campaign help please

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone,

I had an idea for a new campaign where the first session would introduce the fact that the group is part of a huge scavenger hunt with amazing prizes for the winner.

I wanted to create a list of items for the players to hunt down at their leisure, and i wanted them to be possible to be found / taken by the most different number of means. So diplomacy, stealth, combat etc

for example "1 hair off the princess's head" or "a signed letter of approval from a noble" or "the lost sword of roric the betrayer" If you see where i'm going with that.

I was just hoping you guys could give me a few ideas what to put on my list. there are compeeting npc groups looking for these items too, so it should be fun for the players.

Thanks!

(short verson: i'm making a scavenger hunt a campaign and need ideas for things to find)
In the vein of your current list:
  • The spiciest meat pie in the kingdom
  • Seven raccoons
  • A dragon's scale
  • The pennant from the highest spire of the neighbouring kingdom's castle

And then into the more esoteric:
  • A sunset
  • Forgiveness
  • A hard day's work
How about...

• A small marble statue to a dead monarch

• One hundred and one Bee's Wings

• The Left Boot and Right Gauntlet of a Paladin of (insert deity)

• An insane beggar that was once a great adventurer

• The sign off an inn with a tree in its title

• The sail off a naval vessel of a neighboring kingdom

These might provide some added fun.
  • The Left Boot and Right Gauntlet of a Paladin of (insert deity)

Tyr. If the Paladins hand was still in the gauntlet the player should get bonus points
(short verson: i'm making a scavenger hunt a campaign and need ideas for things to find)

Skull of a fairy
A kiss from the King's mistress
A living Macetail Behemoth
Any one item on the scavenger hunt list taken from another group attempting the scavenger hunt.
A peasant farmer who has slain a demon
An item taken from the Shadowfell, Feywild, Elemental Chaos, Abyss and Hell, all items must be of the same type.
Something that does not exist yet.
1 cart full of dragon dung

Jay
Do you intend for there to be a good reason for the Treasure Hunt? I would suggest that you have the person heading the treasure hunt as the end battle bbeg, and that some of the items( not all the items) are in fact what he needs to finish a ritual to become some all mighty bad dude. I did something very similar to this and made it so the point was to deny the guy all of the gear so that he couldn't finish the ritual. A timely well worded( though almost very very very poorly worded) wish spell denied the the bbeg the final part to his set and so he was much easier to defeat.

Or perhaps the person doing the scavenger hunt doesn't even know why he is doing it?! Perhaps he has some evil entity that has been whispering to his dreams and has fueled this obsession with the hunt and is having the pieces brought together for some other purpose, like a prophecy!

As to items on the list:

The horn of Valor( Come on!)
Cursed item( the sort of thing that begs to be used but has dire consequences)
A Harpies Song
Flame of Chaos
Shadow stone

Now, some of those are the sort that will force the players to think outside the box in order to get them the prize.

I look forward to reading how this goes!
Hey guys, thanks for all the input!

I'm totally going to take some of these ideas and run with them. Some of them wouldn't work for what I have in mind. I mean i want these items to be tangible (be able to be stolen, broken, or lost). And fairly small enough, I want them to travel with these items. Ideally I'd like these tasks/items be able to scale to their level so they can complete them in any order. Some of the tasks i want to be straight up fights, others have a lot of options as to how they can accomplish it.

So far these are a few ideas I have floating around, let me know what you guys think (hopefully my players wont read this):
1) A single hair off of the Princess' head
2) A star lilly (rare flower that grows high in the mountains)
3) The mile marker where ABC road meets XYZ road (far away in the wilderness)
4) 1 gold piece taken from a dragon's horde
5) The sword of Roric the Betrayer (lost in the caves he was chased into)
6) The last will and testament of Edward Burke (a random guy in a random city)
7) A working Ur-Wuthe (very old and rarely seen Eladrin musical instrument)
8) An hour class that counts exactly 2.25 hours
9) A letter of recommendation from any of XYZ cities' nobility
10) A piece of glowstone (rare stone that glows when no other light is present, only found in the deepest dwarven mines)

I was thinking the other competing groups could provide much of the conflict, with the understanding that some items are unique and are two or more lists, so the pc's might arrive to find the npc's have already taken their thing, so they have to find them and steal it back etc.
There should definitely be competing groups. Some of these items may only have one in existence, like the lost sword. Whereas others are just hard to come by. This would increase the likely-hood of other groups trying to steal something you have that they need.

I would also suggest adding a couple things. That the PCs know the whole of their list at the start to better plan. That not all lists are exactly the same. Last that there is a time limit. The group with the most on their list wins.

I have a couple questions. I like several of the previous ideas but most can't really be quantified but or easily proved, such as kiss or hair. How would the PCs carry these items or show their progress compared to other groups? Would they be required to come up with their own storage devices?

This is totally getting stolen, I already know where I can host this in my world and what world specific items I can add. Hope that's okay.
Cursed item( the sort of thing that begs to be used but has dire consequences)

Belt of alternate gender...
Others for the list:

Theft:
- One of the king's marble lion statues.
- The royal treasure of foreign kingdom.

Fight:
- A pint of blood from a medusa.
- The waraxe of Argus the Slaughterer.

Diplomacy
- The (magical) tuning fork of the premier musician of the kingdom.
- The helmet of the captain of the king's personal guard.
So far these are a few ideas I have floating around, let me know what you guys think (hopefully my players wont read this):
1) A single hair off of the Princess' head
2) A star lilly (rare flower that grows high in the mountains)
3) The mile marker where ABC road meets XYZ road (far away in the wilderness)
4) 1 gold piece taken from a dragon's horde
5) The sword of Roric the Betrayer (lost in the caves he was chased into)
6) The last will and testament of Edward Burke (a random guy in a random city)
7) A working Ur-Wuthe (very old and rarely seen Eladrin musical instrument)
8) An hour class that counts exactly 2.25 hours
9) A letter of recommendation from any of XYZ cities' nobility
10) A piece of glowstone (rare stone that glows when no other light is present, only found in the deepest dwarven mines)

1) A single hair off of the Princess's head. "Treason to the crown! Death to those who would harm one hair off my daughter's head!" - King So-and-So
Dangerous if you ask me.

4) 1 gold piece taken from a dragon's horde. "Yeah? Can you prove this gold came from a dragon's horde?"
Maybe have the dragon with coins that aren't minted anymore, marked with a date or location from their history... even so, how would they know it came from a dragon's lair?

6) The last will and testament of Edward Burke (a random guy in a random city) "Thieves!"
Unless this hunt is made by a thieves guild.

Everything else seems okay to me. Looks like a long and interesting campaign. You don't even need plot hooks to get from one adventure to another, it's already set. Looks like fun.
Tovec - Part of the setup i've planned includes a the list being handed to them as part of the contest they are taking part in. They would have to keep their list guarded as it is required to complete the contest.

The point you raise is very valid. I don't want one of their items on the list to be something intangible like a kiss, which cant be stolen away or truly proven without witnesses. The hair i would assume could have a ritual performed on it, but it is a good point.

Shadow Imp - I could see the pc's getting the hair by any number of ways. bribing the court hair dresser, stealthing into the castle and using ninja skills, a direct assault past her guards (with violent consequences from the king i imagine), or by doing good deeds and winning her favor.

The gold coin is a tricky one, because part of the quest would be trying to verify if its real or not. Of course the most direct route would be to go and find a dragon, or find an adventurer that found a dragon. It might be a weaker task, I'll have to think it over.

I'll have to mull over the ed bruke one
Well wouldn't rituals be good to determine if something is valid? In the case of the hair, coin and will I would put forth further things to note. That these items have to be fresh. Getting an old hair of the princess's from a baby book shouldn't be valid. Neither would a gold piece gotten as change but used to be in a dragon's horde and was taken by earlier adventurers and subsequently spent. As for the will, it has to be a valid copy, not his previous revision that he threw out. I know these are extreme examples but I hope you see my point.

All I'm saying is that in these circumstances it should be understood that the PCs or someone they hired are responsible for getting the items. The ritual would be used to ensure that each item in their list is real and valid.
I would have to disagree Tovec, but purely on a matter of preference. If I were DM'ing this campaign, then all of the examples you listed would be very clever, valid ways to complete the objectives. If you could prove, or find out somehow, that a gold piece you got from a merchant was previously part of a dragon's horde, then all the better! Going through someone's trash from the day that they met with their lawyer to revise their will? Brilliant!

I can see why you would run it your way, but I think you have to be sure to reward clever ideas that your PCs come up with.
I agree, and I do understand that these are crazy cool ways of beating the list. I also disagree about the gold piece. In some games, I would wager a high percentage, a gold piece from a dragon's horde would be VERY common place. I just think it needs to have been proven in some way.
In either case, we should get back to the list.
"No, no! I bravely snuck into the the dragon's lair while it was sleeping, and seeing my life flash before my eyes, I drew up the courage and pilfered this little ol' gold piece here."

(Rolls Bluff check hoping for a good result)

Random drunk villager, "And you didn't take anything else?"

(Insight checks now at +2 vs current bluff)

"Blast!"
Shadow Imp - I could see the pc's getting the hair by any number of ways. bribing the court hair dresser, stealthing into the castle and using ninja skills, a direct assault past her guards (with violent consequences from the king i imagine), or by doing good deeds and winning her favor.

The gold coin is a tricky one, because part of the quest would be trying to verify if its real or not. Of course the most direct route would be to go and find a dragon, or find an adventurer that found a dragon. It might be a weaker task, I'll have to think it over.

For the hair, simply wake up before her, take a hair from her brush and either return to bed or disappear, I don't think the King would like your presence very much ;)

The coin could be an old coin from a fallen empire that fell to the wyrm and all of their currency (unique to the city) now resides in the wyrms's dwelling

1) A painting from the royal castle
2) The sword from the city's most renowned general
3) An invite to the most lucrative, cream of the crop social event
4) (Epic) Vecna's hand/eye
5) (Epic) A scale from the tarrasque
6) A powerful lich's phylactery (to hold for ransom)
7) The scepter of a deceased ruler that was buried with them
Um,..
*Thread Necromancy*

The mask of the most famous and deadly assassin.
The preserved right eye of an foreign land's general.
Three soulcrystals of three fierce orange horned snap dragons.
(aka: three of a kind of something unique to only one creature)
A cubic gate with one side linking to Nessus.
A flying carpet once owned by a duke.
A horn from the dragon graveyard.
The only remaining copy of "How to catch an elf.." (a rare book)
A hell hound. (as a pet hopefully)