SWM OP support and Convention event scheduling

I would like to take the opportunity to announce that Wizards of the Coast is providing Star Wars Miniatures prize support for the following large conventions in 2009:

• Origins, 6/25 – 6/28 Friday 6/26/09 - Battle of Hoth mass battle 7pm Saturday 6/27/09 - Battle of Endor mass battle 7pm Saturday 6/27/09 - 200 point DCI constructed tournament • San Diego Comi Con, 7/23 – 7/26 Thursday 7/23/09 - Game Demo. From 11:00 to 1:00 Thursday 7/23/09 - 100 pt. sealed event (4 rounds) 2:00-8:00 Friday 7/24/09 - 150 pt. Constructed, 4 rounds swiss 2:00-6:00 p.m. Saturday 7/25/09 - 200 Pt. Constructed, 4 rounds swiss 2:00- 6:00 p.m. Sunday 7/26/09 - Clone Wars themed mass battle (500 pts. per side) 10:00-4:00

• Wizard World Chicago, 8/6 – 8/9 Saturday, Aug 8, 11am. 150 point constructed tournament Saturday, Aug 8, 4pm. 150 point Jedi Academy sealed booster tournament Sunday, Aug 9, 11am. 200 point constructed tournament Demo's running all weekend and on demand pick up events No convention entry fees.

• GenCon, 8/13 – 8/16 Thursday, Aug 13, 9am. 150 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge Thursday, Aug 13, 3pm. 200 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge Thursday, Aug 13, 6pm. Clone Wars Mass Battle Friday, Aug 14, 9am. Clone Wars Mass Battle Friday, Aug 14, 10am. 100 point constructed tournament – Jedi Challenge Friday, Aug 14, 4pm. 100 point Jedi Academy sealed booster tournament Friday, Aug 14, 4pm. AT/AT Hoth Challenge Friday, Aug 14, 6pm. Team tournament event Friday, Aug 14, 10pm. 200 point Tile Wars tournament Saturday, Aug 15, 10am. US National Championship 150 point constructed, swiss rounds Saturday, Aug 15, 3 pm. 100 point Jedi Academy sealed booster tournament Saturday, Aug 15, 8pm. Dynamic Duo tournament Sunday, Aug 16, 9am. US National Championship 150 point finals – Top 8 Sunday, Aug 16, 11am. 100 point Jedi Academy sealed booster tournament

• Dragon Con, 9/4 – 9/7 Friday, Sept 4, 9am. Star Wars Miniatures Demonstration Friday, Sept 4, 1pm. 150 point constructed tournament Friday, Sept 4, 6pm. 200 point constructed tournament Saturday, Sept 5, 9am. 100 point constructed tournament Saturday, Sept 5, 1pm. 200 point constructed tournament Saturday, Sept 5, 6pm. 150 point constructed - DragonCon Jedi Trials Saturday, Sept 5, 10pm. Dynamic Duo tournament Sunday, Sept 6, 9am. Star Wars Miniatures Demonstration Sunday, Sept 6, 1pm. 100 point constructed tournament Sunday, Sept 6, 6pm. 150 point constructed tournament Sunday, Sept 6, 10pm. Dynamic Duo tournament Monday, Sept 7, 9am. 100 point constructed tournament Monday, Sept 7, 1pm. 150 point constructed tournament

• PAX, 9/4 – 9/6 Friday, Sept 4, 12 Noon. Dynamic Duo tournament Friday, Sept 4, 5pm 200 point constructed tournament Saturday, Sept 5, 12 Noon. PAX Jedi Masters 150 point constructed tournament Suncay, Sept 6, 10am. 100 point constructed tournament Friday, Saturday, Sunday League play Each convention will be supported with product prize support and will have an emphasis on new player development along with competitive events for experienced player enjoyment. Each of these conventions will have a point person to lead the Star Wars Miniature events. More information will be coming soon for each of these conventions.

In addition, Wizards of the coast will support smaller conventions during the 2009 year. Please contact me (PM – Moses2813, email - [email]JFraser756@hotmail.com[/email]). These conventions will get listed on the Wizards of the Coast website. Below are smaller conventions that have contacted me for support. My apologies to the smaller conventions that I missed so far this year.

• SpoCon, 7/31 – 8/2, Spokan, WA. PM Ben @ guitarded Saturday Aug 1, new player demos/casual play Saturday Aug 1, 200 point DCI tournament 7pm

• Galacticon, 5/9, Virginia Beach, PM Matt@ Jedicartographer Friday May 9, SW Minis demos/casual play 11am Friday May 9, 150 point DCI constructed tournament 12 noon Saturday May 10, SW Minis demos/casual play 11am Saturday May 10, 200 point DCI tournament 12 noon

• Kublacan, 5/23, Burlingam,CA PM Ryan@ Fisk Saturday May 23, SW Minis demonstration 12-3pm Saturday May 23 Sealed tournametn 3:30.

• Rock-Con: Friday, October 23, Demos and Dynamic Duo pick up events.  Saturday, October 24, 11am Dymanic Duo, 2pm 150 point constructed tournament.

• Organized Kahn Fusion, November 14-15 in Lemoyne, PA.  Saturday November 14 Dynamic Duo 10am. Saturday November 14,  GAW Sealed booster 1pm.  Possible 200 point constructed on Sunday November 15.

As you know, monthly LGS support (league kits) was not in the budget for 2009. I know that you will join me is my effort to have that decision reconsidered for 2010. The best way we can help ourselves in this effort is to continue to report events through the DCI webpage. Now that we have a casual play option, we, as a player community can demonstrate the level of player involvement for Star Wars miniatures.

glad to hear. I plan to do it Thursday, but it's good to know there's a "makeup" if I miss out on Thurs for any reason

Team-mando.gif
"I swear by the soul I don't have, I am going to kill you."
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."
Boba Fett

glad to hear. I plan to do it Thursday, but it's good to know there's a "makeup" if I miss out on Thurs for any reason

Actually, I think all the mass battle events sold out within the first few days, unless I misread the GenCon event listings (which wouldn't be the first time).

Jim, just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work this year, the convention support was greatly improved by your work, and the reports I've seen seem to bear that out.  You've done a tremendous and tireless job, so I thank you!  And to those who ran great events, well done to you as well!  I think we have a great system to build upon for next year.

Okay so it's been 3 months since anythign has been updated here.  Anything new to this point?
Best gaming community in the world. My collection is proof. 2009 SWM RAC member 795 Club member Over 75 Good trades, Zero Negatives You can check out my squads at Bloomilk, or share in more conversations at SWMGAMERS "There is always a choice..."
Jim,

Just wanted to put this out there.  When considering what events to hold at GenCon each year please keep the casual player in mind.  It's nice to have something to play without being concerned with all the stuff that goes into a Championship or Jedi Challenge.  Events like Tile Wars, Dynamic Duo, and sealed events are really nice for the casual crowd.  It would also be nice to see these events ran more than once over the entire Con.  This gives the casual player more opportunities to play these types of events.

Smile
Photobucket
It probably doesn't belong here, but didn't want to start a whole new thread. We talked to Steve Lucinski at Miniature Market this weekend, and he told us that he will be having a booth at GenCon 2010. (Also, he has a deal going on with his RPG books, check his website for details.)
Here is a link to the Orphans list I maintain: http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm Life-sized Tile Wars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAXn5ZwopPc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64M5_J1JHs Geoncon08: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srArBLLHYBQ
Has anyone seen Moses2813/Jim recently?
 Last it looks like he logged on was Feb 17th.
Some RPG and mini http://members.cox.net/ghenghis_ska/Index.shtml
OK, I just received the contract renewal from WOTC today.  The ending date in May 31,2010.  I can support small conventions through that date.  After that I will not be able to help.

Regionals, Championship and GenCon events will be handled by Dean Miller via Gamers.

Thats the latest!
OK, I just received the contract renewal from WOTC today.  The ending date in May 31,2010.  I can support small conventions through that date.  After that I will not be able to help.

Bummer.

Well, I'll send Reed Expos an update and tell them SWM is "off." Since Celebration V is four days after GenCon, I doubt we'd have much of a gaming turnout anyway. Add to that the fact that the game is "dead" as far as consumers are concerned...

At least we tried for CV.

If people want to get together in spare time to do some casual gaming, I'd be up for that!

Well, I'll send Reed Expos an update and tell them SWM is "off." Since Celebration V is four days after GenCon, I doubt we'd have much of a gaming turnout anyway. Add to that the fact that the game is "dead" as far as consumers are concerned...

At least we tried for CV.

If people want to get together in spare time to do some casual gaming, I'd be up for that!

I'm sure there will be gaming tables somewhere in the Fan Hall. With all of the volunteering we're doing this time, we may not have much time for games, but we may drop in from time to time.
Here is a link to the Orphans list I maintain: http://www.desmoinesfanforce.net/Orphans.htm Life-sized Tile Wars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAXn5ZwopPc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64M5_J1JHs Geoncon08: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srArBLLHYBQ