The Ten-Minute Background--Post your characters!

934 posts / 0 new
Last post
It was genius, and makes for a much less crowded thread. I'm a little disappointed in the degree to which that last post of yours took advantage of the opportunity to describe what you thought about my first character and background. ;)
WEContact:

Hoy. Nize hat.

I like him. I think I'd like travelling with him. His wonderlust is definately uncharacteristic of Jagerkin, but it makes him special.

I like how you tied in the Heterodyne scent factor in the secrets section. Also gives a good reason to travel with one of his companions.

I like the memories, too. I didn't think jagerkin could have kids. :\

All in all, it's wunderbar!
I didn't think jagerkin could have kids. :\

Danke. Vielleicht sind diese dir interessant.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060726

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060927

You'll note that after five generations, there doesn't seem to be any Jäger blood at all. This could be either because the blood is thinned over time, or because the Jägerbräu does not produce a genetic transformation, and Jägers give birth to human children.
I'll give it more thought when it isn't so late, and I'll change Ignatz's backstory if need be.
Danke. Vielleicht sind diese dir interessant.

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060726

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20060927

You'll note that after five generations, there doesn't seem to be any Jäger blood at all. This could be either because the blood is thinned over time, or because the Jägerbräu does not produce a genetic transformation, and Jägers give birth to human children.
I'll give it more thought when it isn't so late, and I'll change Ignatz's backstory if need be.

I've forgotten about those! Ha!

I like the background. I don't think you should change it. Also, another possibility for the non-jager off-spring is that the jager were once human, and have been genetically changed by the heterodyne experiments. However, just because something is changed genetically, doesn't mean the genes that determine off-spring have changed. Therefore, their offspring would be normal humans.

Back on topic, I'm going to post a warlord I've been thinking about for a while next. Gimme a day or two to write him up. :D

Edit: I just realized that my explanation is the exact same as your second. I blame it on it being 2am.
I've forgotten about those! Ha!

I like the background. I don't think you should change it. Also, another possibility for the non-jager off-spring is that the jager were once human, and have been genetically changed by the heterodyne experiments. However, just because something is changed genetically, doesn't mean the genes that determine off-spring have changed. Therefore, their offspring would be normal humans.

That's a good point, doesn't one of them mention somewhere that they were once human? The comic is so long its been awhile since I checked the archives, but the concept rings a bell.

Long live the Jagerkin!

Back on topic, I'm going to post a warlord I've been thinking about for a while next. Gimme a day or two to write him up.

Speaking of which, I should too. And yes I stole your spoiler idea...I likes it.

By the way, I really liked your Lady Rilia background. The imagery of this exquisitely masked (I assume you were talking about a Masquerade mask?) regal woman driving her enemies mad...*shudders at the scary awesomeness*
Long live the Jagerkin!

Change that around a bit, and it's entirely true! The Jagerkin live long!

Speaking of which, I should too. And yes I stole your spoiler idea...I likes it.

By the way, I really liked your Lady Rilia background. The imagery of this exquisitely masked (I assume you were talking about a Masquerade mask?) regal woman driving her enemies mad...*shudders at the scary awesomeness*

Heck ya! Check it out here: I was talking about her in the 31+ flavors of Warlock thread, and I posted a pic of her mask. :D

http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=16484055&postcount=57
Oh that is beautiful! I love those masques. I had an opportunity to go to one in a nearby city once, but unfortunately I couldn't go.

I'm drawing sort of cartoony pictures of my characters right now (eventually I'll do the entire party - its adorable and hilarious to see these cute little chibi-style characters looking really serious and badass :P) I'll link to them once I get them scanned.
Oh that is beautiful! I love those masques. I had an opportunity to go to one in a nearby city once, but unfortunately I couldn't go.

I'm drawing sort of cartoony pictures of my characters right now (eventually I'll do the entire party - its adorable and hilarious to see these cute little chibi-style characters looking really serious and badass :P) I'll link to them once I get them scanned.

Thanks! It took me forever to find a good example of her mask. I own 6 of them, all different, two unique (only ones in the world) that I picked up when I was in Venice.

Are you involved in a RL game, or an OL game?

Per your character, I like him. He's got a nifty history. I love stories that revolve around perceived time vs. real time. And I especially love the dirty little secret about Alinaera. :D
Thanks! It took me forever to find a good example of her mask. I own 6 of them, all different, two unique (only ones in the world) that I picked up when I was in Venice.

Are you involved in a RL game, or an OL game?

Per your character, I like him. He's got a nifty history. I love stories that revolve around perceived time vs. real time. And I especially love the dirty little secret about Alinaera. :D

Awww shucks... Thanks alot - I love getting feedback! Its funny how much of that I made up while writing it - it was only after I started that I realized how much I'd neglected his background (Which is NOT like me)

That's really cool (about the masks) I have to that part of the world sometime...

I play a RL game - although we've only had two sessions so far (in an 8th level adventure too - we had to bump our chars up) mostly just to test things out. before that I hadn't been able to arrange a game in almost two years! I just about went nuts trying get my DnD fix :P I ended up turning to some online Vampire: the Masquerade and Requiem games, most of which didn't last long, and I'm trying to find a RL party to play that as well...

Wow I talk to much
(Thanks for helping with a name!)

Roland Brahmson, Warlord

Step 1:
Concept/Background

1) Roland's father, Brahm, was a Captain in the King's army. Early on, his father made sure he knew battle tactics as well as court tactics.

2) His relation with his father was always poor. His father never thought he could do anything good enough, and made sure the boy damn well knew it. (Brahm hoped this would make the boy stronger).

3) At 8, he was sent to War College, to train to be an officer of the King's Army. His father hoped this would make him a better man.

4) He was weaker than most his classmates, and was constantly laughed at because of this. One partcilular boy, named Pheyal (an Eladrin), was his arch-nemesis at the school, and constantly made it well known how the eladrin were genetically superior in every way to humans. Roland's father helped perpetuate this, as he was infatuated with the fey. Pheyal was not only Roland's greatest enemy, but also his greatest fear.

5) By the time Roland was 15, his body matched his wit. He was one of the top students at the college, and very physically fit. This wasn't really noticed, though, as no one at the college was unfit. Academically, Roland was already one of the top. The only one who beat him was Pheyal, and he won at everything. Pheyal was the top student. However, with Pheyal's encouragement, Roland remained one of the most unpopular and laughed at students at the school.

6) It turns out, very few people actually liked Pheyal, and Roland had a growing silent group of supporters. The last week of school, he formally challenged Pheyal to honorable combat. Roland won, not through strength or wit, but through superior application of tactics. The crowd cheered, and Roland realized at this point how many actually respected him.

7) He graduated the top of the class, with honors. "Good job," his father, Brahm, said, "but I noticed your name is no where on the hall of Records. Mine is." "But Father! No one this year made it in the Hall of Records!" Brahm snorted, "Son, your enemy won't care how well your little friends did. He'll only care how well you do. Just because you beat your friend.. what was his name? Pheyal? in a little play match doesn't mean an ogre's balls to your enemy. I sent you here to be the best, and you can't even beat your own father's records. Disappointing."

Step 2:
Goals

1) He wants to gain rank within the King's army.

2) He wants to gain his father's respect.

Step 3:
Secrets

1) Roland has secretly developed a hatred against Eladrin, borderline being racist. He doesn't trust any he meets, and thinks they will all try to backstab him eventually. He doesn't let this known, though, as racism is strongly discouraged in the Kingdom, especially in the King's military. He knows it could hurt his career.

2) Pheyal has a passionate hatred for Roland, and is planning revenge against him.

Step 4:
Contacts

1) Brahm, Roland's father, is a Captain in the King's army, and Roland may always call on him for help, although he rarely will, as asking for help would be seen as weakness (or so Roland thinks).

2) Guyin Land was Roland's closest friends in the war college. Although not as strong a student as Roland was, he still graduated in the top 10. After college, Guyin was assigned to a guard unit in the king's courtroom.

3) Pheyal, eladrin warlord (or fighter?) who passionately hates Roland.

Step 5:
Memories

1) Roland remember's the first day of school. Everything looked so large and daunting, but he was up for the challange. He walked up the steps to the main doors and entered. He took his first step through the doors when an eladrin stepped in front of him, smiled, and decked him hard enough to make him stumble back down the stairs. "You got to be stronger than me to survive this college, boy!" The Eladrin yelled. Brahm laughed and walked away.

2) He remembers the day he fought Pheyal and won. That was the day he realized just how much support he had (everyone was afraid to speak up because of Pheyal).

3) After the graduation (and the talk with his father), other students started to trickle up to him, to request to be in his unit when he gets one. More and more, graduates and lower classmen would request to be in his unit as soon as they could. Everyone seemed to want to serve under him. he was so full of pride, he almost cried. Almost.

Other

Right after he won the fight against Pheyal, Roland was heard to say,
"You may be genetically superior, Eladrin, but I'm the one still standing." This quickly became a story of encouragement for younger classmen to rise above their set-backs and challenges, and to face hardships head on.

New:
What made me design this character

About a year ago, I was involved in a D&D meet-up group that met once a month to play one-session adventures. During one of those sessions, another fellow and I played elves, while the rest of the group (10 or 11 of us total, with one DM) played various other races: mostly humans, a dwarf or two, one half-ogre, and probably something I can't remember.

Well, this other fellow and I instantly got along, and we role-played our characters from introduction until we had to leave the restaurant we were playing at. All in all, about 7 hours. (We had a deal with Denny's to allow us the use of their private party room once a month). Well, we played our elves as "Genetically Superior" to all other races. Elves were simply better. At everything. Period. We were elitists. We're better than you, and we're going to make sure you damned well know it. It was fanstastically fun!

Well, Roland came to me about a week ago when I was remembering the old elf brothers. I was thinking about designing a human who had a history of dealing with such bantor, and decided he'd had enough. I came up with the phrase, "Genetically superior or no, I'm the one walking away." As in, walking away alive. The human got so infuriated at the "genetically superior" elf that he killed him. You can't be superior if you're dead.

Naturally, as things go, the character doesn't always flesh out to the original idea. I wanted Roland to be of a general good nature, one people would like, so instead of killing the elf, he just beat him up. And I also needed a scenario where he would constantly have to be dealing with said elf. What better place than a youth military school?

With the elf still alive, Roland now has an ongoing enemy who is not necessarily evil, which makes for better role-playing. :D The bantor and dealings with a mean elf (Eladrin, in this case) is a perfect set-up for a good hearted character with a horribly bad trait (racism), and as he developes, he has the potential to be completely racist, or see the errors in his ways.

All in all, it started with me wanting to create a character who wasn't genetically superior, and kick the crap out of someone who was.

Hence, the creation of Roland Brahmson.
I like it. It's not far-fetched, it can easily fit in a lot of settings, it firmly establishes his character, and I think his name should be Roland.
I like it. It's not far-fetched, it can easily fit in a lot of settings, it firmly establishes his character, and I think his name should be Roland.

Agreed. And maybe Father's name will be...Bram. Roland, son of Bram...has a nice ring to it.
Brahm, to make sure people don't pronounce it nasally? Roland, son of [Brom] sounds much better than Roland, son of [Breehm].
Brahm, to make sure people don't pronounce it nasally? Roland, son of [Brom] sounds much better than Roland, son of [Breehm].

THAT'S what it needed - thank you sir. Yup much better. That's the sound I had intended.

Thank you both! Your suggestions are great! I'm making the changes now. :D

Now.. if I could only get involved in a game soon. The DM I know RL said the campaign would start mid-August, and I haven't heard anything about it in the past two weeks. Grrr...
Here is a character of one of the players playing in my dungeon (pretty interesting so I thought that I'd share it).

REXOSAUR

History
1. Rex was born in the largest concentration of Dragon born in your world. He was to be a warrior like his ancestors before him. His family was royalty and named him Rexosaur as he was expected to be king of the area. Instead of focusing solely on being a warrior, he found Avandra his calling. If he had chosen Bahamut, and chosen to be a paladin it may have been acceptable. Alas, such was not the case. He was forced out of concentration by his father and mother…king and queen.

2. Rex did not want to be king of the concentration and wanted to travel and make his own mark on the world. That is the reason for worshipping Avandra.

3. Rex is pretty much a loner for the time being, not wanting to be tied down to any specific area or any group of people who he feels will rely on him as it reminds him of his homeland.

4. Rex has gone from town to town and adventure to adventure making acquaintances and those who have relied upon him or are indebted to him along the way. He always leaves whenever he feels that people become too reliant upon him and do not work out problems for themselves.

5.Despite his desire to make his own way, he does have the need to help others and leaving when in need conflicts with number 4.

Goals
1. Ultimately, Rex wants to become a King in his own right. This can be done by creating his own concentration of dragon born, or his family’s acceptance.

2. It would be cool if Rex found someone who, for some reason, he will share his adventures with or that he became a more direct agent of Avandra.

Secrets
1. Rex left someone behind that he is in love with, Saural, but could not face it as, once again, because this would have tied him down.

2. He has yet to realize that by worshipping Avandra, it is antithetical to his desire to become king and/or create another concentration of dragonborn

3. Bahasaurus is secretly working for a mysterious deity (even Bahasaurus is unaware who the true god is) who promised him immortality if he laid siege and destroyed a majority of the dragonborn city of Avandraconia. After he has laid siege to said city he is to kill Avandra champion Rexosaur. Bahasaurus is unaware of the gods true intentions though. The dark unknown god knows the secret that Avandra’s real name is Avandragon the birth mother of all dragons and dragonborn. Over time when Avandra first made the dragons and the dragonborn a majority of them felt compelled to be mortally good or evil mainly drawn into by the influence of Bahumat and Tiamat. All dragonborn who still worshiped there creator all are limited and have decided to join in one city and to protect the secret of Avandra. Avandra knew that if the city and its inhabitants were killed or mostly killed Avandra her self would die causing all creatures she created and all creature that they created and so on, would die. So, to counter this she blessed a future king in a major city in Dragopolous with her blessing so when he became king the dragons and dragonborns he would spread the word of Avandra to strengthen and unite all of dragon kind. With the mysterious dark god and his puppet Bahasaurus it appears as though Rexosaur may be the last of dragon kinds hope...

Connections
1. Mom and Dad….ie King and Queen (count them as either 1 or 2 people). As any good parents, they love their son but are very disappointed on his life choices. You can figure out what they want to do about it.

2. The dragonborn female, Saural, also loves him but never really admitted it to him, as Rex was always a little distant in dealing with her. She does not know why.

3. The high priest Bahasaurus of Rex’s homeland wants to see him dead, since he spurned Bahamut and if Rex is successful (being a worshipper of Avandra), it could undermine Bahamut’s influence with the dragonborn.

4. Rex has a dragonborn friend, Grindal, who is a worshipper of Bahamut, and is aware of Bahasuarus’ designs to keep Rex from being successful. (yeah, I know this is more than you asked)

Memories
1. Rexosaur remembers his times with Grindal and they had many philosophical arguments about the pros and cons of Bahamut and Avandra. He treasures those times as he was able to find friendship with someone, even though they have very different outlooks on life.

2. Rexosaur remember rolling very badly and being utterly ineffective. It gives him nightmares almost every night.

3. Rexosaur remembers Saural’s beauty and scent and the beauty of her curves and longs to see them again, but believes that he cannot be with her as he is unworthy.
I got the chance to introduce a few new NPCs at last night's game, so I figure now would be a good time to write backgrounds for them, so that I can keep my information straight when I bring them back. So you get a two-fer today! Presenting Bharhazd Berama and Gaston Duchamps!

The Ten-Minute Background of Bharhazd Berama, Dragonborn Noble and Gentleman Adventurer

Step 1: write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character.

"Ah, good sir! A pleasure to make the acquaintance of one such as yourself. I would like, if I may, to take you on a strange journey, and spin a colorful tale to while away the hours of the evening. What say you?"

Background
1) Bharazhd is a Dragonborn scholar, self-made noble, and gentleman adventurer. He is an amateur archeologist who enjoys physically exploring the past and holds himself with an aristocratic air.
2) He has learned the fighting style of a rogue and some tricks of the warlord's trade through his travels and adventures, and has many fascinating tales of his wanderings.
3) He has decided to retire from his life on the road, and has chosen St. Clarice to do so, mainly because of the opportunities the Shroudmist Forest offers him for further exploration, should he chose to resume his wandering lifestyle.
4) Bharazhd enjoys mingling with the upper crust of St. Clarice, and he is a regular fixture at most balls and formal events.
5) Bharazhd displays a wide variety of talents and lore. As he describes himself, he is "extremely versatile."

Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game.

"Hello, there! Stay a while, and listen! For I come from the lands of the ice and snow, from the midnight sun where the hot springs blow!"

Goals
1) Bharazhd began as a flavorful NPC that the players want to see again. So I took some time to delve into his background and flesh out his concept a little more.
2) Bharazhd's status as possible patron will work out as the players reach Paragon Tier and get more involved with the
Show
White Fox Conspiracy arc

Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!

"I see. A very interesting ploy, skillfully played. You seem quite pleased with how you have managed to steal from the mouths of orphans and beggars. But, perhaps it would behoove you to remember the moral of the Parable of the White Fox, and the fate of the king of the ants thereof."
--Bharazhd to Gaston Duchamps

Secrets
1) Bhrazhd is a member of the White Fox Society and has for most of his adventuring career. He makes it his business to check up on the various cells and make sure that they haven't fallen to corruption. In this way, he acts as a sort of "internal affairs" for the Society at large.
2) Bharazhd has drawn the attention of Old Leroux, who wants to make sure that the nosy "gentleman adventurer" keeps his attention focused elsewhere. Old Leroux is likely to act against him.
Show
3) Bharazhd is aware of the truth behind the White Fox Society's ties to the Eladrin Court, and, frankly, he dislikes what he has learned. He would like to see the society move more in line with its stated goals and act less like a spy ring and secret police. He would like to see this happen before he settles down for good, and is likely to help those he feels can bring this about.

Step 4: Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. All can do something useful for you, if you can get the situations to line up. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

"Halt! Stand and deliver, villain, or the Seven may take you!"
--Bharazhd to the assassin Tayce

contacts
1) Bharazhd is growing fond of the half-elf Audric Cwellen, paladin of Amyra. He feels a kinship withe the passionate warrior, and likes acting as a guide and mentor.
2) Bharazhd also enjoys speaking with Angelique and Marcel DuParis, the married couple who run the Lyceum of Amyra. They while away the hours sharing many tales.
3) There is an assassin that Bharazhd has had the misfortune of encountering, an unpleasant man named Tayce who has managed to avoid capture thanks to his Shadar-Kai abilities. Bharazhd would like nothing better than to see that rapscallion given what for!

The Ten-Minute Background of Gaston Duchamps, Greedy Master Merchant

Step 1: Write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character.

*slurp, chomp, munch* "Why, I remember the days when I first started in this fine trade. I had naught but a tiny cart in the bad side of town to my name, but through hard work and shrewd practice, I have built an empire of trade and commerce! Today, I have my finger on the pulse oof the very lifeblood of the Republic. And, if you are willing to do what is required of you, you, too, may find yourself rising to such lofty heights one day."
--Gaston, to a newly opened business, attempting to get them to join and pay the exorbitant guild dues.

Background
1) Gaston Duchamps is the corpulent merchant master of the Merchant and Shipper's Guild, most commonly known as the Merchantmen.
2) He has connections, wealth, and influence, and is one of the most powerful men in St. Clarice thanks to these resources. His guild has a stanglehold on local shipping and merchant interests, and just about anyone who wants to do business in the city has to deal with his guild in some fashion.
3) He is also considered one of the most unpleasant people to be around. He likes to brag about building his business up from nothing more than a single cart in the town square, but the truth is he was born to an already wealthy merchant family. His control of the guild was seen as almost inevitable.
4) Despite his unpleasant presence and manners, he is a shrewd and ruthless businessman, and can negotiate a deal with anyone. This business acumen serves him well, and he has built a comfortable lifestyle for himself.
5) Currently, his guild is running into problems with the local dockworkers. The dockworkers are attempting to form a union to combat unfair wage and work condition policies, as well as to protest the growing use of warforged as cheap dock labor. Several rallies have occurred, and Gaston is doing his best to keep the Dockworkers under his thumb.

Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game.

*chomp, munch, slurp* "Pah! Please, pay no more mind to that varlet's pathetic pleading. He is merely attempting to acquire coin he has not earned. The poor are so because they are not willing to do the work required of them to make them rich. They deserve their rags. Let us leave him to them. On, driver!"
--Gaston to a "lady friend", on poverty.

Goals
1) Gaston is a background villain, the kind of guy who isn't really involved in the main campaign arc but is the driving force behind some of the stuff the players get to hear about in the game. He has the potential to move from Beta-Villain to Alpha-Villain if the party decides to pursue him.
2) Since I have a tendency to use villains that have a lot of supernatural, epic, world-shattering plans, Gaston is my attempt to create a more familiar, down-to-earth villain for the players to deal with. His power and resources are more social than supernatural, and his goals are more down-to-earth. That makes him a refreshing change of pace from villains like Gerard or Mai'ali for me.

Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!

*slurp, chomp* "You refer, perhaps, to the fabled 'White Fox Society,' perhaps? Oh yes, I've heard about them. Stuff and nonsense, of course. Even if such a band of roustabouts were to actually exist, their influence would be quite limited indeed...and unable to stand in the face of TRUE power. No, let the common rabble know their place. No one would possibly want to champion them."
--Gaston to Bharazhd Berama, making a terrible mistake.

Secrets
1) Gaston is involved in trade with the halfling smuggling ring. This doesn't just move tariff-free contraband--it has moved narcotics, weapons, and occasionally slaves through this network. Currently, the smuggling ring is moving changelings from the Feywild into hiding in The World, though this sort of mortal smuggling doesn't pay enough for Gaston's tastes.
2) Gaston has made many enemies, but the one that will cause him the most problems is the one he thought was a friend. Anatole Delaurant, Guildmaster of the Artificer's and Enchanter's Guild, wants to cut the Merchantmen out of the distribution of the rare and expensive components The Guild uses for the construction of their magical inventions. He is behind the recent troubles the Merchantmen are having with the Dockworkers.
Show
3) Gaston secretly wants to control the finances of the whole of St. Clarice. He is not as harmless as he appears. He has dabbled in Diabolic Pacts for wealth, and can count on a number of devil servitors...at least until they claim his soul. He is thinking of unleashing some of these devils to strike at his enemies, though he is not sure how to do so without getting caught.

Step 4: Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. All can do something useful for you, if you can get the situations to line up. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

"You had better make this worth my while, good sir. It is almost time for my afternoon luncheon. Ah! The newest shipments have arrived! Good, good. Now, there is a small tent in the Rue Angelique that has decided to forgo Guild protection. It would be awful, simply awful, if something tragic were to happen to the proprietor, don't you think?"

Contacts
1) Gaston has his fat fingers in a lot of pies. He is good friends with Anatole Delaurant, the dwarf who runs the local branch of the Coralton Artificer's and Enchanter's Guild. Through these connections, he gains a direct line to the city's warforged creation forge and workers for the docks. This has the local dockworkers upset, as the warforged work more hours for lower wages and are built to be more accommodating, forcing normal people out of work. This situation is turning into a hot-button issue in city politics.
2) Luckily for Gaston, another person he considers an ally, if not an actual friend, is Lord Mayor Jean-Claude Montaire, who bestowed a generous noble title upon the corpulent merchant in return for a generous donation. The noble lends much weight to the fat man's interests.
3) Gaston is also courting the attention of the leader of the Draconic Brotherhood, Bodak Steelgrinder. He hopes to woo the dragonborn into an alliance in the hopes that having mercenaries at his beck and call will make his enemies think twice about striking at him.
4) On the shadier side, Gaston is in tight with one Garibaldi Rumpelstiltskin, a halfling merchant who is almost as wealthy as he is. Garibaldi is, in fact, the ringleader of a halfing smuggling ring that moves cargo through St. Clarice, and Gaston happily supplies the halfing with the aid of his Guild in return for a generous cut of the profits.
5) One person not on Gaston's side or in his pocket is Sheriff Bulrick Barin, the Iron Bastard, who has nothing but contempt for the fat merchant. In fact, Bulrick suspects his ties to the halfling smuggling ring, and would like nothing more than to see the obese trader fall hard.
56816218 wrote:
What I find most frustrating about 4E is that I can see it includes the D&D game I've always wanted to play, but the game is so lathered in tatical combat rules that I have thus far been unable to coax the game I want out.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray
Ok ok, here's my character that I rolled up when I was a kid but never played (when DandD insider goes up I hope that changes!)

Sorry this one is so long

Character: Flick "The Fantastic" (self given nickname lol)

Human/Fighter AL: Good
Str: 13
Con: 18
Dex: 13
Int: 14
Wis: 6
Chr: 13

History/Background

1) Flick's childhood was spent as an ordinary widowed farmer's son on the outskirts of civilized land. His pa grew cranberries, cultivated honey, and kept a selection of livestock. Flick was the youngest of 2 other still living male siblings. He had 5 brothers overall, but 3 have passed away.

2) Flick was relatively out of place on the farm, being a bright but uneducated young man with little or no common sense and hardly any aptitude with complicated manual labor.

3) Flick was always drawn to the gorgeous woods that grew near his family's property and would sometimes sneak out at night to wander them (only a short distance) to observe the interesting frogs and bugs

4) At the age of 13 Flick recklessly wandered deep into the woods, drawn by the sound of feminine giggling. As a pubescant farmboy with only his pa and brothers for company it is no wonder that Flick pursued the noise long past any sensical restraint. The pixies that were toying with him eventually drew him to their best friend's home. A nymph named Sonja who lived in a gorgeous waterfall grotto.

5) Sonja was delighted at the quaint gift of Flick, thanked her friends, and proceeded to raise her new pet (Flick). She had lost her favorite plaything/bodygaurd rather recently and therefore was pleased to task her only remaining servant (a young noble whom she thought was getting too old) to put Flick through a rigorous regime of education and exercise so Flick could become her next favorite lover...five years later she decided Flick failed to live up to her expectations and he was transported away at night by the pixies

Goals

1) Deep down, Flick suspects (but continues to suppress) that he was being used by Sonja for years and found lacking. I want Flick to eventually grow comfortable with himself and become a hero for his own reasons and not through a sense of inadequacy.

2) I want Flick's view of the opposite sex to mature past his bizzare upbringing and for him to find a female companion he is able to see as a friend/equal and not a lover/mother/object of worship (he's pretty screwed in the head right now people!)

Secrets

1) Despite the fact that he carries himself with the air of a well trained swordsman and weilds an impressive blade with fearless abandon (his bastard sword), Flick has never killed anything yet in his life!

2) Flick has an unhealthy attraction for females of any fey race. His lack of adjustment gaurantees that any "healthy" relationship is basically impossible for him right now. Basically he can spiral into a life of being either used or babied or he can get a hold of himself (right now, his Wis 6 isn't looking too good )

Close Friends...Closer Enemies

1) The local chancellor (a human wizard named Geor) has a daughter Robyn who is absolutely smitten by Flick's good looks and awkwardly charming manner. She is a wealth of information and always willing to help Flick or his friends (Streetwise +5 and Insight +6)

2) His roommate, Gordon, who share's rent with Flick at the "Selkie's Sad Eyes" is an older gent that seems to have been everywhere and knows everything! But maybe he's just full of it ;). He's drunk all the time anyways (66 yr. old lv 3 bard; Wis 18/or 8 when drop dead drunk; Bluff +12, History +10, Arcana +5)

3) A manipulative Teifling, Es'erelda, is always in trouble with the Chancellor and Robyn and has lately had her eye on the foolish and susceptible Flick after she noticed Robyn's infatuation. He'd be a useful tool in her mechinations (Lv 2 rogue, Bluff +8, Insight +5)

memories

You come up with a few!!! I'd like to see some of your ideas
Gabriel,

I see The Stray didn't follow our examples and put everything in hide boxes. :D

WaldoDi, Stray, and pos26.. Don't have time now, but I'll be back in a few days and check out your characters. From a brief look-over, they look pretty interesting.

Gentleman Adventurer? hehe.. GG much?

Also, I have another good idea for a character. I'll post with in the week. :D
Gabriel,

For shame!!

I wonder if he's as obnoxious as Othar though, no mean feat.

I look forward to it. I've tried to write my second one, but I've hit the Trojan Wall of writer's blocks, so it could be awhile.
I look forward to it. I've tried to write my second one, but I've hit the Trojan Wall of writer's blocks, so it could be awhile.

Here's some rope. Start climbing.
Gabriel,

WaldoDi, Stray, and pos26.. Don't have time now, but I'll be back in a few days and check out your characters. From a brief look-over, they look pretty interesting.

Heh, it's my thread, I'll post how I want to. I like to copypasta my finished backgrounds into a word document, and I get formatting issues when I use spoiler blocks, so it's easier for me when I only have one spoiler block to worry about per post.

And yes, GG much. Othar rocks :D
56816218 wrote:
What I find most frustrating about 4E is that I can see it includes the D&D game I've always wanted to play, but the game is so lathered in tatical combat rules that I have thus far been unable to coax the game I want out.
Heh, it's my thread, I'll post how I want to.

I lol'd.

And yes, GG much. Othar rocks :D

Indeed! :D
Here's some rope. Start climbing.

Heh. Thanks.

Othar may rock, but GOD he's annoying...then that is the point...I like Gil's recent developments.

*Goes back to climbing the godforsaken wall *
WaldoDi

Rex Character: Seems like a solid background. I like his internal conflict of not wanting others to rely on him, yet he want to be king (where a whole country will rely on him).

In his memories section, what does "Rexosaur remember rolling very badly and being utterly ineffective" mean? I'm not familiar with the term "rolling" outside of a dice roll.

The Stray

Bharazhd, Gentleman Adventurer!: I like him. He's got a good solid past of adventuring, and seems to fit the "retired adventurer" role quite well, even to the point of mentoring others. Although I have the feeling retirement won't last long. :D

Gaston Duchamps: I like him as a villian. He lies and cheats to gain power and control, and he seems like the kind of guy to order someone killed one moment, and completely put that person out of his mind the next (as if the person never existed). He seems like he has such confidence that his men will never betray him (probably because they fear him).

pos26

Flick: That's a fun background! That'd be the perfect kid for Bharazhd to mentor. :D I'm sure he'd nearly kill himself! I like Flick, though. He'd be good for a full campaign surrounding his town.
Liras
Elven Rogue/Wizard/Daggerspell Mage

Step 1: write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character.

1) Liras is trained in the ways of arcane magic and the way of the rogue. He seeks to perfectly meld them together in his own unique style of fighting.
2) Liras is a trusted friend of a self-made trade prince who was inducted into the Ricci family, one of the four governing families of Marino.
3) Liras is distrustful of other Elves. While not openly hostile, he prefers to avoid them if he can. His companions often question this behavior, but he remains tight-lipped.
4) Liras was declared the guardian of his Ricci friends/employers only son, Verochio. As Verochio grew up their relationship developed into a strong friendship.
5) Not long after Verochio left home to find his own way in life, Liras was struck with wanderlust. Part of this was his elven blood, the other was his desire to see his friend again.

1) Solving the mystery of the death of his younger sister, Elsi, for which he was blamed.
2) To find a way to bring her back to life as atonement for his failure to protect her.

Secrets

1) Liras was accosted from the Elvish lands he grew up in after being found guilty for the death of his younger sister. He knows he is innocent, but not how she truly died.
2) He sails the high seas of Marino with Verochio in search of a famous pirates plunder that contains an artifact that grants the holder one wish.
3) His sister was murdered by a stray vampire who nearly starved to death avoiding the elven patrols. When the time finally came where he needed to feed he took the life of Elsi and framed Liras to mask his tracks.

1) Verochio Ricci: Verochio is the closest thing Liras has ever had to a friend in the longest time. A self-proclaimed pirate and treasure hunter, he has a knack for not only getting himself but Liras into more than enough trouble.
2) Elsi: Elsi is his deceased sister. Blamed for her murder, he now seeks to restore her life and bring to justice the one who took it in the first place.
3) Tamir: Tamir is the former lover of Elsi. When she was murdered and Liras was declared guilty he swore to avenge her death. Younger and less skilled than Liras, he trains to become strong enough to one day avenge his love.

Step 5: Describe three memories that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

1) The scene of his sisters murder. Her throat cut while she slept. Strangely, there was not as much blood as one would expect from a throat wound.
2) Sitting in a jail cell with Verochio after being apprehended by the town watch. Verochio thought it would be a good idea to steal a cloak of invisibility from a wizard and use it to cause havoc around town. Liras reluctantly follows him, and they get caught.
3) Tamir declaring he would have revenge. Having someone he considered a close friend betray him in a moment of blind rage. The combination of self-pity and the guilt for the hurt that his friend was feeling while he could not prove his innocence.

This is the character I'm running currently. Verochio Ricci is actually another players PC. I'm so in love with this character, and I'm sure our DM loves the random plot hooks I've provided him with. The setting also has a very Italian aesthetic to it that the DM works very well.

I felt the need to post this and bump the thread as well. I'm DMing a game soon and plan to pass this out to my players. :D

Stray and Neceros, freaking awesome.
Bharazhd, Gentleman Adventurer!: I like him. He's got a good solid past of adventuring, and seems to fit the "retired adventurer" role quite well, even to the point of mentoring others. Although I have the feeling retirement won't last long. :D

Knowing my group? No, he probably won't! :D

Gaston Duchamps: I like him as a villian. He lies and cheats to gain power and control, and he seems like the kind of guy to order someone killed one moment, and completely put that person out of his mind the next (as if the person never existed). He seems like he has such confidence that his men will never betray him (probably because they fear him).

Thank you muchly! He exists in contrast to several other villains, and he serves to give my party the pick of bad guys to go after. I like to try to "plan wide" and allow the party to pick which plotlines they'd like to pursue. I see him as a little like Dr. Robert Kelso from Scrubs: nice one moment, horrible and petty the next.
56816218 wrote:
Bendon Mawl (Lord Imogen Lorrynson)
Warlord, MC Wizard

Step 1:
Concept/Background

Campaign flavor:
Slightly common saying of the King's court, "Wizards are the magic against magic. Soldiers are the steel against steel.

Only uneducated peasants try to foolishly mix the two."

Onto character's concept:

1) Imogen/Bendon is the 8th son of Viscount Lorryn Stronghilt. 17 siblings. Parents loved their children very much, but with such a large family, there was little parent/child contact. Family was run with military rigity, as Lorryn earned his Viscount title through war and conquest. Although he's now retired, he still remains very active in the King's court as a military advisor.

2) It was decided from a very young age that little Lord Imogen would become a war general, and all of his education and training has been geared towards that endevour. As young Imogen grew, his natural abilities and potential to become a great tactical leader became very appearant to his father and teachers.

3) Imogen found that he does not love this position decided for him. Although he is honor-bound to perform his duties to their maximum potential, his true passion lies in other areas.

4) As a child, he befriended the King's vizier, a knowledgeable wizard of potent power. Lorryn was against this relationship. "Leave wizardly matters to wizards, son. Your duties lie on the battlefield, leading men to glorious victories. You may utilize the wizards, but to dabble in their arts will only distract you from your true purpose."

5) Dispite this warning from his father (and a standing order for his mentors and teachers to keep him away from magic), the young Lord secretly pursued the Arts. Now, he has grown into a fine young man, strong of head and arm. He is strictly duty bound to his chosen career as an officer in the King's Army.

I'm changing the order of secrets and goals, because you need to understand his secrets to understand his goals.

Step 2:
Secrets

1) Imogen secretly joined a society of wizards and other magic enthusiasts, called the Arcane Brotherhood. To hide his identity, he adopted the persona Bandon Mawl, dressed in a completely different manor, changed his walk, and changed his hair color through the use of temporary dyes.

Aside: Imogen now considers himself the wizard Bendon, with the "diguise" of Leftenant Imogen. Although he performs his duties to the King without question, he does it with exacting passionless precision. He works to the letter of the order, exactly as told or written. His true passion lies in the Magical Arts.

2) Some of his fellow members at the society are starting to suspect Bendon. Although they don't particularly care what he does "on the outside" as they say, some may use this to blackmail him.

3) Any other suggestions? The last one seems kind of weak, in my opinion.

Step 3:
Goals

1) Bendon wants to become a powerful Wizard.

2) Bendon wants to find a way to honorably and justly leave his position in the military without sacrificing his nobility, and retaining the respect he has earned with his family and the King, and commands with his men. In short, he want to completely combine Imogen and Bendon so he no longer has to live two lives.

Step 4:
Contacts

Beyond his family, who he is in good standing with:

1) Dox Bereth, a fellow magic enthusiast and friend. Dox introduced Bendon to the Arcane Brotherhood, and the two have become close friends in the past few years. (Although Dox doesn't know Bendon's true identity).

2) Sougad Ninth, one of the wizards of the society who suspects Bendon's dual life. Although he is a friend of Bendon, if he were to find out, he wouldn't hesitate to blackmail Bendon for more power.

3) Vorina Browen, a Lady with eyes for Lord Imogen. She's been trying to court Lord Imogen for some time now, but as he is passionless as Imogen, he has taken to just slightly ignoring her. (This only makes her try harder).

Step 5:
Memories

1) Bendon remembers the first time he heard about the Magical Arts. He remembers the feeling of awe and instant fascination. Those emotions have only grown stronger in the past 15 years.

2) Imogen remembers the day he tried to become Bendon, trying to don a new persona to sneak into the "common lands" of the city was ungainly and laughable for anyone trained in disguise or theater. He's gotten better.

3) Bendon remembers when he first heard of the Arcane Brotherhood, and the feeling of uncertainty mixed with wonder and awe as he was introduced to his fellow members.

What made me design this character

I recently watched The Prestige, again. I love that movie. I should get around to buying it one day. Anywho, (Spoiler alert if you haven't seen the movie!) there's a character who's from a very rich and noble background, and he's only doing what he does because he loves it. He changed his name so he wouldn't embarrass his family, who consider such pursuits to be beneath them.

With that, I wanted a valid reason why a warlord would choose to multiclass into a wizard, and, as I'm sure most of you are beginning to recognize in me, optimization is never a good reason to choose a character path.

So, combining the two, I got Lord Imogen / Bendon: a noble trained to be a warlord, but doesn't want to be a warlord. He wants to be a wizard. However, because he's a noble, he must do his job, and he must do it well.
WaldoDi

Rex Character: Seems like a solid background. I like his internal conflict of not wanting others to rely on him, yet he want to be king (where a whole country will rely on him).

In his memories section, what does "Rexosaur remember rolling very badly and being utterly ineffective" mean? I'm not familiar with the term "rolling" outside of a dice roll.

The Stray

pos26

Flick: That's a fun background! That'd be the perfect kid for Bharazhd to mentor. :D I'm sure he'd nearly kill himself! I like Flick, though. He'd be good for a full campaign surrounding his town.

I'm glad you like Flick! I personally enjoyed your warrior who wants to be a wizard character. He's almost like a superhero with an alter ego lol. To be honest, I think your character fits in perfectly with the campaign style of the other guy's character that is searching for pirate treasure to bring his sister back to life. (see post not far above)

If someone were starting a campaign those two would be excellent NPCs or stock PCs for your players to play with.

Hey Stray! You hear that? Put Flick in your campaign with Bharazhd. Flick's a fun really nice guy who you can have a villian kill off to engross the PCs

(I know its hard to kill your own creations sometimes so that's why I threw the suggestion to kill mine in there!)

I love this thread! It's very creative.
You know, I'm going to go back to my character posts and add a line or two about what made me think of this character. I think people will enjoy the background of my thought process for character creation.

Yes/No? Is that something anyone is interested in when they read a character design?
Back inaction. Eheh. My first post is Here.

Dieter Itchenholdt Aka "DITCH", Male 1/2 Orc Fighter (tempest), Unaligned
Step 1. Background:
"I'm just a well-traveled man of mystery and In-tree-gu."
Show
1.Born in an Orcish tribe neighboring several human regions.
2. Ditch's origins lie in a brief insurrection by gnolls, which led to the newly established Baron Von Itchenholdt mounting a counteroffensive. While living in the region, the Baron had a scandalous affair with an orc.
3. Ditch's mother told him stories of his valiant father, throughout his youth.
4. Finding himself unsuited to orcish barbarism, Ditch left to become a warrior of reknown on the open road.
5. He has at least one rival barony with a price on his head, due to the unrelated matter of a missing magical artifact.

Step 2. Goals:
"I am Ditch, all your problems are here!"*
Show
short Term-Protect the innocent, Drive back the darkness, and prove himself the most badass man-at-arms in the general vicinity.
Medium Term- Swear fealty to the House Itchenholdt, and make their dominions the envy of all the Court.
Long Term- Have himself recognized by the baron, as his Heir, and joyfully accept whatever status this brings him.
*punchline goes: "For me to help solve!" Orc humor at its finest, folks.

Step 3. Secrets:
"In case you can't tell, I was born of a powerful dye-nasty..."

Show
1.Known. Ditch worships the dead god Stratis, of Chainmail fame. This produces some interesting reactions, from the veterans who fought the campaign, to the clergy of Heironious and Hextor, whose interests are best served by keeping their dead brother as forgotten and irrelevant as possible.
2.Unknown Ditch's reunion with his human relatives will not be a pleasant one, of course. Even overlooking the implausibility of having orcish blood serve among the nobility, the implications of the now aging Baron's affair, and a threat to the inheritance of the other heirs would be met with hostility. What's more, as the barony grows poor from its own decadence, scheming ministers have been shifting attention to the orcish tribes...

Step 4. Relationships:
"Fondue forks for everybody!"**
Show
T'hokka, F Orc, Unaligned: Ditch's long suffering mother. Operating as a surrogate parent to many Orcish whelps, she stresses the need to find personal glory, not merely as the tool to another's ambition. She is a skilled fortune teller and herbalist.
Sister Gwendonia, F Human , Good: While initially suspicious of the strange 'chivalrous' half-orc, Gwen has of late come to see the good in Ditch's heart. As a war orphan herself, she knows the limits of Pelor's mercy, and has gradually developed somewhat of a crush on Ditch, which he is totally ignorant of.
Sergeant Romotha, M Half-elf, Evil. The immediate surrogate of the the dastardly Baron Patrousst, Romotha has the run of the entire valley. The only crack in the veneer is when some greenskin vagrant killed a dozen enforcers who were in pursuit of a robber. While various kill orders have proven ineffective, he is facing the possibility that he may have to deal with the matter himself.

Step 5: Personality
"You worry too much, little squishy man..."
Show
Ditch behaves in the manner that he believes a noble warrior should. Of course, his lack of smarts and cultural upbringing distort the effect somewhat, and such subtleties as restrictions over wearing a cravat over chainmail, or hacking foes apart with a waraxe are lost on him. He still takes to affairs with a happy-go-lucky candor, as long as he's convinced that there's no morals being compromised. Though not very bright, he IS charming, as some confused townsfolk have noted.
5.5 Mannerisms
"Can someone read me the wine list?"
Unique. Ditch spends his money freely, often donating to the poor, or punctuating his appearance with Cravats, Velvet Codpieces, exotic piercings and perfumes, or expensive haircuts. He assumes a sort of protective bond towards children or small humanoids. This is in sharp contrast to his attitude in battle, where he becomes very much the howling lunatic. All in pursuit of a righteous cause, of course.

**"Fondue forks for everybody." is actually a TMBG quote, but it seemed to fit, since one of the great mysteries of Ditch is his incredible, though limited, talent as a gourmet chef. Fondue, of course, made the short list. No one seems to know how an ex-mercenary like Ditch got these skills, and he himself claims not to remember. :P

Dolph Lundgren's voice is well suited to Ditch, with a slight allowance for tusks. Lundgren lost his tusks in junior high, as we all know.
You know, I'm going to go back to my character posts and add a line or two about what made me think of this character. I think people will enjoy the background of my thought process for character creation.

Yes/No? Is that something anyone is interested in when they read a character design?

It will give an additional point of reference when envisioning your character.

But it may also add further restrictions to their ability to freely imagine the character you are describing
It will give an additional point of reference when envisioning your character.

But it may also add further restrictions to their ability to freely imagine the character you are describing

Well, fortunately, I put all my character designs in hide blocks, so if they don't want to read it, they don't have to! Taa daa! :D

Anywho, I think it's interesting to see why a person thought of a characer to begin with. (Here's hoping Gabryl and Stray will catch on :P ) It doesn't change the flavor of a character, because usually the idea you have for a character doesn't flesh exactly right once you've made the character, and it does give good insight to what was intended.

I've posted three characters on this thread, one on page 3, and two on this page. I've gone back and edited in a commentary to how I designed the character on two of them, and I'm going to start on the last in just a bit here.

Is the way I'm going about it "restrictions to their ability to freely imagine," as you suspect, or do you think it's good? Or something else entirely? Let me know what you think.
DIETER ITCHENHOLDT, Aka "DITCH", Male 1/2 Orc Fighter, Unaligned

Hey, cool concept! I like character concepts that take a race and put him/her out of the usual circumstances and into a newer one where they have to deal with social misunderstandings.

Problems I foresee Ditch facing:

If his father has a scandolous affair with his mother, then more than likely, his father won't accept him as a legitimate son, no matter how good hearted he is. This may be especially true if rank and status matter (bastards were always just that: bastards. They were never accepted back into the family), and/or if there's racial tension and preconceptions against Orcs and 1/2 Orcs.

If the general communty and human society has a bad attitude towards Orcs, Ditch won't get a welcome acceptance. He'll have to prove himself to the town, city, etc.. And there will still always be folk who just plain won't trust him.

"I don't care if he did save that little girl. He's a half-orc. He was probably just doing it to eat her, and he's secretly mad he couldn't." :D

All in all, though, it's a nifty concept! I like it.
Hee, you know who else was a bastard? James Matthew Hook.
Well, fortunately, I put all my character designs in hide blocks, so if they don't want to read it, they don't have to! Taa daa! :D

Anywho, I think it's interesting to see why a person thought of a characer to begin with. (Here's hoping Gabryl and Stray will catch on :P ) It doesn't change the flavor of a character, because usually the idea you have for a character doesn't flesh exactly right once you've made the character, and it does give good insight to what was intended.

I've posted three characters on this thread, one on page 3, and two on this page. I've gone back and edited in a commentary to how I designed the character on two of them, and I'm going to start on the last in just a bit here.

Is the way I'm going about it "restrictions to their ability to freely imagine," as you suspect, or do you think it's good? Or something else entirely? Let me know what you think.

I think it's something else entirely to be honest! It has no bearing on the character you described but is very interesting nonetheless.

My one thought though is that you need to make the infernal warlock chick with the mask!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wth was your dm's problem!!!!! That's the coolest character concept I've ever heard of and he just pooped on it!!!!!!!!!!! Bring her back.....and have her kill the duchess, the original is that sweet!
Thanks for reading, mgs.

I build the characters more or less mechanically sound, but keep the situations so dire that it's not even close to good enough. The idea is that, if the party works together, each individual member will have a fighting chance at their goals.

Things may wind up differently in the hands of another DM, but here's my ideas of the specifics:

Baron Itchenholdt is quickly becoming a cynical old man, but really was righteous in his youth. He hates the sycophantic types his station attracts, and suspects that good people will pay the price. He also knows his children have not inherited his own firmness. Somewhere, far, far under that, is a memory of when he was in love. He does not even know Ditch exists.

If he did, he might name Ditch as his heir- if he thought it would foil some of the plans of his subordinates. To prevent them working against this, he'd affect disdain for the half-orc, using the absurdity of the situation to keep his motives hidden.

It's probably true that the townsfolk would never accept an orc's rulership.
Certainly the clergy of Stratis' brother deities would egg them on into open revolt. It has all the makings of a very morally uncertain situation, especially for the type of guy that has such a polarized view of the world.
I think it's something else entirely to be honest! It has no bearing on the character you described but is very interesting nonetheless.

My one thought though is that you need to make the infernal warlock chick with the mask!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wth was your dm's problem!!!!! That's the coolest character concept I've ever heard of and he just pooped on it!!!!!!!!!!! Bring her back.....and have her kill the duchess, the original is that sweet!

Squee! Thanks!

Per my DM, it's the flavor of that particular campaign. All the characters are supposed to work in a special unit of some sort working directly for the crown. In this kingdom, those who deal with devils and demons are hunted down like mad. So to play a infernal warlock working for the king is something my DM won't allow (yet).

I'll design her for a game I can play her in. Or maybe when I'm bored later today (or tomorrow), I'll write her up and post her on this thread. To be honest, I don't remember what original class I had in mind for her, I only chose infernal warlock when 4E came out.
Hey Stray! You hear that? Put Flick in your campaign with Bharazhd. Flick's a fun really nice guy who you can have a villian kill off to engross the PCs

(I know its hard to kill your own creations sometimes so that's why I threw the suggestion to kill mine in there!)

It's possible. Since my gaming group is mostly female, though, a guy with screwed up mommy/lover issues might get him slapped. We'll see.

mgshamster, I think I will go back over my NPCs and give them design notes.
56816218 wrote:
Thanks for reading, mgs.

I build the characters more or less mechanically sound, but keep the situations so dire that it's not even close to good enough. The idea is that, if the party works together, each individual member will have a fighting chance at their goals.

Things may wind up differently in the hands of another DM, but here's my ideas of the specifics:

Baron Itchenholdt is quickly becoming a cynical old man, but really was a righteous man in his youth. He hates the sycophantic types his station attracts, and suspects that good people will pay the price. He also knows his children have not inherited his own firmness. Somewhere, far, far under that, is a memory of when he was in love. He does not even know ditch exists.

If he did, he might name Ditch as his heir if thought it would foil some of the plans of his subordinates. To prevent them working against this, he'd affect disdain for the half-orc, using the absurdity of the situation to keep his motives hidden.

It's probably true that the townsfolk would never accept an orc's rulership.
Certainly the clergy of Stratis' brother deities would egg them on into open revolt. It has all the makings of a very morally uncertain situation, especially for the type of guy that has such a polarized view of the world.

Plot twist? Do I hear plot twist? Oh, yes. I think I do.

:D

That sounds like the kind of thing my (2E) DM would do to us players, except, she wouldn't let us know what was going on.

Do I like? Yes I do.