Ask a quick question, get a quick answer 2

5078 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is from Dragon 368, for me to get the +3 Prof for Whip I just need weapon prof feat that needs no requirements, but to get the +3 Prof AND the target -2 AR vs 1 target, I need 13 in Dex to get "whip prof". Is that right so far?

2nd question. For the record, I'm a Warden.
Assuming I get the total Whip Prof in Dragon 368 (giving target -2 AR vs 1 target), could I have that target marked (-2 AR vs anyone, but me), AND using the whip give him -2 to my rogue ally, meaning that enemy now has -4 vs ally Rogue (-2 from mark, -2 from whip)? What if a bard or someone uses a move that gives him -2 AR overall? Does that mean that the enemy will get -2 to me, -4 to other allies, -6 to ally Rogue?

If so, then that's super awesome.
I didn't see any question/answer numbers used as the first post requests, so here goes my question anyway.

I am confused as to how the Heal skill's First Aid use works in regards to:

1) Use Second Wind - Do you need to touch him/her? When they say character, does it mean an ally or enemy?

2) Grant a saving throw - Can the saving throw granted be for any effect? Poison, disease, magic, etc.

If you get a saving throw immediately, is it in addition to the one you get at the end of your turn for the same effect (if you hadn't saved immediately)?
If it wasn't for Shadowfax, Gandalf never would have made it. Shadowfax, the real hero of LotR.
This is from Dragon 368, for me to get the +3 Prof for Whip I just need weapon prof feat that needs no requirements, but to get the +3 Prof AND the target -2 AR vs 1 target, I need 13 in Dex to get "whip prof". Is that right so far?

Yes, I believe that is correct. You can take just Weapon Proficiency: Whip to gain the proficiency bonus to attack with no prerequisites, or if you meet the prerequisites you can take Whip Training which gives you proficiency, the neat attack penalty thingy, and access to the other whip power feats, but counts as a class-specific multiclass feat.

2nd question. For the record, I'm a Warden.
Assuming I get the total Whip Prof in Dragon 368 (giving target -2 AR vs 1 target), could I have that target marked (-2 AR vs anyone, but me), AND using the whip give him -2 to my rogue ally, meaning that enemy now has -4 vs ally Rogue (-2 from mark, -2 from whip)? What if a bard or someone uses a move that gives him -2 AR overall? Does that mean that the enemy will get -2 to me, -4 to other allies, -6 to ally Rogue?

If so, then that's super awesome.

I believe this is also correct. Penalties stack. It is super awesome if you're built for it.
Here is my question.... I have been looking thru the PHB 1and 2 but could not find any info on milestones but that you get them if you have 2 or more encounters with out a extended rest. What is the prurpose of the milestones and how else can you earn them and can you loose them?

Thanks,
Thanks Mtman75
Here is my question.... I have been looking thru the PHB 1and 2 but could not find any info on milestones but that you get them if you have 2 or more encounters with out a extended rest. What is the prurpose of the milestones and how else can you earn them and can you loose them?

you have 1 action point when you take an extended rest. You gain an action point with each milestone. You also gain the use of an item daily power each milestone. This means that if you're wearing 3 magic items with magic power, you can use one of them without a milestone, then to use another, you must have reached a milestone. Remember that no matter how many milestones you reach, you can only use each magic item daily power once per day.
I am confused as to how the Heal skill's First Aid use works in regards to:

1) Use Second Wind - Do you need to touch him/her? When they say character, does it mean an ally or enemy?

It doesn't say you need to touch them, but it does say you need to be adjacent.

And it says "character", not "ally", so you *could* use it on enemies, but that would be stupid, since the skill doesn't force them to use Second Wind, it gives them the option of using it. If they want healing, you've given them healing for free. If they don't want healing, they don't use it and you've wasted a round.

2) Grant a saving throw - Can the saving throw granted be for any effect? Poison, disease, magic, etc.

You can make a save to end any effect a save can end. You know if an effect can be ended by a save because it says "save ends" after it in the description.

You CAN'T make a save to end an effect that is not "save ends".

If you get a saving throw immediately, is it in addition to the one you get at the end of your turn for the same effect (if you hadn't saved immediately)?

Yes. At the end of your turn, you make a Save against all effects that a Save can end. Since the Heal skill doesn't say it changes that, it doesn't change it. You could make a hundred "bonus" saves in a round, and you'd still get the ones at the end of your turn.

(It's also worth noting that the errata on saves includes that if an effect gets worse on a failed save (like petrification, or the Sleep spell), it ONLY gets worse when you fail the save at the end of your turn. "Bonus" saves never make an effect worse, no matter how many of them you fail.)
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.

PHB1, page 259, defines what a Milestone is. Other sections define what happens when you reach one - for example, Action Points, on the same page, says "gain an Action Point when you reach a Milestone". The Raise Dead ritual says you have a penalty until you reach three Milestones. Most magic Rings have two effects - one initial one, and one if you've reached a Milestone today.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
LordViscera's *signature* has several questions - all of which can be addressed by quick answers!

LV:I want to make an item that no one has seen before
DM: You can't the rules don't allow it
LV: I want to make items for profit
DM: The rules aren't set up that way
LV: I want to be a ruler of a city
DM: You can't because your day to day activities will stop you from adventuring
LV: Isn't this supposed to be fantasy?
DM: 4E simplified it and made it more balanced
LV: I want to go back to 2E

I think your DM is doing it wrong.

"LV:I want to make an item that no one has seen before"

DM: Of course! While you're retired to spend years researching how to do magic in a new way nobody has ever done before, the rest of the party will go adventuring without you.

"LV: I want to make items for profit"

DM: Of course! While you're retired to spend years collecting arcane reagents, building up supply lines, and running a shop so you have the resources necessary to do this, the rest of the party will go adventuring without you.

"LV: I want to be a ruler of a city"

DM: Of course! While you're retired to run your city, the rest of the party will go adventuring without you.

"LV: Isn't this supposed to be fantasy?"

DM: Absolutely - but, more particularly, it's a game of being *heroic fantasy adventurers*. It doesn't give you rules for being a shopkeeper or a barmaid or even a king, because those things are not *heroic fantasy adventurers*. If you want your character to stop adventuring, great, you can totally do that - but since the game is about the adventuring party, that means your character is out.

It's possible to do all of those things you've asked about, in 4th ed D&D.
It's not possible to do them and still be an adventurer.
Not being an adventurer means not being a PC.
Not being a PC means the game doesn't need rules to cover it, and D&D4 doesn't make the rank beginner game designer's mistake (which all previous D&D versions *did*) of trying to provide rules for everything.
Eladrin Staff Wizard, WotST.

Do I get a +1 bonus to AC when I wield a longsword as a staff implement?

Can I use my Staff of Defense power with my longsword?

I want to know because I've been thinking about multiclassing swordmage to get a +3 to AC for an encounter once per day, and as far as I can tell, these bonuses all stack.
Yes, you can have your longsword in your main hand and your staff in your off-hand. You just won't be able to use your staff for anything other than an implement (it takes 2 hands to wield it as a weapon). This is what our wizard does (even though she never actually uses her longsword, she has it just in case).
Hi all, Can someone explain the difference to me between a "rod" and "staff"? What difference does it make in taking one vs. the other?
Eladrin Staff Wizard, WotST.

Do I get a +1 bonus to AC when I wield a longsword as a staff implement?

Can I use my Staff of Defense power with my longsword?

I want to know because I've been thinking about multiclassing swordmage to get a +3 to AC for an encounter once per day, and as far as I can tell, these bonuses all stack.

The applicable text:
Corellon’s Implement (11th level): Choose an
arcane implement that you specialize in, whether the
wand, staff, or orb. You can use a longsword as if it
were that type of arcane implement when casting your
spells.

So, yes. Your Longsword *is* a staff. "When casting your spells" is pretty clearly intended to be a flavourful way of saying "when you want an Implement" - so your longsword would now grant you +1 AC (because it is a staff, really) and the ability to use the Staff Of Defense interrupt (because, again, it's a staff, really.)

But yes. Your sword is a Staff due to WotST, so gives you the Staff Implement bonuses. Your sword is still a sword, so it gives you the Swordmage bonuses.
Hi all, Can someone explain the difference to me between a "rod" and "staff"? What difference does it make in taking one vs. the other?

A rod is short - less tham 1m long at most. A staff is long - 2m or so - and wielded as a weapon in two hands.

As for "taking one vs the other", what's the context? Wizards can't use Rods and get some bonuses for using Staves. Warlocks can't use Staves, but there are a lot of enchanted Rods that favour them. What do you really want to know?
The PHB description of Warlock's Curse does not specify the bonus dmg as connected only to Warlock powers. It says "any damage." The Char Builder only has it on Warlock Power cards.
The PHB description of Warlock's Curse does not specify the bonus dmg as connected only to Warlock powers. It says "any damage." The Char Builder only has it on Warlock Power cards.

The character builder is wrong. Warlock's Curse applies to all attacks you make, regardless of their origin.
blast it all, my last question / the answer I got are both wrong. I was asking about the whip multiclass with the "hit enemy and he gets -2 AR vs target of my choice." I saw that it's Dex 13 as prerequisite, it's also requiring any martial class. I'm a warden, blast it all, I really wanted that weapon (i may still get it and get normal proficiency, just not put 13 into Dex (was planning on 10 or so).
Got another question. I just want to make sure I'm correct with all of this...

Heavy shield gives +2 to AC & to Reflex (Heavy Shield: When you use a heavy shield you gain a greater bonus to your AC and Reflex defense, but you can't use your shield hand for any other task).

Warforged: Shield: With a heavy shield attached to you, your shield hand can hold items as if the shield were light.
Light Shield: You need to use your shield hand to wield a light shield properly. You can still use that hand to hold another item, to climb, or the like. However, you can't use your shield hand to make attacks.

Parrying Dagger is a defensive weapon
Defensive: A defensive weapon grants you a +1 bonus to AC while you wield the defensive weapon in one hand and wield another melee weapon in your other hand.....To gain this benefit, you need not attack with the defensive weapon, but you must be proficient with it.

I'm a Warforged Warden. I want to use an attached heavy shield, hold a parrying dagger in my off-hand and a whip in the main hand.

Questions:
1. Can I hold a parrying dagger in my shield hand, not attack with it, but just have it in that hand to get 1 more AC? Would "wielding it" negate the shield bonus?

2. If I can't wield the parrying dagger, I'll use the shield. Does the heavy shield still give me +2 AC and +2 Reflex even though it's considered "a light shield"?

Thank you.
How many powers of each type (i.e., at-will, encounter, etc.) does a first-level human cleric start with?

- Keith
Got another question. I just want to make sure I'm correct with all of this...

Heavy shield gives +2 to AC & to Reflex (Heavy Shield: When you use a heavy shield you gain a greater bonus to your AC and Reflex defense, but you can't use your shield hand for any other task).

Warforged: Shield: With a heavy shield attached to you, your shield hand can hold items as if the shield were light.
Light Shield: You need to use your shield hand to wield a light shield properly. You can still use that hand to hold another item, to climb, or the like. However, you can't use your shield hand to make attacks.

Parrying Dagger is a defensive weapon
Defensive: A defensive weapon grants you a +1 bonus to AC while you wield the defensive weapon in one hand and wield another melee weapon in your other hand.....To gain this benefit, you need not attack with the defensive weapon, but you must be proficient with it.

I'm a Warforged Warden. I want to use an attached heavy shield, hold a parrying dagger in my off-hand and a whip in the main hand.

Questions:
1. Can I hold a parrying dagger in my shield hand, not attack with it, but just have it in that hand to get 1 more AC? Would "wielding it" negate the shield bonus?

2. If I can't wield the parrying dagger, I'll use the shield. Does the heavy shield still give me +2 AC and +2 Reflex even though it's considered "a light shield"?

Thank you.

Hi themaster408,

In D&D, there is a difference between holding and weilding a weapon. Holding means just what it says, using one or two hands to hold something. Weilding means holding it and being able to attack with it.

Example: You can hold a two-handed sword in one hand, but you are not weilding it because you can't attack with a two-hander using just one hand.

The light sield allows you to hold something, even a parrying dagger, with your shield hand, but you are not weilding it. Thus, you would not get the AC bonus from a parrying dagger, because weilding it requires you to be able to attack with it, even if you don't actually attack with it.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
How many powers of each type (i.e., at-will, encounter, etc.) does a first-level human cleric start with?

- Keith

Hi Keith,

1st level human (all classes):
  • 3 at-will powers (2, +1 for being human);
  • 1 encounter;
  • 1 daily.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
Hi Keith,

1st level human (all classes):
  • 3 at-will powers (2, +1 for being human);
  • 1 encounter;
  • 1 daily.

Thanks, Sebby! I must have missed it in the book. (I assume it's stated explicitly somewhere in the PHB.)

So, in the Cleric section, they point out that Channel Divinity is a class feature, and give two examples of that feature: turn undead and something else I can't recall just now. Do those powers count against the one encounter power available to the first-level cleric, or are they in addition to the one power?

- Keith
Question on the MM example page 274, Zombie Rotter (minion) its attack is slam, +6 vs Ac; 5 damage

does it literally do 5 damage, always? every time?

Hi BlackHalfDragon,

Yes it does. This guy is a minion, a type of enemy designed to be simple to use, because they are meant to be used in large numbers (4 of them equals 1 normal enemy of the same level).
  • They don't have a lot of different powers;
  • They have 1 HP (but don't take damage on misses) so you never have to track their HPs;
  • They do fixed damage so you have less dice to roll;

As an aside, if you are the DM, using minions in a meaningful way is not as straightforward as it seems. Some DMs don't like using them because they tend to die before doing anything. Tips:
  • Be extremely agressive with them, because they die very fast. Move+Charge the closest PC;
  • Don't clump all your minions together, spread them out, because they are too easy to wipe out with a single area attack;
  • If your minions start too far from the PCs to hit them in the first round, use the terrain for cover and concealment while getting closer;
  • Combine them with a leader-type enemy that grants extra actions;
  • And if you don't mind the added work (because it kind of defeats the purpose of 1-HP enemies), use a leader that can grant temporary HPs.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
Thanks, Sebby! I must have missed it in the book. (I assume it's stated explicitly somewhere in the PHB.)

So, in the Cleric section, they point out that Channel Divinity is a class feature, and give two examples of that feature: turn undead and something else I can't recall just now. Do those powers count against the one encounter power available to the first-level cleric, or are they in addition to the one power?

- Keith

Ah, yes. Some races and classes grant additional powers as racial or class features. These do not count towards the limits I gave you, but are in addition. The cleric's Channel Divinity powers are extra powers.

Other examples:
  • The eladrin's Fey Step racial power;
  • The paladin's Lay on Hands class power, and his Channel Divinity powers;
  • The swordmage's Aegis of Assault (or Ensnarement or Shielding) power;
  • The power chosen through the half-elf's Dilettante racial feature;

In addition, some feats (like all Channel Divinity feats) may grant extra powers too.

Each PC has powers as specified in the table in the PHB, p.29, far right column. Those are his attack powers and his utility powers. Race, class and feats may grant powers in addition to those. They will be identified as racial powers, class features and feat powers, respectively.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"

- Keith

All characters at level 1 have 2 at-wills, 1 encounter, and 1 daily power from their class. A human receives a third at-will power from their class. Class features that grant powers are in addition to this. So if you count the cleric class featues "Channel Divinity - Divine Fortune", "Channel Divinity - Turn Undead", and "Healing Word", a Level 1 Human Cleric will have 3 at-wills, 4 encounters (3 of which are predetermined class features and 1 of which is chosen from the cleric's level 1 encounter power list), and 1 daily. If you choose any feats or other options outside of your class that grant powers, these will usually state whether these are in addition to or in replacement of one of your chosen class powers.

If you want it to get really confusing, try a wizard :P

EDIT: Ninja'd by sebby apparently making like 5 posts while I was typing this.

Hey.

'Happens to me all the time when I fail to notice there is one more page after the first unread post.
Sebby
"I'm a bonster. Rawr!"
All characters at level 1 have 2 at-wills, 1 encounter, and 1 daily power from their class. A human receives a third at-will power from their class.

A Human Druid gets 4 at-wills at 1st level. What I wanted to confirm is that the 3 the Druid gets from his class feature are not in addition to the 2 every character gets ?
If it wasn't for Shadowfax, Gandalf never would have made it. Shadowfax, the real hero of LotR.
Q2121: Application of which one first. (Heavy rules question)
If an avenger has the boots that while running confer insubstantial
and the bloodcut armor (ten resistance of any type with a healing surge)

if both are simultaniously activated, which one takes precedence first?
Assuming 20 fire damage means:

1. half damage from insubstantial then resistance is all twenty prevented
or
2. resistance, then half damage is 12 prevented.

Could you explain if / how this works?

- Keith

Check out page 29 in Player's Handbook, it'll help.
Q2121: Application of which one first. (Heavy rules question)
If an avenger has the boots that while running confer insubstantial
and the bloodcut armor (ten resistance of any type with a healing surge)

if both are simultaniously activated, which one takes precedence first?
Assuming 20 fire damage means:

1. half damage from insubstantial then resistance is all twenty prevented
or
2. resistance, then half damage is 12 prevented.

Could you explain if / how this works?

Resistance, then insubstantial. Already was asked on an Ask Wizards.

[<()>]Proud Brazilian. Typos are free bonuses. 

Q9999: So Zombies aren't immune to fear...? Seems kinda odd.
All characters at level 1 have 2 at-wills, 1 encounter, and 1 daily power from their class. A human receives a third at-will power from their class. Class features that grant powers are in addition to this. So if you count the cleric class featues "Channel Divinity - Divine Fortune", "Channel Divinity - Turn Undead", and "Healing Word", a Level 1 Human Cleric will have 3 at-wills, 4 encounters (3 of which are predetermined class features and 1 of which is chosen from the cleric's level 1 encounter power list), and 1 daily. If you choose any feats or other options outside of your class that grant powers, these will usually state whether these are in addition to or in replacement of one of your chosen class powers.

If you want it to get really confusing, try a wizard :P

Great clarification. Thanks, A2D!

- Keith
How much cash / items does a 1st level character and a 2nd level character get?

1st level character has no equipment, but starts with 100 gp to buy equipment. It's first page of the "adventuring" section I think.

After 1st level a new character starts with...
standard adventure's kit, a magic item of level+1, a magic item of their level, and a magic item level -1. They have GP = magic item level -1

so if you're starting at level 5, you'll have a level 4, 5, and 6 magic item and have 840 GP.
I have a quick question, not regarding mechanics but translations of some terms into Spanish. I have the books in English, so I have no idea how to translate some terms.

Dragonborn
Fey
Tiefling
Warlord (this, I'm not sure)
Shifter
Shadowfell

I know there are a few others, but I can't remember them right now.

Can anyone help me out with the translation of these terms?
Warning: My spanish is *terrible*, and I'm using an online translator to help me. But I'll try anyway.

Dragonborn: "niño del dragón" - literally, children of the dragon.

Fey: Probably "Vidente" or "hada". But I don't like either of those, and they were both suggested by Babelfish.

Tiefling: Well, it's not an English word, or made-up composite English word, to begin with. I'd just use "Tiefling" and change the pronunciation if you have to. If you want a meaningful Spanish name, try "mitad-diablo" - "Half-devil"

Warlord: The obvious is "jefe militar", and that's not exactly great - but not bad!

Shifter: "hombre lobo"

Shadowfell: "sombre malvada", or "mala sombra"
Great clarification. Thanks, A2D!

- Keith

Also, just a further clarification, since another question came up: In the case of the druid, I do believe that's an exception to the class feature "rule" I stated. I believe a druid gets three at-wills total, not three extra. A human druid, of course, would get a fourth.
Warning: My spanish is *terrible*, and I'm using an online translator to help me. But I'll try anyway.

Dragonborn: "niño del dragón" - literally, children of the dragon.

Fey: Probably "Vidente" or "hada". But I don't like either of those, and they were both suggested by Babelfish.

Tiefling: Well, it's not an English word, or made-up composite English word, to begin with. I'd just use "Tiefling" and change the pronunciation if you have to. If you want a meaningful Spanish name, try "mitad-diablo" - "Half-devil"

Warlord: The obvious is "jefe militar", and that's not exactly great - but not bad!

Shifter: "hombre lobo"

Shadowfell: "sombre malvada", or "mala sombra"

I appreciate your help, but, well, that's a very literal translation. I wanted the WotC official translation (if any). Still, thanks.
When using the one sword encounter power,do you gain the proficiency bonus from the longsword for the attack?and just for the hell of it,would you gain the proficiency bonus for wizard attack powers also?
When using the one sword encounter power

What are you referring to here?

do you gain the proficiency bonus from the longsword for the attack?and just for the hell of it,would you gain the proficiency bonus for wizard attack powers also?

You only gain weapon proficiency bonuses for powers that have the "Weapon" keyword.
It's the encounter power you get when you paragon into wizard of the spiral tower,it's in the PH.ah so it has to have the weapon key word to be able to use the proficiency bonus,ty!
Ok so the one sword paragon encounter power uses weapon as a key word so you would get the proficiency bonus when using it.
Sign In to post comments