Don't call it a generator, but...

It's huge. It's kind of slow, but it works, mostly. May I present my character sheet [links below]

I want you to tell me every mistake I've made, and if you're a better programmer than me, why not try and tidy up that code. I stole a few ideas (and parts of images) from other character sheets around here. Thanks to everyone else who made this possible. Now, criticise!

Edit: SagaSheet 1.4

Hey, guys, let me give you the lowdown.

I've been working hard on the sheet over the past few weeks, trying to make it more user-friendly as well as updating it with the new material. I think that I've made big improvements in a lot of areas, but with the big changes are bound to come a whole Huttload of bugs.

Coincidentally, I have exams coming up in the next two weeks. It's strange to think that I started this sheet before starting uni, and these are my third year exams (and if they go well, I get to go to Harvard next year! Laughing). The downside of that is that I won't have time to work on the sheet, which also means that I haven't updated a lot of the little bugs that you guys have mentioned over the past few pages. The upside is that while I'm away, you can delve deeply into the sheet and tear it up, giving me lots of fun new work after I've finished my exams (and the subsequent celebrations).

There isn't import/export support at the moment. I'm considering moving in a whole new direction for that function - importing from the statblock format that the sheet produces. Ambitious, perhaps, but it would hopefully make the sheet a lot more cross-compatible with other products. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this sort of thing.

So, what I'm giving you is edition 1.4, and it is essentially beta. 1.41 (and probably 1.42) will hopefully be more stable (and probably slightly sleeker). I'll leave the link up for the older version.

I hope you guys understand my decision here. I'm doing this out of my own free time, and sometimes that free time just isn't there.

Thanks.

Version 1.31b

Ship Sheet 1.0 Beta

SagaSheet
It doesn't seem to add in the Dex bonus to lightsabre attacks when the Weapon Finesse feat is taken.

Oh, and I wouldn't worry about anyone jumping on your sheet - you haven't created an electronic product. Unless Lucasarts is now trying to control Microsoft Excel, I doubt there's anything they can do about it.

All you've done is use MS Excel. You haven't created an electronic product like Nazgul's old generator (man, I'd love to see a Nazgul-ised SECR generator!), all you've done is use Excel for the purpose for which is was designed - to create a spreadsheet with macros and data input.
That's because Saxton has absolutely no idea what he's talking about and is more interested in canonizing his own ridiculous ideas about Star Wars then actually giving a realistic set of data, or at least trying to stay true to the source. And he's got his crowd of fans blowing his ego and promoting his work as if it actually were decent or passable in Star Wars fiction. Everything he's written should be struck, followed by him getting struck a few times. Raul_Torin (Feb 16, 2010)
The None armour option on the Armour tab has a Ref bonus of +2 and a Max Dex of +1. My newly tested level 20 jedi master has a Dex of 18 but it will only provide a +1 bonus.

This first of all is obviously an error with the None option for armour, and second wearing armour with a Max Dex doesn't low a character's dexterity, it just prevents from adding the full value to their Rex Defense score. It does prevent the character from adding the full value of their dexterity bonus to anything else, such as attacks.

Otherwise I like it.
and second wearing armour with a Max Dex doesn't low a character's dexterity, it just prevents from adding the full value to their Rex Defense score. It does prevent the character from adding the full value of their dexterity bonus to anything else, such as attacks.

That is exactly as it should be. Go back and carefully reread the entry about Max Dex in the armor section of the Equipment chapter. It specifically states that Max Dex only applies to adding your Dex mod to Ref Def. It has been that way since DnD 3.0 (that I know of). I think most people just gloss that over and think Max Dex must mean the Maximum Dex score you can possess while in armor.
As for the sheet itself, Unfortunately I cannot comment on it. I use OpenOffice.Org and it doesnt play nice with the more complex Excel Functions. OOo can handle macros, just not excel based macros.
That is exactly as it should be. Go back and carefully reread the entry about Max Dex in the armor section of the Equipment chapter. It specifically states that Max Dex only applies to adding your Dex mod to Ref Def. It has been that way since DnD 3.0 (that I know of). I think most people just gloss that over and think Max Dex must mean the Maximum Dex score you can possess while in armor.

Whoops! I meant does not lower the dex value. I know how Max Dex works, but my L337 typing skills failed. My point is that the way Kenad Broki's fillable Excel sheet works actually lowers the dex bonus for all applications, not just wearing armour.
Whoops! I meant does not lower the dex value. I know how Max Dex works, but my L337 typing skills failed. My point is that the way Kenad Broki's fillable Excel sheet works actually lowers the dex bonus for all applications, not just wearing armour.

Ah, okay. We all fail at typing at one point or another.
Also Jedi get +1 to all their saves
Maybe I had too much to drink tonight, but I can't set classes in your sheet. Is it just me?
All you've done is use MS Excel. You haven't created an electronic product like Nazgul's old generator (man, I'd love to see a Nazgul-ised SECR generator!), all you've done is use Excel for the purpose for which is was designed - to create a spreadsheet with macros and data input.

IIRC, the auto-generation features of these sheets is what makes them "illegal" for distribution under the Lucas Empire Regulations. Again though, private use is legal just not the distribution and that's only IIRC.

*EDIT*
Maybe I had too much to drink tonight, but I can't set classes in your sheet. Is it just me?

Yes, it's just you. If you click on the small tab at the bottom of the sheet for "Abilities and Classes," you'll find a pull-down menu on the left side of the screen under abilities. ;)

You may also need to enable Macros.
Why are wookiees calculated as small??? Also, you may want to put the "core races" at the top, then a divider, and then the rest. Just a thought. You may also want to put racial modifiers for attributes at the top of each "racial ability" column in the race selection screen.

*EDIT*- Some of the other races are calculated as small and I don't think they should be either...
I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe that if you take the Force Sensitivity feat it makes the Use the Force skill a class skill. I may be wrong, but if this is the case the spreadsheet does not enable this correctly.
IIRC, the auto-generation features of these sheets is what makes them "illegal" for distribution under the Lucas Empire Regulations. Again though, private use is legal just not the distribution and that's only IIRC.

You might be right. *grrr*

It just bugs me so much that something like this, which is useless without the game, and that encourages people to get the game, gets donked on the head by LA.

I mean, are they really that moronic??
That's because Saxton has absolutely no idea what he's talking about and is more interested in canonizing his own ridiculous ideas about Star Wars then actually giving a realistic set of data, or at least trying to stay true to the source. And he's got his crowd of fans blowing his ego and promoting his work as if it actually were decent or passable in Star Wars fiction. Everything he's written should be struck, followed by him getting struck a few times. Raul_Torin (Feb 16, 2010)
You might be right. *grrr*

It just bugs me so much that something like this, which is useless without the game, and that encourages people to get the game, gets donked on the head by LA.

I mean, are they really that moronic??

Its not moronic, its legalese (yes, I meant that to be ironic). As per WotC's license with Lucas, there can be no electronic material associated with the SWRPG (that includes the minis). Infringing on the License would have WotC's butt fried with Sith Lightning.
As a law student preparing to enter my second year, the only thing I can really say is that Lucas is so incredibly protective over his rights of use because in this day and age it can be so easy to lose them. It's the same reason Marvel and DC went after City of Heroes for allowing their copyrighted characters and names from being created by players. Fan sites have also been shut down for this reason. If they don't control their rights so strictly, then knock-off merchandise can be made without any legal recourse. Lucas is the largest Nazi I've ever seen when it comes to this though. Even Bill Gates hasn't been that bad as far as I'm aware. *sigh*
As a law student preparing to enter my second year, the only thing I can really say is that Lucas is so incredibly protective over his rights of use because in this day and age it can be so easy to lose them. It's the same reason Marvel and DC went after City of Heroes for allowing their copyrighted characters and names from being created by players. Fan sites have also been shut down for this reason. If they don't control their rights so strictly, then knock-off merchandise can be made without any legal recourse. Lucas is the largest Nazi I've ever seen when it comes to this though. Even Bill Gates hasn't been that bad as far as I'm aware. *sigh*

I'm fine with it. Its good quality control. Dont get me started on the how horrible Star Trek can get (ST seems to be pretty loose with its license. There seems to be a correlation between quality and strictness of license).

Also, Didnt Marvel loose that suit with CoH? That's not even comparable to WotC and Lucas' situation. The Marvel/CoH was more like copyright infrigment. There's a written and signed Contract between WotC and Lucas. WotC must obey this contract, if they dont, there's pretty much nothing that can save them.
Also, Didnt Marvel loose that suit with CoH?

I didn't keep up with it but I believe they did. Something to do with CoH not actually creating or marketing the Marvel characters and the users were making them for "personal use" and not "commercial gain." I'd have to check if I really wanted though...

That's not even comparable to WotC and Lucas' situation. The Marvel/CoH was more like copyright infrigment. There's a written and signed Contract between WotC and Lucas. WotC must obey this contract, if they dont, there's pretty much nothing that can save them.

That's very true but Lucas has ALWAYS been protective about his rights of use. That's the reason Empire Strikes Back was almost unmade because he went $10 million over budget and couldn't cover the expense- forcing him back to Fox. WoTC isn't the only company contractually held to that standard though.
Okay...I've fixed a couple of the problems as follows:

1) The armour problem - on the Armour sheet, cell AE2 needs to have the value of "1" deleted. If it's left blank, it doesn't seem to bother the armour calcs, and it allows someone without armour to get their full Dex bonus.

2) The species being listed as "Small". Go to the Character sheet and select H7. The Lookup function needs to be changed from

=LOOKUP(Species,'Abilities and Classes'!AD19:AD150,'Abilities and Classes'!AQ19:AQ150)

to

=LOOKUP(Species,'Abilities and Classes'!AD19:AD211,'Abilities and Classes'!AQ19:AQ211)

Note the "150" changed to "211" in two places. It looks like Kenad originally had the species going down to line 150, and later added more or shifted the table but didn't update the formula.

I hope you don't mind me jumping in with these, Kenad - it's just that I really like your sheet, and I was fiddling around with it in the wee hours whilst watching Buffy, and I thought I'd try and fix the bugs...:D
Cheers, I came to similar conclusions!:D

Bug fixes from the floor are more than welcome!

Updated the sheet.
Is there a way to make it so that skills gained from intelligence modifier are able to be spent on any skill? or how do i add a class skill?
As a lawyer I can tell you that until a legitmate person claims that you are affecting his rights, there is nothing illegal in anything you do. While this legitmte person remains quiet about the issue, he is giving a tacit consentiment to your actions. Of course he may claim he was unware of the fact, but the onus probandi is his.
So nothing you do is illegal until someone with rights over it says it is illegal, the law does not apply itself for its mere existence, it needs the human desire for action ;).
And everything I said is wrong only if a competent judge with proper jurisdiction officially decides that :D
As a lawyer I can tell you that until a legitmate person claims that you are affecting his rights, there is nothing illegal in anything you do. While this legitmte person remains quiet about the issue, he is giving a tacit consentiment to your actions. Of course he may claim he was unware of the fact, but the onus probandi is his.
So nothing you do is illegal until someone with rights over it says it is illegal ;).
And everything I said is wrong only if a competent judge with proper jurisdiction officially decides that :D

I have no reason to not believe, but a general rule of thumb is to take advice from anonymous, faceless posters with several grains of salt.
I realize that I'm a law student while you are a lawyer (assuming we're both telling the truth which is probably the case), BUT as soon as you commit an offense you have broken the law. Someone can assert the claim at a later time, for example after additional evidence is gathered, but that does not mean that the law has not been violated because a charge has not been brought forth yet. That's part of the reason we have a statute of limitations. Possible charges aren't left looming over people's heads ("You stole when you turned 19 and even though you're in your 60's and retiring, the law's the law). It's like the "if a tree falls in the forest" type question. YES, a sound was still made even if no one heard it.
I realize that I'm a law student while you are a lawyer (assuming we're both telling the truth which is probably the case), BUT as soon as you commit an offense you have broken the law. Someone can assert the claim at a later time, for example after additional evidence is gathered, but that does not mean that the law has not been violated because a charge has not been brought forth yet. That's part of the reason we have a statute of limitations. Possible charges aren't left looming over people's heads ("You stole when you turned 19 and even though you're in your 60's and retiring, the law's the law). It's like the "if a tree falls in the forest" type question. YES, a sound was still made even if no one heard it.

But the present case is about private law, property and rights. LucasArts may have knowledge of this software and say "it's ok, you can do it", or it may say "it's infringing our rights!".
If you enter my house and start living there, you are not infringing my rights until I ask you to get out.
Of course, law is different from place to place, culture to ulture between common law and roman germanic law, etc.
Can we drop the Law speak and get back to the Character sheet?

is there an easy way to edit what skills are class skills?
I noticed the Equipment does not fill in the page 2 equipment section of the sheet.
Daeglan, if you want to add a class skill, then add a one to the columns to the right of the skills lists. The font is white so they don't show up to the naked eye

Good hunting!

I'm working on the rest of the issues...
will i tried to make up a wookiee scoundrel and under Species and Misc as -4 Strength and +4 Dexterity for every Species i try except humans
I can't seem to get the program to work.. I'm using MS Excel 2007.
Fun, friendly community specializing in play by post games for every system and free from gaming. Come check us out. Star Wars: Dawn of Defiance campaign
If you enter my house and start living there, you are not infringing my rights until I ask you to get out.

Not true. The reason we have classifications of people on property (trespasser, invitee, and licensee) is BECAUSE as soon as you step onto someone's land your classification, and thus the legality of it, begins immediately without any action on the part of the owner.

Can we drop the Law speak and get back to the Character sheet?

Sorry. You're right though, this thread should be about the character sheet.

I noticed the Equipment does not fill in the page 2 equipment section of the sheet.

I didn't notice. Man, that's sad.

will i tried to make up a wookiee scoundrel and under Species and Misc as -4 Strength and +4 Dexterity for every Species i try except humans

I got something similar. I tried to make a Cerean with a 18 dex point buy and though it calculated the -2 correctly, changing it to 16, this applied to my bonus as well, giving me a max dex bonus of +1. Maybe I missed something?
you have to turn on Macros. there is a subtle bar under the ribbon to do so. Works on my office2007
I got something similar. I tried to make a Cerean with a 18 dex point buy and though it calculated the -2 correctly, changing it to 16, this applied to my bonus as well, giving me a max dex bonus of +1. Maybe I missed something?

It is an Imperial Sheet. Non humans are only useful as slaves... Didn't you get the memo?
It is an Imperial Sheet. Non humans are only useful as slaves... Didn't you get the memo?

I must have missed it when I was filing the daily TPS report. ;)
Created a Jedi 1, gave him Force Intuition (use the Use the Force skill for Initiative). Lists him with his default Init +2 from Dex, not the talent adjusted Init. Is that intentional?
I got a visiB erro in this code

Dim box(7) As String
y = 0
stringstart = 1
stringend = 1
For x = 1 To 7
stringend = Len(box(x)) + 1
If Len(name) > 40 Then
While Len(box(x)) < 40 * x
box(x) = Mid(name, stringstart, InStr(stringend + stringstart - 1, name, ", ") - stringstart + 2)
stringend = Len(box(x))

The Italicized text was highlighted.

in version 1.11
Adding Deflect gave me an error 28 out of stack space when choosing class for a talent.
Updated to appease everyone's criticism (mostly).

Keep the testing coming, guys!:D

Edit: I'll work on those two bugs tomorrow, Daeglan and Jason_Langlois. It's getting pretty late here
It's huge. It's kind of slow, but it works, mostly.

May I present my character sheet.

I want you to tell me every mistake I've made, and if you're a better programmer than me, why not try and tidy up that code.

I stole a few ideas (and parts of images) from other character sheets around here. Thanks to everyone else who made this possible.

Now, criticise!

Edit: Updated to v1.11

That mediafire site doesn't work for me. It doesn't let me download. It says I have to enable cookies, but they are. Grrrr.
No problem. if i get anymore of them i will let you know.

here is some data that might help you find the problem.

level 19 showed up after adding rapid strike it appears to be in CL1 sheet.
That mediafire site doesn't work for me. It doesn't let me download. It says I have to enable cookies, but they are. Grrrr.

Close the Frame WotC puts on outbound links. You should be able to download it just fine.
Close the Frame WotC puts on outbound links. You should be able to download it just fine.

Doh! Thanks, that did it
Sign In to post comments