Heroic Tier Shaman Items?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

What would be your wish list for items in the heroic tier for a Shaman?   My DM asked me for one, and well I'm fairly clueless when it comes to items.   We can use the player's handbook, dungeon master's guide and adventurer's vaults 1 and 2.

Thanks for any suggestions

(1) What kind of Shaman are you playing?

(2) What race are you?

(3) What are the other members of your group?

(4) You can't use the items in the PHB2? Was that an oversight?

(5) Are you planning to use leather, hide, chain, scale, ...?

Some general information about what your character wants to accomplish goes a long way towards selecting items.

I'm no expert, but I just created a level 5 Wilden bear shaman for a new campaign I'm starting, and I can tell you the items I chose.  We were given 4000gp and weren't allowed items over level 5, so I haven't looked too hard at higher level heroic stuff.

Totemic Spear +1 (lv2): turns your attacks with range "melee spirit 1" into "melee spirit 2."  Early on, I think this is the best implement available because it greatly opens up your positioning possibilities.  The other great thing about this is that you can use another implement for your attacks if you want, and as long as you're wielding this in the other hand, you still get the reach 2.  So I basically plan to use this forever.  From AV2.

Healer's Hide Armor +1 (lv5): gives enhancement bonus to healing powers.  This includes Healing Spirit as well as powers like Spirit's Shield and Spirit of the Healing Flood.  This enchantment works for chainmail as well if you want to take that route, but isn't available for leather.  From AV2.

Hungry Spirits Totem +1 (lv2): I just got this for the daily power in case of emergencies (on a hit, you and ally close to target can spend a surge), since I'm the only healer for a party of six.  From PH2.

Stag Helm (lv5): I got this partly for flavor, but I expect it will come in handy since I have the highest perception in the party (this gives +2 to passive perception), and in surprise rounds, the minor action would allow me to summon my SC.  From AV.

Amulet of Resolution +1 (lvl2): There may be something better for the neck, but I just got this to grant myself a reroll on a failed saving throw.  From AV.

If you want to be in melee more often, you may be interested in the totemic warclub, which lets you use yourself as the origin of "melee spirit"  attacks instead of your SC.  You could wield this with the totemic spear to allow you to attack anyone within 2 squares of yourself or your SC.

Another thing I might focus on is anything that might help with granting saving throws, since we don't get many powers for that.

Of course Primal Power is coming out in a few days, and that could change the items you will want.  I don't think Power books generally contain items, but feats and powers can influence what you want.  For example, the new feat that lets you apply your CON to AC in hide armor may sway you to use hide armor instead of chainmail.

Anyway I'm sure there's mor eout there, but that's what I've come up with for my character so far.  Hope this helps.

Just wanted to point out that Chain is still probably better for a Con shaman, rather then that new Con to AC feat.  The thing is you must have hide to use that feat but shaman don't start with hide so you'd basicly need to spend 2 feats for the Con to AC feat instead of just one for chain.

(1) What kind of Shaman are you playing?

(2) What race are you?

(3) What are the other members of your group?

(4) You can't use the items in the PHB2? Was that an oversight?

(5) Are you planning to use leather, hide, chain, scale, ...?

Some general information about what your character wants to accomplish goes a long way towards selecting items.

Opps sorry yes this info would be helpful.

1. Mainly a healing shammy.  I'm a Protection shaman.

2.  Dwarf

3.  Have a ranger, Avenger and a Paladin

4. Yeah we can use PHB2.

5. Have chain feat.

I play a Dwarf Prot Shaman in RPGA who leans towards healing effects. I do have some items that help me significantly in that department.

Healer's Brooch

Mace of Healing Mace

Battle Standard of Healing

I don't have it but you could also add Healer's Armor to that list.

I did however pick up Potent Restorables feat (from Artificier MC) which gives him some more healing.

Combined with the Standard, this grouping allows me at level 9 to regain 8 hitpoints to those close to his standard when he heals someone else close to the standard. Should they be adj. to the spirit they can add another 4 to that. Twelve surgeless healing in a burst 5 around the standard other than the target you are actually healing is somewhat nice.

Course it does require somewhat close grouping, something that means burst/blasts can hit the group easier and that some of the ranged strikers don't like much.

Not as great single target healing as the cleric and not as nice at switching surges around as the artificier but pretty good aoe healing with minimal surges spent none the less.

I'm no expert, but I just created a level 5 Wilden bear shaman for a new campaign I'm starting, and I can tell you the items I chose.  We were given 4000gp and weren't allowed items over level 5, so I haven't looked too hard at higher level heroic stuff.

Totemic Spear +1 (lv2): turns your attacks with range "melee spirit 1" into "melee spirit 2."  Early on, I think this is the best implement available because it greatly opens up your positioning possibilities.  The other great thing about this is that you can use another implement for your attacks if you want, and as long as you're wielding this in the other hand, you still get the reach 2.  So I basically plan to use this forever.  From AV2.

Thank you for making me look this up. I had the impression that the totemic spear was a 2-handed weapon, and you couldn't use it while holding something else. unfortunately, it doesn't have the "reach" property, so you can't use a basic melee at distance, but its still nice that your SC has reach with it. not to find the feat for "threatening Reach for SC

Of course, then you'd also need a feat that allows your spirit companion to threaten squares at all!  :D

Of course, then you'd also need a feat that allows your spirit companion to threaten squares at all!  :D

I really hope they don't make that feat! 

I really prefer the SC's as spirits/special FX for certain powers, not like a Ranger's animal companion.

well, when you use spirit fangs (or whichever it is) you can use an opportunity action. it'd be nice if you could have an item that extended the reach of your spirits actions by 1.

a creature thinks its skirting your SC, then BOOM! bitch-slap from a square away. it'd be fun.

Thanks all for your suggestions.  Hopefully my DM will sprinkle some of this goodness in our current campaign Smile