PEACH - New feat: Unusual training

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Unusual training [general]
You have training in some field of activity unusual for people of your class
Requirements: -
Benefit: You may pick a number of skills equal to your intelligence bonus (minimum 1), these are now treated as class skills for you. Should your intelligence increase after you take this feat, you will gain new class skills as if you had that intelligence when you took the feat
Special: This feat can be taken multiple times, each time it can be applied to a new set of skills.

So what do you think? It certainly helps you qualify for certain PrC's, but it might be a bit unbalanced, don't know.
Seems balanced enough for me. I always found that most classes weren't given nearly enough skill points and class skills.
I see the decrease of skills in 4e as a sign I was right about this.
im using this in my next campaign
I would take this in a second for many of my character ideas. Normally I'd consider that a sign of the feat being too good, but I kinda agree with T_Stalker. A lot of classes got really robbed on class skills and skill points. Fighters should have Spot at least, that's too damned important for someone whose job is to be aware of threats and deal with them before they become fatalities.

The utility for getting into prestige classes more easily can't be denied, but the well-designed prestige classes have caps to keep you from getting in too early and/or aren't frontloaded anyway. I don't think it's too powerful for a feat, it's just very appealing as a fix for a problem that plagues a lot of characters and shouldn't.
I would take this in a second for many of my character ideas. Normally I'd consider that a sign of the feat being too good, but I kinda agree with T_Stalker. A lot of classes got really robbed on class skills and skill points. Fighters should have Spot at least, that's too damned important for someone whose job is to be aware of threats and deal with them before they become fatalities.

Oh, no! Fighters can't have Spot! All city guards have to be really bad at their jobs! Or be Rangers!

Personally, I've never run a D&D game with class skills. They are silly and tedious.

However, even as much as I hate class skills, I would still never take this feat. Feats are too precious to waste on on skills.
Heroes Don't Need Special Gear to Be Heroic - A guide to removing magic item dependency and smoothing out advancement. Reinventing the Workday: A Shift Towards Encounter-Based Resources - A guide to abandoning daily resources
It totally blows away the Cosmopolitan feat. Ordinarily I'd think that a homebrew feat that is so clearly better than an official feat is cause for concern, but when it comes to this area I think it's fair.

My only concern is that it increases MAD for the classes that would benefit most from it, those being most of the 2+int per level classes, except for wizard of course. At first glance it seems wizard would reap the most benefit from this feat, but then it occurred to me that wizards likely can't spare the feat space for this anyway.

I think it's pretty balanced, all in all.
May I be as bold as suggesting something completely different ...

As balanced as I think this feat is, and as much as I like it ... I don't want this as a feat. Instead, I wish this was part of how character design worked, how I wish all classes were designed -- you get your list of class skills ... PLUS, one additional skill that is always considered "in class" for you, equal to your INT mod (exactly how bonus languages work).
Well yeah, that'd be pretty cool too GG. The benefit of the feat form, however, is that it can help to get around a lot of DMs' tendency to **** their pants when you ask them for something for nothing, even if it's something to plug a gaping development hole that shouldn't be there in the first place.
May I be as bold as suggesting something completely different ...

As balanced as I think this feat is, and as much as I like it ... I don't want this as a feat. Instead, I wish this was part of how character design worked, how I wish all classes were designed -- you get your list of class skills ... PLUS, one additional skill that is always considered "in class" for you, equal to your INT mod (exactly how bonus languages work).

That's kind of how the Conan RPG did it.
Well yeah, that'd be pretty cool too GG. The benefit of the feat form, however, is that it can help to get around a lot of DMs' tendency to **** their pants when you ask them for something for nothing, even if it's something to plug a gaping development hole that shouldn't be there in the first place.

As a DM myself, I always give every class an extra 2 skill points, let characters hold them over for several levels if they hit max ranks in something, and give characters 2-3 slots to add class skills. I can't see any DM that wouldn't let you take this feat, if not give it to you for free as they probably should...but that's just me.
I'm kindof torn... it both seems too powerful, AND I would very rarely consider taking it (only if I needed prereqs for a PrC badly, had Int and could spare a feat somehow...) and yet I can't help but agree with the arguments presented. It's only skills, and the feat doesn't actually grant any additional skill points or bonuses, so you still have to pay for everything the hard way.

I have to admit, I've looked at the Human Paragon 3-level class from UA a lot of times for its Lvl 1 power to not only choose any class skills they want, but the choose one skill which becomes a class skill for all future levels of any class as well... I usually can't work it into my build though (losing 1 BaB sucks for melee, and losing 1 spell level sucks for casters).

In the end, because I think the potential of multiple skills at once sounds a little scary from the perspective of sneaking into PrCs, and because the lack of skill points/bonuses makes the feat unappealing (to me) for any other purpose, I think if I were making a feat for this purpose, I would probably make it more like this:

Unusual Training [General]
Requirements: 15 in associated attribute (see text).
Benefit: Select any one skill where you have 15+ in the associated attribute. This skill is treated as a Class Skill in all respects for all classes the character has levels in, current and future. In addition, for every 5 ranks the character gains in the selected skill, they gain a cumulative +1 bonus to the skill. This bonus does NOT stack with that granted by Skill Focus.

This version makes it more likely that the skill is something your character is actually really good at, and makes it less attractive as a way to sneak into PrCs (not that I'm accusing the OP of that, that's just my main balance concern about unleashing this homebrew into a campaign).