Master Player Race List Version 2.0

177 posts / 0 new
Last post
Synad, Complete Psionic .
I think you should add a Quickling.
Synad, Complete Psionic .

Nice Catch! I have now updated the list to include the Synad.
I think you should add a Quickling.

I don't know what book that is from. If you tell me the book, I will check to see if it belongs on the list.
Quickling doesn't qualify. CR 3.

Swords and Sorcery, "Tome of Horrors" p218.
Quickling doesn't qualify. CR 3.

Swords and Sorcery, "Tome of Horrors" p218.

Thanks! Judging by your description, you are correct. The quickling wouldn't qualify.
Are you sure that Vanara have no stat adjustments?
Are you sure that Vanara have no stat adjustments?

Here is a surprising bit of trivia for you. In a little known issue of dragon magazine which ran in April 2004, a 3.5 Oriental Adventures update that was printed. This updated a whole bunch of things the Oriental Adventures universe.

The following changes occurred to the races:

Hengeyokai were changed to having no level adjustment and gained the humanoid type with the shapechanger subtype, instead of the obsolete shapechanger type. Vanaara also lost all their ability score adjustments. Humans from the lion clan now gain the intimidate skill instead of the obsolete knowledge (war).
Wow, nice job. I was wondering where Azurin were from.

THe azurin is form MAGIC OF INCARNUM
THe azurin is form MAGIC OF INCARNUM

I think you are mis-reading this comment. He didn't know where azurin were from until he read my list, which clearly states:

Azurin: none, medium, 30 ft., soulborn, humanoid (human, incarnum), magic of incarnum pg.7
There are, in other words, only two races without lvl adjustment in d&d that has a charisma boost, and both of these are from Forgotten Realms? (Lesser aasimar, star elf)
There are, in other words, only two races without lvl adjustment in d&d that has a charisma boost, and both of these are from Forgotten Realms? (Lesser aasimar, star elf)

There is one race with a cha bonus that isn't from forgotten realms:

Spellscale: +2 Cha -2 Con, medium, 30 ft., sorcerer and same as base creature, humanoid (dragonblood), races of the dragon pg.21

Also, although the variant aasimar appears in a forgotten realms book, the race of aasimars are not forgotten realms specific (they appear in the monster manual). At the same time, I warn against using the variant LA +0 aasimar because it is very overpowered.
Your list rocks. I never saw the first one. I have a much smaller list in my computer and it can't hold a candle to what you've done. My hats off to you.
Your list rocks. I never saw the first one. I have a much smaller list in my computer and it can't hold a candle to what you've done. My hats off to you.

thanks, I appreciate it.
Does anyone have a Rakshasan style of cat-people that's an ECL-1 race? I was thinking of using the same basic imagery as the Rak's but without the backwards palms and having representative sub-races of many of the great cats to use in my campaign, but I don't want to create some, post them, and have it be a repeat... if not then I'll make some up and get back to you. :D
The Hellbred from Fiendish Codex II are LA 0

Just heard about them today, I currently don't have access to a copy of Fiendish Codex II. I will post it when a copy becomes available. If anyone for the time being wants to post the stats for Hellbred or any other LA +0 races from Fiendish Codex II, I will add them to the list.

The juxtaposition of those posts confuses me. Does that mean that Hellbred are Rakshasas?

Also, nice list.
Hellbred, Humanoid(Hellbred), Speed 30, +2 con -2 int (Body variant), +2 cha -2 con (spirit variant), Favored Class: Paladin
Oh sure... But are they cats?
Oh sure... But are they cats?

what are cats? the Hellbred are a freaky looking diabolic-reformed race. i actually am planning on playing one for one of the games i'm in
Hellbred, Humanoid(Hellbred), Speed 30, +2 con -2 int (Body variant), +2 cha -2 con (spirit variant), Favored Class: Paladin

thanks! Hellbred seem a lot different than most races. I will hold off on adding them to the main list until I have time to look over fiendish codex II. Their mechanics are weird, so I want to make sure that I got them right.
they're a high +0 LA imho. but they would fit
Yeah, the hellbred are wonky. They dont actually have a size or speed listed. Those I lifted from the example char.

The story is that they are reformed creatures of other races (but it isnt a template). I suppose one could argue for Medium 30 ft, and Small 20 ft (even large 40 ft!) versions. But it is rather vague.
Yeah, the hellbred are wonky. They dont actually have a size or speed listed. Those I lifted from the example char.

The story is that they are reformed creatures of other races (but it isnt a template). I suppose one could argue for Medium 30 ft, and Small 20 ft (even large 40 ft!) versions. But it is rather vague.

Well mechanically, they seem very similar to the dragonborn or possibly the spellscales (both found in Races of Destiny), but I until I get my hands on fiendish codex II, I won't be able to summarize them confidently and accurately.
Nothing from Dark Sun at all ???

and not a single Insectoid creature made the list. hmmmmm
Nothing from Dark Sun at all ???

and not a single Insectoid creature made the list. hmmmmm

Although wotc has sanctioned third edition versions of the Dark Sun Campaign Setting, wotc has yet to publish a single book for the Dark Sun Campaign Setting.
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, there is a templete in savage species called Yuan-ti. it creates two diffrent creature templates and one of them by RAW has no level adjustment (though no sane dm would alow it). The "broodguard".
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, there is a templete in savage species called Yuan-ti. it creates two diffrent creature templates and one of them by RAW has no level adjustment (though no sane dm would alow it). The "broodguard".

thats still a template.... not a single race
forgive me then as i thought both spellscale and the dragonborn were both templates on the list (they sound that way from the description)
forgive me then as i thought both spellscale and the dragonborn were both templates on the list (they sound that way from the description)

No biggie! :D

The Dragonborn (like the Elan) is a transformative race. Nothing gives birth to a Dragonborn...it starts as another races and becomes something greater. If I didn't have the book, I would also think that it was a template. :D
Pft. I have way more races than that. If you're trying to impress me, sir, you've failed.
Pft. I have way more races than that. If you're trying to impress me, sir, you've failed.

I hardly think his aim was to impress people.

It's designed as a tool for people to find LA +0 races in one spot, and it serves that purpose well.

Not everything is an ego contest that involves being the center of attention.

I'm making a detect sarcasm check...
Natural 1...
No clue
Synad: none, medium, 30 ft., Threefold Mind (Su), Oracle (Su), Collective (Su), Multitask (Su), any, humanoid (synad, psionic), Complete Psionic pg. 140

If memory serves... Synad are Aberations instead of humanoids.
If memory serves... Synad are Aberations instead of humanoids.

true, I will update it
UPDATE: I finally added Hellbred to the list.

Master Player Race List Version 2.0 should be now all up to date
I'm not sure if it's legal but you should make a book with only races of all kinds in it for WOTC. I think you would sell a lot.

LOL
I'm not sure if it's legal but you should make a book with only races of all kinds in it for WOTC. I think you would sell a lot.

LOL

I've thought about something along those lines, using PDFs, but that would take so much time (keep in mind that just this list took a great deal of time to create).
I would do it but for one i don't have all the books and theres a lot of races that i don't have in the books for. Also theres something about the copyright that im sure makes it illegal to make a book unless you got promotion from WOTC.
and the book would either need major updates every month or it will be, more or less, pointless. don't get me wrong... i'd love one, just my lists on my comp are more up to date, then said book would be.