RIDICULOUS House Rules - A Place to Vent About Your Crazy DM

312 posts / 0 new
Last post
.
Hey There!!

:rolleye2: Got a DM that's great, but has a few HOUSE RULES that get on your nerves?--rules that don't make any sense , are inconsistent, or seem to 'POP' out of no where?

WELL!!! This is the place to vent about it!

Yup, that's right! By posting in this thread, it is assumed that you have the utmost respect for your DM. Thus, this gives a safe place to share and resolve your specific issues. So, instead of holding it in until you're ready to explode :headexplo or you develop a nervous twitch , you should LET US KNOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!! :surrender



.
[i]Links[/i]:

The original thread, that got replies in the thousands.

ENWorld's copy following of the same theme.

Deekin's copy after the original thread got locked.

.
[i]Memorable Quotes[/i]:

"Venting felt good." --Johnathan_Vagabond

"Why not just start playing dungeons and dayjobs"? --Blinden

"Then there was a DM who said, You see a horse moving at the speed of light" --Mike the DM

"That's terrible. Your DM needs to be shot. In the face. With a hammer." --green_yawgmoth



Note: Again by posting in this thread the user should NOT assume all risks of injury :fight!:. If you are a DM reading this thread, these posts are not intended to flame , insult , disrespect or destroy our beloved DMs. As players we are thankful to have DMs out there willing to do so much work for us . After all, . . . without DMs, the game would not exist! However, despite how much we love you , it is worth while to have a healthy place to bring issues out into the open. So, players, . . . LET LOOSE!

However, PLEASE refrain from vulgar language. This thread is NOT intended to insult our DMs. Please tell your side of the story in good taste. Inappropriate posts will be REPORTED.
I'll start us off again...just like old times ;)

Our group has gone through many changes, but we have a particular friend that has been our core DM. Great DM and is known for being well thought out. However, like many of us, can be very stubborn!

One rule that stuck around for ages (though in various forms), was in regards to levels. If you were a new player, you would come in at one level lower than the lowest level character. In addition, if you carried a character over from a previous game, you would sometimes come in at a level higher than everyone else. On the other hand, if you ever changed characters, you would come in at the bottom like a new player; if you did this after dying, you would come in at 2 levels lower than the lowest!

As you can imagine, there grew quite a spread of players....that one guy that was several levels higher than everyone else and that poor chum who was perhaps 7 levels lower!

Fun times :D
Roll d20+spell level+modifier for spell DC. Roll a 20, double damage if a damage spell or perhaps something extra otherwise. Roll a 1 spell fizzles, as in, so sorry so sad, no spell.

I've gotten a 20 here and there. Charmed a kraken, but I've also rolled a 1 which because my spell did not work, the party couldn't escape and a TPK resulted. Which do you think I remember or care about more?

The DM knows I don't like this rule, despite getting the 20 and charming a kraken the first time it applied.

I blame a former roleplaying buddy of his who moved down south whom he visited one time. It was his ridiculous house rule.
Support Cedric Diggory, the real Hogwarts Champion!
Recently looking for a game I got sent a 13 page "house rules" document that included such gems as
halflings suffer -1 to all rolls in a day without a “masterwork” breakfast, and -2 to all rolls if they also miss brunch or “elevensies.”

He also required a paladin to play in every game. Yarg.

I stopped browsing quickly and decided to stay far, far away. This is no small document either- we're talking 10,071 words, small font, no margins.
This one DM I knew that used a ton of Smilies in his online documents.

It was tough to take him seriously.
Wow, people who play Magical Teaparty Make-Believe Time bashing people who play Magical Live-Action Make-Believe Time? It's like I'm really on the Internet! - Rustmonster, commenting on RPGers vs. LARPers
Got 3, last has a story:

1: Role-master critical/fumble charts in 2nd Ed D&D.
It was fun/amusing at times but very frustrating.

2: Random encounters ( 2nd ED, same game with Role-master crit/fumble)
Every creature ffrom manuals and Dragon magazine was a possible Random encounter. TPK's from random encounters is annoying.

3: Falling (3.5), if you don't have FF or try to tumble to reduce damage etc... then the fall distance doesn't count as movement. This gem appeared so that a BBEG could get away, an on the spot rule determination, which then became a mainstay for that adventure until....

My character was falling, last round fell 300 feet per the falling rules. I was at 3 HP's, used a quick stand skill from CoScoundrel and took of running and escaped the BBEG and his flying mount, because he couldn't get turned around quickly enough.

DM of course indicated that you can't move after falling, oh how quickly they forget as the BBEG would have been defeated weeks earlier if that was the case.
Recently looking for a game I got sent a 13 page "house rules" document that included such gems as


He also required a paladin to play in every game. Yarg.

I stopped browsing quickly and decided to stay far, far away. This is no small document either- we're talking 10,071 words, small font, no margins.

May I see those rediculous house rules, if you still have a copy? Unlikely, true; but I might get a chuckle.
GM created home-brew race of monsters. Regardless of what damage was inflicted it would only take 1HP of damage per hit.

10 minutes of hack'n'slash later GM intervenes.

GM: You've got to run away, or this will take too long.
Player: Why? I've hit him 10 times now.
GM: Yeah, well, he's got 1000HPs !!!
Player: WTF?!!!
no power gaming, this one stinks, and no better roleplaying than the dm, as an actor "Eye gots me ah edge on da lota O dem":P
GM created home-brew race of monsters. Regardless of what damage was inflicted it would only take 1HP of damage per hit.

10 minutes of hack'n'slash later GM intervenes.

GM: You've got to run away, or this will take too long.
Player: Why? I've hit him 10 times now.
GM: Yeah, well, he's got 1000HPs !!!
Player: WTF?!!!

That's a level adjustment of about 50, just in hit dice!
Probably got the idea from 2nd Ed creature; Yeth Hound iirc
Not 100% sure but basically they took only 1 hp damage per hit or 1 point per plus of weapon..or something like that anyway.
Of course they only had about 20 some hp's which makes a big difference.
no power gaming, this one stinks, and no better roleplaying than the dm, as an actor "Eye gots me ah edge on da lota O dem":P

Ahahaha, I love DMs like this, simply because of the awe-inspiring amount of dumb they show when describing "power gaming".

Also, glad to see ya back, Bevier! :D
Ahahaha, I love DMs like this, simply because of the awe-inspiring amount of dumb they show when describing "power gaming".

Also, glad to see ya back, Bevier! :D

+1.

With that said any DM who enforces any effect other than 'you miss' on a natural 1 attack roll is automatically lol worthy.

Oh and it gets annoying when seemingly every energy attack manages to destroy a significant amount of enemy treasure, even though it's supposed to be only 1 item, only if they roll a 1, and not necessarily destroyed assuming they follow such an obscure and pointless rule in the first place. As if blasting didn't suck hard enough already.
I had a DM once whom I managed to convince to allow me to have musket in his game. He then made house rules to reduce the effective range of the weapon and increased the reload time of the weapon to 5 or 6 full round actions. I had to purchase a custom magical enhancement and take the rapid reload feat just to be effective in combat :hoppingma
One time, I had a DM who had some... interesting rules. One regarded acid.

Specifically, the whole "acid does damage to items and objects" thing. Nope. If you got hit with acid (Like say with Acid Fog) or fell into acid, nothing bad happens until you stop being exposed to acid: then every item you have that isn't immune to acid or somehow protected makes a Fort save, that increases in difficulty every round of exposure, or is destroyed. Of course, non-magic items get no save. (Think DC of 10 for one round or exposure, and the longest I saw, 6 rounds, was DC 34.)

To top it off, quite obviously, acid weapons, spells, and such were heavily restricted for players, but for NPC's, not so much.
Hey, I'm a DM and would you guys think if these house rules where in your game, they would be fine:

  • All players must stay at about equal power levels
  • You must check with me for each PrC you are going to enter
  • Divine Casters must have their Divine Focus with them to prepare spells
  • Sorcerers get a bonus metamagic feat every fourth level, starting at level 4, and d6 HD
  • Fighters get an ability that is useful, and fills their dead levels. (If you want, I'll post it later)
  • Massive damage threshold=half your total hp. DC equals 1/5 damage+10.
  • Clobbered: If, in a single hit, you take half your starting hitpoints at the beginning of the round, you may only take a standard action for your next turn
  • All Druids must use the shapechange variant from PHBII, but in return they get an Animal Companion. They may trade both for WS.
  • It is reccomended to give me a background, 28 title, one 12 font empty line in between, and size 12 font indented 1 page document.
Ditch massive damage rules completely. Random auto death that tends to just be a free vorpal effect is completely pointless and really doesn't serve any purpose except to frustrate and prevent attachment. That includes the clobbered bit. Otherwise fine.
I am a DM myself.. I have some "strange" rules:

1. Clobbered: If you get hit for half of your original HP take a dc15 fort save or you can only take a single action next turn (+ swift)
2. Paladins tend to bully the party.. And I dislike detect evil. So I hardly ever allow paladins in my campaigns. When I do I try to give them a break though.
3. I don't allow Crusaders from the tome of battle because they take away everybody's thunder. I know oppinions are devided about this, but my players all agree.
4. In some campaigns I allow really well thought-and-worked-out characters an extra +1 in a fitting ability score.
5. I have some rules about attacking limbs.. I hardly ever use them though.
6. Critical misses are sometimes followed up by a balance check to prevent the character in question to fall over.
I am a DM myself.. I have some "strange" rules:

1. Clobbered: If you get hit for half of your original HP take a dc15 fort save or you can only take a single action next turn (+ swift)
2. Paladins tend to bully the party.. And I dislike detect evil. So I hardly ever allow paladins in my campaigns. When I do I try to give them a break though.
3. I don't allow Crusaders from the tome of battle because they take away everybody's thunder. I know oppinions are devided about this, but my players all agree.
4. In some campaigns I allow really well thought-and-worked-out characters an extra +1 in a fitting ability score.
5. I have some rules about attacking limbs.. I hardly ever use them though.
6. Critical misses are sometimes followed up by a balance check to prevent the character in question to fall over.

I hate you.
:P
Support Cedric Diggory, the real Hogwarts Champion!
I suppose I can post my house rules here:
  • spot and listen are one skill: perception. MS and hide are now stealth.
  • Spellcraft is no longer a skill; K: arcana lets you ID sorc/wiz spells, religion for cleric/paladin, nature for druid/ranger, and planes for warlocks/shadowcasters.
  • If you take more than half your hp in damage from a single hit, fort DC 10+ 1/10 damage or be stunned for a round.
  • Any books are allowed, provided you get the okay from me first.
  • I use the corruption/depravity rules from HoH.
Spellcraft is no longer a skill; K: arcana lets you ID sorc/wiz spells, religion for cleric/paladin, nature for druid/ranger, and planes for warlocks/shadowcasters.

Umm, there are other things that spellcraft is useful for other than identification. Did you roll those functions into Knowledge (arcana) as well?
Umm, there are other things that spellcraft is useful for other than identification. Did you roll those functions into Knowledge (arcana) as well?

Yes. or more accurately, I rolled them into the appropriate knowledge skill. ID a potion of a cleric spell would be k: religion, for example. It makes the knowledges nicer to have, and makes magic a little more diverse.
Also, glad to see ya back, Bevier! :D

Thanks for the welcome

Good to be back. Anyone else have trouble transferring their account to Gleemax?
My DM in the current ravenloft game has some very odd character gen rules!

first of roll 3d6 6 times (not too bad, roll 4 keep 3 is better in my book)
and you couldnt assign them, you rolled 3d6 6 times, first roll was STR, then DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA etc.

weirdest of all was was that you chose your class BEFORE you rolled your scores, and had to stick with it.

his justification for this was Ravenloft has its crap wizards as well, to which I argued a wizard with an INT score of 8 would not finish his apprenticeship either because he was too dumb or his teacher found his mediocre intelect annoying, I argued that people tend to do what they are good at, they choose careers that make the most of their abilities, but this fell on deaf ears!

So now my awakened flesh Golem, is the most intelligent character in the party.

this combined with his dragonball Z style DMing can be quite frustrating! (by dragonball Z I mean we spent 2 months real time sat in a hut waiting for a fight that lasted about a minute of game time) but its hard being a DM as well as lots of work, so my salutations go out to him as well as my gratitude (the strangely empty sessions have led to some truly amazing conversations and new expressions which live on and will live on for all time, such as the references to the "the devils modem" and the superhero known as Lamp).
Your DM hates his players. He wants all the power. I'm an advocate for dice rolling character creation, but that's rediculous. It's even worse than pre3E since even though 3d6 in order was the official rule, you got to pick your class after your roll. There was a reason pre3E 4d6 drop lowest was a common house rule; RAW dice rolling at the time sucked. 3d6 straight still does.
Support Cedric Diggory, the real Hogwarts Champion!
first of roll 3d6 6 times (not too bad, roll 4 keep 3 is better in my book)
and you couldnt assign them, you rolled 3d6 6 times, first roll was STR, then DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA etc.

weirdest of all was was that you chose your class BEFORE you rolled your scores, and had to stick with it.

Gygax is back; and this time... it's personal.

D&D: The Reckoning
When I first joined my group, they had all been taught by someone who barely knew the rules. So I learned on some VERY strange rules, and then came here. A few hard knocks later, I retaught the REAL rules to all my friends. Here are some of the ones we were playing with:

-Armor check penalties apply to ALL attack rolls. This makes fighting in heavy armor infeasible. No one wears plate. Chain shirts rule the earth.

-You don't have to make a weapon +1 to give it a magical property (such as Flaming). I'm still trying to talk people out of this one.

-Elves are immune to the effects of alcohol. This was inspired by Tolkien, and not any actual D&D rules.

-For reasons I am still unable to fathom, everyone kept being outclassed by the barbarian. Yes, this includes the Cleric, Druid, AND Wizard.

-You don't have to take racial hit dice. You just slap your level adjustment onto some class levels and you have your ELC. When I told them they had to take racial hit dice, they gave themselves the hit dice for free. ARGH, I have bad memories involving a Minotaur Barbarian with Monkeygrip.

-Count Dravda
My DM in the current ravenloft game has some very odd character gen rules!

first of roll 3d6 6 times (not too bad, roll 4 keep 3 is better in my book)
and you couldnt assign them, you rolled 3d6 6 times, first roll was STR, then DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA etc.

weirdest of all was was that you chose your class BEFORE you rolled your scores, and had to stick with it.

We did this once, except we rolled a die to determine our class, race, weapon, and gender (each individually). I ended up with a halfling rogue with 21 DEX who fights with a bolas :D.
Zammm = Batman. Bronies unite. "I'd call you a genius, but I'm in the room."
It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.
Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
First I'll review the houserules presented, but I'll hide them in sblocks to not overly derail the thread:
Half_Dragon_Infernal's Houserules
Hey, I'm a DM and would you guys think if these house rules where in your game, they would be fine:

  • All players must stay at about equal power levels
  • You must check with me for each PrC you are going to enter
  • Divine Casters must have their Divine Focus with them to prepare spells
  • Sorcerers get a bonus metamagic feat every fourth level, starting at level 4, and d6 HD
  • Fighters get an ability that is useful, and fills their dead levels. (If you want, I'll post it later)
  • Massive damage threshold=half your total hp. DC equals 1/5 damage+10.
  • Clobbered: If, in a single hit, you take half your starting hitpoints at the beginning of the round, you may only take a standard action for your next turn
  • All Druids must use the shapechange variant from PHBII, but in return they get an Animal Companion. They may trade both for WS.
  • It is reccomended to give me a background, 28 title, one 12 font empty line in between, and size 12 font indented 1 page document.

1. Nigh unenforceable and I'm not entirely sure what you mean. You mean for one character not to be built "overly" optimized if other players don't know how (or want) to optimize? It can be really hard for some players to "turn off" their optimization thinking.

2. Fine.

3. Their holy symbol? I don't think you even need to mention this, they have it anyway don't they? A written rule for something so minor is probably just going to raise more flags than it is worth.

4. I don't know how this really affects balance, but you probably still won't see many Sorcerers.

5. ?

6. I don't personally like massive damage rules or doing doing fractional math in general.

7. By "starting hit points" do you mean total maximum hit points? I could live with that I guess. Doesn't seem like it will come up frequently enough to be an issue, but if it does come up frequently then characters probably have a high mortality rate. If you mean "half of the hit points you currently have" then I utterly hate that rule as it penalizes fighter types for doing their job and being up where the action is, and engenders "cowardice" by players constantly demanding healing or to run away because they might get disabled.

8. I guess that's fine, just a little weird with the wording.

9. This is much too specific. Really the only thing that would make me question gaming with you is this last one, because it makes you seem like a control freak. Just suggest that players write "a backstory" and take whatever you get I would say.


I'm not sure if Gentlemanic wanted feedback at all, but here is mine.
Gentlemanic's Houserules
1. Clobbered: If you get hit for half of your original HP take a dc15 fort save or you can only take a single action next turn (+ swift)
2. Paladins tend to bully the party.. And I dislike detect evil. So I hardly ever allow paladins in my campaigns. When I do I try to give them a break though.
3. I don't allow Crusaders from the tome of battle because they take away everybody's thunder. I know oppinions are devided about this, but my players all agree.
4. In some campaigns I allow really well thought-and-worked-out characters an extra +1 in a fitting ability score.
5. I have some rules about attacking limbs.. I hardly ever use them though.
6. Critical misses are sometimes followed up by a balance check to prevent the character in question to fall over.

1. As before, if "half your original hit points" means max total, I'm OK with that. Otherwise no, see above sblock.

2. ? If you don't like Detect Evil, what about giving Paladins extra smiting in place of that ability?

3. Well, they do tend to be a very strong class.

4. That seems very subjective, and somewhat like favoritism for being a good writer and/or good optimizer. If they are a good optimizer then they don't really need a bonus anything.

5. If you don't use them, then why keep them? Called Shots in general are problematic I feel.

6. I hate any sort of critical miss rule. It unfairly penalizes higher level fighter-types. Why should the Fighter with a BAB of +11 have a much higher probability of messing up in a round (and falling, in your ruling) than a level 1 Fighter? If a Wizard rolls a '1' on a ranged touch attack roll, does he fall over? I just don't see how it is in any way beneficial to the game or conducive to fun, unless you like laughing at failures.


For my actual contribution to the thread: I had a DM once who made rulings when rules weren't entirely clear. But then when the same issue came up in subsequent sessions, he ruled differently because he has apparently forgotten his first ruling, and was pretty resistant to being told he had ruled differently in the past. This isn't a houserule per se, but it's a pain in the butt when the rules change for seemingly no reason.
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19670890/Keep_on_the_Shadowfell_Character_Errata
his justification for this was Ravenloft has its crap wizards as well, to which I argued a wizard with an INT score of 8 would not finish his apprenticeship either because he was too dumb or his teacher found his mediocre intelect annoying, I argued that people tend to do what they are good at, they choose careers that make the most of their abilities, but this fell on deaf ears!

Crap wizard? You can't even cast Level 0 Spells with that. That pretty much makes you not a wizard. Even in prior editions, that falls below the minimum stat for the class.
I've only had two complaints about DMs in the past:

1) In a 2e game, we almost lost the party's healer. She was standing in the doorway to a room when she was horribly injured by a skeleton. I killed the skeleton, and then said, "I'm standing between her and the rest of the skeletons so that nothing can get to her."

The skeletons walked right past me and clobbered her into the negatives (but luckily not fatally). I wasn't allowed to make any attempt to stop this. The skeletons didn't even have to attack me first. (I was uninjured in that fight.)

2) I utterly loathe Point Buy character generation. I have more fun with 3d6 6 times; assign to stats based on the order you rolled. Point Buy is too bland for my taste.

As a DM, I use the following House Rules:

1) Everyone in the party has the same amount of experience, at all times. New players. Rerolled characters. Doesn't matter, all characters have the same XP.

-Some people may object to inconsistent players getting the same reward as regular players, but the flip side is this: if you miss a game, you don't get a share of treasure from that game.

2) HP Rolls: A roll of less than half on a HP roll is considered a roll of half.

-Ex: If a Barbarian rolls a 3 on his d12 HP roll, he treats it as a roll of 6 instead. (I like this rule since it allows for variety, but doesn't screw a character for an entire game over one bad roll.)

-This rule is modified for villains. Meat shields do not get any benefit at all. "Boss Fights" use this rule as normal. Reoccuring villains treat low rolls as 3/4 maximum for their HD. The BBEG either uses the reoccuring villain rules, or (if the party has had particularly high treasure rolls) simply gets maximum HP.

3) Stat Generation: Jason's Evil Little Choice

-While the stat generation varies based on the power level I want to set for the game (typically 4d6, take 3; assign as desired), I always include the opportunity for a bonus to starting stats. You must choose which option you will use before you roll your stats. You have 3 options:

-+3 to a stat of your choice.
-Roll 1d4. You gain that many points to add to your stats, divided however you wish.
-Roll 1d6. As 1d4, but you only get bonus points on a roll of 4-6. Rolls of 1-3 earn no bonus points.

-In no circumstance may a stat start above 18 before racial modifiers. (Thus, if you take the +3 option, and apply it to a score of 16, your stat increases to 18, but you lose the final bonus point.) Interestingly, most players choose the final option, despite the 50% miss chance.

4) Critical Success & Fumbles.

-Yes, I use these rules. Yes, I know they supposedly screw fighters and other combat characters. Yet, for some reason, fate has only ever deemed that the group's casters suffer from these effects. My group has not complained. The general assumption: if you have a 1/20 chance of succeeding wildly, you also have a 1/20 chance of failing miserably.

-I also allow a Ref Save (DC 15) to avoid the effects of a Critical Fumble. Critical Success & Fumble rules apply equally to players and NPC's alike.

_________________________________________

My current campaign is highly experimental & heavily house ruled (but very popular). It includes the following elements.

1) Low magic. Skill based magic system.
2) Class Bonus to Defense. (Unearthed Arcana)
3) Armor as DR (Unearthed Arcana)
4) Weapon Groups (Unearthed Arcana)*
5) Fighters now apply Weapon Focus (and any feat that uses WF as a pre-requisite) to weapon groups, not individual weapons. Other classes use these feats as normal.

*Slightly modified. I don't use the "Exotic Weapons" rules. Instead, the exotic weapons are just added to their lists as normal. Two-Handed Weapons that could be used one-handed (ex: Bastard Sword) via an Exotic Weapon feat now gain that benefit when you apply the Weapon Focus feat to that weapon.

It has been very successful so far, and when we return to D&D, some of these features may be implemented more regularly.
Jason, anyone who picks #2 for your evil choice is a dimwit. Turning a 15 into an 18 is a huge boon. I can kinda see picking #3 if you have some bad gamblers in your game, though. I'd never take it because I'd rather take the sure thing +3 over the 50% 4, 5, 6. Maybe if I had 2 shots at it I take the d6 roll, but certainly not one.

Edit: I just finished taking psychological statistics, so my knowledge of all things maybe is at an all-time high.
As a DM I don’t think I have any ridiculous rules. I try to go by the book as much as possible. The only variant I use is in character creation. I give my players 16, 14, 14, 12, 12, and 10, to put where ever they want with 2 points to assign where ever they want. This way every one is roughly equal in power and they have the ability to have an 18.

I started this rule after I watched one player roll three 18s with his lowest stat being a 13. The other player rolled a 4 (which I bumped up to an 8) and nothing higher than a 15.

I was in a game once where I my DM said if we didn’t have at least 1 point in a knowledge we didn’t know anything about the subject at all. So if you didn’t have any ranks in knowledge religion you didn’t know anything about undead or you own patron deity. No such thing as common knowledge.

She insisted we all needed to buy at least 2 ranks in knowledge religion because this was going to be a church politics game. She didn’t realize what a huge investment that was for an Int 8 fighter.
I Dont know why alot of you are complaining about simple arguements or make simple commints like
At least 1 paladin per game.
Paladins are not bad, if your DM is lame vs there CoD then play a GrayGuard and be able to bypass it. that is IF your the Paladin person in the group

Little things like this

Anyways worst thing a DM Has done with Ridiculous house rules?

1) 5d6 Reroll 1,2 And roll 8 collums keep any 6 you want place in whatever order you want
Im more Hardcore i prever 32 Point buy or w/e not having godly Stats. No office.

Giveing players DOUBLE Experiance then what they should have.

For crying out loud the Norm XP Table = I Kill Orc tell im level 12! YAY!,

Again im kinda hardcore. I Prever to be Challange not look at the ridiculously Easy time spent to play the game. but i dont want the game to be so hardcore that its "I Make a character" "Dies auto death 1 second into game"

Crap.

Allso the Houserule the FORCES a player to play a Certain class/Race. I Dont mind if he wants 1 player to be a certain class/race, or something like "I Prever Good Aligment in this campain not evil" thats fine w/e im not going to complain about that

But Forceing people to be Half-GoldDragon Human/ LG / Paladin? = LAME

the fact that the DM Dosnt ever want to admit to over looking something or being wrong on a rule. Hell as i myself am a DM i like it when my players help me find something wrong on a rule or point out i overlooked. as long as there polite. I may not fix it right away but i'll thank them at least for it.

DMS who want to play something like RESIDENT EVIL!, And then b1^ch when players hide in a building and destroy pretty much the first two floors and hide out with a Mage or Ring of Sustence for food/water and just assassinate Zombies in the middle of the hunted City or infected city.

tho i mostly run across DMS who dont do something about the Roudy disturbing Player in the group. I hate thouse DMS as well.
My Norm Base Rules as a DM? and that i myself love?

1) 32 Point buy none of this 1 player haveing multibol 18's and another player having the highest stat of 15,

2) Challange Experiance changed. I Dont like the fact players can kill orcs tell there level 11/12, CRAP! I Go with the whole Experiance based on differculty of Battle/Monster/Quest thing. it might provide slower Leveling,

3) Eather Roll for your HP or take the Adverage result each level, choose before you start playing.

4) No Lets kill another Player character when they dont want it.
This is meant to be fun to ALL Players.

5) If your fighting Expect the monsters to be eather weeker on par or more powerful then the player characters.

6) There are such things as level 6 Kobolts.

7) Monsters use Tastics / Siege weapons.

8) NPCS are at least level 1 Commenors. if not higher.

9) I Dont care if your Int is 8, just so long as it remains above 3, and if anything your Wisdom can counter balance it. or w/e, But i dont care all that much.

10) LA 0, None of this Lesser Templates eather. and None of this +1 LA or higher templates.

11) Stick to the rules and try to follow the story plot of the game. None of this "Well i have 5000gp, My character Retires forever!"

12) Note that Skeletons can attack a Cleric standing in the doorway even with a fighter or someone standing in front of her, Why? (Directional pads) Battle Mat, Tho they get a negitive to hit and there dumb for not attacking the Fighter (Inless told so or the Cleric is the main threat) not only that but the fighter can do something about it as well.

13) Yes player Characters will die. I Aim to kill. Just not the whole Group, If the whole group is in danger then i'll try to help the players out. However please note that i said Player Character and not Whole Group. And im not targeting a player out of others. If the Only Cleric Dies. then deal with it. at least the whole group didnt die. Your not immune to death if your the Cleric.

14) Yes I Will use my monsters intelligently. Aka, "Crap super fighter is that way. Hm, Week unarmored wizard that way. I'll attack Week Unarmored Wizard with my Range weapon or Charge him with my melee weapon" This happins. if your dumb enough with the wizard to poke your head out in a battle and be Open with no defence, expect a monster who can choose rather you or a Super Barbian/ Fighter or cleric or someone eles who he has a less chance to hit. To Pick the Wizard. No office to the wizards. but the best way to win a fight? Lower there numbers so less things distract your character.

Aka, I Dont like to go easy on my players. but i dont want to kill off my players. Yes there Adventurers. There not Super heros however. they need to earn that they can become Heros of the town. not expect it to be handed to them.

No i dont care if you decide to bash door with Foot or sword rather then use open lock. Thats good thinking.
I get really bugged by changes to house rules mid-game. Or new house-rules for that matter.

Last session the party's monk slipped into Neutral Good (the cause was iffy too. It could easily be argued either way). The DM cackled (yes, cackled) and said "You fall unconsious". I looked at him and thought "Oh ****, a disease, a curse, what happened on that monster's dying breath?" The DM said "you are now, neutral good. You lose all your monk abilities." Screeeeeeeeech "What" I said, "thats not right. Monk's don't lose their abilities, they aren't paladins. Becoming neutral doesn't negate years of training." The DM replied "Thats how it works. Monks that violate their alignment lose their powers" I pulled out the PHB and read the section on Ex-Monks (summarized) "Monks that become non-lawful retain their previous monk abilities, but cannot advance in monk levels until they atone." The DM brushed my reasoning aside with "Thats crap." He proceded to tease the player about 'how he loved taking away aligned character's powers.' I hope my warlock never does anything remotely lawful. Maybe I could play "chaotic stupid" to avoid ability loss.

Venting felt good.
Resident Shakespeare
I get really bugged by changes to house rules mid-game. Or new house-rules for that matter.

Last session the party's monk slipped into Neutral Good (the cause was iffy too. It could easily be argued either way). The DM cackled (yes, cackled) and said "You fall unconsious". I looked at him and thought "Oh ****, a disease, a curse, what happened on that monster's dying breath?" The DM said "you are now, neutral good. You lose all your monk abilities." Screeeeeeeeech "What" I said, "thats not right. Monk's don't lose their abilities, they aren't paladins. Becoming neutral doesn't negate years of training." The DM replied "Thats how it works. Monks that violate their alignment lose their powers" I pulled out the PHB and read the section on Ex-Monks (summarized) "Monks that become non-lawful retain their previous monk abilities, but cannot advance in monk levels until they atone." The DM brushed my reasoning aside with "Thats crap." He proceded to tease the player about 'how he loved taking away aligned character's powers.' I hope my warlock never does anything remotely lawful. Maybe I could play "chaotic stupid" to avoid ability loss.

Venting felt good.

I've been in games where the DM gets his rocks off by taking away the PC's abilities, gear, capability to do anything, etc. I quit after the first session. The part where he made me roll to hit with magic missile. That was the breaking point. The point where I just got up and left was at the end of that "fight", where I was given cursed bracers of armor (because ID doesn't show curses! durr). They explode on casting a spell. I later found out that the loot in the session after I left was a +4 flaming shocking burst longsword, a ring of 3 wishes, and a deck of many things.

Also, I had to skip over everything Korgath facerolled onto this thread. Please, learn to spell.
Seeing as how a handful of people have posted up their own lists of house rules, I figured I might as well join in.

  • Stat Scores: Average of 13. Makes it easy for new guys, and above average for the older guys. After all, these are heroes were talking about, not ordinary people.
  • No Vile Darkness, Exalted Deeds, or books geared specifically for villains. I've had enough trouble with these that I could write a book.
  • No 'Alignment' as such. (See next)
  • Localized Honor System: Essentially, you misbehave, everyone in the area will find out sooner or later.
  • Code of Honor for Paladins (and similar classes), Clerics: Replacing alignment with this has solved things and gray areas IMMENSELY.
  • (For Clerics & Paladins): Ferverence; essentially, how devout the character is to his religion (specifically, how devout he is to the letter of his religion). The games I run generally shy away from white-hat/black-hat people, and delve into far more ambiguous straits.


Can't wait to here from more people. This is very intriguing.
I have quite a few house rules.

For character generation: 4d6 drop the lowest. Roll four sets of 6 numbers. Pick which set you want. This helps avoid characters with 3s and 4s or multiple scores below 10. Can result in some very powerful characters, however.

No more than two core classes per character.

Since I based my setting on medieval Europe, no monks or other Asian-based classes.
No druids (mostly because I don't understand the rules). Harsh, no one wanted to play a druid anyway.

I've never really understood the dying (HP -1 to -10) RAW in D&D. I ported a simplified version from SWRPG. Fortitude save equal to 10+(HP*-1). So a character dropped to -1 has to make a DC 11. At -9, its DC 19. It simple, and very easy to survive. My players hate dying while face down on the ground because they bled to death. In fact, they hate dying at all. And I'm not that big of a fan of killing them. Its not fun for us. But they don't know they're practically immortal.

Before the announcement for 4th ed, I ruled that only books that were physically at the table would be allowed. No PDFs, no scans. If I couldn't read it off paper, I wouldn't even consider it. When 4th was announced, I dropped the rule. But I still had to approve the new added rule. (and i wanted a copy!)

PrCs had to be approved.

Often, I'll require players to put a skill point in one of the parenthetical skills. Craft, Knowledge, Profession, Perform... Adds to the character and 1 point isn't bad for most characters. Even characters with Int < 8 still get 4 points at level 1.

I had more for Star Wars. The biggest one there was changing Armor and Defense for players and ships.

Any thoughts?
Jason, anyone who picks #2 for your evil choice is a dimwit. Turning a 15 into an 18 is a huge boon. I can kinda see picking #3 if you have some bad gamblers in your game, though. I'd never take it because I'd rather take the sure thing +3 over the 50% 4, 5, 6. Maybe if I had 2 shots at it I take the d6 roll, but certainly not one.

Edit: I just finished taking psychological statistics, so my knowledge of all things maybe is at an all-time high.

Despite the odds, the third option is by far the most popular. I haven't kept a running tally, but thus far, no one takes the first option, and option three is chosen on about a 3:1 ratio over option two.

The main thing that turns the players off is the possibility of losing bonus points (if the +3 would take the stat above 18). Don't ask me how you can "lose" a thing like "bonus" points. I just know that my players prefer to gamble, even with a 50% chance of gaining nothing.

When some others have DM'd, and made use of my evil little choice, I've honestly found the d4 to be the best option. The ability to assign the points across all of my scores usually serves me better.