Intimidating Rouge.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm looking for input on a build I've been working on. My goal here is to play the anti-rouge. One who is horrible in social interactions and doesn't take open lock or search.

Bloodtoof Goldgetta

Barb 2/Rouge 4/Avenging Executioner 4 (CS)/ Ghost Faced Killer 10 (CAdv)

Relevent Feats:
Power attack/leap attack
Intimidating rage
Imperious Command (DOTU)

Never Outnumbered skill trick

I like using ghost faced killer, a little used PRC class that seems to match my concept. I think that intimidating rage and Imp. Command really help flesh out the character. However I'm at a loss for other equipment and feats, before I built this character I thought that intimidate had scores of material based around it but it seems like I've found everything workable allready.
It seems that even by focusing on intimidate, you are usually in a coin-flip situation. So my only options are to improve my size, or to reduce thier saves to fear.
There are some tricks a half-orc can pull regarding Intimidate. I think they are from the menacing brute class. Also, Fighter usually works better for Rogues than Barbarians - specially with the Zhentarim Fighter around.

Search the boards for the Pain Train. I'm sure you will be impressed.
Menacing brute seems very meh to me. The extra duration shaken is nice, but I'm hoping for real fear, I have plenty of ways to get shaken right now. Also resourceful buyer seems like a good way to pester a DM to death.

Pain Train is interesting allright. Getting intimidate as a swift is nice, but I dunno if its fighter NINE nice.
There is a really good feat combination for Barbarians focusing on intimidate, though, but you should only get a level or so and take Extra Rage to help w/ the uses per day.

Intimidating Rage + Instantaneous Rage + Imperious Command + Never Outnumbered (skill trick) = Rage whenever, even when flatfooted, make intimidate checks against enemies w/in 30', and leave them cowering for a round. Beats Celerity.

edit: I see you've got that; don't forget the Instantaneous Rage, though.
I always liked the Half-Orc Paragon for Avenging Excutions with Barbarian. 1st level gets +4 Intimidate, 2nd level another rage 1/day, 3rd gives +2 str. Using a Half-Orc I always liked this build Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Half-Orc Paragon 3/Feat Rogue 2/Avenging Executionor 4/Gostfaced Killer 10. Feats: Intimidating Rage, Extra Rage, Power Attack, Improved Iniative, Menacing Demeanor, Instantaneous Rage, Leap Attack, Imperious Command, Skill Focus (Intimidate) not necessarily in that order.

The character has a high intimidate with base at level 20 23 (ranks)+ 11(feats and Class bonus)+ 2 (synergy from bluff) + Chr mod.

If you can use Whirling Frenzy instead of Rage it is even better with this build. If the fear is not workin you can always switch out Menacing Demenor and Skill Focus can easily be turned into Improved Bullrush and Shock Trooper.

Remember sneak attack does not trigger off of the Avenging Executioner dread blade ability.
Remember sneak attack does not trigger off of the Avenging Executioner dread blade ability.

Thats an interesting catch. I'm so used to lumping the two together that I read over that part. Luckly most of my build is sudden.

I didn't catch menacing brute somehow.
For more fear you could possibly add in Dreadful Wrath and Frightful Presence
Menacing brute seems very meh to me. The extra duration shaken is nice, but I'm hoping for real fear, I have plenty of ways to get shaken right now.

You do know that fear effects stack usually, right? If you're Shaken twice, then you're Frightened, etc.
You do know that fear effects stack usually, right? If you're Shaken twice, then you're Frightened, etc.

I ....uhhh.... did not know that.
Pain Train is interesting allright. Getting intimidate as a swift is nice, but I dunno if its fighter NINE nice.

Fighter 9 is really nice, especially when coupled with the Sneak Attack Fighter variant. Add a level of Marshal and Imperious Command, you get full BAB Sneak attacks every round.
4 levels of Hexblade would give you the Dark Companion (PHB II) and give your enemies a -2 penalty to just about everything. Plus a few other things that you might find useful.