Twin Strike with an Archer Ranger question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a player that has taken the Archer Ranger build.

He has the Twin Strike level 1 exploit.

During combat he uses twin strike with a ranged weapn and two melee weapons (2 long swords.)

I'm starting to wonder, is this possible? Can an Archer Ranger weild 2 weapons or is that just a class feature of a Two-Blade Ranger build? And if he can weild 2 weapons with the Archer build can he use Twin Strike with both ranged and 2 melee weapons or does he have to pick one or the other? (like twin strike with ranged for Archer build and twin strike with 2 melee weapons for the two-blade build?)

TY in advance for any help you can offer.
_________________________________________________________ Craedus - Gatherer of new GW locales for the GW Community Atlas
EVERYBODY can wield two weapons. :P
All Two-Blade Rangers gain the ability to do is use all one-handed weapons as though they had the off-hand property.
Also, he can do either one whenever he wants. He does not have to pick whether Twin Strike is melee or ranged until he uses it, and the decision can change each time. It's not like, say, Eldritch Blast where you need to decide on variable specifics once and that stays with you forever. If it worked like that, it would say so.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Important note: Archer Rangers cannot dual-wield Longswords. (or any other set of 2 one-handed weapons that do not have the off-hand property)

He is fully capable of wielding one longsword and a weapon with the off-hand property, like a short sword, though.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Important note: Archer Rangers cannot dual-wield Longswords. (or any other set of 2 one-handed weapons that do not have the off-hand property)

He is fully capable of wielding one longsword and a weapon with the off-hand property, like a short sword, though.

THIS is very true, however, and I hadn't caught that. Yeah, you need to call him out on that...

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!