1001 Character Quirks

597 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can spawn all these ideas, but I can't figure out a simple thing like alignment for my own character. What gives? Anyway....

800: A character who makes Classic Batman TV Show noises during every encounter. "Bam" "Pow" "Kazaam" "Kachow" "Biff"

801: Weapon Proficiency - Metal Chair.....for all those professional wrestling fans out there.

802: An elf who becomes annoyed at all of the other elf sub-races which seem to pop up every other month.

803: A fighter with a manager who constantly distracts opponents and "cheats" during encounters...also for pro-wrestling fans. The manager also verbally berates opponents and is otherwise annoying as the fighter pummels his foe.

804: A Character with a posthetic limb. (I'm unsure if I spelled that correctly.) (wooden leg, plastic arm, metallic hand, etc.)

805: A character with a magic glass eye which can be taken out and used to "keep an eye" on an area while they are somewhere else.
806: Constantly fakes their own death (I couldn't resist doing this over and over again, outside of combat, whenever we met a new NPC. It all started when I saw coloured ink in the price list.....)

807: A psionic Thri-Kreen with mental leap and max ranks in jump (as well as every other speed/jump buff they can find) that grapples an opponent, jumps in the air and lets go.

808: One from the first campaing I DMed: A druid that cast air walk and then emptied all of the parties gp and loot, incuding a statue and several pointy magic items, (all of it held in a bag of holding) onto enemies.
809: 804 but the caracter uses said limb in his other hand as a weapon, possibly having secured a weapon into the phony arm first.
810: A wheelchair bound character. The character would commission Gnomes to put all kinds of gadgets on the chair such as crossbows, automatic dart guns, springs to jump, and etc.

811: A very uncivilized/savage barbarian who constantly mistakes thongs for loin clothes. He also things bras are slings for hurling rocks at foes. "Bras? The women in my tribe don't wear such things...."

812: A Gnomish Pirate Captain who is always upgrading his ship and experimenting with gunpowder to find the best destructive power for the cannons. Just a Gnome Pirate at all would be cool.

813: A character who uses a very large spork as a weapon.

814: An albino Goblin.

815: A character who is paranoid and believes birds are plotting to take over the world. He/she refuses to speak when birds are around and generally tries to avoid them at all costs.
816: If his name begins with a B he calls himself 'Bearstrangler'.
817: She is the little sister of said 'Bearstrangler' and goes around ruining his reputation by calling him 'Billy'.

Sorry, heres the serious ones... :P

818: Has a habit of playing with her throwing knives, flicking them in and out of its scabbard over and over again for example.
819: This character finds peoples habits incredibly annoying, even the slightest personal trait can get him in a huff.
820: An evil character who kills Spiders because her loves Butterflies so much (I think this is an anime referance, cant remember which show though).
821: A Sorceror who his half-oge magi. This makes him tall for a Human, prone to bouts of arrogance and strange blue-hint in his skin.
822- Same as 815, except that said character is a druid.
Inspired by the Thousand Sons of Warhammer 40,000:

823: Permanently sealed into his or her armor
824:Has done something to have a grave curse put upon him/her, which entailed having their body destroyed and soul melded into the armor.
(824 could be played pretty easy- do a normal character, then give them the construct subtype and +1 LA)
-----
825: Uses an Apparatus of Kwalish (spelling, don't have my books on hand) like a automobile.
826: Has souped up magically enchanted normal equipment, like a tent that has fly ,alarm , and animate object on it.
827: Botonist
828: Max height, minimum weight
829: Minumum weight, maximum height
830: Sadist
831: Masochist
832: A sorceror/paladin....Start your character as a sorceror and then role-play that later on they begin to attribute their natural affinity for magic to the blessing of a certain god. Said character turns to the order of the paladin as a way to have a better relationship with whatever god. I guess that's more of a concept than a quirk, but oh well...

833: A bard who joins the party because of being booked by his/her talent agent. He/she constantly complains about not getting paid enough to put up with the dangerous situations the party gets him/her into.

834: First Name - Potato

835: Last Name - Hasslehoff

836: Stiffler Bonesplitter - A particularly macho/tough member of the party guards dearly the secret of knowing how to dance because his mother forced him to take lessons when he was younger. Somehow, through the course of their adventures, the secret is revealed to the rest of the party because winning a dance contest against the a BBEG is the only way to accomplish a goal.
837) Constantly writes things about himself and what is happening to him in a big book. Believes that his life is so interesting that when he dies the book will become a best seller. Though he doesn't know he's writting in Boccob's blessed book.

838) A rougue who uses sneak attacks to impress people. The people are unaware that he is there until he introduces himself with his impression. Guess how many people like him?

839) A Psionic character that believes that all his powers come from his heart, not his mind.

840) Holds a powerful (Very powerful) magical item and thinks it's a trinket, he willingly trades it off for a pet dog.
841: Your character is a laid back guy who doesn't really care about too much of anything. One day, because of having the same name as some wealthy noble, two guys mug you as you're coming into your house. Eventually they figure out that they have the wrong guy, but, before leaving, they urinate on your favorite rug. Your adventuring begins with you trying to replace your rug - it really made the room kinda hang together, man.

842: Your character is a hunter of the undead who uses a cricket bat as his weapon of choice.
I think we need a bit of a reminder of the definition of quirk...

quirk (kwûrk) n.
1. A peculiarity of behavior; an idiosyncrasy: “Every man had his own quirks and twists” (Harriet Beecher Stowe).
2. An unpredictable or unaccountable act or event; a vagary: a quirk of fate.
3. A sudden sharp turn or twist.
4. An equivocation; a quibble.
5. Architecture. A lengthwise groove on a molding between the convex upper part and the soffit.

I think we're aiming at #1 here. So being a wizard or a troglodyte isn't a quirk in and of itself. But a wizard or trog that favors wielding a metal chair would be.

[/rant]
My current quirky Players:
Aaakping:
Lawful good monk but was ressurected by necromancers so accidentally does evil acts when he's not paying attention to what he's doing
LOATHES cats, apparently they killed his family including him (meaning he's been ressurected twice)

Schriv:
Chair Salesman
Proficiency with chair
Obsession with the inticacies of various political systems

other quirks characters have had
*Eats anything and everything to see if its poisonous or has hallucinogenic effects
*Stands on one leg when in the presence of two or less people
842: Your character is a hunter of the undead who uses a cricket bat as his weapon of choice.

SHAUN OF THE DEAD! :O

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
843. The charater used to be a powerful mage but lost all spellcasting abilities, he forgets about this and constantly threatens powerful people.
844) Your character believs that if he had no idea where something came from, it must of came form 'up there'.
845: Big lech basically. Horndog. Even hits on enemy females...including Drow, which can create a problem since he's a high elf.

///
846: PC is constantly picking their nose

847: Male PC secretly wears women's undergarments

848: PC is allergic to Undead, and begins to sneaze uncontrollably when any undead are within 100 feet

849: PC knows more than one language and sometimes mixes the two languages together without realizing it (i.e. speaking English for half a sentence and then switching over to Spanish halfway through the sentence)

850: PC doesn't wear shoes, boots, or any other foot garments because they believe covering your feet cuts you off from mother earth's affections

851: PC has an unusual walk - they move their right arm when stepping with their right leg and move their left arm when stepping with their left leg...try doing this yourself once if you don't understand why it's unusual; it feels odd
851: PC has an unusual walk - they move their right arm when stepping with their right leg and move their left arm when stepping with their left leg...try doing this yourself once if you don't understand why it's unusual; it feels odd

Nice to see a bit of real life character research going on there... :P

852: Has a really bizarre pseudonatural pet/familiar and treats it like it was a cute animal companion.
853: Finds the opposite gender of their race to be utterly repulsive.
854: Is a Wizard who speed-reads and who hates studying.

IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/leaves_or/Simeonsparty.txt)IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/leaves_or/TEWparty.txt)
Sleepwalking warmage, that has night terrors...(sleepwalks away from the party at night and when he has a bad dream he starts casting spells to kill his nightmares! while still asleep, doesnt' remember any of this in the morning)

the ultimate versatility wizard that always keeps all his spells in reserve so he'll always be as versatile as possible...

Spellcaster that is afraid of cats and cast their most powerful spells to get rid of any they see....out of fear of retribution!
858: For some reason they never use actual weapons as weapons; they use things which were not intended to be weapons such as sports equipment, kitchen utensils, and/or farming tools. (on a side note, someone using a pitchfork would be kinda cool)

859: Between adventures the PC engraves his/her armor and weapons with accounts of heroic deeds they've accomplished. Upon running out of room, the PC buys all new equipment and starts over again. At epic levels they build a museam in honor of themselves with the different sets of equipment as displays. There's a possible plot hook here too because somebody could rob one of his/her favorite displays.
860: The breakdancing sorcerer. Rather than waving his hands around like a pansy when he casts spells, he cuts it up on the floor for all his somatic components. He drops and does flares while fireballs shoot from his feet. When he does a triple headspin, a mighty hurricane appears. He could also lay out a fresh rhyme for his verbal components.
860: The breakdancing sorcerer. Rather than waving his hands around like a pansy when he casts spells, he cuts it up on the floor for all his somatic components. He drops and does flares while fireballs shoot from his feet. When he does a triple headspin, a mighty hurricane appears. He could also lay out a fresh rhyme for his verbal components.

Thats one of the most awesome ideas i've ever seen... :D

861: The character tries his best to be a CE scoundrel, but his diabolical plans are alwways tharwted because he is so small and cute. Hordes of women and girls adore him.
862: Is prone to being unecessarily sarcastic when in danger, for example if he is dangling of an edge of a cliff and someone asks if he is okay, he will shout something along the lines 'oh yes, of course i'm fine you ing idiot!!!'

IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/leaves_or/Simeonsparty.txt)IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/leaves_or/TEWparty.txt)
863: A barbarian (some race like an orc or troll or ogre) who whenever he meets someone with a mount or familiar asks, "Are you gonna eat that?" When their surprised response is "no" he attempts to kill and eat the mount or familiar.

Note: The above is not an original idea of mine, read it somewhere years ago, and did use it as a character, it caused all sorts of problems, was fun to roleplay. The wizard in the group never did forgive me for eating his rodent familiar. The group got very good at grabbing my weapon handle whenever they saw me pointing at an animal and talking to it's owner/handler before I could draw the weapon.
864: Randomly Shouts out Phil Collins lyrics when he is in battle . Frequently uses the word "SuSudio" to describe things.
I think we need a bit of a reminder of the definition of quirk

Thank you. Some of these were just getting stupid -_-;
userbar_fls.png userbar_gimp.png userbar_traps.png Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About GameBriefcase - homebrew, variants, fixes, hacks, and further geekery
845: Big lech basically. Horndog. Even hits on enemy females...including Drow, which can create a problem since he's a high elf.

Wow, that totally hasn't been done a million times and already mentioned two or three times on this list...
userbar_fls.png userbar_gimp.png userbar_traps.png Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About GameBriefcase - homebrew, variants, fixes, hacks, and further geekery
865: Constantly mixes up his proverbs and sayings.

This one's inspired by Doc from The Boondock Saints:

Doc: "Listen, fellas. I don't want anyone to know, so you keep your traps shut. You know what they say: people in glass houses sink sh-ships."
[Everyone laughs]
David Della Rocco: Hey Doc, I've gotta buy you, like, a proverb book or something, cause this mix-and-match 's gotta go.
Doc: What?
Connor McManus: A penny saved's worth two in the bush, isn't it?
Murphy McManus: And don't cross the road if you can't get out of the kitchen.
Wow, that totally hasn't been done a million times and already mentioned two or three times on this list...

Ok, how about this twist to it:

866 (845 revised): The character is a big lech with low charisma, he constantly uses Elixirs of Love (from SRD) to make up for what he sees as an unfortunate twist of fate, that this casanova at heart is trapped in the shell of a hideously ugly man.
867: An elf with small flags attached to ears. Wiggles ears at ships in a series of seemingly coordinated pattern. Has no clue about Signal Flags

Captain: ......

Sailor: Captain, the elf is still sa-

Captain: RAMMING SPEED!

Sailor: but the elf's on that rocky cliff! We'll be shipwrecked!

Captain: Aye. But no one says that about my mother and lives!

868: A half-orc barbarian that prances while "Moving Silently"

869: Said barbarian has max ranks in Perform (Tango) and constantly does better at charming women than the party's bard.

870: A halfling rogue that insists on making his victims clothes just before executing his Sneak Attack. To this end has max ranks in Profession (Tailor), Craft Clothing, Sleight of Hand, Diplomacy, and of course Bluff.
858: For some reason they never use actual weapons as weapons; they use things which were not intended to be weapons such as sports equipment, kitchen utensils, and/or farming tools. (on a side note, someone using a pitchfork would be kinda cool)

i once had to use a ham sandwhich as a weapon

ThorvaldHafgrimsson wrote:
Life is full of choices. Sometimes you make the good ones, and sometimes you have to kill all the witnesses.
NastasiaLorn; wrote:
But then you have to pay the liability insurance.
A note about character and world creation
Show
Character and world creation are a form of expression. The point is that some people don't have much to say...
57949688 wrote:
Why doesnt anyone ever sig my qoutes!?
On the subject of who post in the Off-Topic Tavern:
57131438 wrote:
most of them are bored, immature adults.
Offical troller of the House of Trolls
i once had to use a ham sandwhich as a weapon

What condiments were on it? Was it wheat, white, or rye bread?

871: Smokes cigarettes....I know this isn't a very unusual quirk, but I don't believe anyone has mentioned it, and I don't believe I've seen anyone rp a character who smokes.

872: PC is quitting smoking. The DM rules you recieve the ability to rage during "Nic Fits," but your abilities get penalized during withdrawal.

873: Tap Dancing Bard.....no singing, no playing the lute, only tap dancing

874: PC has a birth defect which causes them to have a third nostril in the center of their nose.

875: Elven PC decides to rebel against his/her forest dwelling kin and their way of life and plans to embrace the Drow way of life after moving to the Underdark.

876: Warforged PC was built using Windows Millenium Edition; they constantly have flagrant and/or severe system errors. Sometimes, when asked to perform a task, it replies with,"Sorry, the system is dangerously low on resources."

877: PC is TN and follows the way of the Tao.

878: Wizard/Sorceror PC is elderly and has the following: Familiar - Awakened Dentures

879: Due to a family curse, PC suffers from severe migraines which are caused by touching metal with their bare skin.
871: Smokes cigarettes....I know this isn't a very unusual quirk, but I don't believe anyone has mentioned it, and I don't believe I've seen anyone rp a character who smokes.

I mentioned it once, only this character specializes in evocation spells...

183: never admits to being wrong, even when shown proof
184: strong accent
185: believes talking in common beneath him/her.
186. drags his/her feet when walking
187: walks on his/her hands when bored
188: commonly chews on a sprig of (fill in blank)
189: Often smells of (Fill in blank)
190: whittles (with or without craft skill)
191: refuses to fight others of the same race
192: has trouble sleeping.
193: Loud snorer, prevents other light sleepers in the party from sleeping near him/her
194: 2 different eye colors
195: Disproportional sized body parts (forearms, biceps, legs, breasts, ears, ext)
196: Hates things they can’t or don’t understand after a few minutes of explaining
197: loves to argue
198: wants a husband or wife in every town
199: whistles when under stress
200: has a non-combat pet dog that is not a non-animal companion/familiar/banded mount…
201: never wears weapons, armor, or gear when not SPECIFICLY adventuring.
202: is addicted to a non drug like substance. Suffers withdrawals such as crankiness, edginess, and shakes if they are required to go without. Example: has 10 cups of tea a day, 3 tasty beef pastries, peppermints, or (personal favorite) Iron rations.
203: Constantly trying to use a skill he/she is simply not good at (CC skill with one rank) disappointed when other characters are better at it.
204: Always finishes food first and asks for party member’s food “you going to finish that?”
205: blows at large parts of personal wealth earned on extravagant pub parties for “really good friends of mine”
206: Demands to be treated as a noble despite not being one. (careful as this may be against local law)
207: Always exaggerates combats, adventures, or deeds… even in front of party members whom know better.
208: Loves to try and one up bards
209: Doesn’t ever have an opinion, just agrees with whoever seems to be making the point everyone else is agree with
210: uncomfortable in crowds.
211: Loves fashion and have many trunks and trunks of clothes.
212: always has a coin that he/she palms, rubs, flips and plays with in his hand.
213: holds weird beliefs on what an adventuring party should be like. Example: “If we all are going to fight together and risk our lives together, we should bath together.”
214: Enjoys being dirty.
215: wants to be friends with everyone, doesn’t like not being popular
216: Very independent. Doesn’t like help from others.
217: Constantly trying to sell his/her road crafted trinkets to party members
218: Obsessive compulsive
219: character still wants to be a child
220: allergic to (fill in the blank). Some fun examples would be sun light, moon light, steel, leather, dairy products, alcohol, or a monster type.
221: Wears gear that is too small, because he/she doesn’t realize they have gotten fat.
222: never fully straps up armor, because it is too uncomfortable. (-1 AC, +1 max dex?)
223: Thinks his/her impressions of famous people and monsters are really good, and loves to show them off to strangers.
224: only wears a single type of material or a specific color.
#225. Knows about monsters from folklore.
"Everyone knows that the only way to kill a vampire is to put a slice of lemon in it's mouth, hammer carrots in it's ears, and cut it's head off! Duh."
Folklore is not always correct.
849: PC knows more than one language and sometimes mixes the two languages together without realizing it (i.e. speaking English for half a sentence and then switching over to Spanish halfway through the sentence)

Guilty as charged! I especially do it when writing essays, do you even realize how annoying it is to rewrite 2 pages just because you finished in another language switching between danish and english at random intervals...
------------------

???. Makes sure that their enemies are dead for good
(puts garlic in a vampires mouth, put a stake in its heart, cuts its head off, burns it, drops ashes in holy water )
(planeshifts the remains of a troll to the elemental plane of fire )
(planeshifts the lichs phylactery to the positive plane :D )
(Uses imprisonment on BBEGs ;) )
(Defeats gods by offering them gems with a little Trap the Soul on it :embarrass )
(Bullys dragons into becoming dracoliches, then throws their phylactery into your storage chamber )
(uses Wish to make sure that toads aren't ressurected (and they're not familiars!) )
(raises his dead enemies as zombies just to kill them again, preventing ressurection :D )
Alright, #183(mk2)-#225(Mk2) should be

880-921 (!)

As such, Need_A_Life's is #922
-
#923: carbonates his/her canteen water
924: carbonates AND flavors his/her canteen water
Guilty as charged! I especially do it when writing essays, do you even realize how annoying it is to rewrite 2 pages just because you finished in another language switching between danish and english at random intervals...
------------------

So would that be Danglish?
I have no idea what # we are on now: Familiar/animal compainion/psicrystal is your enemy bound to you by some unknown force.

This would be great with a kobold. His gnomish rival is stuck with him in badger form. He hates him but by that unkown force is not allowed to harm him due to previous deeds etc.

The Rouge Rogue "Hey squeekums, your badger thing says he found a good resting spot."

Squeekums : "whats?!? oh... that thing.. he ain'ts dead yet?"
:D

#following that # that i have no idea what we are on: Constantly plots his animal companion/familiar/psycrystal's death.. and make it look like an accident.
927: Psion who is Convinced he's really just a sorcerer without a familier (no Psicrystal). Does verbal and somatic components whenever he manifests a power. and when Wands and scrolls don't work he gets annoyed and destroys them, claiming that the items were faulty (even if he's seen another player use that Wand/Scroll, etc). never buys from the Same magic shop twice (because they keep selling him Faulty products!). etc.
Sign In to post comments