starter question on the Force

I just got the saga edition rulebook, and I need you to clarify something.
Do all the heroic characters have force points? and do all classes/races allow taking the feat Force Training in conjunction with force sensitivity? coz through novel and film experiences I got the picture that all force-users were either Jedi or Sith, and that scoundrels for example (Han Solo) did not have access to the force at all

thanks for any replies
I just got the saga edition rulebook, and I need you to clarify something.
Do all the heroic characters have force points? and do all classes/races allow taking the feat Force Training in conjunction with force sensitivity? coz through novel and film experiences I got the picture that all force-users were either Jedi or Sith, and that scoundrels for example (Han Solo) did not have access to the force at all

thanks for any replies

Yes, all heroic characters get Force Points. If it helps any, don't think of them as Force Points in terms of OCR/RCR, but as Action Points from d20 Modern.

Unless specifically stated, you can take Force Training for any race/class combo, provided you meet the requirements (i.e. have the Force Sensitivity feat and are trained in Use the Force). Another helpful bit is to not think of the Heroic class names as set-in-stone job descriptions like they were in the RCR, but more as a theme. Han may not have had any Force abilities, but Mara Jade did, and she certainly had a few scoundrel levels under her belt. Also, Force User =/ Jedi in Saga Edition, as the idea was to take the RCR's notion of a 'Force adept' and open it up to allow you to create a non-Jedi/Sith Force-user from any background, not just primitive ones like the old Force Adept class shoe-horned you into.
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, then you've never been on acid." - Eddie Izzard Proud member of the Gamer Nation.
ok, I'm not that familiar with the old Star Wars rpg, as I'm just starting to read the novels (which are GREAT!!!).
But thanks anyway, that clears a lot of confusion on my part.

how did the old system handle force (if you've got and want to use up some time to explain that is)

Action points are indeed what they seem to be :D
The old system had a myriad of skills related to using the Force, as opposed to only one. And how many skill points you could invest in each skill was dependant on your Jedi/Force Adept level.

If you want to see something that is somewhere in between Saga and RCR, check the link in my sig.
how did the old system handle force (if you've got and want to use up some time to explain that is)

Action points are indeed what they seem to be :D

(Please note: I am doing this from memory, as my rule books for previous versions are in storage. Therefore the below may be a bit wrong in minor details (ie how long bonuses lasted, etc), but it should give you a good idea of how it worked.)

First PCs got far fewer Force Points, 1 or maybe 2 per adventure, IIRC & they were generally GM awards (ie, for good roleplaying, etc) except for the ones you got when you made a character; but in Saga (current version of rules), everyone starts a new level with a certain number, depending on class & whether they have Force Boon feat.

The old mechanic for using Force Points (FPs) was similar to 1 of the FP uses in Saga: You could spend an FP & roll dice that would then modify your d20 rolls for a turn/round. As in Saga, the # of dice rolled varied with level, but you used the total on all dice, not just the highest. All PCs got FPs & used them the same way, but those with Force Sensitivity had the option of "Calling on the Darkside," which at low-mid levels gave you more bonus dice.
If you have read about Destiny Points in Saga, I would say that under the older rules, you got FPs roughly as often as you now get Destiny Points & players used FPs the way they would now use Destiny Points--rarely & only in situations where nothing else would help.
The only "species" that can not have Force Sensitive are Yuzhan Vong, Hutts and droids. The RCR used a bad system for force powers, where each single power was a different skill that made the Jedi look like one-trick ponies or a "nuklear power Red Mage". It sucked.
"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players,* to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time. --- * i.e., everybody." When it comes to continuity, Darth Flannel is as dependable and consistent as, um ... um ... um ... well ... okay, how about this: When it comes to shanking continuity in his own universe, Darth Flannel is as dependable and consistent as death and taxes. - by DarthPancake
The only "species" that can not have Force Sensitive are Yuzhan Vong, Hutts and droids.

Hutts can be force sensitive.
nuclear power red mage HA, FR has it's things :D.

but really, thanks for the responses. It's good to be able to play someone that's NOT a jedi, but does have the force (though flipping through the book, the jedi seems strong).

I like the fact that classes gain many hp at lvl1, that's a good addition. Makes low-level play a bit more variable i think (havent played yet)

the 10+1/2 level thing is good, tested it a little on my own, but it seems more balanced, more natural. as does removing AC.

well i like i think :D
Hutts can be force sensitive.

Yes, that is right. I assumed that the Force Resistance also made them unable to choose the feat, but this is only for the YV.
"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players,* to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time. --- * i.e., everybody." When it comes to continuity, Darth Flannel is as dependable and consistent as, um ... um ... um ... well ... okay, how about this: When it comes to shanking continuity in his own universe, Darth Flannel is as dependable and consistent as death and taxes. - by DarthPancake
not that it matters much, but ssi-ruuk are force blind. no force feat for them.
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
Sign In to post comments