D&D Insider

485 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here’s the thread to talk about the character creator (character sheets, character visualizer, etc.).
I would love to see a character sheet that fit's on 1 A4 page, front & back just 2 sides. No big stacks of paper for a single character :P
Here’s the thread to talk about the character creator (character sheets, character visualizer, etc.).

Okay, that sounds awesome. Now you've got me all curious.
This, I want. My handwriting is HORRIBLE, and I need something to help create characters for my players.
I would love to see a character sheet that fit's on 1 A4 page, front & back just 2 sides. No big stacks of paper for a single character :P

And for the love of gods, please a normal size character sheet like the current ones, and not one like SW Saga Edition that leaves 1/3 of the page white.

:P
Will this program/web app be 4dventure only, or will 3rd edition products be supported? Also have costs been announced?
Please tell me that it will have Support for all Suppliments.

I'd be really cheesed off if I bought something like the Tome of Magic, and then was unable to use the character creator to build a character using the new rules.

More to the point, you should make certain that the updates for new material are ready to be implimented BEFORE the books are released.
Brew'N Games: A Homebrewing Blog, Both Games and Beer. "The Sky is Falling Like a Sock of Cocaine in the Ministry of Information..." - Man Man, Black Mission Goggles
Character visualiser? Now my attention's peaked.
How will homebrew material work? will "homebrew" simply not be an option at the Insider's online tables? Or will DM's be able to write up a set of custom feats/classes/races in say a formatted text file and import them into the Character Creator for their players to use? Or from a spread sheet or xml or whatever format.

And what will the output look like? do we get a "in-game only" character sheet that gets edited automaticaly by the game. I assume characters will be able to be saved AT LEAST for a specific table...what about just being saved to our account in general, so we can use the same character at another table? Or best yet, a saved printable pdf, so we can use the editor to create well formated character sheets for our pen & paper D&D games in Joe's basement?
Since this sounds like it'll integrate a player's character sheet with a DM toolbox of stuff, please don't make a DM have to own every book for a player to use a particular ability.
Yeah. Supplement suppourt is a must and ought to be a given if we are to pay a monthly fee for DDI.

I want the character visualizer to feature my art. Is that too much to ask?

;)
It would be great to have a character sheet thats customizable. Perhaps sections that can be moved at the creators whims. Secondly, if .pdf, allow them somehow to be saved without having to get a full version of Adobe or downloading another program.
A good visualizer, especially for faces, would be most handy. I've been using HeroMachine (www.heromachine.com), which is great but far from perfect. Being able to make children and use other poses would be a huge boon.

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

How will homebrew material work? will "homebrew" simply not be an option at the Insider's online tables? Or will DM's be able to write up a set of custom feats/classes/races in say a formatted text file and import them into the Character Creator for their players to use? Or from a spread sheet or xml or whatever format.

+++

Support flexible house rules, or no deal. We all have them. If the system can't handle the fact that I've Tolkien-ized my elves (making them LA +X), or tweaked my halflings in some way, then no deal.

Supporting 90% of the rules I use at the game table is NOT "good enough."

No way, I'm all about ridiculous piles of paper. Everyone of my charaters needs a story and a background...and that takes piles and piles of glorious paper to rummage through...for me that is what D&D and tabletop gaming is all about :D
I am hoping that the new books will each come with a CD or online key that will enable purchasers to download the upgrades or add-ons to the original program.

I really liked the fact that 3.0 came with a CD ROM that included the character generator, and was rather disappointed that it was discontinued.

Having the books and aids on the computer is nice, but not everyone plays with their computer nearby, and not everyone has a laptop to lug to games. So I really hope that the generator will include the options of printing relevant information on a separate sheet.
+++

Support flexible house rules, or no deal. We all have them. If the system can't handle the fact that I've Tolkien-ized my elves (making them LA +X), or tweaked my halflings in some way, then no deal.

Lack of support for house rules, things from Dragon Magazine and other sources has always been one of the reasons why I never used a character creator.
Character visualiser? Now my attention's peaked.

Maybe something like City of Heroes' character building tool? :D

My handdrawing is horrible. A place to make my own 3d-hero would be awesome!
Please tell me that it will have Support for all Suppliments.

I'd be really cheesed off if I bought something like the Tome of Magic, and then was unable to use the character creator to build a character using the new rules.

More to the point, you should make certain that the updates for new material are ready to be implimented BEFORE the books are released.

Yeah this is a must for anything if were going to have to pay for it..
Yeah this is a must for anything if were going to have to pay for it..

I'd say its pretty likely that all of 4th edition will be covered under this new program. I'm sure it'll be much easier to implement the program with all new source books rather than going back and trying to include all of 3rd edition.
No way, I'm all about ridiculous piles of paper. Everyone of my charaters needs a story and a background...and that takes piles and piles of glorious paper to rummage through...for me that is what D&D and tabletop gaming is all about :D

I'd like to echo this sentiment. There's a reason I'm officially using NOTEBOOKS for my characters. Character sheets just don't cut it, but I lose all my random bits of paper (as demonstrated by the fact that I've lost a clipboard containing 4 different characters and a whole bunch of homebrewed stuff recently).

I'd also like to echo the need for support for houserules. That's got to be a straight up requirement, especially if we're expected to pay for this.

Mike,

When you have time to recover from the hundreds if not thousands of rabid fans could you field this question to the powers that be:

Will the Character Creator function of the Digital Initiative / DnD Insider be
solely for 4th edition, or will it also include 3.0 and / or 3.5 edition?

With the number of 3rd party character generators out there for 3.0 / 3.5 edition, some are worried about receiving cease and desist orders now that WoTC is going to have an official one again. I would applaud WoTC if they could officially state that the Character Creator on D.I. is for 4th edition only. This should help relieve any stress (especially with the thought of reviewing the October 2007 Rules Compendium for 3.5 edition) on the folks who have labored on their current generators since 2004 (or even earlier).

As always, thank you for your liaison-ship (is that even a word?)

Doug Emes
While I'd like for WotC to implement supplements into their character generator, I'd also like to see the possibility of house rule support, sort of like the 3rd-party applications you can add to your profile on Facebook.

I doubt this all can really be made printer-friendly, but I'm keeping my hopes up.
Will the Character Creator function of the Digital Initiative / DnD Insider be solely for 4th edition, or will it also include 3.0 and / or 3.5 edition?

Assuming it is 4th edition only, here is a FEATURE I would pay to have.
Since we are assuming this will be a pay for product, I would love it if the character creator would have the option of printing full rules sources for the character's abilities, spells, feats, etc. Not just a page and book abbreviation, but the full text of that ability/feat/spell/etc. That makes it so I could bring my character to a sit down game, and the DM wouldnt need to have all the books, and I wouldnt need to bring 8 books with me because I cherry picked from them.

For that matter, I would love being able to subscribe to a "Complete _ClassName_" feature, so that if I want to play a warlock, I can reference all warlock rules into one single source... Yeah, that might be a pipe dream, but I can dream can't I?
I would kill for a downloadable version of a character sheet that I can just modify on my pc. I would like one that if I say added to my con score it would go change all my skills, my hit points, and my fortitude save automatically.

It would be awesome even if you sold the program that did it, and just had a big list of things to choose from instead of me having to add it in. Like a really large list of feats and whne I hit level 3 it tells me, ok take your feat. Then the entire feat list opened up :D
Metal, you might want to look for a program called "TheOnlySheet" Im not sure if its still up to date, but it works in excell and, last i checked, updated like what yoru talking about (Exceept for a problem with skill points retroactivly increasing with INT gain)
Sir Casm, Lord of the Oblivious
What I would like for the "Character Visualizer" would be kinda like the Games, where you have a library of pre-drawn character archtypes that players can use or even a set group of "features" that you can scroll through to make custom portraits. But also you should have the ability to upload home-made pieces of artwork. So Bob Bobbly who can't draw can have a decent representation and Frank Frankly the Art School Grad Student can show off some of his custom work. Everybody wins!
Now that I've seen the video of the demo, I have a very serious request to make: body proportions.

The demo showed the slider for height in action, and I saw another slider. Now, some games with customizability allow for certain variations in weight and build, but none do it perfectly (although Phantasy Star Online did a pretty good job). I would like the programmers to consider other variables carefully.

In real life, I'm a psychologist. One of the things I work on is gender in the media, especially in video games. Very, very few games allow for realistic body proportions. It's demeaning and demoralizing, mostly to women but also to men, when all the male characters are muscular and all the female ones have slim waists and large breasts.

So from both a player's persspective and a moral one, I urge you, in the strongest possible terms, to add what would be an unprecedented level of body customization. Let people be fat or skinny, muscles or none. Let female characters be flat-chested. And if you really want to be kind to your players, have the "default" view not look like Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt.

I'd personally like to see child-like proportions available as well (large heads and eyes), but that'd be a bonus (and, psychologically, maybe not so great--games that let you beat up on kids, even nonrealistically, could potentially be harmful).

"Edison didn't succeed the first time he invented Benjamin Franklin, either." Albert the Alligator, Walt Kelly's Pogo Sunday Book  
The Core Coliseum: test out your 4e builds and fight to the death.

OK, I saw something in the first video that has me really excited about the DDI.

The physical books will have a code in them that unlocks content (database data) online. What does that mean?

We FINALLY will have a character generator that has access to books we purchase (in the char gen) without buying separate data sets or typing in a ton of info ourselves. Buy a book, use the stuff in the character generator.

This has sold me on the DDI. Can't wait.
I would also have to agree.

Me, I'm not at all interested in creating 'perfect'-looking characters. It's always the quirks that identify an individual from the next, and without these quirks, well... they're really not much of an individual without them.

Also, I have to throw in a vote for an option for flat-chested characters, male and female. It seems every single MMO these days just HAS to give males enormous pectorals. :P
+++

I haven't read this whole thread, but I wanted to reply to this.

"Tolkienizing" Elves is easily accomplished by simply stipulating that almost all Elves are 9+ levels, explained by the fact that they are mostly 10,000 years old. Of course they (as Tolkien Elves) suffer no negative stat degradation due to aging, but still gain the benefits of aging.

And tweaking halflings to be more like Hobbits is pretty straight-forward. That is "fluff" stuff and requires little mechanical adaptation.
I'd just like to n-tuple the request for allowing arbitrary customization. One problem I've had with previous sheets (The Singin' Sheet, for example) is that when I do some weird thing, or when the DM assigns some house rules, I can't fix the sheet to reflect that. Every single numeric field should be modifiable, separately from the others. Sure, maybe change the background if something's been modified so I remember that it's not going to auto-update, but I want to be able to change the numbers.

Also, the online character thing had better handle Linux. Sure, maybe require IE or Firefox, but it's D&D. If you can't handle nerdy operating systems, you're in the wrong market.
I'd personally like to see child-like proportions available as well (large heads and eyes), but that'd be a bonus (and, psychologically, maybe not so great--games that let you beat up on kids, even non realistically, could potentially be harmful).

A perfectly good reason to not enable child-like proportions. I will make no further comment....
Please tell me the graphical user interface won't be all colored-fluffy-themed-happy crap "a la" fisher's price or windows vista and it will only be a plain-but-usable-and-efficient interface!

Besides that I hope this will be updated at the same time the books will be released and that we'll be able to purchase/download those update book per book at a low cost OR at least that the bought books will come with something like a e-code, or e-pass, to get the update for the software at no additional cost. (it would be shameful to make us pay twice for the same feats and classes, right?)
Here’s the thread to talk about...character visualizer...

...wait, what? Character visualizer? This...intrigues me.
Yours, Dave the Brave
This, I want. My handwriting is HORRIBLE, and I need something to help create characters for my players.

It's called an Excel spreadsheet. Know it, use it....

...wait, what? Character visualizer? This...intrigues me.

I'm thinking something like Hero Machine:
http://www.ugo.com/channels/comics/heroMachine2/heromachine2.asp
Please tell me the graphical user interface won't be all colored-fluffy-themed-happy crap "a la" fisher's price or windows vista and it will only be a plain-but-usable-and-efficient interface!

Please tell me that it won't be a Windows (Vista or not) only application !

There are life outside Windows, like MacOS and Linux, and they are good technologies that allows cross-platform compatibility, like browser-based interfaces.

Please, don't make D1D Insideer a Windows-only suite...
You can see the video of some of the features on youtube, including the character visualizer, it looks pretty sweet.
Sorry, I am simply not going to purchase (and possibly pay a monthly fee to use???) a program to crank out character sheets when I should be able to do so with a copier and a pencil. I don't care if it sings the Ode to Joy and wipes your arear for you, the ability to crank out at least blank character sheets should come included with any purchase of the Player's Handbook. If I cannot make a character with nothing more than what is provided with the Player's Handbook, then I want nothing to do with this edition.

I hope this is an 'optional' gamer source, because I don't want this to turn into a situation like an MMO where all information contained on the server, including your characters, are the intellectual property of the owner of the servers and they can charge you a monthly fee to access that information. In particular I do not wish to be denied access to my characters because I am not paying them a monthly fee, no matter how trivial that fee might be.
So long as the character visualizer also includes all creatures in the Monster Manual, I'm set. There are no core races, in my current game.

The demo I saw on YouTube was quite discouraging. It showed a stock 2D view of a dungeon. I need a 3D interface, as my game is set entirely underwater.
Sign In to post comments