Why the two-week login limit?

Why does the login cookie only last for two weeks? Is there really such a danger of someone stealing my computer, and making role-playing posts as if they're me?

Logging in every two weeks is annoying, and no other message board I know of does that. In general, they either keep you logged in forever, or do something like keep you logged in for a year since your last visit (re-generating the cookie each time you visit).

It's particularly wierd to be using the WotC boards, and then suddenly be logged out, and have to visit a page with a totally different user interface to re-enter my username and password.

Could you consider fixing this?
Why does the login cookie only last for two weeks? Is there really such a danger of someone stealing my computer, and making role-playing posts as if they're me?

Logging in every two weeks is annoying, and no other message board I know of does that. In general, they either keep you logged in forever, or do something like keep you logged in for a year since your last visit (re-generating the cookie each time you visit).

It's particularly wierd to be using the WotC boards, and then suddenly be logged out, and have to visit a page with a totally different user interface to re-enter my username and password.

Could you consider fixing this?

I will look into it!
Please!
Thank you, Erik.
ditto
[thread=942744]Tritto[/thread]. (Triple-ditto.)

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

As expected this is a security feature. This may be adjusted in the future.
Yes, but why? Plenty of other sites never expire.
John Ling Freelance Writer/Editor PM for availability VCL for General Gaming and play-by-post groups
As I said in the thread I linked to, it may be intended as a security feature, but it's a lousy one. It's an inconvenience that did not used to exist and does not accomplish its stated purpose in any effective manner, and the problem that the inconvenience is supposed to solve can quite likely be more effectively dealt with through other, less inconveniencing means.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I will make sure to pass the feedback along. I know how frusterating it is, trust me.

As staff we have to log in with no cookies almost everytime!
I'd like that changed as well.

I'll also point out that above the login here link is one that says "Wondering why blah blah blah..?" and that link leads to a dead page.
I'll also point out that above the login here link is one that says "Wondering why blah blah blah..?" and that link leads to a dead page.

I have sent this info along. Thanks for the heads up!
I will also add my voice to changing this annoying feature.
Think you can survive a zombie attack? Click here to find out.

It Came From Section Four!
Warning: Posts my contain evil.

Orc in the House of Trolls
Another vote for permanent cookies here. Were this Springfield, we'd be a mob already.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
Get rid of the ing 2 weeks thing.

Please?
Thank you, Erik.

Seconded.
Thirded, quadritto'd, whatever the next ordinal is.
Actually, I've just had it pointed out to me that Mozilla Firefox users can make themselves immune to the 2 week problem.

Goto the Firefox add-ons main page and look for the Cookie Editor.
It will show you the complete list of cookies, look for the one for Gleemax. You'll probably find several of them, but they won't expire for ages (one to eleven years), or that the expire at the end of the session. Leave those. But there should be one set to expire within 2 weeks.

Edit it.

Change the cookie to expire in 2020 or some other ridiculous date.
Then it doesn't matter what they make the login duration be, yours should stay logged in.

I just did this myself, and here's hoping I never see that blasted login screen ever again.

+1.
Agreed
Actually, I've just had it pointed out to me that Mozilla Firefox users can make themselves immune to the 2 week problem.

It will show you the complete list of cookies, look for the one for Gleemax. You'll probably find several of them, but they won't expire for ages (one to eleven years), or that the expire at the end of the session. Leave those. But there should be one set to expire within 2 weeks.

Edit it.

Then it doesn't matter what they make the login duration be, yours should stay logged in.

I just did this myself, and here's hoping I never see that blasted login screen ever again.

IMAGE(http://www.members.shaw.ca/eogan/emoticons/kiss.gif)

Thank you!

Agreed.
Good Trades: 18 Bad Trades: 1

Edit it.

I've just been converted to firefox. Time to download it.
Maybe to better protect everyone's account, the login should be daily. Now that will keep my PM's secure. :P

Edit it.

DUDE!!! That rocks. Now to see if it works.

PS - This is the cookie editor I installed:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/573
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
and :sigh:
Thank you, Erik.
Sigh.

Thank you, Erik.
Maybe to better protect everyone's account, the login should be daily. Now that will keep my PM's secure. :P

Not just that, but won't allow your Little Brother to get you banned by hopping in on your name and breaking the CoC.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.
:thumbsdow :rolleye2: :rolleye2: :rolleye2: :rolleye2: :rolleye2:
Thank you, Erik.

Edit it.

You can also use Web Developer extension to edit cookies and a lot of other stuff as well. I also edit cookie for that.

Add my voice to the demand for an unexpiring login.
:cryweeptired:
Thank you, Erik.
All the leaves are brown. And the sky is gray.
Thank you, Erik.
Hang on to your hopes my friend
That's an easy thing to say

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Seasons change with the scenery,
Weaving time in a tapestry.
Won't they stop and remember me?
For a more convenient time.
Soooooo annoying!

Five months and many user complaints later, nothing has been done about this very simple problem. It's been clearly demonstrated that there are no significant negative effects to removing the two-week limit. I've never seen another forum with such a limit, implying that the minimal security issues that exist do not matter. And yet, the annoyance continues fortnight after fortnight... Note that, if people care about security, they can just not check the remember password box.

Wow. A legitimate use for the word "fortnight."

I just got here yesterday, not only has the login issue not been resolved (and I know in 2 weeks it will bug me), but the above mentioned dead link is still dead 4 months later. *sigh*
In case any Gleemax administrators are interested for market research or whatever, I've largely stopped reading the WotC forums, in part because of the annoyance of the two-week thing.