Monsters that work well with Dragons?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post

Say you are creating an adventure that will involve going to a dragon's lair.   What creatures / monsters would you find? 

I'm trying to populate a dungeon were the final boss is a naughty dragon.

What monsters would a dragon tollerate near it?

Kobolds probably.  Hobgoblins maybe.  Any other types of monsters you can think of that commonly work with / found near dragon lairs?

I'd definitely say Kobolds. Other than that, if it's a natural dungeon, there could be some creatures that still live around it, using the dragon as protection. They'd likely be smaller, more ambush/hidey type monsters. 
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)
Monsters that share the same type with the dragon? Red dragon with fire based monsters, White with ice/cold, and ect..

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

Any smart creature will work well with a dragon, because if you don't work well the the dragon, the dragon eats you.

More seriously, I recommend creatures with some resistance to the dragon's breath weapon or other area attacks so it can blast with impunity.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Monsters that wouldn't bother the dragon but might provide some defense to it's lair.

Ropers
Chokers
Cloakers

Hmm, a lot of lurkers

Undead
Elementals

Anything that wouldn't draw attention to the lair or change it by burrowing around.
Monsters that wouldn't bother the dragon but might provide some defense to it's lair.

Ropers
Chokers
Cloakers

Hmm, a lot of lurkers

Undead
Elementals

Anything that wouldn't draw attention to the lair or change it by burrowing around.

Actually, you raised an interesting point here.  Which kind of dragon is it, or more specifically, what role does it fill?  If the dragon is a controller or artillery, the best partners to give it would be soldiers or brutes that can block the PCs from getting to it, so it can blast with impunity.  If it's a brute or soldier itself, controller or skirmisher partners might be the order of the day.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Pretty much any creature which does not want to be reduced to a pile of ash or a greasy red smear will work for a dragon.
Advice for DMs: When you are ad lib or improve DMing don't self-edit yourself. Some of the most fun you'll ever have is by just going with whatever crazy thing crosses your mind based on what your players are doing. Advice for Players: When your DM is ad libbing there are bound to be plot holes and inconsistencies that crop up. You'll all have a lot more fun if you just roll with it instead of nitpicking the details.
Previous Advice
Advice for DMs: Always dangle a lot of plot hooks in front of you players. Anything they do not bite you can bring back and bite them later. When considering a new house rule ask yourself the question "Will this make the game more fun?" Unless the answer is a resounding yes don't do it. Advice for Players: Always tell the DM not just what you want to do but also what you are hoping to accomplish. No matter how logical the result is it will never happen if it simply never occurred to the DM. "That's what my character would do" is not a valid excuse for being a disruptive ass at the table. Your right to have fun only extends to the point where it impedes the ability of others to do likewise.
Villagers who's wives/children are being held in the dragon's "care".

Make them lower level, have them use traps and hit-and-run tactics.

You are all awesome! Thanks for the idea's. 

I haven't decided yet which dragon to use.  It will be either the Green or Red.... Tis the season right?

Might I suggest this for both dragon type and appropriate minion…

PLAID.jpg picture by TheSulaco

Advice for DMs: When you are ad lib or improve DMing don't self-edit yourself. Some of the most fun you'll ever have is by just going with whatever crazy thing crosses your mind based on what your players are doing. Advice for Players: When your DM is ad libbing there are bound to be plot holes and inconsistencies that crop up. You'll all have a lot more fun if you just roll with it instead of nitpicking the details.
Previous Advice
Advice for DMs: Always dangle a lot of plot hooks in front of you players. Anything they do not bite you can bring back and bite them later. When considering a new house rule ask yourself the question "Will this make the game more fun?" Unless the answer is a resounding yes don't do it. Advice for Players: Always tell the DM not just what you want to do but also what you are hoping to accomplish. No matter how logical the result is it will never happen if it simply never occurred to the DM. "That's what my character would do" is not a valid excuse for being a disruptive ass at the table. Your right to have fun only extends to the point where it impedes the ability of others to do likewise.
Sign In to post comments