Master Player Race List Version 2.0

177 posts / 0 new
Last post
Update!

Due to popular demand, I added the two LA +0 races from Dragon Compendium Volume 1 (Lupin and Tibbit). I usually only post things published by wotc. Dragon Compendium was merely licensed by wotc to paizo publishing. For a while, I had thought about adding Dragon Compendium races to the list because as unofficial sources go, it is one of the most official and frequently used of them all. Finally, I have decided to add them
lol, good... i understand why though ;)
technically the Shyft (FF) get the +0 LA.... and keeps the Spell-like that grants it the +3 LA, more or less. but i would maybe have it as a +2

Shyfts also have one racial HD
so even if their LA becomes +0 using the Lesser Planetouched options, the HD remains and the ECL is +1
Shyfts also have one racial HD
so even if their LA becomes +0 using the Lesser Planetouched options, the HD remains and the ECL is +1

I don't know if it would work that way. Shyfts aren't supposed to become "lesser" anyway, so there can never be clear answer to this question.
remember that the Lesser Planetouched only applies to those in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, it says so on that same page as the Lesser Planetouched in the Player's Guide to Faerun.

as a DM, i would never allow most of the Lesser Planetouched played, but i've talked a few DMs into letting me play one :-p. mmmm.... Lesser Wispling...
Where have you found the stats for Jermlaine as player characters? MMII was a 3.0 book, are they updated anywhere under 3.5?

Edit: Allow me to answer my own question. http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a

However, I still don't see it's ability score adjustments listed. Did you reverse-engineer those?
However, I still don't see it's ability score adjustments listed. Did you reverse-engineer those?

Ability score adjustments are gained by subtracting 10 from any even numbered ability score and 11 from any odd score. Not difficult to do generally, so you don't need a section for player characters-- just that little +0 level adjustment.
Nitpicking but there are a few typos. Rouge should be respelled to Rogue on the following entries.

Daelkyr
Dark Dwarf
Gully Dwarf
Hadozee
Kender

I love this list by the way. Thanks for all the work and keep em coming.

Tiggy
Nitpicking but there are a few typos. Rouge should be respelled to Rogue on the following entries.

Daelkyr
Dark Dwarf
Gully Dwarf
Hadozee
Kender

That's what I get for copying and pasting the same error five times - FIXED!

I love this list by the way. Thanks for all the work and keep em coming.

Thanks! I will keep on adding races as new books come out, but as of right now, it's all up to date.
A few things

1. Desert kobalds dont have a con penalty

2. Deep Imaskari do not say they count as human in their statblock in underdark, is it stated somewhere else?

3 New Goblin Race found Drow of the Underdark I belive they should be posted as followed
Vril: +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha, Small, 30 ft. Skinshift, Shriek, Barbarian, Humanoid (goblinoid) Drow of the Underdark Pg 126
A few things

1. Desert kobalds dont have a con penalty

Nice Catch! - Fixed
2. Deep Imaskari do not say they count as human in their statblock in underdark, is it stated somewhere else?

In the flavor text, it says that they are a human sub-race
3 New Goblin Race found Drow of the Underdark I belive they should be posted as followed
Vril: +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha, Small, 30 ft. Skinshift, Shriek, Barbarian, Humanoid (goblinoid) Drow of the Underdark Pg 126

Well done! I will add them to this list as soon as I can take a look at Drow of the underdark for myself.
I love this list! Bookmarked and saved and all that. Is there a similar list for other LAs? Like, +1LA races?
I love this list! Bookmarked and saved and all that. Is there a similar list for other LAs? Like, +1LA races?

As far as I know, there is none, but who wants to play a race with with LA above +0 anyways? ;)
As far as I know, there is none, but who wants to play a race with with LA above +0 anyways? ;)

I do (using the LA buyoff option in Unearthed Arcana). ;)
I do (using the LA buyoff option in Unearthed Arcana). ;)

True, but without any variant rules, an LA over +0 sucks
True, but without any variant rules, an LA over +0 sucks

there is only two races i would ever play that are +1 LA. the 3.0 Half-Ogre and the Dvanti, the rest suck compared to +0 LA races
Well, I just added Muckdwellers to the list. My only question is WTF was wotc thinking?
Check them out for yourself:

Muckdweller: -6 Str +6 Dex -2 Cha, tiny, 20 ft. (swim 20 ft.), squirt (ex), monstrous humanoid, serpent kingdoms pg.71
Much dwellers don't have stone torpor or poison, they have squirt.

Mlarrauns, the previous monster, have stone torpor and poison.
Much dwellers don't have stone torpor or poison, they have squirt.

Mlarrauns, the previous monster, have stone torpor and poison.

Nice catch

Edit: FIXED!
I checked the books I had for tiny or smaller animals in order to see what kind of LA 0 small anthropomorphic animals I could come up with. Some are suprisingly good.

Anthropomorphic Cat: -4 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Wis, small, 30 ft., ??, scent (ex), monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215

Anthropomorphic Owl: -2 Str, +4 Dex, +6 Wis, -2 Cha, small, 10 ft. (fly 20ft. poor), ??, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215

Anthropomorphic Tiny Viper: -2 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Wis, -4 Cha, small, 15 ft., climb 15 ft., swim 15 ft., +2 natural armor, poison (ex), scent (ex), ??, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215

Anthropomorphic Penguin: -4 Str, -4 Dex, +2 Wis, small, 10 ft., swim 40 ft., hold breath (ex), ??, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215, frostburn pg.166

Anthropomorphic Horned Lizard: +2 Con, +4 Wis, small, 15 ft., burrow 5 ft., +3 natural armor, blood squirt (ex), spines (ex), druid?, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215, sandstorm pg.194

Anthropomorphic Otter: -4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Wis, -2 Cha, small, 20 ft., swim 20 ft., hold breath (ex), druid?, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215, stormwrack pg.167

Anthropomorphic Chordevoc: +2 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, +6 Wis, -2 Cha, small, 10 ft., fly 30 ft. (average), blindsense 60 ft. (ex), ??, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215, races of the wild pg.188

Anthropomorphic Reed Snake: -2 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Wis, -4 Cha, small, 15 ft., climb 15 ft., +3 natural armor, poison (ex), scent (ex), ??, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215, serpents kingdom pg.84
Anthropomorphic Chordevoc: +2 Str, +6 Dex, +2 Con, +6 Wis, -2 Cha, small, 10 ft., fly 30 ft. (average), blindsense 60 ft. (ex), ??, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215, races of the wild pg.188

Congrats! You perhaps created THE most powerful LA+0 race ... (atleast that ive ever seen, i might have to get into contact with a freind of a freind to look at races of the wild about this creature)
Anthropomorphic Penguin: -4 Str, -4 Dex, +2 Wis, small, 10 ft., swim 40 ft., hold breath (ex), ??, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215, frostburn pg.166

"Curse you, caped crumbs! You may have outwitted the Riddler's confusing conundrums, however, you'll never escape the tentacles of my dreaded mechanical octopus!" *WAAAAAak wak wak wak wak!*

Congrats! You perhaps created THE most powerful LA+0 race ... (atleast that ive ever seen, i might have to get into contact with a freind of a freind to look at races of the wild about this creature)

*twitches also* wow.... yeah
I feel dirty adding these races to the list... I need to take a second look at the rules before adding these abominations! There has to be some rule excluding these from actual use.
Anthropomorphic Cat: -4 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Wis, small, 30 ft., ??, scent (ex), monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215

Anthropomorphic Owl: -2 Str, +4 Dex, +6 Wis, -2 Cha, small, 10 ft. (fly 20ft. poor), ??, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215

According to savage species page 216, both of these are LA +1, I'm going to check the rest of the animals your listed.
Anthropomorphic Tiny Viper: -2 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Wis, -4 Cha, small, 15 ft., climb 15 ft., swim 15 ft., +2 natural armor, poison (ex), scent (ex), ??, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215

Tiny Vipers are LA +2 according to page 217 of savage species

Anthropomorphic Horned Lizard: +2 Con, +4 Wis, small, 15 ft., burrow 5 ft., +3 natural armor, blood squirt (ex), spines (ex), druid?, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215, sandstorm pg.194

Anthropomorphic Otter: -4 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Wis, -2 Cha, small, 20 ft., swim 20 ft., hold breath (ex), druid?, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215, stormwrack pg.167

Anthropomorphic Reed Snake: -2 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Wis, -4 Cha, small, 15 ft., climb 15 ft., +3 natural armor, poison (ex), scent (ex), ??, monstrous humanoid, savage species pg.215, serpents kingdom pg.84

Looking over page 215 of savage species, it lists no way of determining the LA of races not already listed in the book itself. It talks about Hit Dice, but nothing about LA. How did you even determine that these races were LA +0?
Nevermind. I thought that all anthropomorphic creatures based on tiny or smaller animals were Small-sized creatures with one monstrous humanoid hit dice and no Level Adjustment. I'm glad to see this isn't the case and that Wizards didn't go with a one-template fits all system. I should have checked back for the cat, owl, and viper. I was also feeling kid of dirty posting these races. Good thing I was wrong after all.
Nevermind. I thought that all anthropomorphic creatures based on tiny or smaller animals were Small-sized creatures with one monstrous humanoid hit dice and no Level Adjustment. I'm glad to see this isn't the case and that Wizards didn't go with a one-template fits all system. I should have checked back for the cat, owl, and viper. I was also feeling kid of dirty posting these races. Good thing I was wrong after all.

I think that the entire races forums can sleep a little easier knowing that these aren't playable LA +0 options. I'm glad that I checked them all over before adding them to the list. I knew that the rules for anthromorphic races were broken, but I had the feeling that they were that broken.

On a side note, I finally added Vril to the list!
any way we could get this stickied as it is INCREDIBLY useful and annoying to keep searching for it.

PS i do have it bookmarked but i have been using different computers.
this should definatly be stickied, who agrees with me???

This deserves a thread of its own (I bet you could get a lot of responses this way)

A better option might be to copy the Race Compendium that is no longer being updated and create a link from the top of that out to this thread. That is more likely to be stickied in my opinion.
no +0 LA races in the MM5, and only one +1.
no +0 LA races in the MM5, and only one +1.

thanks!
bump
I didn't notice any anthropomorphic dinosaurs on the list. I am not sure what the various level adjustments would be (away from books atm) but I believe there are a few low HD dinosaurs that can be anthromorphed.
In all honesty, I am simply replying because this thread is really helpful, and I think it should be kept at the front.
I didn't notice any anthropomorphic dinosaurs on the list. I am not sure what the various level adjustments would be (away from books atm) but I believe there are a few low HD dinosaurs that can be anthromorphed.

Well, if I don't know the LA for sure, then I can't add them to the list
In all honesty, I am simply replying because this thread is really helpful, and I think it should be kept at the front.

Thanks
Artic Elf: +2 Dex -2 Str, medium, 30 ft., wizard, humanoid (elf), unearthed arcana pg.9

This should be Arctic Elf.
Sign In to post comments