H1-H3: Demon Prince of Undeath Conversion

972 posts / 0 new
Last post
I had an request from Evil Cobra. He wanted to get hold of the high resolution maps that I have created in the Prince of Undeath Conversion Guide in order to use them in MapTools.
I have now zipped them up and uploaded it to the server. You can find them at the following link:
http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documents/H1-H3_Maps.zip
I had an request from Evil Cobra. He wanted to get hold of the high resolution maps that I have created in the Prince of Undeath Conversion Guide in order to use them in MapTools.
I have now zipped them up and uploaded it to the server. You can find them at the following link:
http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documents/H1-H3_Maps.zip

I'm getting a 404 error with this link.
I'm getting a 404 error with this link.

Ok, I changed it to a RAR file instead. I think that will work better.

http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documents/H1-H3_Maps.rar
Myrhdraak,

Did you change anything in the first two files with this last update? Or did you just add the H3 file? Should I download the first ones two?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
Marcio
Myrhdraak,

Did you change anything in the first two files with this last update? Or did you just add the H3 file? Should I download the first ones two?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
Marcio

Only added the H3 one to show the tie in to P1
Thanks, man! Awesome work, as usual!

BTW, I´ll be starting my campaign (using your version of the adventures and MapTools) and I´m worried about the party. I let the players create whatever they wanted and they came up with a Female Dwarven Barbarian, a Male Half-Elf Warlock (Infernal) and a Male Human Rogue. Three strikers! I´m planning to include a fourth player and have him play a cleric or a Warlord, but I´m still waiting for an answer from a friend of mine.

Any advice from you guys? I know I will have to tone down many of the encounters, but should I worry about anything else?

(I´m a loooong time DM - been playing for over 20 years - but this is my first venture into 4e).

Thanks in advance! Cheers!
Don't let people use content from dungeon or dragon magazine.. a lot of that stuff doesn't look over powered but it hasn't been play-tested thoroughly enough. I find that a lot of content my players bring me forces me to up the level even further than what I've already done.
Thanks, Lineov! I´m only allowing free use of the Core material. If anyone wants to use something from other supplements (such as Martial Power), I will have to approve it. I´m also allowing the preview material from PHB2 (since it will be out in a couple of weeks anyway), but I´m staying away from the Dragon/Dungeon material.

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers!
Looks like we have new info on both P3 and E1 here, so we can start planning on how elements will be connected in the future.

I believe it will pay off for us, since the E series seems to link many elements from the previous adventures, as far as we know.

Cheers!
Th previews look pretty good. Both in the shadowfell.....
Blastin has done a great work helping me with spell checking the H1: Orcus Coversion Guide. The new version is now uploaded to the download area.

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
H1 Conversion Guide:
http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documents/H1-H3_Orcus_Conversion.pdf

H2 Conversion Guide:
http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documents/H2_Orcus_Conversion.pdf

H3 Conversion Guide:
http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documents/H3_Orcus_Conversion.pdf

I you want to read our game chronicles you may find them at:
http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/index.htm
Looks like we have new info on both P3 and E1 here, so we can start planning on how elements will be connected in the future.

I believe it will pay off for us, since the E series seems to link many elements from the previous adventures, as far as we know.

Cheers!

E1 sounds intresting. I like the part that people are not coming back when they try to raise them. It would be a great story line if one of the players would die in P3, and when the party tries to use Raise Dead he do not come back. That PC could then be given a temporary new character that have lost someone dear as well and has some clue as to the cause of it, steering the players into E1 to bring back their dead and lost friend
I have now added T1 to T3. Not any major changes, more to help you get all the material in one place when playing the game. I changed the imp in T2 to a quasit instead with some small changes on its powers. In T3 i merged the symbol and statue of Orcus into one obstacle (page 49-53). I also created some new graphics for the final encounter, using the old Mines of Bloodstones adventures from back in the 80's as image source to change the setting from Vecna to Orcus instead (page 57).
T3 is not ready yet as I want to add some stronger ties to the Pyramid of Shadows in there.

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE - DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES
H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

H3 Conversion Guide:

Looks good thus far, are the players meant to run through the horned hold and the sea of shadows?
Looks good thus far, are the players meant to run through the horned hold and the sea of shadows?

In the Horned Hold the PCs find a map that show them the tunnel down to the Sea of Shadows the duergars have been clearing out on behalf of Paldemar. It is up to them if they want to investigate it.
First of all Myrhdraak I wanted to thank you for all of your work. I have found your H1 suggests useful even though I have not chosen to do the full plot "conversion".

Would it be possible to provide a version that is more printer (and ink!) friendly? For example, the border across the top of each page is well done but significantly increases the ink per page.

As H1 is finished (as I see it), I could add that one as a non-graphic rich version, and then H2 when it is finished. However, I have limited space on the web server so I can not put up too many versions. The zipped maps take up quite some space as well.
I'll also gladly do an quick edit/spellcheck to H2 when it's done.
Currently I'm busy adjusting the KoTS for my campaign. These PDF's help a lot, even though its going to be about Shar and not Orcus.

But... If you do the Water Cave and gain the vellum and shield they can be used in the negotiations with the Hobgoblin War chief. If you succeed he will leave the Keep with all the Hobs. So...doesn't that mean there will be no more encounters in the Keep any more? Throwing away XP and thus having the party get to weak for Kalarel? There are several added encounters here and there, but will they suffice to balance it out?
Currently I'm busy adjusting the KoTS for my campaign. These PDF's help a lot, even though its going to be about Shar and not Orcus.

But... If you do the Water Cave and gain the vellum and shield they can be used in the negotiations with the Hobgoblin War chief. If you succeed he will leave the Keep with all the Hobs. So...doesn't that mean there will be no more encounters in the Keep any more? Throwing away XP and thus having the party get to weak for Kalarel? There are several added encounters here and there, but will they suffice to balance it out?

There are only three areas with Hobgoblins. Area 12, 13, and 14. Area 12 they will have to get past when getting down to the second level. If they turn right instead of left they will get 1002 XP for negotiating with the Warchief (versus 802 in the original encounter). They would then loose the XP from Area 13 (790 XP), i.e. the difference is 590 XP. Compared to the original adventure I have added several extra encounters so the problem is more likely to be that the PCs level up earlier than in the original adventure. I do not think 590 XP divided on 5 characters (118 XP) will make a huge difference in the final encounter when they face Kalarel.
I'll also gladly do an quick edit/spellcheck to H2 when it's done.

Thanks, greatly appreciated. I have had too much to do at work the last couple of weeks so I have not been able to put much time in finishing up H2. Hope to be able to do some work during the weekend.
no hurry man. I know how annoying it can be when real life interferes with gaming...
So... Nightwyrm Fortress is finally out! Did anyone get it already?

Does it really tie into the whole Orcus storyline like the rumors were signalling? Should we expand this little adaptation to include the P series?

My books will take forever to get here (I live in Brazil, after all) so, yes, I´m anxious...

Cheers!
So... Nightwyrm Fortress is finally out! Did anyone get it already?

Does it really tie into the whole Orcus storyline like the rumors were signalling? Should we expand this little adaptation to include the P series?

My books will take forever to get here (I live in Brazil, after all) so, yes, I´m anxious...

Cheers!

Just got it. Have not read through it in detail but reading the background and the ending it seems like it could fit in very well with Orcus machinations to take control of all the souls of the dead. A cool ending meeting Urishtar a Level 20 Shadow Dragon. Will be a nice climax!
Yes! That does sound cool! :P

By the way, I´m about to start DMing this (it was supposed to have happened already, but we had some time issues) and, since my players are not all that familiar with 4e rules, I thought of starting with Kobold Hall. Sorta like a tutorial to run them through.

However, I´m really trying to tie the dragon with the whole Kalarel/Cult/Shadowfell thing. Anyone got any suggestions? I had some ideas, but none of them since to fit right.

I appreciate any help!

Cheers!
Yes! That does sound cool! :P

By the way, I´m about to start DMing this (it was supposed to have happened already, but we had some time issues) and, since my players are not all that familiar with 4e rules, I thought of starting with Kobold Hall. Sorta like a tutorial to run them through.

However, I´m really trying to tie the dragon with the whole Kalarel/Cult/Shadowfell thing. Anyone got any suggestions? I had some ideas, but none of them since to fit right.

I appreciate any help!

Cheers!

If I would have used it, I think I would have changed the dragon to a solo hobgoblin leader reporting to Irontooth and sending slaves to the kobolds of Winterhaven. Use the Hobgoblin Hand of Bane (700 XP) and turn him into a level 3 solo monster instead (750 XP). You could probably use much of the powers as is, just reducing some of the stats.
Thanks, that´s a good idea!

However, I did want to keep the dragon around. Although Kobold Hall is not that great as an adventure, I think the dragon at the end adds some "Whatthe...?" effect. If I know my players well, it´ll scare the bejeezus out of them. :evillaugh

I thought of a Young Shadow Dragon, but the Draconomicon only brings a larger version. Is there a Young Shadow Dragon around? Or should I just make one up?

Another idea was that the dragon could be supplying Kalarel with his kobold minions, in order to slow trade routes to Winterahaven by attacking caravans and keep an eye on meddling adventurers. Perhaps the young dragon was the one who uncovered the Rod of Ruin and sent it to Kalarel. Too farfetched?
Thanks, that´s a good idea!

However, I did want to keep the dragon around. Although Kobold Hall is not that great as an adventure, I think the dragon at the end adds some "Whatthe...?" effect. If I know my players well, it´ll scare the bejeezus out of them. :evillaugh

I thought of a Young Shadow Dragon, but the Draconomicon only brings a larger version. Is there a Young Shadow Dragon around? Or should I just make one up?

Another idea was that the dragon could be supplying Kalarel with his kobold minions, in order to slow trade routes to Winterahaven by attacking caravans and keep an eye on meddling adventurers. Perhaps the young dragon was the one who uncovered the Rod of Ruin and sent it to Kalarel. Too farfetched?

The later could work. Make the dragon a servant of Kalarel (or rather of Orcus but helping Kalarel). The dragon was sent to uncover the Rod of Ruin by Paldemar based on the knowledge he had gained. The dragon was then ordered to support Kalarel in his efforts. Kalarel sent him to the kobolds to use them to get more slaves sent to Irontooth, while guarding the roads from Fallcreast to Winterhaven - securing no trouble was coming that way.

I would not use a White Dragon either. I had to turn my Shadow dragon into a Very Young version as the Young version provided in Nightwyrm Fortress was Level 8. A 3rd Level version would become a Wyrmling (which is elite and not solo) but maybe adding some kobolds as well would make an interesting encounter.
Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress provided a Young, Adult and Eldar version of a Shadow Dragon (Thank you very much WoC!).
Based on the Level 8 Young Shadow Dragon I have updated my "Very Young" Shadow Dragon. It now has the Shadow Walk capability which will make the encounter more fun. (Page 42-43)

Show
H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

H3 Conversion Guide:

The later could work. Make the dragon a servant of Kalarel (or rather of Orcus but helping Kalarel). The dragon was sent to uncover the Rod of Ruin by Paldemar based on the knowledge he had gained. The dragon was then ordered to support Kalarel in his efforts. Kalarel sent him to the kobolds to use them to get more slaves sent to Irontooth, while guarding the roads from Fallcreast to Winterhaven - securing no trouble was coming that way.

Yes, I believe I´ll go with this one. The only two strings that were not attached to me in the whole storyline were 1) how the kobols got involved (I know Irontooth was sent to lead them, but it didn´t quite convice me); and 2) how Kalarael got his hands on the Rod of Ruin.

I´ll post the outcome as soon as we start rolling some dice!
First of all, I'd like to express my gratitude to Myrhdraak. This is an excellent conversion and my players are having a lot of fun with it, having finished KoTS and now working our way through TL.

I had a couple of ideas I wanted to throw out there and see what your opinions are. First, I really like the addition of the shadow dragon instead of a green dragon in the well of demons, but with their being another shadow dragon in assault on nightwyrm fortress, what do you think about making the shadow dragon in TL an offspring of Urishtar from AoNF? Unfortunately I have only just got the new adventure and haven't finished reading through all of it yet myself though so I'm still unsure what direction to take this.

Also, I have a wizard in my group, and I was considering the idea of having the mages of saruun invite the wizard into their order to replace paldemar. It seems to me that the mages would be very interested in having a sort of "field operative" in their ranks whose focus was to identify and pursue opportunities outside of the seven pillared hall. I'm not sure what responsibilities or benefits joining the mages would bring though. Any ideas?
First of all, I'd like to express my gratitude to Myrhdraak. This is an excellent conversion and my players are having a lot of fun with it, having finished KoTS and now working our way through TL.

I had a couple of ideas I wanted to throw out there and see what your opinions are. First, I really like the addition of the shadow dragon instead of a green dragon in the well of demons, but with their being another shadow dragon in assault on nightwyrm fortress, what do you think about making the shadow dragon in TL an offspring of Urishtar from AoNF? Unfortunately I have only just got the new adventure and haven't finished reading through all of it yet myself though so I'm still unsure what direction to take this.

Also, I have a wizard in my group, and I was considering the idea of having the mages of saruun invite the wizard into their order to replace paldemar. It seems to me that the mages would be very interested in having a sort of "field operative" in their ranks whose focus was to identify and pursue opportunities outside of the seven pillared hall. I'm not sure what responsibilities or benefits joining the mages would bring though. Any ideas?

I am working on the diary of Paldemar so maybe a statement there could indicate who sent the Shadow Dragon. It would be a nice revenge set up in the Nightwyrm adventure if the PCs killed of the shadow dragon offspring in H2.

As to the Mages of Saruun I would seriously not recommend tying the PCs up with the Mages (they are obviously not good, which might be an issue if you have a good party). It will also tie them to the Thunderspire mountain and I get no indication that the full story will revolve around the mages, rather the opposite.
I have now completed Paldemar's Diary that gives a detail view on what Paldemar has been up to, as well as linking it to the Pyramid of Shadows (see page 56-57). As many players probably can run through the whole H2 without maybe picking up on the overall plotline this gives them a chance to sum up the adventure and also gives some foreshadowing to H3 but also P3.
Any comments or additions that ought to be in there?

Show
PLEASE NOTE THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS IN HERE -
DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY PLAYING THE ADVENTURES

H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

H3 Conversion Guide:

Hi Myrhdraak,

I just wanted to say what a fantastic piece of work you've put together here. Thank you for sharing the fruits of your labour with the wider community.

I've been running H1 for my children (I've just got back into D&D after a long hiatus and this is their first time playing). I'm definitely going to use a number of your ideas for tying the H-modules together - though I'll be converting your conversion to accomodate a slightly less gruesome and harrowing story and feel (my kids are a bit young for too much undeath detail!)

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your creative genius, and I'll pitch in with any ideas that occur to me; though I'm lagging quite away behind your production curve at present!

Cheers,

Lionshanks
The Pyramid of Shadows is a trans-dimensional place somewhere between the normal world and the Shadowfell. I wanted to convey that strangeness by introducing teleportation portals within the Pyramid (as I took them
away in the Shrine of Undeath in H2).
Back in the 80’s my gaming group really enjoyed the module “The Island of Castanamir”, which had a similar concept of strange rooms tied together by portals. Here I have done something similar. Enjoy! ☺

Show

H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

H3 Conversion Guide:

I have now added Level 2 of the revised Pyramid of Shadow map. In the middle is the Pyramid Nexus room which has the entrance to the top level of the pyramid, the Sanctuary of Light.

Any suggestions on what threat this encounter should include?

I also would like to draw a small back story of the changes in Fallcrest when the Pyramid of Shadow suddenly appeared in the sky, with maybe one or two encounters that builds up the anticipation before entering the Pyramid. Anyone who has already done some work on Fallcrest?

Thirdly I need to figure out a way for the PCs to reach the Pyramid floating in the sky. Any suggestions?

Show

H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

H3 Conversion Guide:

I have started on the prologue to H3: Pyramid of Shadows

Arat Karavakos poured through the tomes of the myriad of bookshelves within the Library of Whispers. He had to find it. Everything depended on it. But where was it? He looked down from the staircase he was using to reach the top shelves. Down below he could see the hungry stares from the three Eaters of Knowledge who always accompanied him. It had not always been like this. They had not always been here, but he had grown used to them like a couple of stray dogs. Come think of it, he could hardly remember how his life had been before they came. It was all hazy, almost insubstantial. He had to stay focused, avoid the distracting whispers inside his head from the servants of Vecna. They would never find it, but he had to, his whole existence depended on it. If he could just find it, everything would change. The problem was that he no longer remembered what he was looking for – it was all lost to him. But he knew that if he found it he knew he would recognize it, that he was sure off…

Show

H1 Conversion Guide:

H2 Conversion Guide:

H3 Conversion Guide:

Thirdly I need to figure out a way for the PCs to reach the Pyramid floating in the sky. Any suggestions?

Hi Myrhdraak,

A question and a suggestion.

Suggestion to the above; In Fallcrest the Tower of the Septarch (Area 22, DMG pg 204) has a teleportaiton circle. Perhaps you could use this (as one of the ways) to get the PCs to the Pyramid. Maybe they find the teleportation ritual amongst Pademar's possessions.

Question: It's been bothering me why the silver key would still be in Maldrick's possession in the Well of Demons. Once they completed their part of the deal with Paldemar (to get the key for him) and he completed his end allowing them to occupy the Well of Demons, right?) why would he leave this very important device with the gnolls? a) anyone (such as the adventurers) who happened along (OK, so they've got to fight through the well first ;) ) could get it and have an instant guide to Paldemar's lair, and b) how would Paldemar and his allies get in and out of the Shrine?

Again, great work! Thanks.
So is part 2 done? If so I can do the editing, if you like.
Good, because in my read through it needs it badly. I thought about offering my own services, but since I knew someone had already offered, I remained silent.

I am going to be using this for my group. We just finished KotS last month, and they all voted that they'd prefer a "re-write" of what happened to them in the game to make everything flow well together. I won't be using the cult in winterhaven as that was pretty major, and I didn't find this until they were done with KotS, I thought it would be pretty easy to leave out. They decided to have Splug join them full time, so he can fill in a lot of the background with the reavers and Kalarel.

So far I'm pretty impressed. Besides some fairly simple editing, its a very impressive conversion.
So is part 2 done? If so I can do the editing, if you like.

Thanks, I will give you a link to the doc file as soon as I have uploaded it