I started a project of my fantastic medieval world few years ago. My plans it's to write a book and be a dungeon master for my friends. They were asking me for a long time for that, but I need to finish my world to start playing it and one day write my own book.
It's so hard to create and world, so you need a strategy to build, then I bring my idea to you guys:
- First you need an idea for a big campaign - This way is easier to create your world, becouse the story will build your map, will get you to the past, and help you to see things in the future.
- Start to create the civilizations - A rich fantastic world is rich in details, so if you get different kind of culture, will make your job more special.
- Give them names and basic information - Get every empire, kingdom or tribe and write things like: name/kind of govern/name of governant/economy/nobility/religion/topics of history/geography/important places/personalities/interesting things/etc.
- Go deep in the kingdoms - After the basic things, you will have material to bring some sense to the world, it will bring answers as fast as you can imagine, then you can write more about its history and the meaning of every place inside the world.
- Bring the characters to life - That's my favorite part, now you can create a lot of characters because they are so important for the world, everyone has your own desires and personality. The world is there, so you should think like you are inside as a character and think how he can be, random personality is welcome too, but always remember: they build the world.
- Come back to the main campaign - Now you have a big material to set you main campaign, just make it in pieces to create something bigger and detailed. Don't forget to explore the world as much as you can.
- Create small adventures to explore the world - There is so many creatures and stories to add to the players have fun. That will help to create special places and give more life to the world. Also is a best idea to help in the experience and watch the heroes desires.
This is the first step, there is so much to work, including find someone to draw things about my world...
"I want to open gates of my mind, and let the swords and magic flow." -me
See you the next post!