1001 Character Quirks

597 posts / 0 new
Last post
216) Character believes they are destined to do or find something, and are therefore invincible.

217) Spellcaster who believes he needs to 'charge up' before he casts a spell (ala Dragonball Z/GT). Will stand in a corner and start screaming in a menacing pose for 5 rounds before casting any spell.

218) Druid who doesn't trust animals ("They've got shifty eyes!")

219) Character constantly questions their motivation.
Originally posted by Psi Spy
216) Character believes they are destined to do or find something, and are therefore invincible.

My Deity put me on this earth for a to accomplish something. At the rate I'm going I WILL LIVE FOREVER!

I hope you've never had to actually PLAY with #217
I just thought of these few...

220: has really, really, bad acne.

221: Alchemist/Herbalist in mad persuit of a cure for Acne

222: Alchemist who makes and advertises cosmetics

223: always speaks in rhyme

224: speaks like Yoda from Star Wars, accent optional

225: is a Pirate

226: is a Privateer

w00t, 22.58% of 1001!
I hope you've never had to actually PLAY with #217

:D No... I actually remembered it from someone's sig a while back. If anyone's going to play it in my group though, it's me...

227) Character is under the delusion they have mental powers or psionics, and will help anyone they can with these 'abilities'.
(Here, let me - I can light that fire with my mind...*puts fingers to temples* HNNNNNGGGG!)
228:Is particularly proud of a particular skill or ability (Ie juggling, dancing, etc) and if someone critisizes that ability the character will fly into the equivalant of a barbarian rage and attempt to pummel the critisizer. The rage does not end untill the critisizer appologizes or is beaten unconsious.

229: Hoards particular items of questionable use or practicality with the belief that the items will find use in a critical junction sometime in the future. Suggestions include Kaliwash's Apparatus, large ammounts of Smokepowder, Ornathopters, Entire cases of potions of Jump-Sanctuary-Water breathing-gaseous form-etc.

230:For a wizard with a failed/unhappy marrige: Is obsessed with the creation of a golem he/she calls the wife/husband golem.

231:Is intimidated by nobility and royalty, becomming stumbletounged an akward whenever interacting with that type.

232:Refuses to deny him/herself creature comforts despite being an adventurer. Has hired a cook to make fine meals on the road, porters to carry comfortable beds, librarys of books, large wardrobes, braziers to keep warm in cold weather, and so forth. Refuses to share this with the other party-members.
233. Plays the futuristic role playing game called Computers and Cubicles, and has ALL the rule books, and loves to goto conventions.

234. a character that constantly reads...all the time...for the love of reading.
235. Converses with a certain painted rock as though it were his personal adviser. Often does this in the most inconvenient times (i.e. during battle, in a meeting with royalty...). Holds it closely and growls if anyone tries to take it.

236. Sleeps, eats and overall lives in his armour.
(these are from characters who are/were/will be in my group)

237: Githyanki running from the Lich-Queen to avoid having his soul harvested at 16th level. 10% chance to get attacked by Githyanki hunters each session.

238: Drunken Master who fights with mugs

239: Dwarf who growls like a rabid animal, complete with foaming at the mouth, at anyone he dislikes

240: Wizard who charges into melee and 'retributive strikes' with his Staff of the Magi/ Staff of Power whenever the group comes upon a 'boss' type opponent

241: Spellfire wielder who carries hundreds of rods of prestidigitation to suck spellfire levels from

(these are just inspired by actions from my group)

242: Rogue that will ONLY attack on a sneak attack, nowhere else. Will insist upon this behavior even against Constructs, Undead, etc.

243: High strength character that fights with other characters. As in wields them.

244: frequently starts organizations and desings 10-level prestige classes for them. Takes one level and closes the organization. Repeats.

245: reffers to extremely powerfull entities, like Elminster or Dieties, as 'Munchkins'
246: Gamble compulsively.
247: Fight using sacks of money.
248: Repeatedly insist you're not paranoid when telling fellow party members that some "DM" controls the multiverse.
249: Pick up trash so you try reusing for stuff other than scrap or firewood. Do this everywhere you go.

-EE
(inspired by Endarire)
250: attempts to find a proper recycling bin for all of his refuse, parchemnt, paper, ale bottles, torch scraps, etc.

251: is a Cheif. Whenever asked of his skills, replies 'master of ze culinary arts' in a thick, pompous, french accent. Wears all white, an apron, and a cheifs hat. Optionally fights with a spatula, or twin-wields a pot/pan combo.
252: Eats only with his hands, or otherwise has aweful table manners.

253: Eats only with his hands, but otherwise has excellent table manners.

254: Collects seeds for his garden.

255: Constantly talks fondly of home.

256: Keeps all his money in the form of a particular type of gemstone.
253. Has an air elemental familiar or something similary hard-to-spot. Combine with other quirks concerning familiars so everybody thinks, the wizard is insane and talking to himself, when conferring with his familiar.

254. Comments about everything to an imaginary friend, give the replies himself. Becomes violent when people mention it.
259. is clusterphobic
260. is deathly afraid and suspicious of one of the other players farmiliars (especially good if that farmiliar is harmless) saying that it'll kill them all in the middle of the night
261. Whenever any other char mentions the word "seven", he jumps up and screams like a little girl: "SEVEN!!!"

262. constantly electrocuting/burning/freezing inncoent bystanders with the globes of magic that he showoffishly juggles.

263. Gibbers like a madman whenever the chars make a plan: "Mwahahaha...Mwahhahaha...Mwahahaha!!!"
264. Exclaims 'Dungeons and dragons!' when frightened or startled.
Originally posted by CTHUHLU_THE_GROOVY
264. Exclaims 'Dungeons and dragons!' when frightened or startled

:heehee
265) Believes it's bad luck to kill a wizard, won't kill one and spouts this off with stories about how his cousin's brother's son killed a wizard once and lost both his legs the next day.

266) Like 265 but is a wizard and never shuts up about it especially in combat.

267) Like 266 but he's sucidal.
268) Thief that will only use Subduel damage against humaniods. Will still sneak attack, but never with a weapon that deals normal damage.
267) Asks his companions if they have things that qualify as spell components during combat.
270) (?) Belives that all clerics are realy just misguided mages and that the gods (dont exist/hate all mortals.)
A fighter who is scared to death of rats, is convinced rats are out to kill him and will run away screaming.

One of my games I was a fighter who we went down into some tunnels and in a small tunnel we were attacked by giant rats, bulldog sized, after we escaped, almost dead since there wasnt enough room to swing my longsword, he was terrified of rats after that, ALL rats
Cross-class skills make excellent cores for quirks. For that matter, they can be a seed around which to build an entire character. For example:

272) A fighter with max ranks in perform (string instruments). He's always playing a tune for the party.

273) A rogue with max ranks in perform (foolery) is the typical acrobatic clown.

274) A wizard with max ranks in tumble. -- I actually play a wizard who has max ranks in almost all his dex-based skills, though they weren't cross-class when he took them.

275) A non-caster with max ranks in Profession (magician) and Sleight of Hand.

And other ideas:

276) A high-int character who wants to learn everything and be the best at everything. As a result, he ends up as a generalized amature. This is represented in game terms by taking no more than three levels in any one class, and distributing the classes evenly as they come.

277) Someone with a particular feature he's very proud of. For example, a man with an enormous moustache which he spends an hour each morning grooming while the casters prepare their spells.
#278 A lawful evil cleric of hextor who won't harm albinos unless absolutely necessary

A gnome that always carries a bag of marbles with him, and when in thought or nervous, begins to polish them upon his tunic or with a small rag.
280. Consults every move with a green cricket named "Jimminey".

281. Asks advice on all "Wish" spells with a blue fairy.

282. Refused to go ANYWHERE that will not allow his dog.

283. Talks to said dog.

284. Said dog is imaginary. Becomes Enraged when asked about this.

285. Contantly bickers with themself, in two different voices.

286. Has horrible gas, brought on by battle or the presence of Nobility. (DM's choice as to which end)
my current party

287 (were-badger) if ever damaged must continue attacking uncontrollably untill he or the damager is dead.

288 a teenage mutant ninja turtle

289 a cowboy sorcercer (no guns, this is a normalish dnd world. i do my "gun" slinging with ray spells)

290 (the cowboy) claustrophobic

291 (cowboy) hates gnomes

I gained 290 and 291 after spending 8 hours in a hole with a zombie gnome that, after it was cut up, continued twitching.

past party quirks

292 a goth gnome bard, wears make up and everything, he even used a whip...

293 a rogue with three fingers (got caught)

294 a Saurial fin head with one eye (the story involves a snail and salt)

295 a gnome who added names as he gained power

what i'd like to play

295 a wizard who carries a note book everywhere and writes notes on everything in dungeons and in towns... seriously everything.
296.) Character is a vegatarian
297.) Always wears an apron, he doesn't want to get his armor dirty
298.) Has no inner monologue; he simply vocalizes his every thought
299.) does not talk during combat, he's convinced the party has telepathy. After every battle he scolds his team mates for not doing what he directed them todo.
300.) Falls asleep after every battle, immediately
There were two 295s, so...

302) Any non-standard weapon makes a good quirk, and will often have a story to go with it.

303) A master of disguise who also writes up and acts out elaborate personalities for each disguise, taking quirks from this list.

304) Carries around an expensive and elaborate timepiece (waterclock?) and always makes an effort to keep track of time.

305) Or more realistically, someone who is obsessed enough with time that he's learned to accurately tell time based on the season and the stars.
306) Thinks he's a lycantherope because he wakes up in strange places that he doesn't remember how he got there, but is actually a sleepwalker.

307) Thinks he has been specially chosen by his god, stating that a patch of random freckles actually resembles his holy symbol. Even goes as far as to connect-the-dots with an ink pen to show people.

308) Believes everyone he meets is part of a doopleganger clan from his home town out to get him.
306) Thinks he's a lycantherope because he wakes up in strange places that he doesn't remember how he got there, but is actually a sleepwalker.

307) Thinks he has been specially chosen by his god, stating that a patch of random freckles actually resembles his holy symbol. Even goes as far as to connect-the-dots with an ink pen to show people.

308) Believes everyone he meets is part of a doopleganger clan from his home town out to get him.
309. Constantly swears, drinks, johns and always steals from and burns ___(insert evil nation here) ships when encountered, as a palidin.
310. Has a jacobs ladder, nipple rings, and at least 18 facial piercings (same pally)
311. smites evil on any caster who chills, heats, or repels metal
same battle
309. Constantly swears, drinks, johns and always steals from and burns ___(insert evil nation here) ships when encountered, as a palidin.
310. Has a jacobs ladder, nipple rings, and at least 18 facial piercings (same pally)
311. smites evil on any caster who chills, heats, or repels metal
same battle
312. Thinks he's bad at everything, whenever he does something right he chalks it up as dumb luck.

313. Has an obsession with anything more then 2 arms. (especially spiders).

314. Thinks he's a god and tries to smite anyone who questions him.

315. Believes the party rogue is constantly trying to steal his (instert most commonly used weapon/ or spellbook) while he sleeps, so he put said item into a safe before going to sleep.
316) He is unnaturally calm in any situation. He never runs even when danger comes hurtling towards him, he walks around in battle just looking around, figuring out some big plan. He always seems to walk away unscathed. Doesn't bother with stealth and fancy footwork, and is a rogue.

317) Dye's her hair a different color every day, has it in a different style every day and can go through 6 sets of different clothes a day. And she is a Barbarian.

318) He is incredibly camp.

319) Sticthes his opponents face to his own, like Mortiis does... :D (especially fun for a CE or CN Elf Hexblade who particulary hates Humans)

320) Sleeps for about 5 minutes every hour, thats all she needs.

321) She is a Pseudonatural Quarter-Fiend Quarter-Ogre, and whenever someone looks at her she says "what?, haven't you seen a Pseudonatural Quarter-Fiend Quarter-Ogre gal before".

322) He looks like a 5 year kid, but is actually a 500 year old wizened Wizard who was transformed.

323) Is a vocalist in an death metal band (all CN Troll Bards), called Fintroll ( ;) for those who know) and he a NG Cleric of Heironeus.

324) She is unbelievably attractive, and no one ever seems to attack her. Males of any species end up chatting her up or fighting one another over her. Females of species just stand there with envious looks on their faces, muttering rude words under their breath. She of course, hasn't a clue whats going on.

325) She considers all Aberrations to be cute (or attractive ). So whenever she see's a Carrion Crawler she go all girly and mushy "awwww, look at his 'adorable' wittle tentacles!, oh aren't you a cutie!". Its gets even worse when she meets the Mind Flayer BBEG, "say, sorry to disturb your evil plans, but, er, are you doing anything tonight?".

326) Whenever someone points out something really obvious to him (like when the adventurers arrive at the BBEGs castle), he looks around in confusion and shouts "where?" until someone turns his head in that direction in that direction. Even better if he is an Avoral... :p
327) He is a Vrock Ranger who believes himself to be a Human, and genueinely hates Demons, especially Vrocks. When someone points out he himself is a Vrock, he sneers and says "oh, just because im winged and covered in feathers im suddenly a demon, take a hike you fiend-hugging hippy!".

328) He always falls desperately in love with any attractive evil female NPC the party comes across. Whenever they start a battle with her, his friends draw their weapons whilst he draws a box of choclates and some flowers. Obviously, he is a Bard... ;)

329) She's a Ranger and her favored enemy is Butterflies. Although they are tiny harmless invertebrates, sheis convinced they are more intelligent and evil than 9 Lords of Hell combined. She always attempts to kill them with her huge 3 foot long crossbow. She has yet to ever kill one.
327) He is a Vrock Ranger who believes himself to be a Human, and genueinely hates Demons, especially Vrocks. When someone points out he himself is a Vrock, he sneers and says "oh, just because im winged and covered in feathers im suddenly a demon, take a hike you fiend-hugging hippy!".

328) He always falls desperately in love with any attractive evil female NPC the party comes across. Whenever they start a battle with her, his friends draw their weapons whilst he draws a box of choclates and some flowers. Obviously, he is a Bard... ;)

329) She's a Ranger and her favored enemy is Butterflies. Although they are tiny harmless invertebrates, sheis convinced they are more intelligent and evil than 9 Lords of Hell combined. She always attempts to kill them with her huge 3 foot long crossbow. She has yet to ever kill one.

wow, these are all great Ethereal Wickerman
wow, these are all great Ethereal Wickerman

Cheers dude, I have a somewhat demented view of the DnD world... :p
330) Everywhere he goes to, he has an angry girlfriend/s who want to know where he has been for the past 8 months. I mean everywhere. When they go into a village all of the town beauties carrying his children, they all slap him. When they later go to an Elven city in an ancient forest there are the princess and her servants with half-elven kids, he gets even more slasps. Eventually they get to the Abyss where a pack of Succubi, all pushing prams with half-fiend babies, give him especially painful slaps. He lose's half his HP a day from this... :D
331) Gets angry when rooms are a mess (aka when Tankards aren't on a coaster).
332) A male crossdressing Bard, genuinely believes he's a Girl.
333) A Cleric who deny's the existence of any god other than his own, and when somebodt attempts to argue with him he cups his hands over his ears saying "blah, blah, blah..."
334) A very highstrung and twicthy.
335) Very big and bulky ogre with a very high voice.
336) Very small and skinny halfling with a very deep voice.
337) Has a small, cute, but insatiably curious girl who follows him everywhere. Tends to ask him questions whilst in the midle of a fight.
338) Has big, curly red hair. And is a drow...
339) Has a pet dog which he risen from the grave, this dog isn't aware that it is undead.
340) A spellcaster that doesn't trust magic.

Where is everyone?, am I the only one?, did the apocalypse take place?, why wasn't I invited?...
341. A halfling that is scared to death of rocks.

342. Makes charms, talismans, etc. from dead bad guys, esp. vermin.

These were all from my last character, a CN female halfling barbarian with red eyes and 5 Int. :D

343. Obssessed with glowing (not shiny) things. The sorceror eventually tossed Continual Flame on one of the halfling's daggers.

344. Collects bodies or parts thereof after encounters. If there was another encounter, she used them as weapons. If they lasted till dinner, she ate them. Drove my DM nuts when I critted with a dead rat. :D There was also a tense moment when a cockatrice egg lasted until dinner.

345. ADHD. If the others talked too long, she threw a dead rat at the storekeeper/priest/whatever. In battle, she'd attack one guy for a couple rounds, get bored, and go after someone else.