Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15519 posts / 0 new
Last post

What happens if a target has Radiant Vulnerability 10 and Thunder Vulnerability 10 (or whatever, the exact types don't matter) and it gets hit with an attack which has both Radiant and Thunder keywords? Does it take +10 damage or +20 damage?

The FAQ thread cites a podcast as saying "vulnerabilities don't stack", but I take that to mean that giving a target Foo Vulnerability 5 twice doesn't end up giving it Foo Vulnerability 10. I was unable to find a ruling on hitting two different vulnerabilities simultaneously.

The podcast cited says "Multiple resistances to the same damage type do not stack and this is also true for vulnerabilities.  Whichever one is highest is the one that applies. "

The target will be taking an extra 20 damage.

Does a large or larger creature block line of sight if this line is otherwise blocked per the rules for line of sight?

No, enemies do not normally block line of sight (your DM might make allowances though for unusual circumstances).

3 questions;
1. Can you shift while prone?
2. Can a warden use font of life to make a death saving throw?
3. I forget what the ability was but in some PVP game a player had an ability that let him make a ranged attack against anybody who moved within 5 squares of him as an immediate reaction (or possibly interrupt, but I digress). If I was adjacent to him when he made an attack with this ability, would I get an oppurtunity attack against him?

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.

3 questions;
3. I forget what the ability was but in some PVP game a player had an ability that let him make a ranged attack against anybody who moved within 5 squares of him as an immediate reaction (or possibly interrupt, but I digress). If I was adjacent to him when he made an attack with this ability, would I get an oppurtunity attack against him?

1. No

2. No, you can only use Font of Life to save against an effect a save can end.

3. No, you cannot take Opportunity or Immediate actions on your turn.

3 questions;

1. No

2. No, you can only use Font of Life to save against an effect a save can end.

3. No, you cannot take Opportunity or Immediate actions on your turn.

1. Yes, but only if the square you are prone in is occupied and only when you are standing up. You can only shift 1 square. If you cannot stand up with that 1 square shift, you cannot shift.\

2. Debatable. A 20+ on a death save would let you spend a healing surge, which would effectively end the dying condition. Ask your DM.

3. Spitting Cobra Stance? The ranger get's OActions for this--they get to take this action (if it triggers) on every other combatants turn. If you start adjacent to the ranger (and it is not your turn), than you would get an OA on him if he used this. If you trigger the OA yourself by moving on your turn, you cannot use OAs or Immediate Actions.

Questions

If you use a power that Marks, do you have to mark that target?

With all the new 'marking' classes and powers that mark, this is becoming a important question.  As some of those powers say you 'can' mark the target while others just say you 'mark' the target.

Another reason why I'm asking this is that a little bit after 4.0 came out, there was a CS answer about marking just being optional.  This was so long ago, I don't remember what exactly it said.  It might have been just dealing with Fighter marks then.

Questions

If you use a power that Marks, do you have to mark that target?

If it says "can mark" or "can choose to mark" then it is optional (see Fighter's Combat Challenge feature). If it says "you mark" then it is not optional (see Paladin's Divine Challenge).

Does a large or larger creature block line of sight if this line is otherwise blocked per the rules for line of sight?

No, enemies do not normally block line of sight (your DM might make allowances though for unusual circumstances).

Where can I find the rules that cover what does and what does not block line of sight?

Thanks,

Deth Braedon

Line of sight is defined on PH pg. 273:

To determine whether you can see a target, pick a corner of your space and trace an imaginary line from that corner to any part of the target’s space. You can see the target if at least one line doesn’t pass through or touch an object or an effect --such as a wall, a thick curtain, or a cloud of fog-- that blocks your vision.

As an enemy is not "an object or effect that blocks your vision", it can grant cover or total cover, but not block line of sight totally.

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

I am very confused as to how custom magic wands work. If I am playing an Artificer can I use any wand power from any arcane source? Also when using that power am I getting an additional encounter power use? If the power has the implement keyword does it get the bonus from the wand that I am using the power from?

oh also how can a wand use a power like Scouring Weapon which is a melee or ranged weapon attack? Would I have to be holding the wand in one hand and the weapon in the other? It sounds strange that activating the wand power lets me attack with a weapon.

I am very confused as to how custom magic wands work. If I am playing an Artificer can I use any wand power from any arcane source?

Yes

Also when using that power am I getting an additional encounter power use?

I am confused by this...

Encounter powers turn into daily item powers on wands. You would get an extra use of the encouter power once per day per wand... at the expense of using one of your magic item daily power usages.

If the power has the implement keyword does it get the bonus from the wand that I am using the power from?

If you use the wand for the attack, yes. Using the power from the wand does not necessarily mean you are using the wand to make the attack.

oh also how can a wand use a power like Scouring Weapon which is a melee or ranged weapon attack?

See above... activating the power on the wand does not necessarily mean you are attacking using that wand. It would require you to hold the wand in one hand and a 1 handed melee or ranged weapon in the other hand.

Would I have to be holding the wand in one hand and the weapon in the other?

Yes... see above.

It sounds strange that activating the wand power lets me attack with a weapon.

Why? There are quite a few weapon and implement powers that can effect an attack that don't require you to be attacking with said weapon or implement.

if a spell creates an area that causes an effect when a creature enters the area, is a creature effected that started its turn in the area?..

Does Hunter's Quarry override a fighter's mark and vice versa?

Nope.  Hunter's Quarry (and Warlock's Curse) are not marks.  

Some poor unfortunate sap could be quarried, cursed and marked at the same time.

if a spell creates an area that causes an effect when a creature enters the area, is a creature effected that started its turn in the area?..

Not unless the spell says it does.

Can a halfling barbarian use Howling Strike? Situation: halflings cannot use 2-handed weapons, the can only use versatile weapons as 2-handed weapons (no damage bonus). Howling Strike requires a 2-handed weapon. I need to know if the halfling using a versatile weapon 2-handed can use Howling Strike. Seems like RAW prevents it.

You have the free will to agree or disagree.
You have the ability to act freely on the above choice regardless of the consequences.

Can a halfling barbarian use Howling Strike? Situation: halflings cannot use 2-handed weapons, the can only use versatile weapons as 2-handed weapons (no damage bonus). Howling Strike requires a 2-handed weapon. I need to know if the halfling using a versatile weapon 2-handed can use Howling Strike. Seems like RAW prevents it.

By RAW no. Versatile weapons are always one-handed weapons.  CS responded that Versatile was intended to "give the best of both worlds" and all two-handed effects apply when wielded so.

There are now small two-handed weapons and they claim to have reach too! (even though the specific weapons don't say they do).

This came up recently in my group: are the attacks granted by a fighter's combat challenge opportunity attacks?

This came up recently in my group: are the attacks granted by a fighter's combat challenge opportunity attacks?

No, they are not.  PHB1 pg 76 says Combat Challenge gives *IMMEDIATE* attacks, not Opportunity attacks.

PHB1 pg 268 outlines the difference between Immediate Actions and Opportunity Actions.

Something that comes up at least once for almost every new player:  No, the Fighter *cannot* stop a Shift with Combat Superiority.  Combat Superiority gives + to hit and ends moves, on OPPORTUNITY attacks.  Combat Challenge gives IMMEDIATE attacks, so it doesn't get the bonus to hit or the move-stopping.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

I'm considering multiclassing into Druid (from Wizard), but reading the description of Wild Shape leaves me a little puzzled, especially given the restrictions on it from the multiclass feat.

I understand that I won't be able to use normal Wizard powers (attack, utility and feat) while in beast form, though I could sustain certain ones.

While in Beast Form, will I be able to use a Melee Basic Attack (albeit unarmed)?

I was under the impression that anyone (any creature, even) could use a basic melee attack, since "unarmed" is allowed as a weapon choice, but the wording of Wild Shape (p. 84, PH2) seems to disallow it.

Unless I am misunderstanding things (or it has errata), it would seem that in Beast form I can make only one attack per encounter (using the once-per-encounter version of the At Will attacks Grasping Claws, Pounce, or Savage Rend). In my opinion, that renders the MC version of Wild Shape essentially useless for any form of combat.

On a related note:

Can a Druid using Wild Shape pick a different form each time he uses the power, or does he pick one form and that is the one he always changes into whenever he uses the power?

I understood it to be the latter, since there are a lot of druid powers later that specify a certain form, and then you can change between that form, the beast form, and humanoid (only). Another player in our group disagrees, saying that the power does not specify 'pick one and you are set for the life of your character' (like Genasi manifestations, for example). We each disagree on the meaning of the word "specific" in the way the power is worded.

Which dice do you max on a critical hit? If a bonus (like from a weapon or feat) causes you to roll extra damage dice when scoring a critical hit, those dice are not maxed. Other dice like hunter's quarry, sneak attack, warlock's curse, etc. are all maxed. Discussed here and in the 4e PHB FAQ.

In the "Rules you didn't realize" thread it was stated #48 (PHB 278) Sneak attack does not max on a crit. so which is correct?

The PHB FAQ says this (underline added by me for emphasis):

========================================================

10. Which dice do I maximize when scoring a critical hit?

Only the dice you would normally roll to calculate damage are maximized.  If another bonus (like from a weapon or feat) causes you to roll extra damage dice when scoring a critical hit, those dice are rolled as normal.

========================================================

Sneak Attack dice are rolled for normal attacks, not just critical hits, so they would be maximized.

While in Beast Form, will I be able to use a Melee Basic Attack (albeit unarmed)?

No.  Those are powers, and they don't have the Beast Form keyword.

Can a Druid using Wild Shape pick a different form each time he uses the power, or does he pick one form and that is the one he always changes into whenever he uses the power?

I understood it to be the latter, since there are a lot of druid powers later that specify a certain form, and then you can change between that form, the beast form, and humanoid (only). Another player in our group disagrees, saying that the power does not specify 'pick one and you are set for the life of your character' (like Genasi manifestations, for example). We each disagree on the meaning of the word "specific" in the way the power is worded.

What's complicated about the wording?  You choose a specific form WHENEVER YOU USE WILD SHAPE.

Not when you "choose" Wild shape, not when you become a Druid.  Whenever you use Wild Shape, pick a form.  PHB2, pg 84

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.

In the "Rules you didn't realize" thread it was stated #48 (PHB 278) Sneak attack does not max on a crit. so which is correct?

It's in RED on the summary, which is that thread's convention for "we thought this was a rule, but we were wrong".

You maximise *all dice you would roll if the attack was not a crit*.  Period.  Sneak Attack, Hunter's Quarry, Warlock's Curse, Horned Helm or Vanguard's weapon damage from a charge, bonus damage from being Bloodied and using a Bloodcrazed Weapon....

Figure out ALL the dice you'd roll if the hit wasn't a crit.

Maximise all of those dice.  Add that up.

Then, roll any dice you roll *because of the crit*.  Add those up.

Add that all together, and that's your damage on the attack.

If i take reserve manuver and I have taken a multiclass feat, may I take a power from my second class?

"Choose an encounter power from your class"

If i take reserve manuver and I have taken a multiclass feat, may I take a power from my second class?

"Choose an encounter power from your class"

No.

PH2 196:

If you take a class-specific multiclass feat, you
count as a member of that class for the purpose of
meeting prerequisites, including prerequisites for
feats, paragon paths, epic destinies, and rituals.

You are not a member of that class, you only count as a member of that class for prereqs.

I'm looking at the Hospitaler PP in the PHB (p. 101-102), specifically the 12th level Utility called Healing Font. Part of the text for it reads:

"That ally regains a number of hit points equal to 1d6 [ts] your Wisdom modifier."

Does this [ts] mean "times" (as in 'multiplied by'), or do I have some kind of weird typographical error in this version of the book?

I didn't see it listed as errata in the PHB update post on the WotC page.

I'm looking at the Hospitaler PP in the PHB (p. 101-102), specifically the 12th level Utility called Healing Font. Part of the text for it reads:

"That ally regains a number of hit points equal to 1d6 [ts] your Wisdom modifier."

Does this [ts] mean "times" (as in 'multiplied by'), or do I have some kind of weird typographical error in this version of the book?

I didn't see it listed as errata in the PHB update post on the WotC page.

Odd. I have the normal version and the deluxe version of the Player's Handbook.

The normal version definitely has "[ts]" there, but the deluxe version has an "x" there. Just a typo that unofficially recieved errata.

I understand that item bonuses from magic items will not stack, but would item bonuses from mundane gear stack?

Specifically, if I wear Chamoflaged Clothing (From Dragon 373) which grants a +1 item bonus to Stealth checks to hide and Footpads (From Dragon 373) which grants a +1 item bonus to Stealth checks to move quietly, and then try and sneak around in the a dark part of the map do I get a total of +2 Stealth against the enemy perception checks?

The bonuses are of the same type but are affecting different aspects of Stealth. Since Stealth now covers both hiding and moving would I get both bonuses?

I also had a second question, can a monk have serveral different magic effects on Monk Unarmed Strikes? If so, what is the limit? Or are monks limited to just 1 magic Monk Unarmed Strike?

Odd. I have the normal version and the deluxe version of the Player's Handbook.

The normal version definitely has "[ts]" there, but the deluxe version has an "x" there. Just a typo that unofficially recieved errata.

OK, thanks for the prompt answer. I'll pencil it in!

I understand that item bonuses from magic items will not stack, but would item bonuses from mundane gear stack?

Specifically, if I wear Chamoflaged Clothing (From Dragon 373) which grants a +1 item bonus to Stealth checks to hide and Footpads (From Dragon 373) which grants a +1 item bonus to Stealth checks to move quietly, and then try and sneak around in the a dark part of the map do I get a total of +2 Stealth against the enemy perception checks?

The bonuses are of the same type but are affecting different aspects of Stealth. Since Stealth now covers both hiding and moving would I get both bonuses?

I also had a second question, can a monk have serveral different magic effects on Monk Unarmed Strikes? If so, what is the limit? Or are monks limited to just 1 magic Monk Unarmed Strike?

It doesn't matter where a bonus comes from, all that matters is what type of bonus it is. The same type of bonus never stacks, even if it seems logical that it would.

Right now the monks have a single, special "unarmed strike" that they can enchant, so no multiple enchants by RAW. However, I flavor it as enchanting magic stones/bracelets/whatever the player wants and houserule to let them switch between those things (as if they were weapons... minor to stow, minor to draw).

To determine whether you can see a target, pick a corner of your space and trace an imaginary line from that corner to any part of the target’s space. You can see the target if at least one line doesn’t pass through or touch an object or an effect --such as a wall, a thick curtain, or a cloud of fog-- that blocks your vision.

As an enemy is not "an object or effect that blocks your vision", it can grant cover or total cover, but not block line of sight totally.

Could you please point to the part that details that "an enemy is not "an object or effect that blocks your vision" "?

I cannot find any text in the Player's Handbook or the Dungeon Master's Guide that clarifies that aspect.

Thanks,

Deth Braedon

Could you please point to the part that details that "an enemy is not "an object or effect that blocks your vision" "? I cannot find any text in the Player's Handbook or the Dungeon Master's Guide that clarifies that aspect. Thanks, Deth Braedon

Compare to the text under the Cover rules  (PH 280):

If one or two of those lines are blocked by an obstacle or an
enemy, the target has cover.

Compare to the text under the Cover rules (PH 280):

If one or two of those lines are blocked by an obstacle or an enemy, the target has cover.

Compare what to the above text?

I appreciate the help but, basically, I am looking for the rules on line of sight - the rules that specifically state how to achieve line of sight and what does and what does not prevent line of sight.
So far, it seems I am left to interpretation as I cannot find specific rules for line of sight.

Are there any rules for line of sight? Or is it left open to interpretation?
So far, all I am seeing is various opinions and innuendo and no definitive rules on line of sight.

Deth Braedon

Suoitidure is saying compare the text on Line of Sight to the text on Cover.  'Enemies' are explicitly called out as providing cover, but not explicitly called out as blocking line of sight.

I was wondering. Can you choose not to use a power's effect? As PHB1 states, you can choose to use, partially use or ignore push/slides/pulls/teleports/shifts with a power's hit or effect. But can you choose to ignore an effect that gives you 2d6 temporary hit points for instance (not that you would want to but anywho)?

Hi Community..

I have a question that arose from last nights game ..

When a power indicates that you push,pull,slide ect a creature.. are there limitation on the size of the creature.

in the example our ranger pushed a troll 2 squares (large creature).. but that raised the question what is it was a dragon ..

In the meantime I added a house rule to say that you can ony push creatures of "your size +1 size class" ..

Any help is appreciated.

Macrender.

Suoitidure is saying compare the text on Line of Sight to the text on Cover.  'Enemies' are explicitly called out as providing cover, but not explicitly called out as blocking line of sight.

Indeed. You want more? DMG 65 has a section dedicated to Objects. The differences found there should be enough to show that objects are not creatures.

I was wondering. Can you choose not to use a power's effect? As PHB1 states, you can choose to use, partially use or ignore push/slides/pulls/teleports/shifts with a power's hit or effect. But can you choose to ignore an effect that gives you 2d6 temporary hit points for instance (not that you would want to but anywho)?

Unless the power contains the word "can," or some similar word, it does it's thing regardless of creatures consent.

Forced Movement does not follow this rule and only must be followed if it says "must."

Hi Community..

I have a question that arose from last nights game ..

When a power indicates that you push,pull,slide ect a creature.. are there limitation on the size of the creature.

in the example our ranger pushed a troll 2 squares (large creature).. but that raised the question what is it was a dragon ..

In the meantime I added a house rule to say that you can ony push creatures of "your size +1 size class" ..

Any help is appreciated.

Macrender.

Unless the power specifically limits creature size for forced movement, there is no limit.

Check out Diabolic Grasp--it limits you to attacking a Large or smaller enemy.

Tide of Iron limits you to pushing a creature of your size, your size + 1, or smaller than you.

If it helps your imagination, you can think of forced movement not as a hit and then a slide (or whatever), but brandishing weapons, feinting, and using other such tactics to position your enemy. This visual is more believable than a halfling hitting a dragon with a dagger and the dragon is slid 15 feet by the dagger.

okay my question is as follows:

If you are 10 square from the target. you attack with your bow then sprint away aka (+2 movement, - 5 attack, combat advanatage). do you apply the -5 to the bow attack or not?