Half-elf Dilettante Resource.

185 posts / 0 new
Last post
Brash Strike should at least be [color=blue]Blue[/color],it statcks con onto damage,something half-elfs get a bump to,toss in the +2 to hit and it's all gravy. Who cares if you grant CA? Unless you're not a defender it's not even an issue...and even then. And for Battleragers it's just plain [color=deepskyblue]fun[/color].
Updated, I missed some of the fighter wills for MP.
Righteous Brand is a definite sky blue. And by definite I mean; it is probably the single best reason for going half elf in the first place

Storm pillar is quite "meh" in my experience. I would rate it black, definitely not sky blue.

Storm pillar is kinda situational it looks like, but drop it in a doorway against high ac monsters? Mega win for a at-will. Also it should get blue because it doesn't require an attack roll, at least making it unique.
Storm pillar is kinda situational it looks like, but drop it in a doorway against high ac monsters? Mega win for a at-will. Also it should get blue because it doesn't require an attack roll, at least making it unique.

It is possible to construct scenarios where storm pillar is good. But is most real applications it does nothing. As someone previously mentioned Cloud of Daggers also does damage without a to hit roll.

Worth mentioning: When you place a storm pillar you provide the monsters with the following options:
1) Walk through the area taking damage
2) Walk around it wasting movement
3) Stand back and use ranged attack until it goes away.
Since it is the monsters choice they will take the option least harmful to them. Thus the effect is wastly inferior to providing any of the afforementioned effects without choice to the monster.

The only really useful application I see is blocking 1 square corridors. And I am not using one of my at-wills (even as human wizard) on that. And I am most certyainly not changing my race to half-elf specifically to get this ability

It is possible to construct scenarios where storm pillar is good. But is most real applications it does nothing. As someone previously mentioned Cloud of Daggers also does damage without a to hit roll.

Storm Pillar placed directly above the targets head. Either they don't move, or they take the 1d6+Int damage.

To note, one scenario where Storm Pillar does stand out with when working with a Shaman or the Shaman PMCs into Wizard for it. The Spirit Companion blocks the "retreat" position while the Storm Pillar blocks the "advancing" one. It puts the target trapped between the two wondering what to do. Doesn't help against creatures with ranged capabilities except it blocks their movement, but melee only leads them to pain.

Combine with Spirit Summons and block off completely a 3-wide corridor with 2 Spirits and a Storm Pillar, or make a 7-wide corridor a danger to attempt to get past.
Storm Pillar works pretty well with forced movement too, doing a lot more damage than if the same creature were pushed into a Cloud of Daggers.
Storm of Pillars does not trigger from forced movement. The creature must choose to use a "move" action. Forced movement effects normally work on effects that say "enters" "leaves" a square. Sorry - lvl 1 At-Will is not that bad a$s. Otherwise Storm of Pillars / Thunderwave combos would be flying around like crazy...
On the other hand - and here's where it starts making sense for a dilettante power - having a couple of storm pillars to stack next to each other starts to be quite nice. The wizard drops one, the half-elf (warlock, say) drops one, and suddenly...

xxxxxx
xox*ox
xxxxxx

the poor guy sitting on the star takes damage if he moves. Then your bow-ranger friend starts filling him with arrows. This is the simplest of uses, and it's not all that broken, but I think it illustrates the idea. It's a controller/field power, and it gets more interesting as you have more controller/field powers to play with with it. I don't think it's sky blue, but it's definitely at least black, and I'd say that dark blue is at least arguable.
Storm of Pillars does not trigger from forced movement. The creature must choose to use a "move" action. Forced movement effects normally work on effects that say "enters" "leaves" a square. Sorry - lvl 1 At-Will is not that bad a$s. Otherwise Storm of Pillars / Thunderwave combos would be flying around like crazy...

The *only* current rationale for this is a CS ruling. Sorry, but CS rulings aren't particularly convincing - when the FAQ that the CS rep suggested might be coming actually appears, I'll be happy to concede.

CS ruling aside, here's why RAW allows forced movement to trigger Storm Pillar.

1) Storm pillar says that when an enemy moves into a square adjacent to the pillar, they take damage.
2) When you force an enemy to move, they move. There is no distinction in the rules between moving into a square and being forced to move into a square (the "not a move" rule only actually states that forced movement doesn't count against your speed). As there's no distinction in the rules, you need to go with common sense and basic semantics. If I move a vase from the mantlepiece to the table, does the vase move? Yes. Has the vase moved? Yes.
3) RAW, Storm pillar is probably OP. It's a prime candidate for Errata or house rulings. If you're going to house rule it though, it's probably better to just limit the damage to once per target per turn. That way people are rewarded for creative uses of forced movement, but it doesn't really run any risk of breaking the game.
Ya, I would have to say, forced movement should not proc the pillar's damage. You can move him back into the middle though and do effectively the same thing.
Ya, I would have to say, forced movement should not proc the pillar's damage. You can move him back into the middle though and do effectively the same thing.

By "should", do you just mean that that's how you'd rule it in your games? Fair enough, and maybe there will be a FAQ to support this ruling in the near future, but until then, I can't see how this follows RAW. What part of the rulebook actually states that when you are moved, you do not move?
edit: hmm, I fail at reading.
Twin strike and dual strike should also be sky blue, as weapon attacks that allow you to attack twice with an at-will. Which one you pick really barely matters unless you happen to pack a bow.

I strongly disagree about Dual Strike being Sky Blue. Why would you ever take it as a Dilettante power when you could take Twin Strike instead? TS can be used for both melee _and_ ranged attacks, and can be used to attack two different targets if desired.

There's only two circumstances I could think of:
1. Your base class is Ranger, so you can't take Twin Strike with Dilettante. In this case you'd take TS as one of your Ranger at-wills, wouldn't you? I could possibly see a character that takes two of the other Ranger at-wills for some reason, and takes DS instead of TS, but it isn't really worth it.

2. You want to use some feat or PP feature that only works with Fighter powers, or one of the fighting style feats that modifies Dual Strike.

Overall, I think Dual Strike should merely be a Blue, with a note pointing out that Twin Strike does the same thing much better for most purposes.
I strongly disagree about Dual Strike being Sky Blue. Why would you ever take it as a Dilettante power when you could take Twin Strike instead? TS can be used for both melee _and_ ranged attacks, and can be used to attack two different targets if desired.

There's only two circumstances I could think of:
1. Your base class is Ranger, so you can't take Twin Strike with Dilettante. In this case you'd take TS as one of your Ranger at-wills, wouldn't you? I could possibly see a character that takes two of the other Ranger at-wills for some reason, and takes DS instead of TS, but it isn't really worth it.

2. You want to use some feat or PP feature that only works with Fighter powers, or one of the fighting style feats that modifies Dual Strike.

Overall, I think Dual Strike should merely be a Blue, with a note pointing out that Twin Strike does the same thing much better for most purposes.

The presence of Twin Strike doesn't make Dual Strike worse. It's still exactly the same. Thus, it should remain sky blue, but it's worthwhile to add a note that Twin Strike is strictly better and that Dual Strike should never be taken as a dilettante power because of the reasons above EDIT: except for the reason listed below, lol.

Good catch though!

And that feat exists...Reckless Attacker in Martial Power.
Yeah. Sadly, Reckless attacker is so good that a ranger actually gains DPR by being a half-elf and taking Versatile Master Dual Strike and Reckless Attacker.

*At least at the top end of epic. Probably all the way through epic. Probably not anywhere in paragon.

(See my DPR King builds for supporting math.)
Soon I'm going to add an explination post, when I do, I'll demark dual strike down to purple, and make it skyblue with reckless attacker.
I would not go that far. If you're not packing a bow (which many str-based characters won't bother to) it's really just as good as double attack, no? I'd say to call them both sky blue, with asterisk notes of "this one is better if this, that one is better if that." It seems somehow wrong to mark something as purple when it's so clearly high on the power chain. Also, for people multiclassing into fighter, there are stances that boost the [W] of fighter attacks. Again, it's a special case, but, really, so is packing a bow.
I believe Vicious Mockery is in fact, implement-based.
I strongly disagree about Dual Strike being Sky Blue. Why would you ever take it as a Dilettante power when you could take Twin Strike instead?

By and large you're right.

The main advantage of Dual Strike is that it's a *fighter* power, and various things proc on fighter powers, such as when you crit with a fighter power, recover a power, that sort of thing.

But yeah, that's kind of niche. No better than blue, I'd say. People should skim sky blue entries for the best of show.
I would not go that far. If you're not packing a bow (which many str-based characters won't bother to) it's really just as good as double attack, no? I'd say to call them both sky blue, with asterisk notes of "this one is better if this, that one is better if that." It seems somehow wrong to mark something as purple when it's so clearly high on the power chain. Also, for people multiclassing into fighter, there are stances that boost the [W] of fighter attacks. Again, it's a special case, but, really, so is packing a bow.

Twin Strike can hit one or two targets, Dual Strike can only hit one.
dual strike dropped to darkblue, the ranged/melee thing for twin really wins it over imo.
Vicious Mockery was implement based, thanks.
Storm Pillar dropped to blue, it still is free attack.

Some discussion added.
Eldritch Strike should definitely be sky blue. It is, hands-down, one of the best dilettante choices out there. Almost any half-elf that doesn't use strength but finds themselves in melee will be highly tempted to take it. It essentially gives Melee Training for free, and something similar to heavy blade opportunity for free. Unlike heavy blade opportunity, it only allows you to use the one power for opportunity attacks, but it applies to ALL melee basic attacks (including granted attacks and charges).
Eldritch Strike should definitely be sky blue. It is, hands-down, one of the best dilettante choices out there. Almost any half-elf that doesn't use strength but finds themselves in melee will be highly tempted to take it. It essentially gives Melee Training for free, and something similar to heavy blade opportunity for free. Unlike heavy blade opportunity, it only allows you to use the one power for opportunity attacks, but it applies to ALL melee basic attacks (including granted attacks and charges).

I agree - IF it is a front or second line fighter. A ranged combatant would be better served with taking Eldritch Blast. And then later on Reaper's touch if they want to have an up close attack. This way they get a basic ranged and a basic melee at will.

Alternatively, Acid Orb and reaper's touch is also a good combo.
Am I the only one having a hard time differentiating the kinda good from kinda bad due to the coloring?
Am I the only one having a hard time differentiating the kinda good from kinda bad due to the coloring?

Yeah - I think the coloring is off. The actual colors should be:

DeepSkyBlue
Blue
Black
Purple
Red

And bolding helps a great deal as well.
Yeah - I think the coloring is off. The actual colors should be:

DeepSkyBlue
Blue
Black
Purple
Red

And bolding helps a great deal as well.

I thought the coloring was off too, but didn't care enough to fix it. Giving your scheme a shot.

What should be bolded? move names? Thats a ton of work :/
Please note that Eldritch Strike is Cha as well as Con, you get to choose, when you get it!

Eldritch Strike (Warlock)[1] 1[W]+Cha and slide target 1, counts as basic melee.
I agree - IF it is a front or second line fighter. A ranged combatant would be better served with taking Eldritch Blast. And then later on Reaper's touch if they want to have an up close attack. This way they get a basic ranged and a basic melee at will.

Alternatively, Acid Orb and reaper's touch is also a good combo.

Yeah, this can certainly be a good choice. I think, incidentally, it's the better option for most half-elf warlocks who already have Eldritch Blast. That way they have a decent melee basic, but still have that dilettante slot open for another at-will, such as a wizard or sorcerer AOE spell.

I'm not sure it would often be worth it for non-warlocks to take eldritch blast and reaper's touch though. As you said, it's probably not better than eldritch strike for melee combatants. Defenders in particular can do wonderful things with interrupts/OAs and a slide effect. Back-line controller types might benefit from eldritch blast (perhaps a slight increase to their damage, always nice), but I'm uncertain whether they'd bother taking reaper's touch in that case. I guess if depends on how often they find themselves in melee and how much trouble they have getting back out, because it certainly won't be something they'll want to happen.

That said, magic missile and reaper's touch can be really nice, when in an arcane charger type build, but that option isn't really open to half-elves
I'm surprised that almost all of the sky blue's are not in the charisma or con categories. The fact that half-elves get bonuses to those two stats should bump alot of those blacks into blues at least, imo.
I'm surprised that almost all of the sky blue's are not in the charisma or con categories. The fact that half-elves get bonuses to those two stats should bump alot of those blacks into blues at least, imo.

Sky blue basically translates as "You are playing a class that may or may not have anything at all to do with cha or con. Due to this power, Versatile mastery means that you *still* might want to consider a half-elf." Pressing strike for polearm fighters, for example. If you know that str is going to be your primary stat, and that you're going to want 15s in wis and dex by paragon, that really doesn't leave much room for con or cha... but for some builds, pressing strike really *is* that good.

Another way of looking at it - we're figuring that people will walk into this chart with their class and boost stats already determined. Comparing powers within base stat is more helpful than comparing them between base stat - +2 isn't always that big a deal.

Edit: Also, you are missing Wrath of Winter (shaman, totem) under wis vs Fortitude. 1d10 cold damage and can teleport spirit companion (if you have one). I'm thinking black.

For that matter, druid beastform attacks and shaman spirit attacks have pretty much identical situations, and should be treated identically. If you multiclass into the appropriate class, they become usable, and pretty much black. If you don't, they are unusable, and thus red. Currently, you're listing the druid stuff as black and the shaman stuff as purple. Suggested fix: list all as purple, and put in a couple of blurbs (or one for both of them) in the explanations section

As far as I know, Circling Strike and Predator Strike should both be red - they're in the same boat, but I don't know of any multiclass feat that will actually give you the beast that you need to use them. Also, predator strike should be in the wisdom section rather than the strength (not that it really matters) as it is affected by wisdom (+ to damage) but has no str component. If it at some point becomes possible to acquire a beast companion via feats, they'd upgrade to the situation that the shaman and druid powers are in.
Oops, wrath was on the next page.
Done with all of sanity's work.
Strength of Stone was marked blue, and I don't know why, there are 3 identical abilities.
A couple more thoughts...

- Change the blurb on Horrible to something like "Horrible: Gives no benefit. Has no point." It's more in tune with the way you've been ranking thus far, and, I think, more useful. In particular, the people who read this with an eye to pure optimization will rarely grab anything lower than blue. Those who care about things other than optimization may prefer that their at-will comes from a specific power source or a specific class, so they might be interested in a strike of decent quality, even if there's another strike out there that's the same thing with a small situational bonus or something.

- move Predator Strike (wis) into the "vs AC" section, rather than hovering above it.
The reason I left it hovering above is that its like commander's strike in that it has not initial target, instead someone else is making the attack with a bonus you grant.
Given that you can retrain you Dilettante power I am wondering if the choice BEFORE Versatile Master should be different AFTER versatile master. Possibly consider adding a column for when / if you pick Combat Virtuoso.

Perhaps we need a mini matrix that give different rating for no extra feats, with VM, and possibly with CV and with both. Because it certainly changes greatly with those feats. In fact, for my bard (who is criminally short on give a save feats) I will almost assuredly pick up Sacred Flame once he gets to VM and CV. This is OK because status effects become much more prominent in the paragon tier. But until then I am going with Eldritch Blast. (It would be Acid Orb, if I took Arcane Implement Proficiency (Light Blade) which I still may do....)

Which reminds me I do think Eldritch Blast is as least as good as Acid Orb, and both should be blue.....

What if you added a recommended role? Or perhaps mentioned if it is for front line second line or artillery?

Also - formatting wise I find that bolding everything up to the description makes it easier on the eyes.

Finally Cutting Word is here. I think it is a Blue power. It certainly is better for defenders.
If we are going to divide it up to pre-VM and post-VM that implies that VM is a must, which I havent really seen. It's nice, but there are certainly builds that don't NEED it.
Given that you can retrain you Dilettante power I am wondering if the choice BEFORE Versatile Master should be different AFTER versatile master. Possibly consider adding a column for when / if you pick Combat Virtuoso.

Perhaps we need a mini matrix that give different rating for no extra feats, with VM, and possibly with CV and with both. Because it certainly changes greatly with those feats. In fact, for my bard (who is criminally short on give a save feats) I will almost assuredly pick up Sacred Flame once he gets to VM and CV. This is OK because status effects become much more prominent in the paragon tier. But until then I am going with Eldritch Blast. (It would be Acid Orb, if I took Arcane Implement Proficiency (Light Blade) which I still may do....)

Which reminds me I do think Eldritch Blast is as least as good as Acid Orb, and both should be blue.....

What if you added a recommended role? Or perhaps mentioned if it is for front line second line or artillery?

Also - formatting wise I find that bolding everything up to the description makes it easier on the eyes.

Finally Cutting Word is here. I think it is a Blue power. It certainly is better for defenders.

Wait, where does it say we can retrain dilettante???
Wait, where does it say we can retrain dilettante???

You basically can't. Powers retrained have to be of the same type, and from the same class. Retraining Powers in the PHB says:
Power: You can replace a power with another power of the same type (at-will attack power, encounter attack power, daily attack power, or utility power), of the same level or lower, and from the same class—
*snip example*
You can’t replace a power that’s a class feature (such as a cleric’s healing word or a warlock’s eldritch blast) or a power gained from a paragon path or epic destiny.

Dilettante is not a class feature, but it was probably also intended to be covered under the last section. Even if it's not, you'd have to retrain to a power from the same class your original Dilettante was from.
You basically can't. Powers retrained have to be of the same type, and from the same class. Retraining Powers in the PHB says:
Dilettante is not a class feature, but it was probably also intended to be covered under the last section. Even if it's not, you'd have to retrain to a power from the same class your original Dilettante was from.

That's what I figured.
Sign In to post comments