The Dark Cabinet
Castle Black, Korth (secret) Leadership: Count Goff Toriun
, the Minister of Intelligence; four directors report to the minister, one for each of the directorates. The directors are know only by their code names to protect their identities.
- "Forge", Director of Espionage
- "The Wraith", Director of Security
- "Stiletto", Director of Artifice
- "Cypher", Director of Clerks
Officially, the Dark Cabinet does not exist. As far as the rest of Khorvaire, and most Karrns, are concerned, Karrnath has no central espionage organization, bur rather each warlord maintains their own spies. While it is true the warlords extensively use spies, King Kaius does maintain a powerful shadow service: the Dark Cabinet.
The Dark Cabinet is the principal organization of Karrnath's Ministry of Intelligence. The organization is very secretive, and few outside its members and the highest officials in government know of its existence, much less its workings. At one time the Order of the Emerald Claw dominated the organization, and rumors suggest that group's influence is still significant.
The Cabinet has four divisions, called directorates. Each division is overseen by a Director, and has an extensive administrative and support staff. The identities of personnel, operatives, and especially directors is a closely guarded state secret.
- The Directorate of Espionage handles clandestine intelligence-gathering operations, typically outside Karrrnath. There are rumored to be field offices in nearly every city on Khorvaire, as well as Aerenal and Stormreach.
- The Directorate of Security primarily deals with internal threats, both foreign and domestic. This directorate maintains counter-intelligence operations, and (according to rumor) the secret police.
- The Directorate of Artifice is the research and development arm of the Cabinet. In addition to alchemical and magical technologies, there are specialized groups who research poison craft, necromancy, divination, and planar mechanics.
- The Clerical Directorate incorporates the various "desk" jobs of the Dark Cabinet, including data analysis, code breaking, record keeping, and various areas of expertise that do not require field work.
Members of the Dark Cabinet adhere to a series of ranks. Many agents also hold military ranks as well.
- Director: Each of the four directorates has a director. Directors are know almost exclusively by their code names to protect their identities.
- Assistant Director: Each director has three or four assistant directors, who oversee various sections of the division.
- Deputy Director: Each assistant director in turn has two or three deputy directors who manage operations.
- Inspector: Inspectors oversee several teams of agents. In the Directorate of Artifice, "Quartermaster" is the equivalent rank.
- Chief Agent: A chief agent, or handler, leads a group of agents in the field.
- Agent: The rank and file operatives. Clerical agents are referred to as "Analysts", while Artifice agents are called "Specialists".