Fireclave's Guide to 4e Race Mechanic Creation

186 posts / 0 new
Last post
I actually already gave my input on them in the original thread. =)
But yeah, their racial write-up looks perfectly fine. I'm not as good a judge of feats and paragon paths (I must admit I have a fair bit of trouble designing them myself), but I don't see any big problems from an initial read-through.
Only thing I might suggest is that there be some sort of range limitation to the Vital Link paragon path feature. Right now, it works clear across the plane and even if you and your ally aren't in battle together. Also, Vital Link looks really powerful if it performs that much surgeless healing, so I might suggest turning that into temporary HP, and even still, that seems like a lot of temporary HP to be throwing around...

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
My responses are in bolded blue
Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +2 Constitution

Races that get both of their ability score boosts towards ability scores that improve the same defense generally get a +1 racial defense boost to make up for it. For example, the Eladrin with +2 DEX and +2 INT gets a +1 bonus to Will, and the Goliath with +2 STR and +2 CON gets a +1 bonus to Will as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that little mechanic. I'll add in +1 to will because reflex doesn't exactly suit the piles of meat of dretches are.

Vision: Darkvision

Darkvision is supposed to be avoided except in a very limited number of circumstances, and I don't see why this should be one. Low-Light should be good enough.

Yeah I was going off the monster manual entry a little too closely, I overlooked that all of the races have normal vision or low light; no exceptions made. Knotching that vision down to low light with some cataracts.

Flexible Resistance: After an extended rest, select one: Acid, Necrotic, Radiant, Thunder, Force, Lightning, Poison, Fire, or Cold. Gain resistance 2 + 1/2 level of the selected type until your next extended rest.

Instead of listing every damage type out, why don't you just say "Select a damage type"? You've got everything but Psychic on that list anyways, and I don't see any reason to bar it to begin with, so...

Yeah, select a damage type condenses a lot more text, thanks.

Raical powers in general:
I think that Close burst 2 is too much for either of those powers if they're going to do that much damage. Either make them Close burst 1 or change to damage to only the damage die or only an ability score modifier but not both.

I have the burst so large on account that the creature hit can actually choose not to take the damage by either not moving with sticky miasma or moving away with repulsive miasma. All the while the move has to hit. But never the less i may just crank it down to close burst 1 anyway.

Hit: The target takes 1d6 + Str, Con, or Dex modifier damage the next time it takes a move action before the end of your next turn.
I understand neither the flavor nor the mechanic behind this power. What's supposed to be going on here conceptually? Also
any move action? Even move action that don't actually move you like standing up? What about teleporting? Does this even affect shifts? I don't know, this seems awefully general to the point where I don't get what it's supposed to be doing or why.

Yeah it is basically just a mechanic for now that was thought to be interesting. I havn't really created the flavor for it yet. I just have all this on here to go through the stage of "Are the mechanics balanced?" So yeah, any move action really,would trigger it. And besides, shifting counts as a move action, along with standing up and teleporting from an area is not. But those are just basic rules anyway.

Effect: At the start of your next turn, make an attack against each enemy in close burst 2.

Again, I don't get what the point of this power is supposed to be. It doesn't seem to actually repel anything at all, and I don't understand what's up with this delayed attack thing. You need to clarify what this power is supposed to be doing and why from a flavor perspective, because right now, it just looks like a random mechanic without any obvious flavor behind it.

This power is supposed to repel creatures on some level. The reason why there are two different miasma's to choose from in the first place is that it gives the race utility for multiple classes that may be melee and want enemies to stay close or to be ranged and want enemies to stay away. The flavor for the repulsive miasma may be like a lingering smell, if you stay in proximity too long it becomes more and more potent until you are undertaken by the smell.

Thanks for your critique sir. I'll probably come out with a official looking race page with full flavor and fixed mechanics later on.

One thing that just popped into my mind. How good is specific terrain walk generally considered? I'm thinking of replacing the Elf's Group Awareness with forest walk. Running through them woods things just seems more elfy than a freak aura that makes all nonelves (why nonelves?) suddenly all sharp-eyed and stuff.
Trying to help "I'm original" people build better decks is self-sabotage: Good advice will inevitably be ignored because someone did it before. The gist of Magic is going to MWS/MTGO, playing Island, Ponder and watching the opponent ragequit.

so the new Vanara looks something like this...

Vanara

Ability scores: +2 wis / +2 int or +2 dex
Size: medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: low light
Languages: common, elven
Skill bonuses: +2 stealth +2 acrobatics
Tree Dweller: Choose long jumper or sure climber, you gain the choosen feat as a bonus feat even if you dont meet the prerequisites.
Monkey Business: you can use Monkey Business as an encounter power.

Monkey Business              Vanara racial power
Your playful nature may cause your foe to make a slip up.
Encounter
immediate reaction, personal
trigger: an enemy targets your AC or reflex defense with an attack.
effect: The enemy rolls the attack twice and uses the result of your choice.

Play a Vanara is you want...
* to look like a monkey.
* to be a clever trickster or wise sage.
* to leap and climb with natural ease.
* to be a race that favors the avenger, druid, invoker, monk, psion, ranger, seeker, shaman and wizard classes

Ability scores: +2 wis / +2 int or +2 dex

*sigh*
Copying what the Changeling does has becomes really popular with home-brews lately, but I will continue to discourage it until I see a race other than Changeling where it actually fits. Look, the reason why the Changeling gets to do this is because flexibility and versatility are the entire point of playing a Changeling. If your race's flavor isn't totally about flexibility and versatility, then such ability score options don't belong on your race.

Tree Dweller: Choose long jumper or sure climber, you gain the choosen feat as a bonus feat even if you dont meet the prerequisites.

Giving out a bonus feat is sort of an easy and unoriginal way of going about racial features, but even if you'd prefer to keep it, having this as your solitary racial feature is underpowered.

Encounter
immediate reaction, personal
trigger: an enemy targets your AC or reflex defense with an attack.
effect: The enemy rolls the attack twice and uses the result of your choice.

This should probably be an immediate interrupt as opposed to an immediate reaction.
Also, it's not optimally worded. This makes it seem as though the enemy rolled once and then is now going to roll twice for a total of three rolls. Instead, I'd have power be worded such that it forces the enemy to roll one more time and use that result if it's lower. Though with your limitation of what sort of attack it can apply to, this would be weaker than the Halfling's Second Chance.

Basically, your race is just too weak.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
the attribute bonuses were a stab at trying to get the vanra to favor the classes that flavorwise i think they should, int/wis were there 3.5 stats and they were played as mainly casters monks and rangers. to give them that monk, ranger feel i thought maybe dex seemed appropriate. but i see what you mean i would feel more comfortable seeing this in anothr race again first.

originally it was both feats and people said that was over powered, yes feats are unoriginal but I used the 3.5 vanara as an inspiration and jumping and climbing is basically all they do. so if two feats is over powered and one choice of two is underpowered then what am i to do with them.

the encounter power is worded similar to the way the avenger's oath of enmity power is, i wanted it to work similar to that power rather than the halfling's second chance power wich triggers after an attack is rolled. it is an imediate reaction because the trigger is you becoming the target of the attack not your enemy rolls an attack. it says your enemy rolls twice cuz you're oath of clumsinessing your enemy. they target you, you make them roll twice, you make them use the result of your choice... it couldnt be simpler. i don't think it's wording needs to be changed but yes the limitation makes it weak i wasn't sure why i suggested it in the first place, flavor i guess, like the idea is that they trip you up or something i dont see fancy footwork having anything to do with a will or fortitude attack.
3.5 Vanara
+2 int, +2 wis, -2 str
size: medium
speed: 30ft climb 20ft
skills: +8 climb, +4 to balance and jump, +2 to hide and move silently
vision: low light
languages: comon, vanara
bonus languages: giant, goblin, spirit tongue, sylvan
favored class: shaman
Vanara

Ability scores: +2 dex, +2 wis
Vision: low light
Languages: common, elven
Skill bonuses: +2 stealth +2 acrobatics
Tree Dweller: gain long jumper and sure climber as bonus feats even if you dont meet the prerequisites.
Monkey Business: you can use Monkey Business as an encounter power.

Encounter
immediate inturrupt, personal
effect: when an enemy targets you with an attack, the enemy rolls the attack twice and uses the result of your choice. the triggering enemy takes damage equal to your wisdom modifier if it misses.

threre, traded int for dex now people can say the vanara is just another elf clone...
it now gets both feats with the +1 athletics it gets from those feats it has a total of +2 athletics and +2 acrobatics, +2 stealth. the only thing the old vanara had going for it was mad skill bonuses and this one follows that tradition.
monkey business is new and improved, may trigger on any type of attack and deals a little bit of damage. now pick it appart and tell me its terrible...
i want the 4e vanara to both feel like an official new race and the old 3.5 race but there isnt much to go on and I'm afraid i cant come up with anything much because i dont know how to tell if something is fair and balanced. the damage thing was even going to be a feat i thought up but the race obviously does need more power.
I was looking through the PHB and noticed that the favored classes for the existing races don't always correspond to classes where both of the race's attribute bonuses are in key abilities for that class.  I found this confusing and was wondering if I could get some clarification from more experienced homebrewers about what makes a class a favored class for a given race in 4e.
There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Look, the reason why the Changeling gets to do this is because flexibility and versatility are the entire point of playing a Changeling. If your race's flavor isn't totally about flexibility and versatility, then such ability score options don't belong on your race.

I believe that the PHB3 pretty much invalidates this viewpoint. I expect that in the future we will see this on many/most races.
Corrupted (subject to change, suggestion)

Ability Scores: +2 Int, +2 Con OR +2 Cha
Size: Medium
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Deep Speech
Skill Bonuses: +2 Insight +2 Arcana
Magical Attuned: Arcana added to class skill list
Terrifying Mind: Corrupted add +2 to will defense.
Aberrant Origin: Corrupted are strongly influenced by the Far Realm and count as having the Aberrant Origin.
Mad Certainty: Corrupted gain the Mad Certainty racial power.

Mad Certainty                Corrupted Racial Power
It all makes SENSE now...
Encounter             
No Action                 Personal
Trigger: You make an attack roll, a saving throw, a skill check, or an ability check and dislike the result.
Effect: Roll a d6. On an even roll (2,4,6) add 5 to the triggering roll.  On an odd roll (1,3,5) subtract 5.

Basically the campaign I am working on is after a millenia of mind flayer rule.  A hundred years before the campaign an army was formed to over throw them, but in the process a portal to the Far Realm was opened and it's alien energies and beings devestated the planet.  It's kind of post apocalyptic, with Far Realm corruption instead of radiation.  Corrupted are a by product of this influence.  They look mostly human, but mature frighteningly fast (full grown in just 2 years), and are prone to madness.

While homebrewing some races, I just now compiled a list of ability score combinations and the classes they correspond to.  The primary category are classes that have both of the ability scores as key abilities, and the secondary category is for classes that have one of the ability scores as a key ability (i.e. classes that would require a little more, like feat support, to be a favored class).  I hope you guys find it as useful as I think it will be.

Show

Str & Dex (Primary)

Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Monk, & Seeker

Str & Dex (Secondary)

Barbarian, Warden, Runepriest, Warlord, Cleric, Paladin, Druid, Wizard, & Avenger

Str & Con (Primary)

Fighter, Barbarian, Warden, & Runepriest

Str & Con (Secondary)

Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Monk, Seeker, Warlord, Cleric, Paladin, Druid, Warlock, Bard, Invoker, Shaman, Ardent, & Battlemind

Str & Int (Primary)

Warlord

Str & Int (Secondary)

Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Monk, Seeker, Barbarian, Warden, Runepriest, Cleric, Paladin, Warlock, Bard, Invoker, Shaman, Wizard, Avenger, & Psion

Str & Wis (Primary)

Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Warden, Monk, Runepriest, & Seeker

Str & Wis (Secondary)

Rogue, Sorcerer, Barbarian, Warlord, Druid, Invoker, Shaman, Ardent, Battlemind, Wizard, Avenger, & Psion

Str & Cha (Primary)

Cleric, Paladin, Rogue, Warlord, Barbarian, & Sorcerer

Str & Cha (Secondary)

Fighter, Ranger, Monk, Seeker, Warden, Runepriest, Warlock, Bard, Ardent, Battlemind, & Psion

Con & Dex (Primary)

Fighter & Druid

Con & Dex (Secondary)

Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Monk, Seeker, Barbarian, Warden, Runepriest Invoker, Shaman, Ardent Battlemind, Warlock, Bard, Wizard, & Avenger

Con & Int (Primary)

Warlock, Bard, Invoker, & Shaman

Con & Int (Secondary)

Fighter, Barbarian, Warden, Runepriest, Warlord, Druid, Ardent, Battlemind, Wizard, Avenger, & Psion

Con & Wis (Primary)

Fighter, Druid, Invoker, Shaman, Warden, Ardent, Battlemind, & Runepriest

Con & Wis (Secondary)

Barbarian, Cleric, Paladin, Ranger, Monk, Seeker, Warlock, Bard, Wizard, Avenger, & Psion

Con & Cha (Primary)

Warlock, Barbarian, Bard, Ardent, & Battlemind

Con & Cha (Secondary)

Fighter, Warden, Runepriest, Cleric, Paladin, Rogue, Warlord, Sorcerer, Druid, Invoker, Shaman, & Psion

Dex & Int (Primary)

Wizard & Avenger

Dex & Int (Secondary)

Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Monk, Seeker, Warlord, Druid, Warlock, Bard, Invoker, Shaman, & Psion

Dex & Wis (Primary)

Fighter, Ranger, Wizard, Avenger, Druid, Monk, & Seeker

Dex & Wis (Secondary)

Rogue, Sorcerer, Cleric, Paladin, Warden, Runepriest, Invoker, Shaman, Ardent, Battlemind, &

Psion

Dex & Cha (Primary)

Rogue & Sorcerer

Dex & Cha (Secondary)

Fighter, Ranger, Monk, Seeker, Cleric, Paladin, Warlord, Barbarian, Druid, Warlock, Bard, Ardent, Battlemind, Wizard, Avenger, & Psion

Int & Wis (Primary)

Wizard, Avenger, Invoker, Shaman, & Psion

Int & Wis (Secondary)

Warlord, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Warden, Monk, Runepriest, Seeker, Warlock, Bard, Druid, Ardent, Battlemind, & Ranger

Int & Cha (Primary)

Warlock, Warlord, Bard, & Psion

Int & Cha (Secondary)

Cleric, Paladin, Rogue, Barbarian, Sorcerer, Invoker, Shaman, Ardent, Battlemind, Wizard, & Avenger

Wis & Cha (Primary)

Cleric, Paladin, Ardent, Battlemind, & Psion

Wis & Cha (Secondary)

Fighter, Ranger, Warden, Monk, Runepriest, Seeker, Rogue, Warlord, Barbarian, Sorcerer, Druid, Invoker, Shaman, Warlock, Bard, Wizard, & Avenger

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Out of interest, and wondering about making up a homebrew race for some reason: what would people say about a putative race which allowed the player to choose between being physically powerful but mentally not, or mentally powerful but physically not?

i.e. you get +2 to any two mental OR any two physical abilities, and +1 to fort and will repsctively to make up for the lack.  Distinct physical subtypes, one goliath-like, one relatively weedy.  Two distinct racial powers, probably one shared major and minor feature and one distinct major and mnor feature for each sub type.

It may be horribly unbalanced and not much use as a concept, but I thought I might ask opinions before venturing any further into development.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
If anybodies still here, i would like to get an opinion on hybrid races, which is a combination of two less powerful races
Can you help me with my Illithid PC race? My problem is Mind Blast. It is geared towards melee classes (dazed, stunned, helpless enemy falls to 0 next to you and all), and melee classes kind of conflict with racial bonus of +2 to Int and Cha or Wis.

Any input would be great, thanks!

Here's the link:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Have you ever wanted to play a character out of the norm? A character... reviled by society, something that offers you a unique role-playing challenge? Have you ever wanted to play something more hated and innately evil then Drow? Have you ever wanted to be a...Mind Flayer? Page 8 has the current complete version.
I've noticed that at-will flight has been addressed and proven to be quite overpowered, but what about at-will teleporting? I quite like the idea of a race that jumps around the battlefield, doing a kind of hit-and-run thing. Just thought I'd ask before I came up with something, although I'll probably do it anyways.
Think the Ossassin sucks? Think again! Check out my attempt at a fix!
I've noticed that at-will flight has been addressed and proven to be quite overpowered, but what about at-will teleporting? I quite like the idea of a race that jumps around the battlefield, doing a kind of hit-and-run thing. Just thought I'd ask before I came up with something, although I'll probably do it anyways.

I highly doubt that this can be pulled off. The main problem here would be all of the effects out there available to increase teleport speed, so it would be problematic even if you only had a teleport speed of 1.

I highly doubt that this can be pulled off. The main problem here would be all of the effects out there available to increase teleport speed, so it would be problematic even if you only had a teleport speed of 1.

Hmm. Didn't even think of that. How about something like this?

Planar ShiftBrikk-Tkarr Racial Utility
You harness your natural instability in the world and use it to relocate yourself.
At-Will Teleportation
Move Action - Personal
Effect: Teleport up to 3 squares.
Special: The distance that this power can be used to teleport can by no means by increased or decreased.

I feel like that solution is so forced and inelegant, though. But either way, even with that restriction, that level of mobility (at-will teleport 3!?) is still absolutely unprecedented on a PC race. It's just too good, exactly because of all of the reasons that teleporting is desirable to begin with. I just don't think that anything more than 1 would stand a chance of being balanced.

Beyond mechanic, though, why is it that you feel that your race has to have a way to teleport at-will to begin with? A race flavored as being adept teleporters do not necessarily need to be able to teleport at will in order for that flavor to come across mechanically. Off of the top of my head, what about something like...

Planar Shift
Encounter - Teleportation
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you gain a teleport speed of 2 and all of your other teleportation powers allow you to teleport 1 additional square.

Compared to Shard Swarm, that looks about right in terms of power level, I think...

That power sounds good. I hadn't even thought of somehow making it an encounter power. I just thought, "Hmm. I want these guys to be able to teleport a lot," and I immediately jumped to at-will. By the way, 3 squares was just a random number I pulled off the top of my head that didn't sound like too much. The idea for this race kinda came from a scene from Jumper, when two of the characters were fighting while constantly teleporting. I threw swords in there and got some sort of crazy epic duel between Drizzt and Entreri while they were both wearing Boots of Teleportation, and thought , "That's what I want them to be like!" Anywho, thanks for the advice. I'll see If I can't come up with something more balanced. 
Great write-up!  I haven't had a chance to read it all yet, so if this question's been answered already, sorry in advance: How do you deal with granting bonuses to NADs now that floating racial attribute bonuses are the norm?  Let's say I'm working on a race who gets a +2 bonus to Constitution, and another +2 bonus to either Strength or Wisdom.  If the player selects Constitution and Wisdom, everything's fine, but if they go down the Strength/Constitution route, they'll need a NAD bonus (probably to Will) to compensate for the fact that they're doubling-up on Fortitude.

Would you just plainly write out that if the player selects Strength as their secondary stat bump, they also gain a +1 bonus to Will?  That seems a little awkward.  Maybe a better solution would be to split the race up, like they did with Shifters?  Race X-1 gets a bonus to Constitution and Wisdom, and Race X-2 gets a bonus to Constitution and Strength, as well as a +1 bonus to Will?  

How would you guys go about handling that?    
You ever thought about doing a similar class guide? I know it would be MUCH harder, but well worth the effort I think, to keep the 4th edition spirit alive.
probably because 4e does not like flying or multi armed player characters and those traits being rare even among the monsters I wanted to create a race that had these features. the background fluff for this race would be about hem first being an other race but because of various experiments preformed on them by (dark) wizards/warlocks they have a wide variety in skin colour/eye colour/ horn shape/tail shape/etc. but all have four arms and wings. the statblock would look like followed:

Ability score: +2 dex +2 int

Speed: 7

Vision: low-light

Languages: common, choice of one other

Skil bonus: +2 stealth , +2 intimidate

-racial trait: multitask

1 per turn

Draw or stow a item as a free action, can only draw an item when you have at least one free hand

- busy hands: Have 4 hands worth of equipment at the start of the round choose 2 arms you will be using. The other 2 hands do not provide item bonuses, treat those items as not equipped but you do not have to stow them.

- tortured past: You have a +1 racial bonus to your fortitude

-encounter: fly

Gain clumsy flyer speed -2 until the beginning of your next turn must end your turn on a solid ground or take fall damage. Cannot carry any more than normal load.

Special: this power can be activated in order to negate fall damage as a immediate response.

And there would be some feats that improve the fly power to normal flight at walk speed at level 8 and another that would make it a sustain minor ability at level 16. I chose these levels because you said that at will flight was only available after level 16 but there are no feats that have a level requirement in any of the handbooks. Also I was not sure about the activate to negate fall damage part, if I made it a racial defence to halve fall damage it would lessen the impact of taking the fall damage from not ending the move action on solid ground, but combining it with the ability seems kind of weird and impractical.

Warforged and Eladrin also have a ability that shortens the extended rest to four hours while being fully aware of there surroundings. As this race would be designed to be the ultimate (evil) minions for the wizard/warlock it would be obvious to improve the sleeping habits but combined with the superior mobility granted with the flight ability and the weapon juggling of the four arms it seems a bit to overpowered. Would it be more balanced to shorten the rest time to four hours but make them light sleepers (monsters having to make a DC 20? stealth check to not wake them during those four hours). or would this be more appropriate as a feat?

Because wings and multiple arms give a weird body shape I was thinking of making armour cost 20% more in order to custom fit those items. but this might conflict with the no disadvantages rule. should i ignore logic and include the higher cost or stick with the no disadvantage rule (if it even applies to this situation)?

if this hole concept of wings AND four arms is unbalanced would it be more balanced to make it 2 different races?

Pleas give your opinion on the balance.
hm...

Well we got Pixies now and Hengeyokai (who's crane incarnation can fly), so my question is if all these rules can still be upheld like they are.

Even powerful abilities like being able to breathe underwater or being able to communicate with any sentient thing are given away like ice-cream on some of the published races (shardmind, genasi for example).

So can I add different speeds like fly, burrow, swim and capabilities like no need to breathe, underwater breathing or telepathic communication to any race regardless if I already filled their power "slots"?

Edit: For an extreme example:
A 4-armed, flying, living construct species that communicates telepathically and still has the powers given to him according to these guidelines? 
@Deichgraf: as mentiond earlyer in this forum not all published races are balanced races, some have abilitys that favor only one specific typ of class, etc. also the discription of the race dous not necesarily coralate to there abilitys so even if jou have a 4-armed, flying, living construct it dous not imediatly mean it has 4 arms worth of equipment and it also dous not mean it can fly or dous not need to eat sleep or breath. the discription is a flavor text just like how a dragonborn has verry sharp teeth but dous not have a special bite ability.
To translate the flavor text into abilitys you must use those powerslots and stats for example being a construct could give a +2 on constitution and having wings could give it a +2 on dexterity. having 4 arms would reduce stowing or retreaving an item from a minor to a free action. telepathic comunication could become a racial encounter ability that gives a bomus to the next attack or check made by the target or something like that.
in short flavor text and actual abilitys are compleatly seperate things. flavor text and discriptions give the feeling of how a creature looks and the stat modifiers and abilitys translate that text to the in-game mechenics. you can discribe the most extreme race but it can only use those awsome features if it has the powers to do them. the more powers you discribe the harder it gets to fit them all in the alotted powerslots.
I hope this helps