Ironlightsaber Customs

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/IL043.jpg)

It's been over year since I posted any images of my custom figs so I figure it's about time to post some more. Some were posted before, but I included them so all my mods would appear in a single thread. I just got this camera and it really doesn't do the figs justice but I figure some pics are better than no pics at all. I hope you enjoy.

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/IL001.jpg)

"Admiral Ackbar" was one of my first mods I ever made and I got 4 stitches in my thumb making him. The exacto knife went right through the plastic and down to the bone in my thumb. You might be able to tell which mods were made while I had stitches :P. I made "Bespin Han" as a stand-in fig for nimzomitch until he pulled a RS Han. It was made from a Naboo Soldier and is rather blocky because it was only meant to be a stand in piece. The "Dead Rebel" was made by cutting up a Rebel Trooper, repositioning the pieces and gluing them back to the base.

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/IL002.jpg)

These two E-Web Blasters are not mods but were made from scratch. I used plastic pieces left over from models, bits of metal, half of a Gonk Power Droid and some Sculpey to create them. I also made stat cards for it and other items that I hope to post for others to use. The stats and rules cards are from the Ultimate Mission books, except the rules on jumping which is a mix of all the different UM rules cleaned up into one.

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/IL003.jpg)

Here are some modded "Scout Troopers-Running Toward the Fight". I just cut them at the waist, rotated them a little, glued it and then sculpted the waist to look correct. The arms were cut and pinned as well. The "Dead Trooper" fig was made like the above "Dead Rebel".

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/IL004.jpg)

These are my modded Imperial Officers-"Death Star Officer" was made from an Imperial Officer body with a Rebel Trooper head. "Imperial Officer-Being Choked" was made the body of the above mentioned Rebel Trooper with an Imperial Officer's head. "Imperial Officer-At Attention" was made from Tarkin's body with an Imperial officer's head. Tarkin's head was used for a different mod that you'll see later on.

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/IL005.jpg)

This is a "Twi'lik Sith" with a couple of droid friends from the Death Star. The body of the "Twi'lik Sith" was made from a Klatooninian Enforcer with the head of a Twi'lik Scoundrel. I gave him two lightsabers and Sith tattoos on his lekku to add some personality. "The Death Star Droid" is just an R2 repainted to look like the droid found on the Second DeathStar and the "Interrogation Droid" was made completely from Sculpey. I included the front of the stat card I made for reference.

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/IL006.jpg)

Here's my "Darth Vader-Who's Your Daddy?". The fig was made from RS Darth Vader-Dark Jedi. The scene it's from is still one of the best in all movies. I know that his lightsaber was off when he held his hand out to Luke but I decided to keep it on for the mini.

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/IL007.jpg)

These are a couple of modded Tuskens. The two with staffs were cut, adjusted, pinned and sculpted into different poses. The Tusken on the Bantha and the Tusken on the left were cut at the waist and switched. I've seen that other people have done this switch as well; it's quite simple to do and I highly recommend it.

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/IL008.jpg)

The "Oola-Doomed Dancer" was a Twi'lek Bodygaurd that was completely cut apart at all the joints, pinned and readjusted. I used the staff for the chain and positioned it to look like Jabba was pulling on it. "Bib Fortuna" was a Twi'lek Scoundrel and I hope that WOTC will make one with a CE that improves Jabba. "Boba Fett" was a CS Clone Trooper that I made as a stand-in until I finally got one (I ended up having to buy it).

CLICK ON THE ICONS TO GET MORE INFORMATION

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

etd3331, I liked your Dark Side Varactyl Wrangler; he came out awesome.

Here's my "Companions of Revan" from the Knights of the Old Republic game.

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/HPIM1986.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/HPIM1987.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/HPIM1988.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/HPIM1989.jpg)

They are: Carth Onasi, Mission Vao, Zaalbar, T3-M4, Canderous Ordo, Juhani and Jolee Bindo.

Here's the whole group of nine companions with the WOTC's Bastila Shan and HK-47.

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/HPIM1985.jpg)

If you're not familiar with the game here's the Wookieepedia entry:http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kotor
When I have access to a better camera I'll try to remeber to take another pic so you can see the details. These images really don't do them justice (as you can tell from the Bastila and HK in the last one).

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Those rock!

Where's Trask and Revan?
Nice Kotor figs.
T3-M4 is awesome.
I would like to see better pics, or see em in person.
Just beat Kotor, and am now playing Kotor 2.
About half way through it.
Speaking of KOTOR 2, are you making those guys?
Any way see ya Saturday.
thanks ILS,

those companions of revan turned out really good!

also wanted to ask if you make custom cards as well. Cause i started one but my printer didn't really print it nicely. do you make them? and if so, what printing settings/paper do you use?
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Ilikeyoda, I didn't make Trask for two reasons--first he is barely in the game. He helps you battle down a couple of hallways unlike the other characters that help you explore whole worlds. He's kind of like the guy who goes with the away team in Star Trek--he's just there to die. Secondly, the Old Republic Commander looks just like him. I might do a repose of an ORC and give him Trask's hair color and a bigger gun just so I have the "missing" companion.

The reason I didn't make a Revan is that there are over a dozen different looks you can choose from in the game to play (doubled if you count the female versions-although it has been stated that Revan is a male). If WOTC makes a Revan it will probably be a darkside version for that reason. There's a cool image in wookieepedia of a Redeemed Revan in armor similar to his character when he is a Sith. I might make a version that looks like that with a blue saber as well as a darkside version with a red saber. Maybe that is what I'll work on next.

I'm halfway through KOTOR 2 as well scruffy. I will probably make a set of them when I finish. I'm playing a male Exile in the game but I have heard that the cannonical version is suppose to be female so if I do make an Exile I will probably make it a female version.

I do make custom cards from time to time etd3331. On page 2, post #49 are links to several custom cards as well as blank cards. I usually print cards no smaller than 150 dpi but like to print them at 300 dpi. I use cardstock when I print them (I think it has a weight of 25 but could be wrong). I print one side and then flip the sheet and print the other side of the card. My printer tends to pull so I have to adjust the second side a little to make up for it.

Here's a brief rundown of the pieces I used to create the "Companions of Revan" figs--

Carth is a Rodian Mercenary body with a Corellian Pirate's head. The parts were cut and refitted in a new pose. I added a second holster and the feet of an ASP-7 droid to the tops of the guns. The paint detail on the jacket is what really sets this piece up.

Mission is Dark Side Enforcer and again the parts were cut and refitted in a new pose. The head tails were handmade from Scupty.

Zaalbar is a Wookiee Soldier that I cut the cross belts off, reposed and then used contour putty to reshape the hair and create the sholder belts. The family sword is from a GamesWorkshop weapon's tree and the gun is a mish mash of guns and pieces.

T3 is a pair of R5 Astromech Droids that were cut apart. The body was the hardest part and I had to cut that shape a couple of times until I got it right.

Canderous is the body and head of an Old Republic Commander which has been repositioned. The arms are from a Talon Karrde fig and repositioned. The gun is mish mash of guns and pieces.

Juhani is the repositioned body of a Jaina Solo with the head from a D&D mini (don't know the name). The hair was made from contour putty.

Jolee is a Jedi Weapon Master reposed with a D&D mini's head (don't know the name) that I cut the pony tail off of and sculpt with contour putty.

Very nice! Can't wait to see some closer-up pics!
Excellent as always.
Very Nice, is that Durge on Swoop bike for sale?
nice T3!!!!!!!!!!!! I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got a name for your bike yet?
I named mine "Old School"
The girl loves the Ewoks. What would it take for us to own those or get you to make another set?
It's already July?!?!!?

Been busy and haven't really had time to customize much, but the little time I have had been spent working on a special customizing project. Can't say much else because I don't want to jinx myself; but I will say to just check the SWM main page in a couple of months.

GWEk, here's a better pic of the KOTOR customs. This should show some better details.

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/KOTR1.jpg)

I've borrowed a better camera for that project mentioned above and I will be taking pics of the customs I started at the Tenthpenny workshop when they are finished (and any others I make while I have use of the camera).

Darth_Bane, no the swoop is not for sale. DarthMoose74, Midnight seems to be the front runner still. Haven13, time is what I really would need to make a set but I really have none to spare right now. I have to repair my set as the feathers were make from Scuplty and have since broken off.

I hope to have some new pics up in the next couple of weeks.

Stunning, absolutely stunning.
Awesome job on the KOTOR line of mini's!!!

I saw your work firsthand at CIV, and it inspired me to get into customizing myself .... keep up the great work!!

And when you refer to pinning... what and how do you go about doing that ... In my limited time in customizing, i've just been using glue to put the joints together..

Thanks!
If at first you don't succeed, spend a force point and roll again.
I saw your work firsthand at CIV, and it inspired me to get into customizing myself ....

Wow, that's the best compliment I could hope for.

And when you refer to pinning... what and how do you go about doing that ... In my limited time in customizing, i've just been using glue to put the joints together.

Without going into too much detail, pinning is when you poke or drill with a hand drill a small hole in each of the pieces you want to put together and take a small pin of metal (like a small piece from a staple, 1/4" to 1/8" long) and use it to help the glue hold the pieces together.

Pinned joints tend to hold together really well, so when the fig is accidently dropped the custom won't break apart easily. Also if you use a longer pin and some green stuff (or countour putty) you can position the pieces farther apart and get completely different poses. (if things go as planned there should be a very detailed set of instuctions on the SWM main page on how to pin in the next year--but I can't say more about that :incog

:OMG! These are the best customs I have ever seen in my life! You inspired me to start making a few of my own customs :OMG!
Without going into too much detail, pinning is when you poke or drill with a hand drill a small hole in each of the pieces you want to put together and take a small pin of metal (like a small piece from a staple, 1/4" to 1/8" long) and use it to help the glue hold the pieces together.

Pinned joints tend to hold together really well, so when the fig is accidently dropped the custom won't break apart easily. Also if you use a longer pin and some green stuff (or countour putty) you can position the pieces farther apart and get completely different poses. (if things go as planned there should be a very detailed set of instuctions on the SWM main page on how to pin in the next year--but I can't say more about that :incog

(in Guiness beer commercial accent) - STAPLES!!! BRILLIANT!! That makes a lot of sense... I'll give it try next time around.

And I like the mystery surrounding that final statement!!
And I like the mystery surrounding that final statement!!

Well the mystery is over! ;) If you haven't seen it yet, here's the link to the first article of an on going monthly feature on making customs found on the Star Wars Miniatures main site--
Customizing Star Wars Minis Part 1: Tools and Precautions

It's weird how things work out sometimes. I was asked to do the customizing demo at Tenthpenny at the same time I started working on the the articles. Now you know why there has been a lack of updates to this thread.

Speaking of the Tenthpenny workshop, thanks to everyone who attended it. Having never done anything like that before I wasn't sure how it was going to go. Judging from the response afterwards it seems like it went really well.

I finally finished the three customs that I started that day and here they are--

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/HPIM2359.jpg)

It's hard pulling Storm Commandos so I showed how a simple repaint can change a Kashyyyk Trooper into one. For the second part I took a A&E Scout Trooper and a second Kashyyyk Trooper and by cutting and combining them I made a second Storm Commando.

For the last part of the workshop I took a Talz Spy and showed how to pin joints to create complex poses and how to make additional elements from Sculpty in order to create the Jedi Foul Moudama. I didn't like the way the robes turned out so I remade them from paper which is something I didn't show that day.

Hope everyone enjoys the articles. There will be a new one on a monthly basis (or there close to it). I'm sure that for most customizers on these boards it will be going a little slow but I am really trying to cover each element in a lot of detail and build up to more advance techniques and tricks. Please let me know on this thread your opinions of it and any suggetions you might have for future articles.

Great job again... love the Foul Moudama ... excellent detail on the belt ...

And being that I only have 1 storm commando ... and 7 or 8 Kashyyyk troopers ... I'll have to give that paint job a try!

Excellent article, too ... looking forward to the follow ups.
Well the mystery is over! ;) If you haven't seen it yet, here's the link to the first article of an on going monthly feature on making customs found on the Star Wars Miniatures main site--

It's weird how things work out sometimes. I was asked to do the customizing demo at Tenthpenny at the same time I started working on the the articles. Now you know why there has been a lack of updates to this thread.

Speaking of the Tenthpenny workshop, thanks to everyone who attended it. Having never done anything like that before I wasn't sure how it was going to go. Judging from the response afterwards it seems like it went really well.

I finally finished the three customs that I started that day and here they are--

It's hard pulling Storm Commandos so I showed how a simple repaint can change a Kashyyyk Trooper into one. For the second part I took a A&E Scout Trooper and a second Kashyyyk Trooper and by cutting and combining them I made a second Storm Commando.

For the last part of the workshop I took a Talz Spy and showed how to pin joints to create complex poses and how to make additional elements from Sculpty in order to create the Jedi Foul Moudama. I didn't like the way the robes turned out so I remade them from paper which is something I didn't show that day.

Hope everyone enjoys the articles. There will be a new one on a monthly basis (or there close to it). I'm sure that for most customizers on these boards it will be going a little slow but I am really trying to cover each element in a lot of detail and build up to more advance techniques and tricks. Please let me know on this thread your opinions of it and any suggetions you might have for future articles.

Being someone who is just atarting to customize minis I really apreciate the article. There really wasnt much new in the first article but I am looking forward to future ones. (I might not have learned much from the first article but that dosnt mean you didnt cover almost everything I know about the subject). I hope that you take the time to show how some of your minis are created (I would love to see some instructions for your KOTOR set like they have for TLT where they showed step by step instructions.) Maybe have a mini with your articles so people can put your teachings to use? Thanks for taking the time to share your minis with the rest of us and for taking the time to teach those of us who are just starting out.

PS: Looking for a padawan?
Your customs are nicely built. One bit of critique though. You're painting seems a bit two dimensional. Have you ever thought about washes and dry brushing? Check out some of the articles on Coolminiornot.com. They have some great tutorials on how to improve on painting and overall mini customizing.
Hi Iron
DarthMoose was pretty upset he could not make it to TenthPenny for your customizing. He was planning on comming for a month.
He got pnemonia pretty bad and had to go to the hospital. He is still not at 100% but is going back to TP tonight for his first game in a month.
Do you plan on doing another class any time soon?
Hopefully he can make the next one and me too.

It was a great article, although as far as the equipment listed I would like to add that you can probably use household materials such as a cutting board and pocket knife as opposed to the cardboard taped togethor or the self healing suface. And I was really surprised that accrylic rods weren't on it, as they are useful as well, especially for SW.
Hey, these are all wonderful. Personal favorites include Darth Revan, the Basilisk War Droid, and Mission Vao. Of course, General Kenobi on the speeder is just fantastic.

By the way, I never realized what a difference professional-style photography can make for your minis. I was really impressed with your modeling, but after looking at those professional shots your friend took I really got a taste for your paint jobs as well, which are overall quite good.
very good job. i suck at modding but i would love to buy or trade for some if your willing
Man,just wanna say your Grievous and your Twi'Lek Sith were totally cool!Have you ever though to make Legacy Era stuff?Ok,its kinda hard because they all have a specific weird look in some way compared to the rest of the SW universes....Have you done stats to all of them???
Man, time is just flying by. Busy summer.

monni316... excellent detail on the belt ...

Thanks for catching that. I try to be as accurate as possible, get as many details in; and that is why it tends to take me a little longer to get customs done.

Guardian_A, thanks for the feedback. The first half dozen or so articles will be very basic and as they go along they will get more and more advanced. I'm not sure if I will give specific instructions on how to make those KOTR figs but hopefully from the articles you will be able to build them with the info provided.

Coldfront--Your customs are nicely built. One bit of critique though. You're painting seems a bit two dimensional. Have you ever thought about washes and dry brushing? Check out some of the articles on Coolminiornot.com. They have some great tutorials on how to improve on painting and overall mini customizing.

The camera really doesn't show the detail in the painting. I visit Coolminiornot.com as often as I can. Funny that you mention washes and dry brushing--that's the topic of the latest article that just went up. I had submitted it about a month before your above post.

Jangotat13- good point about the rods and I will be covering that in the future. I was just trying to cover the tools used in all customs/mini painting. GoodKingJayIII- thanks and I wish I had the time to have all my minis professionally photographed. stratusxdude, sorry they're not for sale.

SithLore, I've thought about making Legacy minis and I love the ones that adliv and myname have done of them. There will be Legacy minis in a set coming out soon and with as little time as I have I will probably wait and see what they look like and who they make before I do any. That's the catch-22 of making customs--you never know what will be made and I try to make minis of things I really want to see. Sometimes I make a custom and then WOTC makes the same character.

It's already July?!?!!?

I've borrowed a better camera for that project mentioned above and I will be taking pics of the customs I started at the Tenthpenny workshop when they are finished (and any others I make while I have use of the camera).

Darth_Bane, no the swoop is not for sale. DarthMoose74, Midnight seems to be the front runner still. Haven13, time is what I really would need to make a set but I really have none to spare right now. I have to repair my set as the feathers were make from Scuplty and have since broken off.

I hope to have some new pics up in the next couple of weeks.

So, if I give you TIME, you'll GIVE me ewoks? Where's my Quantum Physics book?

Seriously, though. Do you use a tripod for your camera when taking pics? I put the minis on the floor and invert the top of the tripod so that it sits in between the legs and closer to the minis. I find I get much clearer pics. I hope it helps.
Haven13--So, if I give you TIME, you'll GIVE me ewoks? Where's my Quantum Physics book?

:P

The problem I have is that my camera has a fixed lens and the one I borrowed with an adjustable lens went on the fritz. Have a good set up and I find that another way to avoid blur from camera shake is to use the timer so you are not holding the camera at all when the picture is taken.

..... I finally finished the three customs that I started that day and here they are--

It's hard pulling Storm Commandos so I showed how a simple repaint can change a Kashyyyk Trooper into one. For the second part I took a A&E Scout Trooper and a second Kashyyyk Trooper and by cutting and combining them I made a second Storm Commando......

Storm Commandos/ Kashyyyk Trooper custom look a little familiar, ;) I wonder where the idea came from? :D Yours look good, but I see no reposes... over all fine job... :D
MAN, these are the BEST customs ive ever seen. Awsome work, they look better the WotC......
The Force is like duct tape. It has a light side, a dark side, and it BINDS the galaxy together!
:P

The problem I have is that my camera has a fixed lens and the one I borrowed with an adjustable lens went on the fritz. Have a good set up and I find that another way to avoid blur from camera shake is to use the timer so you are not holding the camera at all when the picture is taken.

Yes, I use these techniques as well. But once I had access to a camera with a wireless remote. I fed the AV out to a TV and could line the picture up and take it remotely. It was sweet.
Impressive.... most impressive!!!

Superb ideas,
amazing work,
a pleasure to watch!
My SWM Customs http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/19480622/Protoss_SWM_Customs My DDM Customs http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75866/19482314/Protoss_DDM_Customs
Thanks for the feedback everyone and for bumping my thread. Time is flying by, can't believe I haven't posted to this thread for a while.

Myname-I'm not sure when I did those Storm Commandos. It was way early in the summer but I didn't see yours until after I was done. It's like the Mara fig in the first couple of pages of this thread--you see fig and you know it has to be modded into that. I didn't repose them because they were made during a workshop that I was asked to run on how to paint and mod. Nice work on your Storm Commandos by the way.

Haven13-that would be a dream set up.

I haven't worked on anything too complex lately mainly because the little free time I do have has been spent gettting together the articles for the web site. Still, here are a couple images of some customs from those articles (and kind of a preview of what you will be seeing in the upcoming articles).

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/A.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/B.jpg)

IMAGE(http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/ironlightsaber/C.jpg)

I hope to get a chance to do some more complex stuff in the near future. With some many sets coming out it hard to judge what to make that won't be made by WOTC soon. There's a couple of characters from the Dark Horse comics that I wouldn't mind making......

Ooooh, nice!
The Force is like duct tape. It has a light side, a dark side, and it BINDS the galaxy together!
O ya, ironlightsbaer, where can I get this greenstuff? Google isnt getting it, and no-one I know has heard of it.
Try looking up where GamesWorkshop stuff is sold. They make a two-part epoxy that is designed for miniatures that is referred to as greenstuff.

thanks, I looked up 2-part epoxy putty(since I couldnt find the exact "greenstuff") and found this site.https://www.mightyputty.com/spark/index.php?ai=8
Would this work alright for customs?

EDIT: I also found this sitehttp://www.fortressfigures.com/cgi-local/fortstore/commerce.cgi?product=Sculpting_Supplies&cart_id=1193688318.26985
Which of the two do you think would work better?
www.games-workshop.co.uk

thier online store has it, and yes greenstuff is the product name.
But since its very much the same stuff that this site sells only alot more expensive, i'd just follow this link ;)

http://forums.gleemax.com/leaving.php?destination=http://www.fortressfigures.com/cgi-local/fortstore/commerce.cgi%3Fproduct%3DSculpting_Supplies%26cart_id%3D1193688318.26985
That first link is to industrial epoxy and not a scultping epoxy. It might work but what you want is the stuff from Gamesworkshop and that is in the second link to Fortress Figures. The ribbon of the yellow and the blue is mixed together to activate the epoxy it and changes to a green color, hence the name greenstuff.

If you look at the Bith in the above picture his cape is made of greenstuff. He's the example piece to an article that will be out later.

Hope ILS doesn't mind me posting this here... but:

IMAGE(http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/8518/mynamecd7.jpg)

The green areas are green stuff. As well as the horns on the Kybuck... I took the picture before painting as I was quite impressed at how well I'd done with sculpting Yoda's face. :D

I also ended up sculpting the feet as the ones shown there looked... well...

IMAGE(http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5990/yokyoi0.png)

And the finished product turned out just as I had hoped... except his left hand looks a little chunky.
Sign In to post comments