Serioulsy, These forums suck.

15 posts / 0 new
Last post

Is there an option to go back?  I've gained nothing from the forums 'upgrade' other than a splash screen and HUGE posts with almost no text.   Furthermore it seems all the forums I regular are all having a mass exodus.

Is there an option to go back?  I've gained nothing from the forums 'upgrade' other than a splash screen and HUGE posts with almost no text.   Furthermore it seems all the forums I regular are all having a mass exodus.

Yeah, I've also seen a big drop in traffic. I've also nearly stopped posting. I'm currently hoping that "community beta" means that these forums are a work in progress and that we'll see improvements (hopefully) soon. 

The idea of improving the forums was not a bad one, but I don't see why they ditched the old forums before starting the new ones. You'd think they'd have started a beta program for the new community while the old one still existed, only migrating when the new one had all the features the existing user base wanted.

Can we turn this into a general complaints thread?

Here we go!

1. It's sloooooooooooow.    There have been countless times I'd clicked on something, and the ol' throbber (that spinny thing that spins when a page tries to load) just keeps going for upwards of four or five minutes.

2. Deep-linking doesn't work.  I have a bookmark set to community.wizards.com/go/browse/forums .  The first time I try to go to that bookmark each browser session, I end up going to the useless splash page that bookmark was meant to avoid in the first place.
    I suspect trying to link to a specific post from the outside (like in a blog or something) would have the same effect for someone who doesn't know what's going on, and would assume the link is broken and merely move on.

3. Goofy formatting.  Isn't it neat how the forum automatically doublespaces everything except lists?  No.  No it is not.  Luckily, shift+enter exists.

4. Meaningless fluff. 

• Just look at the groups list.  No really, go look.  There's over a thousand groups, but there's no obvious way to display any more than twelve at a time, each with space-eating images.  Here's a better idea:

I am a group - This is the description of this group
      I am another group - Here is a brief description of my group!
      Hey, another group! - My group is about what this description says

If there's any way to compress the group listings, to not have to slog through eighty-six pages of them, maybe, just maybe, this feature will become more popular?

• Bigass Margins.  There is a horizontal scroll bar present, up until the browser (firefox at least) is re-sized to 1250 pixels, and over two hundred pixels are pissed away on meaningless decoration that becomes pure wasted space 'below the fold'.
      May the Lord have mercy on someone trying to view the forums on a mere XGA (1024x768) display or (gasp!) a netbook, or (the horror!!) an iPod or something.

I concur, this new forum design is crazy. At least when the old forums were up we had a toolbar that could navigate all of the forums, I can't see my old threads anywhere nor do I know how to even get into casual play to simply post a thread for help on a deck! This is nuts.

I've been deployed to afghanistan... I just got where I can be online again since I'm now in hard structures and find that Wizards has destroyed the forums that have been my home since 2003.

When they did their 'deleting inactive accounts' business I emailed them asking that they not delete my accounts becuase I was deployed and have no way to log on.  When I get back I find that my main account is deleted, my alt's email has changed without me asking, and I lost all the names I had becuase I dont use random numbers and underscores in my name I actually just use spaces.

So now Bounty Hunter has become  Bounty_hunter_02

And Servant Of The Shadow has become Servantoftheshadow

I used to post in a unique font / size and now I cant...

Not to mention the double spacing is annoying, the pages load slow, and I'm still trying to figure out how this whole profile thing works becuase I used to just be able to watch all my most important threads and now it takes 5 mins to get anywhere.

I dont even know how to set a sig atm  *wanders off to find out how*

In light of the super awesome and totally usable WotC boards, many of us have moved offsite.

Check us out on NoGoblinsAllowed.  We've got areas for MtG, D&D, and open to expand.  Also have several play-by-post D&D games.

We'd be glad to have you drop by.

Yeah this site was described as the D&D Community "just levelled up!" - it's more like it got smacked with a vampiric level draining attack...Wink

Anyhow, I saw two posts about asking for help on how to invite friends that are currently not in the community and I see no way to do this.  What is the point of putting a gaming group on this site if you can't invite your players to post!?

This seems like a cool concept but the developers really need to take some lessons from Facebook or LinkedIn and make the tool easier to use as well as making it easier to social network.

First and foremost: Sidescrolling is bad. BAAAAAAAAADDD!!!!

2nd: Grey on White is difficult to read, and I liked how the Forums looked MAgic-like, not "Ipod-white with a pretty picture at the top".

Baad design, seriously.

[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest

Dear Hasbro,

We already have Facebook. We do not need another.

Sincerely,

Everyone

They said they where fixing the problems with the forums but its been what a month?
Please for the love of God can we go back to the old ones?

You can't even respond to a forum thread without logging in and then clicking on the link again to see a response - with all the great development talent there that are big fans of D&D - why isn't Hasbro leveraging the community more to make better enhancements to the Insider Tools and these Forums??  Don't even get me started on all the great promises about the Online Gaming Table that was supposed to launch within 6 months of the 4E launch.

The forums have suddenly gotten significantly less slow recently.
It looks like progress really is being made.

I was going to post a new thread with my complaints but i saw that there was one already...

As I have already mentioned in a thread not specifically about complaints. The fact that you have to spend 5-10 min extra just to register when you have already registred is completly insane. Why should everyone be required to have a picture for example?

Also the links from the daily magic articles to forums doesn't work. Or if they do work, there is some option which needs to be disabled first that i haven't found. Much worse than just quickkly leave a reply as it used to be at least...

People thought the new design of the main website was bad, the design of the new forums are quite insanely a lot worse... As Mark rooswater so aptly put it in his design article this monday, you should design for the players not for the designer. This is just doing cool things for cool things sake, not because the players (read users) want it or find it more fun/useful. How you manage to do that mistake twice while a guy in your company even writes about how you should not do that mistake on the very same site, I have no clue about.

my post

You used to be able to do all kinds of cool things in a post...

like sblocks and deck's and other stuff...

this format is just so friggan complicated and I might have to learn HTML to do that stuff??  

and why does it space this bad anyway... it doesn't look like it when I type... just when its posted

my post

You used to be able to do all kinds of cool things in a post...

like sblocks and deck's and other stuff...

this format is just so friggan complicated and I might have to learn HTML to do that stuff??  

and why does it space this bad anyway... it doesn't look like it when I type... just when its posted

I miss sblock!
HTML is nice, but yeah, BBcode is easierfor most people.

Hmmm.

Yeah HTML let's you to do pretty interesting things

I miss the old forums, where you could click something, and it would work. Work, as in, work within a couple minutes all the time, instead of at random.

Piles of wasted space I can't reclaim. I don't care about blogs or people or videos or chat or groups. I don't care about the wiki, and whatever info it contains, as that is why I am trying to read a forum.

Oh, and let me mention the fun I have had trying to change my password. After searching around for the page to do it, I have run into an issue. I am copying and pasting both the old password (fresh from a password reset email, as it wouldn't accept my old one) and the new one directly in, and,well:

Password not changed.
Please make sure you have entered correct information.

Well, THAT is certainly going to help me out here! Good thing the help page was able to answer this questi- Oh. No, no it wasn't. I mean, what? This password I just logged in with not 3 minutes ago (it took a while to get to the account page to try changing it)? Can't be correct. How about that new password I want to use? Copied and pasted, with no characters in it aside from letters and numbers? Absolutely false!

How does a forum setup like this pass a beta test? It fails with the layout, the speed that it loads at, and how search still doesn't work properly. However, I would like to congratulate the coders for getting some bbcode up in here again after how long gone? At this rate, we might reach the quality of the old forums by about 2015 or so.

I want someone to answer me this: Why should I bother with this forum? There might be good info still left in here somewhere, but if logging in and actually getting to anything is going to be this painful, while the site layout is something I'd expect from a 1997 Geocities site, I won't bother logging in again, and I'll just need to find a site that actually has what I am looking for. Considering it was here for about 5 years, that sucks, but I don't have time to waste on a site that feels worse than half the pre-packaged free forums I could get going in about 10 minutes.