant on Opportunist for 30 dam is fine. If you aren't playing Seps, there are better options than an 86 anyway. And that they will be less likely to be killed in one turn by a Jawa or ERC is pretty big too.

But that's just it.  This game revolves around damage potential.  High HPs will only go so far.

But that's just it.  This game revolves around damage potential.  High HPs will only go so far.

Well that's just not true.  It revolves around damage output, not potencial, and damage mitigation.  Both are equally important.  Hps go a long ways in this game.  When you combine the two, you get a greater damage "potencial" as well, because your figures can stay around longer.

Simple math here.

2 full rounds from 2 IGs (that's usually the best case scenario in a well played game).  That's an output of 120dmg.  Then one is down.  2 more rounds at 60, which equals 180dmg from 36pts.

If Ig-88 lasts the same 4 rounds, which his higher defense will alow, he gets a potencial 240dmg.  Let's assume he has to move in 2 rounds, and doesn't in the other two, well that's still 180dmg.  Not to mention you also gain the pulse cannon, which is huge in some games, and Ig is in fact the better buy, even if he survives only as long as the two 86s.  By the stats alone, he should survive one more round than the two 86s, so his output is over the top. 

Out of the two, I think Bounty Hunter 4-LOM is better, simply because you don't have to go out of your way to use his special ability and partners pretty well with Zuckuss, much better then his current version. Plus it allows him to use his attacks. So while IG-86 wins in damage output, this guy also has the potenical to stun a high value target which reduces their damage potencial. Not quite as good as Zuckuss snare, but slightly more damage output. Easpically with twin.

Just depends whether you want to use that stun gas really, I personally don't. So if I am running someone with Zuck, it will probably be the bounty hunter version. Or Dash/Rex for uber damage. XD
Out of the two, I think Bounty Hunter 4-LOM is better, simply because you don't have to go out of your way to use his special ability and partners pretty well with Zuckuss, much better then his current version. Plus it allows him to use his attacks. So while IG-86 wins in damage output, this guy also has the potenical to stun a high value target which reduces their damage potencial. Not quite as good as Zuckuss snare, but slightly more damage output. Easpically with twin.

Just depends whether you want to use that stun gas really, I personally don't. So if I am running someone with Zuck, it will probably be the bounty hunter version. Or Dash/Rex for uber damage. XD

For the 4-LOMs, it is more a question if you want the better stats vs Paralysis. That 20 Def is very sexy.

For the 4-LOMs, it is more a question if you want the better stats vs Paralysis. That 20 Def is very sexy.

Aye, I know that all too well. *Sighs.* I don't have hand on experience with either, but either way I would definately not mind a 4-LOM from DT, as I have naither. XD

Though, that being said, if things were my way, they would probably be more conserned about durge/boba merc taking pops at their pinned charcters then anything else. Makes 4-LOM and Juck look like ants in comperson to the damage dealing tank. XD

Well that's just not true.  It revolves around damage output, not potencial, and damage mitigation.  Both are equally important.  Hps go a long ways in this game.  When you combine the two, you get a greater damage "potencial" as well, because your figures can stay around longer.

Simple math here.

2 full rounds from 2 IGs (that's usually the best case scenario in a well played game).  That's an output of 120dmg.  Then one is down.  2 more rounds at 60, which equals 180dmg from 36pts.

If Ig-88 lasts the same 4 rounds, which his higher defense will alow, he gets a potencial 240dmg.  Let's assume he has to move in 2 rounds, and doesn't in the other two, well that's still 180dmg.  Not to mention you also gain the pulse cannon, which is huge in some games, and Ig is in fact the better buy, even if he survives only as long as the two 86s.  By the stats alone, he should survive one more round than the two 86s, so his output is over the top. 

We both know HPs aren't what they used to be.  Back in the day of RS, 100 HPs went a long way.  In today's game?  Not so much.  I just don't buy IG-88 being better than the IG-86s.  That Pulse Cannon is fun, but that's only 10 guaranteed damage. 

Honest question for you: In a tournament or competitive setting, would you take IG-88, AD over two IG-86s?  Since you are one of the top players, I'm genuinely curious.  I respect what you have to say.
Honest question for you: In a tournament or competitive setting, would you take IG-88, AD over two IG-86s?  Since you are one of the top players, I'm genuinely curious.  I respect what you have to say.

Sure I would.  It just depends on the build.  They do two different rolls in two very different squad types.  For my new Whorm squads, 88 is preferred.  The auto 10 and possible 40 is great against super evade teams (which you have to build for to some degree, or at least consider).  The added attack, hps, and damage allow me not to spend points on any droid support beyond whorm, which is a savings of 9-29pts depending. 

In a GGDAC squad, I generally will go with 2 86s, but there are GGDACs where I would consider 88.  Further, there are whorm squads where I simply want one cheap back up shooter, so an 86 would get the nod.  But I have no problem taking an 88 to a tournament.

And it isn't just hps, it's the hps, defense, and attack score, plus pulse cannon.  Let's not forget that.  24d in cover, 28 with GGDAC, makes it that much harder for any of the GMA double twinners to hit.  Dash needs 14-18s with Opp in play, Rex needs 12-16, and even the almight Cad Bane needs 8-12.

These decisions for me are never about direct comparisons.  It all depends on what else is in the squad.  Pulse Cannon happens to be a big ability right now, and it compliments what I am doing with the other BHs and Whorm nicely.  It also ends up being cheaper than a BDO and two 86s.  Zuckuss helps pull off the double twins, and the 88 is better shooting at uniques than the 86s, which comes up huge when you have to shoot without opportunist.  So really, it's about squad synergy, rather than direct comparisons of stats line by line.
So really, it's about squad synergy, rather than direct comparisons of stats line by line.

And that is really the key in a lot of these debates. Direct comparisons can only go so far. There are reasons to take things far beyond simple stat lines and damage output.
So really, it's about squad synergy, rather than direct comparisons of stats line by line.

And that is really the key in a lot of these debates. Direct comparisons can only go so far. There are reasons to take things far beyond simple stat lines and damage output.

Yeah, I'll admit I sometimes lose track of this.  I tend to focus on damage output over other aspects a mini might offer.  I'm too used to minis like Dash RS or Rex. 

I don't think any of the figures mentioned are inherently significantly better than any of the other ones mentioned, honestly.  I think this discussion is really just splitting hairs.  Any fig could be right in the right squad.  But what I will add here is that the PLAYER counts just as much as the squad.  I'm willing to bet that Bill can probably do things with this new 4-Lom that other players can't.  I think that is an inherent danger that is developing with advice with this game and I think its something that the top players need to be aware of when discussing this with other players.  I mean this generally, not just based on Bill's comments.  I'm not prepared to say that the new 4-LOM is better than the old one because I feel the only way it CAN be better is in the hands of a better player.  I don't think there is anything inherently superior about the modest defense and HP boosts that makes it the "clear" choice over the old one.  Certainly bigger defense and HP matter, but it doesn't change HOW this figure is executed by the inexperienced or average player very much.  Player skill is what is elevating it.  So, new players, while I'm sure that Bill can and will make the new 4-LOM better than the old one in his games, that doesn't mean that you are going to be able to plop it into a squad and do better with him.  Just like you can't plop two IG-86s in a droid squad and expect to do well.  I eat IG-86s played by inexperienced players for breakfast. ;)

I eat IG-86s played by inexperienced players for breakfast. ;)

I think this is probably the best sentence I have read this month.
The stat bonus is indeed nice, and without it I'm sure this new 4-Lom would be really bland.  As for the stun gas effect vs paralysis:

Paralysis Pros:

- Works at range
- Effect is combined with potential damage

Paralysis Cons:

- Limited to single target
- Conditional on the attack hitting

Stun Gas Pros:

- Can potentially effect multiple targets
- Effect additionally prevents AOO's
- Save not conditional on prior effects (ie successful attacks)

Stun Gas Cons:

- Target(s) must be adjacent
- Effect replaces attacks therefore not damaging your target(s)
- Successful saves will leave 4-Lom adjacent to unactivated enemies capable of normal attacks and AOO

I dunno, because you can realistically encounter many different forms of opposition, both effects can be of use in one way or another.  For now, I think I will stick with the bounty hunter 4-Lom as ranged paralysis is just too sweet to give up. 

The stun gas 4-Lom (IMO) would have been much better if the save was 16 instead of 11.  That would give your opponent something to be wary of if he got too close.

The fig would make more sense if the Save was 16.  Lord forbid we actually make bounty hunter pieces effective.  There was an error in reporting on Zuckuss.  Maybe we'll be so lucky to have an error on 4LOM as well.  LOL
The fig would make more sense if the Save was 16.  Lord forbid we actually make bounty hunter pieces effective.  There was an error in reporting on Zuckuss.

There was?  What?  The bounty hunter thing or something new?

Maybe we'll be so lucky to have an error on 4LOM as well.  LOL

But we've seen the card
AMS-51 "Dendrite" Connection lost...searching...
Yeah, both errors in the spoilers for Zuckuss and Dengar were cleared up when the card was revealed. I don't see an errata coming.

That said, it isn't Stun Gas vs Paralysis when comparing the two. It is Stun Gas, +20 HP, +2 Def (hmm, 20 def), and +1 Atk vs Paralysis. It isn't a completely clear cut case. A lot of people will use the old one for Paralysis, which is fine, and many will use the new one MAINLY for the stats, not the Stun Gas. Personal preference. People are still loving Bossk, BH over Hunter, and that is a far more clear cut thing than this is.
Yeah, both errors in the spoilers for Zuckuss and Dengar were cleared up when the card was revealed. I don't see an errata coming.

That said, it isn't Stun Gas vs Paralysis when comparing the two. It is Stun Gas, +20 HP, +2 Def (hmm, 20 def), and +1 Atk vs Paralysis.

Don't forget the difference in cost. It would seem to me if a few more stat bonuses is a big deal, so could 2 points be.
But what I will add here is that the PLAYER counts just as much as the squad. 

I've been saying that for years.  Now you finally listen? 

I'm willing to bet that Bill can probably do things with this new 4-Lom that other players can't.  I think that is an inherent danger that is developing with advice with this game and I think its something that the top players need to be aware of when discussing this with other players. 

Yes, I am well aware.  But I fail to see how the "new player" is going to know what you are talking about, and instead will hear (read), "Don't listen to Bill". 

I'm not prepared to say that the new 4-LOM is better than the old one because I feel the only way it CAN be better is in the hands of a better player. 

Well I'm glad your "feelings" tell you this, but care to explain why this it objectively true in any sense instead?  How can I debate your "feelings" in any fair way?  All I can do is compare the stat lines, talk about how I would use a mini, and whatever advice I can give to others to both play it and think about it.  I don't think stating my "feelings" on the matter are all that convincing. 

I've argued that the "modest stat" boosts for 2pts are not modest at all, because they put Lom at a critical mass for his stats, especially in a Whorm squad.  That doesn't mean players should not use BH Lom if they want to, or if they want to use paralysis.  My point is, that I find paralysis to not be a major factor, and that I prefer paying 2pts for the stats, especially on a figure who doesn't have a lot of stat boost options.

I don't think there is anything inherently superior about the modest defense and HP boosts that makes it the "clear" choice over the old one.  Certainly bigger defense and HP matter, but it doesn't change HOW this figure is executed by the inexperienced or average player very much.

I'm not sure this is as helpful as I know you intend it to be.  Stat boosts do help inexperienced players a great deal, as they are more likely to misplay the tougher aspects of the game, and depend upon stats more than the experienced players. 

while I'm sure that Bill can and will make the new 4-LOM better than the old one in his games, that doesn't mean that you are going to be able to plop it into a squad and do better with him.

This statement, and the others basically tell people that my opinion on these matters is irrelevant to anyone not as good as I at the game.  Well quite simply, that's garbage and offensive.  First of all, you have no right to tell others that my advice isn't helpful, and second, you have no idea what I am aware of, or not aware of and any other such nonsense.  I'm quite well aware of who I am, who I am talking to, and what I am saying.

But you heard it here folks, Mike thinks you shouldn't listen to me.  In that case, I will stop talking, and you all can go back to your "boy does Dark Times suck because it doesn't have a new Rex/Dash/Cad" talk.  I'm sure that will be much more helpful to the new player than me going through the analysis of what makes a good mini....

Both have a use (IMO).

I personally like the idea of Paralysis more but play it "as a bonus".

Stun Gas is a neat ability if played right (eg. Run in 4-LOM, hope to win init and pull it off).  Save 16 or some other trigger as in Damage, save 11 to reduce to 10 would have been nice.

Whoever said the pose is familiar yes it's a lot like Dengar, BH.

I love the new 4-LOM, cool piece, great pose and worth the loss of Paralysis for better stats (HP, Defense)

hummm..now Proxy has a cheaper target with 20 def and 30 damge to copy.

Plus GG,DAC - 24 def, 14 att, 30 damage, double twin Proxy...not bad i guess :P
Always roll a 1 when I need a 2+ to hit...(D20)

um proxy can only copy characters with melee attack nad i dont believe 4 lom will.

um proxy can only copy characters with melee attack nad i dont believe 4 lom will.

You are right, i haven't actually read the Proxy's card for toooooo long....:P.

Thats too bad, O, well...

Thanks for the reminding
Always roll a 1 when I need a 2+ to hit...(D20)
though it can still mimic ban , gm luke, and a few others . and i wish it could mimic the t1 bulk loader droid
FWIW

either 4-lom is a difficult build, less so perhaps these days because of Whorm but still these 30 something point characters take up enough space where they really need to bring something strong to the table to compete.

Now, twin 30's are strong, even more so that they are unconditional.
Twin 30's with paralysis can be a game winner but if it doesn't come off then you will probably lose the fig.
New Lom will be able to take the counterfire better but his twin 30's are not so game winning.

The main reason i'm hesitant to laud Lom is that he has no evade counter. He is a pretty staionary gun that hits hard but can't do much to evaders without getting close. I think that might be where stun gas comes in. Run up and stun to set for the next round twin careful.

Even still old 4-lom does this from a distance.

They really are a toss up but neither are meta changers and neither look to make an impact like the original 4-lom was.  The days are gone where you had 20 something points left and threw in 4-lom for his reliability and survivability.  That mantle goes to the more mobile shooters these days.  When you compete against Dash DS you really have to offer something untangiable.

Zuckuss and Dengar bring these untangiables, 4-lom not so much.