Oh Where for Art Thou Wizards???

I descended on Comic-Con 2008 this year with the rabid abandon I have swooped in upon it for the past 20 years. Yes, I am a veteran. One of my most cherished preoccupations has always been the WotC area (not anywhere near the minimal size of an actual booth). Lo and behold, nothing this year! Nary a scrap of the gaming company I support both verbally, and, more importantly, financially.
What happened????
I refuse to belive it was a transportation issue, with all the added costs of gasoline! Hasbro, your parent company, was there in full force, if only for their exclusives booth. How sad.
You had a chance to bridge the gap between "old school" gamers, and the next generation. You missed it. There has always been a rift between what D&D was, and what you have daringly changed it into becoming. 4E is the new frontier for this. ( Pardon me me if I mix geek metaphors here).
I am, personally, always going to be a 2E adherent, but that does not change the fact that you missed the opprotunity of a lifetime)
Gary Gygax passed away on March 4th, 2008. He was, and is, the Godfatherof ALL RPG's, if not modern gaming.The fact that this has failed to register with you is bad enough, but the fact that you Had the chance to make a majoir tribute, in one of the most respected arenas, is pathetic.
The game he invented, the second biggest cash cow for all of you at WotC, warranted a tribute that was much more then you were willing to give. And before you go on about costs, not going to a "gaming con", or any other BS, realize the PR you could have garnered from this. This is the event Hollywood watches, and, by virtue of crap T.V., the rest of the world. You had the chance to follow up on the life of a legend, make a new legacy for the games you have derived from it, attract new gamers, and build upon your success, all while paying tribute to an Icon in the industry.
Do you think that no one realizes who he is in this age of digital gaming? Do you think he is irrellevant in the new industry? I think you had better look again. The gaming world has a long, deep, respectful memory, and holds a long grudgeYou screwed the pooch WotC. Cast a major atonement spell, and hope the Gawds that are your fans, forgive you.
Amen, I too am disappointed by the Wotc no show this year. Forget Wizards con, forget Gencon, Dragoncon, and all the rest of the pretenders, San Diego Comic Con is the King, and even if not a gaming specific con, it is the world stage for all things "Geek" including table top gaming. If not for Comic Con, I may have never got into this game. Con '04 you were there handing out promo pieces of the Tusken raider and Elite Stormtrooper, I walked by numerous times, each time putting out my little paw to get another Stormie/Raider to put in my swag bag. As an exhibitor for over 10 years at Con until I moved to Boise, Id last year we had many good times both during and after hours. I had hoped to see Kotor sitting in the little scratched up display case you bring year after year. Sadly it was no where to be found, and alas my hard earned dollars were spent elsewhere. Ask Marvel what happens when you snub your nose at Comic Con. They felt the pain, as will you if you ever attempt to come back. Lastly the cost to travel to San Diego from your Seattle homes, is so much less than what you will need to spend to go to Gencon or any other con for that matter, so cost was not an issue. Have fun in the hot humid midwest, when you could have been living it up on the Socal beaches and with the coolest "alternative" chicks the world has known.
Shame on you for banning Rob, shame on you for square bases, shame on you for Huge white Knobby spiders, shame on you for not making Kyp Durron, and lastly shame on you for the no show at San Diego Comic Con 2008, the home for 200,000+ crazy geeks in 4 days
Forget Wizards con, forget Gencon, Dragoncon, and all the rest of the pretenders, San Diego Comic Con is the King

Ah, no. Been to both, GenCon is King, not even close.

Shame on you for banning Rob, shame on you for square bases, shame on you for Huge white Knobby spiders, shame on you for not making Kyp Durron, and lastly shame on you for the no show at San Diego Comic Con 2008, the home for 200,000+ crazy geeks in 4 days

OK, I'll but that.
Where for art thou does not mean where it means why...

Been to both myself many times over the years both just to attend, and as a exhibitor. the SDCC is king of all things pop culture, Gencon is king of all Gaming cons and one of the funner cons for sure. I am glad there are many different cons over the span of the summer for all of us to enjoy.
Where for art thou does not mean where it means why...

Yup yup.

Maybe he was wondering why WOTC had begun using blasphemous witchcraft? (SARCASM)
FYI They weren't at Celebration: Japan either. You could get SW Toys from 1978 but nope. None from 2008.

Go Wotc.
Keep in mind that the economy has been in free fall for the last 6 months. I wouldn't be surpised if WotC made cutbacks to their con activity as a result.

On the plus side we have seen much more support on-line during the same period. I prefer the on-line support, free maps etc we have been getting.
Sorry to hear about Comic-Con... I might like to attend in the future, although it is a trek. Has anyone been to WonderCon in San Francisco? I'm "wondering" (sorry for the pun) if it is worth the price of admission or not? Any SWM gaming to be had there?
LOL Wherefore means why, so you are asking why the company is called Wizards.

I know what you meant but it is still funny to me.

The phrase "wherefore art thou" is most commonly associated with Romeo and Juliet, when Juliet raises the question about Romeo on her balcony. She is not wondering where he is, but why he had to be born into her family's rivals.
I can't find any schedule for WotC at PAX this year either (although they have one up for last year). You'd think WotC wouldn't have any trouble making it all the way to Seattle for a convention.
I realize this was a complete misquote of the Bard, but I didn't realize how many people would call me on it. Tough room.
Keep in mind that the economy has been in free fall for the last 6 months.

Free Fall?

Bah, we don't know what it is to be in a free fall. We (USA) are technically still not in a recession, although I think that will change soon. Sky is falling, run to the hills!
I can't find any schedule for WotC at PAX this year either (although they have one up for last year). You'd think WotC wouldn't have any trouble making it all the way to Seattle for a convention.

But last I checked PAX hadn't posted its schedule of events, either.
We (USA) are technically still not in a recession, although I think that will change soon. Sky is falling, run to the hills!

Recessions are identified with historical data therefore (as apposed to wherefore) we could be and probably (as you say above) are in the middle of one. Frankly there are more than a handful of industries that are in freefall, airlines, auto manufacturers (they were in trouble before, now they can't give SUV's away), real estate, pharma, and huge chunks of the financial industry to name just a few.

Despite all of this I think WotC have offered more of their customers more content via free maps on-line previews and scenarios etc.... I would rather that then have marketing material be limited to those lucky few who live near cons getting access to SWM goodness.
Recessions are identified with historical data therefore (as apposed to wherefore) we could be and probably (as you say above) are in the middle of one. Frankly there are more than a handful of industries that are in freefall, airlines, auto manufacturers (they were in trouble before, now they can't give SUV's away), real estate, pharma, and huge chunks of the financial industry to name just a few.

Well, its only going to get worse before it gets better, unfortunately. 2 choices for president, one of them has said publicly that he wants to expand free trade even at the expense of jobs for U.S. citizens, while the other has a tax plan that will threaten to put many small businesses on the chopping block and leave the people who are able to keep their jobs closer to the bottom pay level when that bottom level (the base standard for living in the U.S. on which every other salary revolves) gets raised an additional $2 above where it's already headed.

Of course, either of these candidates have to win congressional approval for their proposals, but I don't have a lot of faith in the most corrupt Congress to have existed to this point, either...

Despite all of this I think WotC have offered more of their customers more content via free maps on-line previews and scenarios etc.... I would rather that then have marketing material be limited to those lucky few who live near cons getting access to SWM goodness.

Well not everyone has internet access either, so even offering it this way is still preferential, from the point of view of people with access to that.

Not saying I disagree with you, but trying to keep things in perspective.
while the other has a tax plan that will threaten to put many small businesses on the chopping block.

Nice use of talking point.

Of course, either of these candidates have to win congressional approval for their proposals, but I don't have a lot of faith in the most corrupt Congress to have existed to this point, either...

So true...Blue or Red, they're all in bed with big business.

I see someone heard of Stevens' indictment.

Back on topic....

I really don't think the economy is much of an issue, the made it to Chicago for WW, and San Deigo is a lot closer than Chicago.
Well, its only going to get worse before it gets better, unfortunately.

Too far off topic to get into, but some economists consider economic signs we're seeing now as trailing indicators so this isn't necessarily true. Time will tell but there's no reason for pessimism (beyond the norm...)
Too far off topic to get into, but some economists consider economic signs we're seeing now as trailing indicators so this isn't necessarily true. Time will tell but there's no reason for pessimism (beyond the norm...)

You took that statement out of context. The economic indicators are if the current situation holds constant, and its not going to. We're about to change leaders in the oval office again. That was the point of my statement, the whole statement, which you overlooked (not beyond the norm...)
No, I understood your point. I think you overestimate the speed with which government can do anything regardless of what they say they want to do. The incoming administration will likely have no immediate impact on the economy for better or worse regardless of who wins (except the stock market always takes a short term dive if a democrat wins.) And so the economy will continue on for a while with whatever trend it's in at the moment which is upward if those economists are correct.

And now we've gotten into it beyond my point which was only that the pessimism may be unwarranted...
No, I understood your point. I think you overestimate the speed with which government can do anything regardless of what they say they want to do. The incoming administration will likely have no immediate impact on the economy for better or worse regardless of who wins (except the stock market always takes a short term dive if a democrat wins.) And so the economy will continue on for a while with whatever trend it's in at the moment which is upward if those economists are correct.

And now we've gotten into it beyond my point which was only that the pessimism may be unwarranted...

Are those economists taking into account the factor of more industries closing because of expanded free trade? Are those economists taking into account a potential increase in minimum wage or a doubling on the social security tax? I'd like to see those numbers.

It may seem like unwarranted pessimism to you, but where I live and work, there have been long discussions with the owners and the management about what will happen to us the employees after November, if the person elected president is able to push his economic agenda through Congress.

I don't want to get into alot of personal detail, but the "nightmare" scenario is that either the industries in this region will all close and move overseas, or the small businesses will go out of business, depending on which candidate wins. (And depending on whether Congress backs that person's plan.)
I've said what I have to say. I think July 2009 will be pretty similar to July 2008 just like July 2001 was pretty similar to July 2000, and July 1993 was pretty similar to July 1992. Change happens slowly. If you feel the need to prepare for the worst, that's your choice to make, but I don't think we need to discuss it here further. (I won't be.)

King of geek cons? Maybe it's the best gaming con (comic-con has scaled back it's gaming in recent years), but definitely not the king of all nerd conventions.
I've said what I have to say. I think July 2009 will be pretty similar to July 2008 just like July 2001 was pretty similar to July 2000, and July 1993 was pretty similar to July 1992. Change happens slowly. If you feel the need to prepare for the worst, that's your choice to make, but I don't think we need to discuss it here further. (I won't be.)

Still things will change and we cannot ever be sure. Sept. 2000 to Sept. 2001. And you cannot deny President Bush had a different response than 'President' Gore would have.

King of geek cons? Maybe it's the best gaming con (comic-con has scaled back it's gaming in recent years), but definitely not the king of all nerd conventions.

No the king of Geek conventions will be LeakyCon.
hm, leakycon. I don't think I wanna know

edit: googled it; UGH!
Sign In to post comments