Rules Q&A FAQ + ask a simple question

15482 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is incorrect. PH FAQ:

14. When do a Magic Item's keywords apply?

If you use a magic item's power in conjunction with a power granted to you by your race or class, that item's keywords are added to the regular keywords of the power you are using. For example, if you are have a Flaming Weapon, and you use an at-will power to attack an enemy along with the at-will power of the Flaming Weapon, your attack will have the Fire keyword in addition to the normal keywords of your attack. You have to be using the powers of the weapon for those keywords to be added; simply using the magic item does not necessarily mean every keyword attached to a power of that item will be added.

Aha! So having the Sunblade *will* add the Radiant keyword to my melee attacks (that I use the sword to perform). That makes a huge difference in my long term strategy, thank you!

Can a Warlock multi-class Bard take War Chanter as a paragon path?

Nope. MCing into bard gives you the PreReq of being a bard, but you still lack the Virtue of Valor class feature.

As of right now, there is no MC Bard feat that gives you this class feature.

okay, so in the very first dungeon of the starter set (i know...pathetic) how do you move the pieces to meet the goblins and destroy them? Does that count as a rule? 

hey i have two questions, would be great if someone could help me out Laughing

the turathi highborn pp hellfire action states 'when you spend an action pointto make an attk, that attk does 2d6 extra fire dmg on a hit'

if i was to spend an action point to make an attk with a blast or burst power would evrey creature i hit get an extra 2d6 dmg?

also, if i used an action point to cast sleep, would every creature hit also take dmg and so could i use enlarge spell as the spell i cast now has a dmg roll?

2nd question is; when a creature has sleep cast on them, do they have to save from the slowed and unconcious effect seperately. so in theory they could fail they're slowed save, fall unconcious, then wake up and still be slowed. as long as they keep failing they're slowed effect rolls?

any help clearing this up would be great!

hey i have two questions, would be great if someone could help me out

the turathi highborn pp hellfire action states 'when you spend an action pointto make an attk, that attk does 2d6 extra fire dmg on a hit'

if i was to spend an action point to make an attk with a blast or burst power would evrey creature i hit get an extra 2d6 dmg?

Yes

also, if i used an action point to cast sleep, would every creature hit also take dmg and so could i use enlarge spell as the spell i cast now has a dmg roll?

I'm going with "no" here. "Extra" implies that there is already damage to add onto, akin to "extra critical hit damage" requires damage to begin with.

2nd question is; when a creature has sleep cast on them, do they have to save from the slowed and unconcious effect seperately. so in theory they could fail they're slowed save, fall unconcious, then wake up and still be slowed. as long as they keep failing they're slowed effect rolls?

any help clearing this up would be great!

Yes, if they fail the saving throw vs. slow (at the end of their turn), then they gain unconscious (save ends). They will have to make 2 saving throws at the end of their turn--one for the slow and one for the unconscious.

If the power said "...the target becomes unconscious instead of slowed" then it would override the original effect.

I can't seem to find rules to help me out with "target" and Line of effect and how they both apply to blast and burst descriptions:

Do I need to be able to see an enemy (whether he/she/it be invisible, behind me, unknown for whatever reason) for it to be a target for a blast or burst power? for example the paladin's call of challenge, that places divine sanction on enemies in a burst three.

what about line of effect? what if I use a burst three power against an enemy within range but partial cover?

what if an enemy is behind a pillar but still in the area of effect?

Can a cleric use a blast 3 power against enemies inside a room while he is outside the room?

(the x's are walls, e's are enemies, C stands for cleric, one enemy is in the doorway. The cleric obviously can't see all the enemies, but the area of effect is still 3X3, it just happens that two of the squares are occupied by a wall instead of an enemy. WOuld the enemies get a bonus to the applicable defense?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

x                             E E x

x                             E E x

x                             E E E C

x                                   x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Do the "Hunting Wolf Form" and "Stalking Panther Form" feats stack or is it either/or.

I can't seem to find rules to help me out with "target" and Line of effect and how they both apply to blast and burst descriptions:

Do I need to be able to see an enemy (whether he/she/it be invisible, behind me, unknown for whatever reason) for it to be a target for a blast or burst power? for example the paladin's call of challenge, that places divine sanction on enemies in a burst three.

what about line of effect? what if I use a burst three power against an enemy within range but partial cover?

what if an enemy is behind a pillar but still in the area of effect?

Can a cleric use a blast 3 power against enemies inside a room while he is outside the room?

(the x's are walls, e's are enemies, C stands for cleric, one enemy is in the doorway. The cleric obviously can't see all the enemies, but the area of effect is still 3X3, it just happens that two of the squares are occupied by a wall instead of an enemy. WOuld the enemies get a bonus to the applicable defense?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

x                             E E x

x                             E E x

x                             E E E C

x                                   x

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

PH 280 has the rules you are looking for... PH 281 has a picture with an example burst power with some things having cover and some not.

You do not have to be able to see an enemy in a burst/blast to be able to hit them, but if it is a specific targeting issue (like the Paladin's Divine Challenge) then you have to know the location of the creature or guess.

In the example with your cleric and a blast 3 power, the enemy in the top right corner would not be in the blast, since LoE is drawn from the origin square (the cleric, in this case). The enemies directly to the left and below the enemy in the corner would have cover. Everyone else would be attacked normally.

Do the "Hunting Wolf Form" and "Stalking Panther Form" feats stack or is it either/or.

They stack, giving you a total of +5 feat bonus to Perception, +1 feat bonus to speed, +5 feat bonus to Stealth, and +4 feat bonus to initiative, while in beast form.

thanks for clearing that up!! much appreciated Laughing

i have one more question..does the turathi highborn extra dmg keep recurring if it is a sustained attk? such as stinking cloud?..

1) If a sword mage uses his "I switch places with an ally - teleport" whilst caught in a net, would he be freed, and the ally unaffected - or would the ally take his place in the net ?

2) Where should I post to get peoples' feelings on this?

Thank you.

thanks for clearing that up!! much appreciated

i have one more question..does the turathi highborn extra dmg keep recurring if it is a sustained attk? such as stinking cloud?..

The extra damage is tied to a hit as well as tied to an attack via an action point. If there is no hit required for the damage, then there is no extra damage. So the zone based damage of a sustained stinky is definitely out. A sustained Fireball that you attack with is iffy... I would say that it does not get the extra damage unless you spend an action point to make the attack.

1) If a sword mage uses his "I switch places with an ally - teleport" whilst caught in a net, would he be freed, and the ally unaffected - or would the ally take his place in the net ?

2) Where should I post to get peoples' feelings on this?

Thank you.

1) Dimensional Warp? The person starting in the net would definitely be free (provided they ended in a square outside of the net). I would rule that whoever switches places with the person caught in the net would themselves be caught in the net... seems like the flavor of the power would follow that.

2) This is the right board for these kinds of questions. You could start your own topic on it if you wanted more opinions.

Thank you very much.

hey, i have a question about the 'initiate of the faith' feat

it says once per day you canb use the clerics healing word power.

the power itself says you can use it twice per round. my thoughts are that this feat allows you to use the healing word power once per day, and the encounter you choose to use it you can cast it twice. then no more that day. this scales as you go higher in level. still never being able to use it in more than 1 encounter, bu tin that encounter you can begin to use it more often.

am i right?...

thanks for all the help!

Silly question, maybe my logic is faulty that is why I come to the gurus for an in-depth ruling.

Last night, during my game, I encountered a problem with a sword mage, this problem, as far as I know, is resolved, now the problem lies with other classes.

I understand that using an implement in battle will grant bonuses to attack and damage rolls, but here's the thing.

If a paladin makes a magical/divine based attack using a melee weapon, an example would be the lvl 1 at-will power Enfeebling Strike, would he recieve the weapon proficiency bonus on his axe because the damage is dealt with a melee weapon even though the attack states Charisma Vs Ac?  My silly logic says "Charisma?  No."  Because it works differently with swordmages.  Swordmages can use their weapons as an implement to channel magic through.  I would love it if someone could clarify on the subject before I make a mistake regarding powers and the bonuses stacked on the rolls.

hey, i have a question about the 'initiate of the faith' feat

it says once per day you canb use the clerics healing word power.

the power itself says you can use it twice per round. my thoughts are that this feat allows you to use the healing word power once per day, and the encounter you choose to use it you can cast it twice. then no more that day. this scales as you go higher in level. still never being able to use it in more than 1 encounter, bu tin that encounter you can begin to use it more often.

am i right?...

thanks for all the help!

The feat completely replaces the usage of the power. You can use it only one time per day normally (there are ways to recharge it...).

If a paladin makes a magical/divine based attack using a melee weapon, an example would be the lvl 1 at-will power Enfeebling Strike, would he recieve the weapon proficiency bonus on his axe because the damage is dealt with a melee weapon even though the attack states Charisma Vs Ac? 

Yup. Any weapon keyword attack will gain the prof bonus to attack rolls. Stat vs Defense doesn't matter at all.

If a paladin makes a magical/divine based attack using a melee weapon, an example would be the lvl 1 at-will power Enfeebling Strike, would he recieve the weapon proficiency bonus on his axe because the damage is dealt with a melee weapon even though the attack states Charisma Vs Ac?  My silly logic says "Charisma?  No." 

Your "silly logic", as you put it, is wrong.  Determining whether or not you get a proficiency bonus on an attack roll is as simple as looking at the keywords of the power.

If it says "Weapon", you get the weapon's proficiency bonus.

If it says "Implement", you do not get the proficiency bonus, even if you're using an Implement that is also a weapon.

The stat you're using doesn't matter.

Clearer?

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

Silly question, maybe my logic is faulty that is why I come to the gurus for an in-depth ruling.

Last night, during my game, I encountered a problem with a sword mage, this problem, as far as I know, is resolved, now the problem lies with other classes.

I understand that using an implement in battle will grant bonuses to attack and damage rolls, but here's the thing.

If a paladin makes a magical/divine based attack using a melee weapon, an example would be the lvl 1 at-will power Enfeebling Strike, would he recieve the weapon proficiency bonus on his axe because the damage is dealt with a melee weapon even though the attack states Charisma Vs Ac?  My silly logic says "Charisma?  No."  Because it works differently with swordmages.  Swordmages can use their weapons as an implement to channel magic through.  I would love it if someone could clarify on the subject before I make a mistake regarding powers and the bonuses stacked on the rolls.

PH1 pg. 274 gives the basic format for determining a power's attack roll: 1/2 your level + the stated ability modifier, plus any of the listed additional bonuses.

PH2 pg. 221 clarifies the keywords.  If the power has the Weapon keyword, you add the weapon's proficiency bonus to the attack rolls of that power.

In your example, a paladin has some powers with the Implement keyword and some with the Weapon keyword.  That is the determining factor of whether or not to include the weapon's proficiency bonus, not the ability the power uses.

Edit: Drat, ninjaed.  But at least I included page references.  Smile

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

Thanks for clarifying.

Greetings, I have a doubt with Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning:

- The caster needs line of effect and sight to the Primary Target. Does he need line of effect and/or sight to hit the Secondary and Tertiary Targets?

Thanks in advance.

When a power has a set damage figure, do other bonuses apply?

One power I'm thinking of specifically is the Invoker Glyph of Imprisonment. The damage is 1d8 plus Wisdom. As we all understand it, using an enhanced implement(or having a Feat that gave a damage bonus to the damage type, like radiant) will add to that damage. So, an invoker with an 18 Wisdom and a +2 Staff will do 1d8 +6.

Does the damage bonus(of the implement) also apply to the fixed 5 points of damage that they take for moving, for a total of 7?

Greetings, I have a doubt with Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning:

- The caster needs line of effect and sight to the Primary Target. Does he need line of effect and/or sight to hit the Secondary and Tertiary Targets?

Thanks in advance.

Well, you never need Line of Sight (minus teleport powers and where specifically specified). By the rules, it is still a Ranged power (even for the secondary and tertiary targets), so you will need to have Line of Effect from yourself to every target for the power.

When a power has a set damage figure, do other bonuses apply?

One power I'm thinking of specifically is the Invoker Glyph of Imprisonment. The damage is 1d8 plus Wisdom. As we all understand it, using an enhanced implement(or having a Feat that gave a damage bonus to the damage type, like radiant) will add to that damage. So, an invoker with an 18 Wisdom and a +2 Staff will do 1d8 +6.

Does the damage bonus(of the implement) also apply to the fixed 5 points of damage that they take for moving, for a total of 7?

Most damage bonuses apply to damage rolls. Enhancement (from weapons or implements), weapon focus, and things like this all specify rolls. The fixed 5 points of damage they take for moving can pnly be boosted by sources that do not specify damage rolls.

A counterexample would be the Wizard's Stinking Cloud. It does rolled damage + Int on a hit, and then does rolled damage + Int for entering or starting in. The first set of damage requires an attack roll to hit, but the second set is automatic. Even though it is automatic damage, it is still a damage roll and will get all applicable bonuses.

What happens if a wizard takes a utility or daily that is not a spell. For example, if he multiclasses into Fighter and selects one wizard and one fighter utility? Can he put the fighter utility in his spellbook? What about if he selects a skill power?

What happens if a wizard takes a utility or daily that is not a spell. For example, if he multiclasses into Fighter and selects one wizard and one fighter utility? Can he put the fighter utility in his spellbook? What about if he selects a skill power?

Spellbook only applies to Wizard powers.  If he picks a Wizard utility, he gets the Spellbook feature, and gets to pick two Wizard utilities.  If he picks a Fighter utility, Spellbook doesn't apply and he just gets the one.

Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.

Only spells can go in the spellbook. If you have a power that is not a spell, then you are stuck with it at least until you level up.

Spellbook only applies to Wizard powers.  If he picks a Wizard utility, he gets the Spellbook feature, and gets to pick two Wizard utilities.  If he picks a Fighter utility, Spellbook doesn't apply and he just gets the one.

Awesome - thanks. Can you site the source where you are getting that ruling? I have access to Compendium so a link would be helpful - if not a book/page number would be great.

Awesome - thanks. Can you site the source where you are getting that ruling? I have access to Compendium so a link would be helpful - if not a book/page number would be great.

PHB1 pg 158.  Spellbook is a Wizard class feature that applies only to SPELLS.  Strong implication is that it's intended to apply only to WIZARD spells since it's a Wizard class feature, but that's not explicitly stated there.  There's an FAQ or Customer Service ruling to the effect that it's Wizard things only, but those aren't "official".

Does one charge "with a power" or simply charge and then do XYZ (according to your feats and such) ?

The implication is this : if you wield a reach weapon but wish to use a (melee touch) attack and must stop 1 square away because you can attack it there - you're out of luck.

Or, lastly, are reach weapons an exception to the "charge to nearest square from which you can attack it" rule. In this case, the wording should be changed to : "go to the nearest adjacent square".

??

Does one charge "with a power" or simply charge and then do XYZ (according to your feats and such) ?

One Charges by moving to the nearest square from which you can attack the target, and making a melee basic attack.  That's it, that's all.

Some powers change this - but only if they *specifically* say they change it.

The implication is this : if you wield a reach weapon but wish to use a (melee touch) attack and must stop 1 square away because you can attack it there - you're out of luck.

Can you show me the power you're talking about, which is Melee Touch but can be used at the end of a charge?

But, in that specific case, the attack you're using has a range of Melee Touch, meaning you have to be adjacent to the target to use it, meaning the nearest square from which you can use it *is adjacent to the target*.

Or, lastly, are reach weapons an exception to the "charge to nearest square from which you can attack it" rule. In this case, the wording should be changed to : "go to the nearest adjacent square".

There's no exception.  For a charge, you MUST move to the nearest square from which you CAN attack the target, stop there, and make a melee basic attack.

If you've got Reach 1, this means you *do* Charge to one square away from your target.  If you've got Reach 4, you stop 4 squares away from your target.

None of the other rules for charges change.

Can you explain the specific situation you're having a problem with, so we can help you better?

One Charges by moving to the nearest square from which you can attack the target, and making a melee basic attack.  That's it, that's all.

Some powers change this - but only if they *specifically* say they change it.

Can you show me the power you're talking about, which is Melee Touch but can be used at the end of a charge?

But, in that specific case, the attack you're using has a range of Melee Touch, meaning you have to be adjacent to the target to use it, meaning the nearest square from which you can use it *is adjacent to the target*.

This is how I'm reading what you wrote:

You move to the nearest square from which you can make a melee attack, but you can also move to the square "required by your attack". You must remember that you are wielding the reach weapon at the time.

And so I have to assume that you're of the option of "charge with an attack/power" i.e. your "attack range" is decided piror to the movement.

I was reading this : community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... and it made me wonder. (page 3)

Question:

Does a large or larger creature block line of sight if this line is otherwise blocked per the rules for line of sight?

You move to the nearest square from which you can make a melee attack,

You move to the nearest square from which you can make the attack you are using at the end of the Charge.

but you can also move to the square "required by your attack". You must remember that you are wielding the reach weapon at the time.

And so I have to assume that you're of the option of "charge with an attack/power" i.e. your "attack range" is decided piror to the movement.

Well, yes.  Charge is a single action.  It contains move, move restrictions, and the attack.  But it's a single action, and you declare the move, the target square, and *what power you're going to use*, all at once.

Unless you have a power that says otherwise, that's the nearest square from which you can make a melee basic attack.

I think I missed it in the thread.

Could someone please explicitly state which power is trying to be used with the charge?

Thanks,

Deth Braedon

okay, say there's a warlock who's moved more than 3 squares during his turn, and gets concealment from shadow walk. Then he has an item that ends up granting him concealment again before his next turn. (blackshroud weapon, there are others like it) Do these abilities stack and give the warlock total concealment?

okay, say there's a warlock who's moved more than 3 squares during his turn, and gets concealment from shadow walk. Then he has an item that ends up granting him concealment again before his next turn. (blackshroud weapon, there are others like it) Do these abilities stack and give the warlock total concealment?

No - he just has concealment twice (which is moot).

Deth Braedon

so does that give him -4 to attacks made against him or just 2?

Hi, I'm new to D&D, only had the books since last Christmas (my folks thought I might be interested), and just managed to start up a group about three weeks ago. We play on a regular basis most of the time, at least once per week, and since I have the physical material I was nominated for the GM role. So far it's been okay, none of my players have any complaints, and we work together together to understand the rules and game.

But I have some quick questions outside of the group and books I'd like some clarification for, make sure I'm doing things right:

1) What exactly is the difference between Strength vs AC, and something that reads 1d4 + Strength modifier. Does this mean the base modifier for your STR value? Say you have 14, your base is then (+2), but if you were Level 2 your Strength modifier would be STR 14(+2) + One-Half Level (+1), equaling a (+3) modifier over all? So whenever something asks for just STR, it's your base value - and if something asks for the modifier, its the base value plus any relevant integers?

2) I'm unsure of how many actions a PC/Monster can take in a single turn. This is how I think it works, please correct me if I'm wrong:

Standard(1)/Move(1)/Minor(1)

Then, if you wanted, you could do the following:

(3)Minor/No other actions, (2)Minor/(1)Move or (1)Standard

(2)Move/No other actions

I am unsure, and this is a key issue to the game, so please help correct me.

3) How exactly do Critical Hits work? I was in an argument with a Player that a natural 20 doesn't always give you max damage, only if that attack can actually hit the relevant defense, otherwise it simply acts as an autohit? Also, how do you apply extra damage from High Crit and magic weapon properties? So far I've just been making Players roll for magic crit properties, and making them roll an extra [W] roll for their weapons? Unless I'm supposed to max out all possible damage from all modifiers?

- Thanks for now, that's the only thing pressing I have on mind at the moment, I have another match tomorrow, and I hope to continue to improve as time goes along.

1) What exactly is the difference between Strength vs AC, and something that reads 1d4 + Strength modifier. Does this mean the base modifier for your STR value? Say you have 14, your base is then (+2), but if you were Level 2 your Strength modifier would be STR 14(+2) + One-Half Level (+1), equaling a (+3) modifier over all? So whenever something asks for just STR, it's your base value - and if something asks for the modifier, its the base value plus any relevant integers?

Welcome to 4th editiion!

You actually have it backwards... Strength vs AC means Str mod + 1/2 level + other mods.

Str mod is just Strength -10 divided by 2 (rounded down).

2) I'm unsure of how many actions a PC/Monster can take in a single turn. This is how I think it works, please correct me if I'm wrong:

Standard(1)/Move(1)/Minor(1)

Then, if you wanted, you could do the following:

(3)Minor/No other actions, (2)Minor/(1)Move or (1)Standard

(2)Move/No other actions

I am unsure, and this is a key issue to the game, so please help correct me.

Almost exactly right... only the (2) move would also have 1 minor.

Basically a character has the three main actions on one turn, Standard, Move, and Minor.

You can use these three or trade down to use a different action... Standard>Move>Minor.

Str mod is just Strength -10 divided by 2 (rounded down).

3) How exactly do Critical Hits work? I was in an argument with a Player that a natural 20 doesn't always give you max damage, only if that attack can actually hit the relevant defense, otherwise it simply acts as an autohit? Also, how do you apply extra damage from High Crit and magic weapon properties? So far I've just been making Players roll for magic crit properties, and making them roll an extra [W] roll for their weapons? Unless I'm supposed to max out all possible damage from all modifiers?

That's right... but generally speaking players will always be fighting monsters with low enough defenses that a 20+mods will hit.

You are playing crits correctly... here is an easy way to remember what you roll and what you maximize on a crit:

Any damage dice that you would roll whether you crit or not is maximized (this includes the damage from the attack power, striker damage like Sneak Attack or Hunter's Quarry, extra dice from other sources that do not depend on a crit).

Any damage dice you get because you crit get rolled. This would be the crit dice from magic items, high crit weapons, and various other dice that trigger from a crit.

Thanks for the quick and accurate reply!

so does that give him -4 to attacks made against him or just 2?

As the person you're responding to said:  "he just has concealment twice (which is moot)."

"Concealment" is something you have, or you don't.  You can't have it twice.

What happens if a target has Radiant Vulnerability 10 and Thunder Vulnerability 10 (or whatever, the exact types don't matter) and it gets hit with an attack which has both Radiant and Thunder keywords? Does it take +10 damage or +20 damage?

The FAQ thread cites a podcast as saying "vulnerabilities don't stack", but I take that to mean that giving a target Foo Vulnerability 5 twice doesn't end up giving it Foo Vulnerability 10. I was unable to find a ruling on hitting two different vulnerabilities simultaneously.