Ur-Priest of the Athar

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi Folks,

Me and my friends decided to play an evil campaign, and while flipping through some books I saw the Ur-Priest.
While reading this fantastic entry (I soo love to summon an efreet, steal its wishes for a day, and giving them to my party), I though about that other ungodly PrC: "Athar Defiant".

This evoked feelings of glee, though now (without the alcohol) it seems less good as it was yesterday. Granted, I'm only at 8th level, so my casting s**cks as of yet.

Does anyone have some suggestions about this build?

Cleric5/Ur-Priest2/Athar1 (plus of course the 5 cleric levels), so I end up with:
Athar6/Ur-priest2.

Feats: Iron Will, Spell Focus Evil (<<< requisites)
Practised Spellcaster (<<< obvious)
Scribe Scrolls (I wanted to cast a lot of spells, so have to write scrolls

Ability Scores: (we rolled 2 sets of 6x4d6, choose the best)
Str: 11
Dex: 10
Con: 13
Int: 12 (needed for skills)
Wis: 20
Cha: 16

>> Would it be better to keep 2 levels of cleric, so I have better Rebuke Undead, and an extra caster level....
Also feat suggestions and Item suggestions would be duly appreciated :D
Doesn't Ur-Priest cut off any divine casting you had before entering it? That would kind of put the kaibosh on keeping any number of levels of cleric. I'm not familiar with Athar though, so I can't comment much on that. The cleric idea does sound bad though. Oh, and Urpriest GIVES you Rebuke Undead, which wouldn't stack (it combines levels, like cleric + paladin).

Hope this helps.
I thought I read at the class entry (complete divine) that the cleric levels I kept gave 1/2 caster level (or is that all other classes??) + their bonus on Rebuke Undead (I also noted that Ur-Priest got it at 2nd, but I remember reading that it stacks with cleric levels)

*Edit* What is a kaibosh?
Doesn't Ur-Priest cut off any divine casting you had before entering it? That would kind of put the kaibosh on keeping any number of levels of cleric. I'm not familiar with Athar though, so I can't comment much on that. The cleric idea does sound bad though. Oh, and Urpriest GIVES you Rebuke Undead, which wouldn't stack (it combines levels, like cleric + paladin).

Hope this helps.

I think that's why he's going Athar (Defiant) from Planar Handbook. Basically the Athar is like the Blackguard prestige class for paladins but for clerics. In given up his levels of clerics ("fallen" just like a paladin) He loses his cleric spellcasting and class abilities, which would include turn undead and gains the equivalent number of levels in Athar plus some extra goodies for falling. However he keeps weapons/armor profs, skill points, and feats.

Personally I would go Cleric 7 > Athar 7 for the Nondetection and 2/day Dismissal SLA and then go into Ur-Priest. Other than that if you could maybe take a level of warlock and somehow enter in the eldritch disciple prestige class (it says you must worship a chaotic or evil deity, I think you could convince your DM to wave that if you choose only the evil abilities of the class). That would work for the rest of the progression, if not just finish up Ur-Priest and then maybe Divine Oracle for the last few levels.
What is a kaibosh?

It basically means to end or finish.

Taken from Wikipedia

kybosh (International English) kibosh (American English)
'To put the kybosh on' is to do for something, finish it off, or simply to end it or terminate it. The OED says the origin is obscure and possibly Hebrew Yiddish, but it may be from the Irish an cháip bháis, 'the cap of death' [2] or cabáiste, cabbage [3].

Just thought of a build but the requirements may be up to DM interpretation.
Athar 7/ Ur-Priest 4/ Nar Demonbinder 3/ Mystic Theurge 6
You would need the feats Iron Will, Spell Focus Evil, Spell Focus Conjuration and Southern Magician for this to work. Southern Magician is Faerun (Forgotten Realms specific and its wording is awkward but if you can use it you will end up with 9th level divine spells and 8th level arcane spells.

Another Build
Bard 1/ Athar 7/ Ur- Priest 3/ Sublime Chord 2/ Mystic Theurge 7
You'll need the Apprentice Feat Entertainer, Spell Focus Evil, Iron Will, and Southern Magician for this one to work, however you'll have 9th level divine spells and 9th level arcane spells.
Try to get your DM to houserule that the divine spell resistance to not work with your own benefical spells.
Try to get your DM to houserule that the divine spell resistance to not work with your own benefical spells.

Not a problem:

A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities.

Thanks for the input so far.

On another forum there were also Athar-, or at least Ur-Priest builds, that mentioned Sublime Chord (probly coz its munch-able) but they used the Savage Bard from UA.
Why did they pick it? It makes your story worse, and only gives you slightly better spells, and a good fort save. That the only reasons? or something I'm missing?

It would finish at > Savage Bard5/Ur-Priest3/Sublime Chord blah blah.

Any suggestions on feats?

I really like the Nar Demonbinder variant :p It's SO evil.. And I like summoning demons. And stuff. Maybe more Demonbinder lvls, but that detracts from Divine casting, which was the crux originally. Also, it leaves out the Athar, which work well storywise (and anti-cleric outsider wise)..

Well enough ranting for now..
Sign In to post comments